How would you rate this manga?
Sep 17, 2010 9:22 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Manga: Kodomo no Omocha

MAL Manga Information Page: Kodomo no Omocha

MAL Score - 8.42 (by 2430 users)
Ranked - #138
Popularity - #220

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the manga that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate a manga: Art, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Art - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Art - discuss any pros and cons of the art styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Character - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to specific characters in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 4 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to seeing how this discussion will develop.

*Since this manga has made the cut-off percentage-wise but has failed to gather enough votes, it is now once more available for nomination due to rule changes. (August 2011)

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Kodomo no Omocha passed, but failed to meet the minimum voting requirements:
8 Yes - 80.0%
2 No - 20.0%

62 Don't know this manga - 86.1% of the total number polled
0 Abstained - 0.0% of the total number polled

On 03/25/11 Kodoma no Omocha will be voted on for a second time
santetjanAug 2, 2011 11:31 AM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 19, 2010 10:25 AM

Oct 2007
This is one of my favorite manga, out of shoujo and nonshoujo works. I was a huge fan of the anime in middle school, but really the anime has half the serious elements that the manga does.

The manga starts off silly and random, with some thrown in shoujo cliches, but it also focuses on Sana and Hayama as people and how they grow up with all their ~really dramatic~ situations. It's a lovestory for sure, but it lacks the indesiciveness that most shoujo series love, and sana makes a really likeable lead, and hayama is a likeable male role as well. Even now, after reading -so much- shoujo stories, kodocha is one of those that still has a unique execution of the storyline and does not end up being as generic as it definitely could have been.

Also, my review for the manga is under the spoiler.

Honestly, with all the "shoujo-hate" in this club (lack of females, possibly?) I don't expect this series to stand a chance. But I think it deserves a spot (moreso than *gasp* hanadan)
katsupSep 19, 2010 12:06 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.