Forum Settings
Forums

Any one know any good Action/adventure or rpg ps2 games to play?

New
Sep 16, 2010 2:42 AM

Jul 2007
Ok i am looking for some good playstation 2 titles to play. My perfered Genre is Action/adventure and rpg. Mostly adventure/rpg elements. I really enjoy playing games that have exploration or rpg elements to it. Some of my favorite games of all time are Okami because it reminds me of zelda's style. I also love old traditional JRPGs, im a huge fan of jrpgs as well. I hope this topic is not to daunting for giving me recommendations as i have played alot of games and most of the popular and mainstream titles i will probably most likely already own. But for any of you die hard rpg fans out there, if you know of a certain title that might of slipped past my radar, let me know. You may also know from looking at my list, that im not a huge fan of tactical rpgs although i may try out Valkyrie chronicles cause i heard its a mixture of real time and strategy but im not really a fan of the genre.

Here is my game list of all the games i own.

I already know everything that is on the later generation consoles, im up to date with all that, im just looking for some good playstation 2 games to enjoy.

These are some of the ones i am thinking bout buying. I am kind of on the fence bout summoner though, because i heard the graphics are just horrid. Graphics generally don't bother me in a game but Summoner is just beyond terrible so im not quite sure bout that one. I checked out a video review on this game called Draken: The Actient Gates. It actually looks pretty interesting and totally my kind of game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aio-HMtAjts&feature=related

I also recently bought Okage and i like its style, its very similar to okami.

Ephemeral Fantasia
Forever Kingdom
Evergrace
Summoner
Steambot Chronicles
Jade Cocoon 2

anyways if you got any recommendations for me, feel free to list them. If it prooves to hard then i can understand lol. I am mosly reaching for the bottom of the barrel for games. But im surprised some of the ones i over looked turned out to be really brilliant like Shadow of the Colosses or Okami which i just recently picked up like a year ago. Its due to all the fan recommendations and video reviews, so they help me out alot in picking out some good games. I generally don't listen to critics, only the fanbase.
ArtimesGamerSep 16, 2010 2:54 AM

Sep 16, 2010 6:03 AM
Dec 2009
I liked Phantasy Star Universe.
Shuck Face / Slinthead!
Sep 16, 2010 6:07 AM

Oct 2008
RPG with visual novel style included: Persona 4
YOu can also try Persona 3 - though I didn't try that yet
Sep 16, 2010 7:20 AM

Feb 2005
Seconding Persona. 3 is great, and I've been hearing 4 improves the formula, so all the better.
Sep 16, 2010 8:06 AM

Nov 2007
I didn't see it listed, so I'll say it here: Odin Sphere
Sep 16, 2010 10:17 AM

Jun 2008
Wow, you got an impressive list there man!

Hmmm, I'll recommend Crimson Tears, Ys series, Blood Will Tell, Shining Tears and Genji Dawn of the Samurai.

Also, seconding Odin Sphere!
Sep 16, 2010 12:39 PM

Jul 2007
shadowsword said:
RPG with visual novel style included: Persona 4
YOu can also try Persona 3 - though I didn't try that yet

Actually if you look in the 'S' section under Shin Megami Tensei. I have mostly all of there games. Yes i agree i love the persona series. I prefer P4 though over P3. Good recommendation though. But i already own them. I just recently picked up Nocturne which surprisingly dropped in price, i used to remember when that game was like 100 dollars.

feder said:
I didn't see it listed, so I'll say it here: Odin Sphere

Odin Sphere? I think i remember some one recommending that one to me before. I just never could find what was interesting bout it. It looks more like a 2d side scrolling game. Perhaps im wrong but i don't know. The orignal RPGS that are like 2d i enjoy but Odin sphere looks very different, like it was mostly a side scrolling action game or something. I don't know. I might get around to checking that out soon though.

Retro8bit said:
Wow, you got an impressive list there man!

Hmmm, I'll recommend Crimson Tears, Ys series, Blood Will Tell, Shining Tears and Genji Dawn of the Samurai.

Also, seconding Odin Sphere!

Thanks. Yeah im kind of an excessive collector :p But i enjoy my games.

Is Crimson tears kind of your standard dungeon crawler. I don't mind those types of games but some times they can be pretty repetitive. Though Dark cloud was one of my favorite dungeon crawler games because the ability to customize your weapons, and lvl them up, also all the extra side quests, fishing, breeding fish, and the story was engaging so it was a very enjoyable experience.

Yeah the Ys series i was thinking bout getting. It was on my mind for a while. Ill check out those others also. Genji is kind of more like a button masher action game. I wouldn't really categorize it as an rpg but it does seem kind of fun. Kind of like the Ninja gaiden series.

Sep 16, 2010 5:00 PM

Jul 2007
Ok 3 people have recommended me Odin Sphere, im going to take your guys word for it and give it a shot. I mitice well, its pretty cheap now anyways. Usually when some one recommends me a game and i feel is just not that great, i end being made a fool out of lol. So i'll check it out.

Demon: Murmasa i believe is the enhanced version of this game, so if i like this one, ill probably get that game as well for the Wii.
ArtimesGamerSep 16, 2010 5:25 PM

Sep 16, 2010 8:04 PM

Nov 2007
link9us said:
Demon: Murmasa i believe is the enhanced version of this game, so if i like this one, ill probably get that game as well for the Wii.

Muramasa is the spiritual sequel of Odin Sphere. It's got a lot of Japanese mythology in it, as opposed to Odin Sphere which has Norse Mythology.
Sep 16, 2010 8:07 PM

Oct 2009
Ys Ark Of Napishtim for PS2

There's also a port which is based on the PC ver. for PSP but that had loading issues and jumping glitches.
Sep 16, 2010 8:12 PM

Jun 2009
RPGS
mana khemia is pretty good too

definitely the persona series... those games are just beast

as for action adventure...
god of war1 and 2
Resident evil 4
Devil May Cry 1,2,3
Onimusha dawn of dreams- pretty good-
onimusha 3
Okami
Shadow of the colossus
Ico
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2

and much more but yea.... you get the idea right?
Sep 16, 2010 8:21 PM

Jul 2007
TSX said:
RPGS
mana khemia is pretty good too

definitely the persona series... those games are just beast

as for action adventure...
god of war1 and 2
Resident evil 4
Devil May Cry 1,2,3
Onimusha dawn of dreams- pretty good-
onimusha 3
Okami
Shadow of the colossus
Ico
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2

and much more but yea.... you get the idea right?

Yeah alot of those games i have lol. I agree OKami is like most favorite game ever. Its just amazing.

I have the mana Khemia series. Its pretty engaging and fun. Your like in this school, learning the basics of alchemy and synthesizing. I really love the dialogue, its very anime like lol. There is alot of comedy and its very traditional to anime and has all those funny moments and romance scenes and the characters in these games sound more sophisticated. I can't tell you how dull it gets to play rpg games where the dialogue is heavily focused on ridding the world of evil and the main hero gets all the attention. So this is very different to that and unique and i love it so far. So far im only like 2 hrs into the game and already met like 15 likable characters each with there own background. This is where JRPGS shine in my opinion.

I did notice though that the psp port of Mana Khemia Student Alliance has HORRIBLE lagging issues. God i hope its not like this for all psp games, it was so bad that i thought something was wrong with my system. But the game actually has problems so im thankful its just the game. I hope other psp games are not that bad. The loading times are not to bothersome to me, but when it actually skips frames is when it gets annoying, like in battle, the game piratically freezed for like 5 seconds. Any console game should never do that. This is a poorly made system if all the games have similar problems and bugs like that. Such a drag to cause there is so many awesome jrpgs for the psp that i want to get my hands on.

Sep 16, 2010 8:22 PM

Nov 2007
feder said:
link9us said:

Muramasa is the spiritual sequel of Odin Sphere. It's got a lot of Japanese mythology in it, as opposed to Odin Sphere which has Norse Mythology.

They're coming out with HD versions of Muramasa and Odin Sphere bundle for the PS3 or 360, so you might as well wait for that.
Sep 16, 2010 8:23 PM

Jul 2007
WingedHao said:

There's also a port which is based on the PC ver. for PSP but that had loading issues and jumping glitches.

I really want to get into the Ys series, but im waiting on the remakes for the psp, i just hope they don't have all the lagging issues like mana khemia has.

Sep 16, 2010 8:25 PM

Jul 2007
feder said:
feder said:
link9us said:

They're coming out with HD versions of Muramasa and Odin Sphere bundle for the PS3 or 360, so you might as well wait for that.

Thanks for telling me. I will probably wait then for the ps3 release.

Sep 17, 2010 12:23 PM

Aug 2010
Well, for RPGs, Bandai has the .Hack games, which are fun.

For action, there is Eureka Seven games, and pretty much all Bandai Gundam.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Sep 17, 2010 9:23 PM

Oct 2009
link9us said:
WingedHao said:

I really want to get into the Ys series, but im waiting on the remakes for the psp, i just hope they don't have all the lagging issues like mana khemia has.

Well, I don't think you have to worry because the one I mentioned was ported by Konami and they really screw up Napishtim really bad for PSP. The rest of the remakes/ports are done by Falcom themselves so there shouldn't be any issues since they had already ported several of their games before.
Sep 17, 2010 9:27 PM

Nov 2008
kingsfield.
Something cool to be placed here in the near future.
Sep 17, 2010 10:35 PM

Jun 2009
link9us said:
WingedHao said:

It's already out in america...
Sep 18, 2010 12:13 AM

Jul 2007
TSX said:
link9us said:
WingedHao said:

It's already out in america...

They still have a release date set for early next year. I believe Ys 1 and 2 are going to be released January 2011. Then YS: The Oath in Felghana will be released November of this year. I could just try the DS ports but i heard the psp ports are going to have better graphics and visuals, so its probably best to wait.

More topics from this board

» Rarest/Coolest gaming related things you own.

SnipeStrike - Apr 19

6 by KenaiPhoenix »»
1 hour ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

52 by goodtasty »»
3 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3506 by goodtasty »»
3 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

8 by Astachanna »»
3 hours ago

» What's the funnest local multiplayer game with friends.

SnipeStrike - Apr 16

12 by _untitled »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.