Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 29, 2010 9:48 AM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was a pretty good little movie about murdering robots and getting them pregnant. Didn't see that topic popping up when I started watching the movie. O__O

Oct 16, 2010 1:10 PM
Oct 2010
Haven't watched it yet myself but all the clips I've seen look to be from the other 2 Armitage anime's, what's the difference? Is this just a compilation of the other 2 or is it something different?
May 11, 2012 8:59 PM

Apr 2012
it's a compilation of the 4 OVAs from 95 (with a little alteration)

Personally I think it's a vast improvement. You miss a few entertaining scenes but plotwise it suits this format much better, makes more sense and has more engaging pacing. The OVA meandered a little too much for my liking, though losing scenes with Armitage strutting her kinky stuff is a shame.

The dub's good too (it was made with English as the primary soundtrack). Elizabeth Berkley does a great job as Armitage, Keifer Sutherland is stiff as a board though
Dec 9, 2013 1:32 PM

Dec 2013
Pretty Good flick. The art doesn't compare to Ghost in the Shell tho.

One thing I still don't really get: Why did earth want the Thirds dead and what does that have to do with earth having a "feminist" government.

Kinda messed up how feminist is alluded to be a bad thing in this movie...
Love and Peace!!!
Apr 7, 2014 7:29 PM
Jun 2009
Thund3r1 said:
Kinda messed up how feminist is alluded to be a bad thing in this movie...

That's not message up at all. Have you ever talked to a hardcore feminist?

Feminism is most definitely a bad thing. Equality is what should be aimed for, screw feminists and their whiny shit.
Feb 6, 2015 7:38 PM

Feb 2013
I liked it. Good action and a decent story. Armitage is a pretty interesting and likable character... nice upgrades at the end for sure.

Based on what I've seen said regarding this vs OVA... I probably would have liked the OVA more if it really has more of Armitage fooling around.
Jan 21, 2017 6:48 PM

Apr 2012
By "feminist" they just mean "human women being necessary for procreation" :P ie not cyborgs with wombs. That's not a hugely militant position in the grand scheme of things ~!

Not entirely sold on the movie's story being very great (and Sutherland does really suck) so may go back to the OVAs next time around.

Oh this is weird. Just wanted to see where each OVA corresponded to the film. Noticed a number of new scenes and reanimated parts, not just at the end.

eg
- Ross getting a cybernetic leg, then visiting the morgue - not in the OVA? Takes place right after OVA 1 ends
- where Armitage is fighting D'Anclaud in the hospital (= end of OVA 3) the fight is different and there's no cyberspace "duel" in the OVA.

Haven't done a side-by-side comparison but I didn't realise this (or I just forgot). No wonder there's no Jap dub of the film as they did more than just cut parts out and change the ending.
BlackoutingJan 24, 2017 10:26 AM
Feb 6, 2017 7:28 PM

Jun 2008
It was pretty good, I saw the OVAs and wanted to see what differences I would find in the Polymatrix movie. They added a couple of new scenes but they also took out a lot of other stuff from the OVAs. You don't really lose much story wise and the pacing is good so you still get the full Armitage experience.

The only thing that I didn't really like was the ending in the movie. It's different from the OVAs, it's not a bad ending, just different. The OVAs ended in a happier note while the movie ends in a kind of, "what's going to happen now" type of feel.

They also took out the part where Armitage and Ross visit Pluto and the other thirds in cyberspace. I thought that was an important scene, but the movie completely omits it.

Still recommend both versions, both very good. Big Armitage fan here lol.
Testament956Feb 6, 2017 7:31 PM
Mar 27, 2017 2:13 AM

Aug 2014
I wonder if it's just the uploaders version I downloaded.... but the scenes are cropped to fit widescreen. Compared to the OVA every shot is always much larger. ex, the top of Armitage's head is cropped off...
here's a pic

I can't find Poly Matrix anywhere else either.
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
May 9, 2018 6:11 PM

Feb 2013
Rewatched... after watching OVA.

6/10 (above average, unchanged from before, same as OVA)
Weakness: english (one expects better from Kiefer Sutherland, "Nooo!" lol). Strength: plot flows a little better.

BlurredVision18 said:
I wonder if it's just the uploaders version I downloaded.... but the scenes are cropped to fit widescreen. Compared to the OVA every shot is always much larger. ex, the top of Armitage's head is cropped off...
here's a pic

I can't find Poly Matrix anywhere else either.
It's 16:10 aspect ratio.
(screenshot after cropping, slight deblocking, with aspect resized for square pixels)

You could just do what I did and buy the DVDs.
BurntJellyMay 9, 2018 6:24 PM
Jan 30, 2020 12:32 PM

Nov 2015
That dude D'anclaude or whatever reminds me of the stupid, better known as Vic Minogna.

why not japanese audio available? 🤔
Berry-VodkaDec 20, 2020 11:18 AM

💢

Dec 7, 2021 1:24 PM
Apr 2019
Was this film ever released in Japanese?
Dec 9, 2021 9:43 AM

Dec 2015
Aboocalypse said:
Was this film ever released in Japanese?

Of course, I saw a DVD of it.
Sep 9, 2023 4:03 PM

Dec 2022
It's a shame this only had an English dub, which aren't my preference. It's also noticeably shorter than the OVA, which led to many scenes being omitted, making the pacing seem a bit more hurried.
Archean-ReturnNov 7, 2023 6:03 AM

Shaded Horizon

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.