Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 3, 2011 3:38 PM

Feb 2011
I'm from Mexico City, which is located in Mexico (stating the obvious is an specialty of mine).

As you may know we are fighting a "war against organized crime" which is at a stalemate, since most of the government is the organized crime (you know corrupt politicians and bureaucrats), election year is coming (2012) and since this a three-party system country, parties struggle for power not for people. It is known fact that almost all our former presidents and people of importance either continue ruling from the shadows or flee the country.

An anime could be made about this. . .
Apr 3, 2011 4:58 PM
Mar 2011
Edmonton Canada :]
Apr 3, 2011 5:42 PM

Aug 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada

Apr 4, 2011 6:38 AM

Nov 2008
I'm from Finland, hmmh, I can't really think about any funny facts though. I'm too ignorant with history and other stuff 8)
Apr 5, 2011 6:16 PM
Dec 2010
Im from NYC
Apr 6, 2011 8:38 AM

Apr 2010
From Lithuania the country which loves basketball :D its our 2nd religion :D
Apr 12, 2011 5:20 PM
Apr 2010
high five, santechnikas;D I`m from Lithuania too;D
Apr 13, 2011 8:49 AM

Jun 2010
Philippines. 0_0
Apr 13, 2011 7:42 PM

Oct 2009
NVC B.C. Represent! ;)

Apr 14, 2011 2:01 AM

Jan 2011
I'm from a little suburb outside of Gary Indiana called Chicago Illinois
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Apr 14, 2011 4:29 PM

Jul 2008
Quebec,Canada nothing interesting here lol.
Apr 15, 2011 9:59 PM

Nov 2009
Cuba

It is illegal to eat red meat outside tourist resorts.
Apr 16, 2011 5:45 AM

Nov 2007
Born in Japan, grew up in Taiwan, been in the US (California) for 6 years, and is currently in Taiwan for grad. school.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 16, 2011 7:08 AM

Dec 2008
I live in Nebraska in the United States. Woo for boring midwest. This state lives off of its college american football team.

Interesting facts:
Kool-Aid was invented by Edwin Perkins in 1927 in Hastings. He changed his soft drink syrup, Fruit Smack, into a powder to make it easier to ship.
The Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha has the world's biggest indoor rain forest exhibit.
It is illegal to go whale fishing in Nebraska.
On football game days, Memorial Stadium has the 3rd largest population in the state.
The 911 system of emergency communications, now used nationwide, was developed and first used in Lincoln, Nebraska.
In Blue Hill, Nebraska, no female wearing a "hat that would scare a timid person” can be seen eating onions in public.
cb27dedApr 17, 2011 7:37 PM
How long would it take to earn 50 million yen, Karasawa? - Katsuya
No longer than it would take to get to the bank, provided I have a gun. -Karasawa
I'm through talking with you. -Katsuya
Apr 17, 2011 5:57 PM

Mar 2011
I'm from York in the UK

Interesting facts about UK:
Population: 61.9 million (UN, 2010)
Area: 242,514 sq km (93,638 sq miles)
Ethnicity: white (of which English 83.6%, Scottish 8.6%, Welsh 4.9%, Northern Irish 2.9%) 92.1%, black 2%, Indian 1.8%, Pakistani 1.3%, mixed 1.2%, other 1.6% (2001 census)
Nowhere in Britain is more than 74½ miles from the sea.

Strange UK Laws:
1. Dying is illegal in the Houses of Parliaments.
2. Placing a postage stamp bearing the monarch’s head upside down on an envelope is considered as act of treason.
3. It is illegal for two adult men to have sex in the same house as a third person.
4. It is an executable offense to allow your pet to mate with a pet of the royal house without permission.
4. The Library Offences Act of 1898 makes it illegal to gamble in a library.
5. In 1647 the English Parliament abolished Christmas. (It was later repealed)

York Facts:
York has a population of 185,000
4 million visitors a year spend £291m in York, creating 9,279 jobs
It used to be that you were allowed, on Sundays, to shoot a scotsman from the city walls, but only with a bow and arrow and only if you had been born within the walls!
Also, there is a really small street called Whip-ma-Whop-ma-Gate, only just longer than it is wide. It used to be that if your wife was unfaithful when drunk, you could take her there and beat her sober.
Doing either now would get you arrested pretty quickly!
Apr 17, 2011 6:27 PM

Aug 2010
FLORIDA. some people may think i'm lucky but the heat here gets annoying <_<
Apr 17, 2011 7:43 PM
Sep 2009
I'm from São Paulo, Brazil.
The country whose religion is Soccer, and well, Carnival (Which I really dislike by the way...)
Brazil is the largest country in South America. It is the world's fifth largest country, both by geographical area and by population with over 190 million people.

Well, interesting facts about Brazil, hmm...
Everyone MUST vote at the election (it's obrigatory here)
We don't Write Brazil with a Z (instead we Write it with a S)
The Japanese culture have a LOT fans here, many of them with more than 18 years old.

I'm gonna take advantage of this topic to ask, (I always wanted to...)
What do you Guys know about Brazil?
(It's just curiosity...)
Apr 17, 2011 9:29 PM

Mar 2011
Well said:
The country whose religion is Soccer, and well, Carnival (Which I really dislike by the way...)
Brazil is the largest country in South America. It is the world's fifth largest country, both by geographical area and by population with over 190 million people.

The Japanese culture have a LOT fans here, many of them with more than 18 years old.

(It's just curiosity...)

What do I know about Brazil? Butts. Not lying, that's what i see a lot of times when Brazil is being shown on tv or something.
Apr 18, 2011 6:48 AM

Apr 2011
I'm from Portugal
Apr 18, 2011 9:46 AM

Mar 2011
Well said:
(It's just curiosity...)

What do I know about Brazil? It's one of the four main developing countries (part of the BRIC economic group), national football team is good, the anti-deforestisation police are under-equipped and under-staffed compared to the organised gangs they are going against, high rate of teen pregnancy (compared to, say, South Korea, but very low compared to the UK)
Apr 18, 2011 3:26 PM

Apr 2011
I live in Virginia, USA.

Interesting Facts of Virginia:
- Virginia was named for England's "Virgin Queen," Elizabeth I.
- Jamestown, the first of the original 13 Colonies was founded for the purpose of silk cultivation. Silk to be traded with the Court of King James. After blight fungus destroyed the mulberry trees (silkworm food), sericulturist planted tobacco as a cash crop.
- Jamestown was the first English settlement in the U.S. It was also the first capital of Virginia.
- Virginia is known as "the birthplace of a nation".
- Eight United States Presidents were born in Virginia: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, William Harrison, John Tyler, Zachary Taylor, and Woodrow Wilson.
- Six Presidents' wives were born in Virginia: Martha Washington, Martha Jefferson, Rachel Jackson, Letitia Tyler, Ellen Arthur, Edith Wilson.
-The present state capital in Richmond was also the capital of the Confederacy.
- The College of William and Mary in Williamsburg is the second oldest in the United States, it was founded in 1693.
- The State nickname is "Old Dominion".
- The State flower is not really a flower, but the blossom of the dogwood tree, which is also the state tree.
- The first peanuts grown in the United States were grown in Virginia.
- The Blue Ridge Mountains are located in Virginia.
- The American Revolution ended with the surrender of Cornwallis in Yorktown.
- The state motto is "Sic Semper Tyrannis". (Thus always to tyrants)
- Union Passenger Railway was the first successful electric street railway transit agency. It was formed in 1888 at Richmond.
- The states of Kentucky & West Virginia were formed from sections of the state of Virginia
- About 1/2 of all the people in the United States live within a 500 mile radius of the Capital of Virginia.
- The Pentagon building in Arlington is the largest office building in the world.
- Dulles International Airport is one of the busiest airports in the world.
- The first Thanksgiving in North America was held in Virginia in 1619.
- Virginia has been dubbed the "Internet Capital of the world".
- The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is the world's largest bridge-tunnel complex.
- Wild Ponies have roamed freely on Assateague Island for centuries.
- The world's only oyster museum is on Chincoteague Island.
- Patrick Henry made his "Give me Liberty or Give me Death" speech in St. John's Church in Richmond.
- Bristol is legally two cities but they share the same main street. One in Virginia and one in Tennessee each with its own government and city services.
-Several Native American tribes lived in Virginia -- Cherokee, Powhatan, Manahoac, Meherrin, Monacan, Nahyssan, Nottaway, Occaneechi, Saponi, Shawnee, and Tutelo.

Weird Laws in Virginia:
-Chickens cannot lay eggs before 8:00 a.m., and must be done before 4:00 p.m.
-An unmarried person can not have sex, this crime is punishable as a class 4 misdemener.
-Driving with out wearing shoes is phohibited.
-It's illegal to tickle women.
-In Lebanon it's illegal to kick your wife out of bed.
-In Norfolk a man may face up to 60 days in jail for patting a woman's derriere ---(bottom).
-Also in Norfolk spitting on a seagull is not tolerated.
-In Richmond it's illegal to flip a coin at any eating establishment to see who pays for coffee.
-In Victoria it's illegal to skate down the sidewalk of Maine Street.
-In Virginia Beach it's illegal to ride on the handlebars of a bicycle.
-It is illegal to have sex in any other position besides missionary.
Apr 21, 2011 10:27 PM
Apr 2011
São Paulo , BRASIL
Apr 26, 2011 9:13 AM

Mar 2011
Bulgaria, Europe
Apr 26, 2011 9:43 PM
Jan 2009
I'm from West Michigan region.
Apr 27, 2011 9:02 PM
Apr 2011
I'm from smack dab in the middle of Indiana.

Pretty boring here, and you usually get the crap kicked out of you if you tell anyone you like anime/manga, which sadly means hiding it for the most part.

uhh...fun Indiana facts...

By law you have to bathe at least once a year.
It is unlawful to have sex in any position other than the missionary position.
My favorite...by law if you see a horse on the road you are about to pass in your vehicle, you are to dismember your car into pieces and hide them off the road...as to not spook the horse.
Apr 28, 2011 10:16 AM

Mar 2011
P4Brotagonist said:
Pretty boring here, and you usually get the crap kicked out of you if you tell anyone you like anime/manga, which sadly means hiding it for the most part.

This always seems nuts to me! Here in the UK, we have this image of the US as the land of the free. Hell, you kicked our asses 200~250 years ago for the right to liberty of expression! And yet it seems anyone who doesn't live in one of the big coastal cities has to put up with really oppressive bullshit!

What happened to the American dream that's in all the movies we import over here? Did it die after the civil war? Or was it only an illusion to begin with?
Apr 29, 2011 2:51 AM

Jan 2008
PrometheusZero said:

This always seems nuts to me! Here in the UK, we have this image of the US as the land of the free.

I thought we had the image that America has paranoia overload since that plane crashed into that tower?
Apr 29, 2011 10:49 PM
Sep 2009
LCDD said:
Well said:

(It's just curiosity...)

What do I know about Brazil? Butts. Not lying, that's what i see a lot of times when Brazil is being shown on tv or something.

Yes, LCDD, I forgot about the butts, and almost naked women. Yeah that's the other thing about Brazil =X
Apr 29, 2011 11:00 PM
Sep 2009
PrometheusZero said:
Well said:
(It's just curiosity...)

What do I know about Brazil? It's one of the four main developing countries (part of the BRIC economic group), national football team is good, the anti-deforestisation police are under-equipped and under-staffed compared to the organised gangs they are going against, high rate of teen pregnancy (compared to, say, South Korea, but very low compared to the UK)

huashuah, Well I know that they are under-armed and under-organized, and I'm glad that someone outside the country cares for that, but hey, money speaks louder than IBAMA (The Brazilian Institute of Envoronment and Renewable resources). Really? UK, have a rate of teen pregnancy higher than Brazil? God dammit, now, this is new to me.
May 3, 2011 9:45 AM

Mar 2011
Well said:
huashuah, Well I know that they are under-armed and under-organized, and I'm glad that someone outside the country cares for that, but hey, money speaks louder than IBAMA (The Brazilian Institute of Envoronment and Renewable resources). Really? UK, have a rate of teen pregnancy higher than Brazil? God dammit, now, this is new to me.

Yeah, I watched a really good documentary series about a former officer/survival expert who just sailed up the Amazon, meeting and living with all the tribes he met, and looked at the social and economic effects national and world policy was having on them. There was an entire episode devoted to deforestation!

And as for the teen pregnancy thing, it's crazy but for the most part, the first world has the highest rates with the third world the lowest, and the developing world (such as Brazil) is in the middle!

I don't know why, but several different organisations agree on this point (ONS, WHO etc etc) so I guess I'll believe them!
May 12, 2011 12:24 PM

Aug 2009
dynamo_electron said:
from Ontario Canada

^same ;)
Can't think of any dumb laws but thanks to this thread I'm going to look for some, lol.
May 21, 2011 11:20 AM

Aug 2010
I'm from Indonesia.. ^_^

Try to visit Lombok, if you like the beach and know Bali.
in Lombok, the beach is still beautiful and original.
May 24, 2011 3:42 AM

Mar 2011
Malaysia........= )

Not much here, peace and quiet......
May 24, 2011 7:56 AM
Nov 2008
Lithuania heeeeeeeere ^^

A little unknown European country :P But we are actually in the center of Europe (at least so they say) :D Well we got here lots of forests, cows and delicious food ^^~
May 24, 2011 5:17 PM

Sep 2008
New York state in the United States.
May 30, 2011 12:48 AM
Jun 2009
im from the netherlands, europe
May 30, 2011 1:33 PM

Jun 2010
Greetings from Słupsk in Poland :)
May 30, 2011 2:05 PM

Mar 2009
Toronto, Canada
#!/bin/bash
echo "RiceMonster"

My last.fm
May 31, 2011 1:44 AM

May 2011
From Spain, Andalucía specifically.

It's so fucking hot in here already >.<
Jun 1, 2011 12:08 PM

Jul 2009
I'm this guys neighbor. Hello there
Who are you to say that you don't believe in Santa?
Jun 5, 2011 4:35 PM

Feb 2011
I'm from U.S.A., Michigan
Jun 5, 2011 5:39 PM

Sep 2008
Sweden says hello.
Jun 6, 2011 10:03 AM

Jun 2009
hey , i'm from saudia arabia .. nice meeting ya =]
Jun 6, 2011 10:53 AM

Jan 2011
good old London!
Jun 10, 2011 8:25 PM
Jun 2011
I am from Argentina, nice to meet you people.
Looks like i'm the first one. Facts:
-We discovered that fingerprints can be used to identify people.
-A Hungarian was radicated in Argentina when he invented the ballpoint pen (lazlo biro).
-Maradona.
-Everyone is a fan of "The Simpsons" (not really, but 90% true).
-Everyone is a fan of Dragon Ball Z (not really, but 98% true).
Jun 11, 2011 4:08 PM

Aug 2008
I'm from Santiago, Chile...

Do you know where is it??

See ya!
Jun 14, 2011 6:19 AM

Mar 2009
I'm from Poland - Lublin to be specific.
You probably don't know where it is so I will tell you that we really don't have polar bears here as some people think.
Jun 15, 2011 12:44 AM
Jun 2008
I'm from Derbyshire, UK

*In Jane Austen's 'Pride and Prejudice', Mr Darcy's huge estate, called Pemberley, was set in Derbyshire.
*Kathleen Kennedy, sister of JFK, is buried in Edensor churchyard. She was married to the Duke of Devonshire's elder brother.
*The world's biggest ever bowl of popcorn was prepared at UCI cinema at the Meteor Centre in 1991. It took staff from the cinema three days to complete the record, starting on August 23 and finishing on August 26.
*The Peak District contains over 50 reservoirs and several villages had to be submerged to make way for them, including Derwent and Ashopton.
*Holmgate was home to what's thought to have been the world's oldest dog. Bella was 26 when she died in September 2008.
Jun 16, 2011 11:57 AM

Feb 2010
I'm from the United States.
Jun 22, 2011 11:04 PM

Apr 2008
The big NYC here! =)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Simul watch suggestion and planning

imperlast - Mar 22, 2021

0 by imperlast »»
Mar 22, 2021 6:45 PM

» what are you playing or watching while in quarantine

imperlast - Apr 18, 2020

17 by Petitecherrii »»
Mar 5, 2021 3:18 PM

Poll: » Do you prefer Dub or Sub? ( 1 2 )

Hawksman - Nov 13, 2012

91 by Petitecherrii »»
Mar 5, 2021 3:15 PM

Sticky: » lets get to know one another ( 1 2 3 4 )

Eko - Jul 27, 2010

176 by new_Ango »»
Jun 7, 2020 10:32 AM

Sticky: » What's everyone's favorite anime from the past decade

imperlast - Jan 1, 2020

13 by Jay_Brief »»
May 28, 2020 11:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.