Forum Settings
Forums
New
How would you rate this character overall?
22.0%
26.0%
18.0%
10.0%
4.0%
0.0%
2.0%
0.0%
0.0%
0.0%
I do not know this character
18.0%
50 votes
May 23, 2008 4:34 PM

Jan 2008
Spotlight Character: Himura Kenshin (Rurouni Kenshin)

MAL Character Information Page: Himura Kenshin

MAL Favorite Character: #18 (with 818 favorites)

For the next week I would like to have everyone familiar with Kenshin discuss what they think makes him an exceptional character. What attributes make him stand out in the ocean of interesting characters that exist in the realms of anime and manga.

Unlike the other two subjects I will not force this conversation to fall into any set structure. Characters that are nominated typically get here because they are adept at breaking the existing character molds and defying definition.

Because of this freedom I encourage everyone to do their very best to stay on topic and keep any and all debate civil. Have fun and I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say about this character.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE RE-VOTE POLL

Himura Kenshin was PERMANENTLY inducted into the club Character list:
51 Yes - 82.26%
11 No - 17.74%

38 Don't Know - 38.00% of the total number polled

----------------------------------------------------------

RESULTS OF THE "YOU DECIDE" POLL

Himura Kenshin was PERMANENTLY inducted into the club Character list:
62 Yes - 81.58%
14 No - 18.42%

14 I don't know this Character - 15.56% of the total number polled

santetjanMar 13, 2009 6:58 AM

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 23, 2008 5:43 PM

May 2007
Kenshin, by far, is one of the most complex and intriguing characters I've come across in my anime/manga experience. Throughout the story, Nobushiro Watsuki explores Kenshin's past, present and future to us in such great detail, that by the end of the story, we come to understand Kenshin one hundred percent, inside out. His beliefs are constantly tested with every opponent and situation he faces, that from chapter 1 to the very last chapter, you see two totally different Kenshins.

He probably has had one of the most trying childhood and teenager experiences one can have - as far as anime stories go. As a child, he loses his parents early due to disease, and then loses his adopted guardians, whom he encounters in a slave wagon. As they were about to be slaughtered, Kenshin, not knowing any better at the tender age of five, picks up a sword to defend his guardians he's known for only a few days, from bandits. However, his three guardians stop him, attempting to shield him from the violence and bloodshed, in hopes that he will live and choose a life of peace. As he's about to be slaughtered, it is none other than his to-be master, Hiko Seijuro, who comes to his rescue, but surprisingly, leaves the kid on his own.

And what does Kenshin do? With all of his innocence still in-tact, he buries both all of the slaves, as well as the bandits - stressing equality of life. This one event cannot be overlooked. I mean, who, as a simple child, would do such a thing?

His innocent beliefs of protecting people who are suffering in front of him forces him to leave his training unfinished and join the Japanese Revolution, eventually giving birth to Hitokiri Battousai. He purely believes that by helping in the revolution, he is carrying out the principles of the Hiten Mitsuruugi Ryu, no matter what Hiko says to them. The reason as to why he ultimately develops a more deadly personality, is a point to argue.

Of course, we all know what happens after (the whole ordeal with Tomoe), which is pretty much a shock to his system to at first distrust everyone, then fall in love with the woman who wants you dead, only to have her eventually fall in love with you and in order to show you another path in life, sacrifice her life in such a way depicted in Trust x Betrayal. And thus, starts his 10+ year wandering in search of repentance and exactly the true aims of the Hiten Mitsuruugi Ryu.

Throughout the main story, we constantly see Kenshin barely keeping his vow of never to kill again, when opponent after opponent challenges him to a duel to take his life. Seeing Kenshin psyche constantly challenged by opponent after opponent is such a riveting experience, that when you see it the first time through, you always wonder if the Battousai side of him will prevail.

This is especially the case with the Kyoto Arc and the Jinchuu Arc, where the battles between Shishio and Enishi really test the mettle of Kenshin's mind. Only when he was able to fully realize that his life actually had meaning was he able to master the Ougi and the Hiten Mitsuruugi Ryu and when thought Kaoru was killed by Enishi, he lost the power to live because he had failed to protect the one he loved....again. (It's also interesting to note that he was only able to regain the will to live when Tsubame pleaded him to rescue Yahiko, and not when Sano wanted him to get revenge of Kaoru's death).

Hmm...I guess what I'm really trying to say here is that Kenshin went through so much shit in his life, where his ideals and, really, his psyche, was constantly bombarded with conflicting thoughts after conflicting thoughts, and throughout his story, we see him change 180 from a wanderer who previously thought his only purpose in life was repentance and that his life was worth shit to someone who realized that even his life had meaning, especially to those that surrounded him.

His path to self-discovery was an amazing story to read.

PS: Okay, I know that was really long and probably was more fact (as in what actually happened to him) than opinion (why he's so awesome), but now I guess we have a basis to start arguing over things.
May 23, 2008 7:01 PM

Sep 2007
I'm glad you filled in the background because that saves me quite a bit of time lol.

I think the biggest thing that stands out for Kenshin compared to most all other characters is the fact we become witness to his entire life story. Most characters in anime/manga are just snapshots of a person. Some characters are snapshots with a little story to go along with it. Rarely does a story capture the whole scope of a character the way Rurouni Kenshin does and this gives the reader/viewer a familiarity with Kenshin that will hardly ever be found with other characters.

Some people may have a connection with certain characters because they see similarities with their own lives. That is really a hit or miss familiarity though. With Kenshin, it doesn't matter if you have anything in common with his personality at all. By the end of the story, you will come to understand Himura Kenshin no matter how unfamiliar he seemed at the beginning.
May 23, 2008 8:11 PM

Mar 2007
I can not agree with you two more.
I gave Kenshin a 10, by the way.

As previously mentioned, no other character have I come across has been so indepthly explored as Himura is. From how he lived as a child, to even his future, it's like being with him through his entire life journey. As the series progresses, you not only learn about Kenshin, but you understand, and sympathize with his entire being. The crap he put up with would drive anyone over the edge, but Kenshin remains strong, keeping his vow to never kill. As a reader, I can't stress more how you truely are rooting for Kenshin, as it's like a friend you grew up with.

Not only does he have layers, and layers of personality, everything he does has a reason. He doesn't act funny as comedy relief, he does it to keep others from worrying, or to keep them happy. He is serious when he needs to be, and he is kind and compassionate when the time comes as well. Kenshin is so truely indepth, that I find it difficult to explain his appeal to someone who hasn't seen him.

Honestly, if you don't know who Himura Kenshin is, you need to. You'll be stunned, and in awe like the rest of us. I truely believe it's not possible to not like Kenshin. He's just that kind of character.

May 23, 2008 8:40 PM

Sep 2007
In a see of lengthy, generic shounen stories with generic shounen leads, Kenshin, in my opinion, stands at the top. For everything he had thrown at him in his life, he took it and made the best out of the situation.
cutepiku said:

Not only does he have layers, and layers of personality, everything he does has a reason. He doesn't act funny as comedy relief, he does it to keep others from worrying, or to keep them happy. He is serious when he needs to be, and he is kind and compassionate when the time comes as well. Kenshin is so truely indepth, that I find it difficult to explain his appeal to someone who hasn't seen him.

Definitely. I find it hard to justify why I love him, but there's just nothing glaringly bad about his character. Well, I don't think there's anything left to say that hasn't already been said in this thread. I know there will always be people who vote "No" just because they can, but please don't ruin your chance to actually promote a wonderful character this time around.

10/10
May 23, 2008 8:56 PM
May 2008
The information posted earlier on Himura Kenshin is what surely makes him a intriguing character. From the story of Rurouni Kenshin, he certainly trys to keep himself sane in order to fall upon his vow of not taking another life. Through all the obstacles and challenges he had to overcome, it was certainly difficult of him to keep word of that vow.

With the layers of interesting personality, the struggles on keeping his vow, along with being a incredible swordsman he will certainly be a very difficult character to be replace as the best samurai in a anime.
Dark-EvolutionMay 23, 2008 9:10 PM
May 24, 2008 12:28 AM
Apr 2007
Kenshin is a terrific character in the Ovas, in the series doesnt seem to fit so well unfortunately =| Prolly because the Ovas always have better production values and they explain his development, in the series is more like a normal shonen hero and its not outstanding enough for a 10, or even a 9, ill stick with 8.
May 24, 2008 2:17 AM

Jun 2007
8/10

Kenshin, the awesome one. Kenshins attitude and lookout on things is actually kind of interesting, he is funny and has the memorable way of speaking we all know and love.All of this hiding the fact he is a badass samurai who could rape most people by looking at them is always fun.

But his reasons for doing things, although not bad, is common. Trying to redeem himself, hiding from the law, never killing again, etc....these are all too common in the entertainment industry, even at the point when this character was made. So although he himself in a mix of fun and badass, his overall feel is kind of lessened when his reasons are just so cliche.
May 24, 2008 9:03 AM

May 2008
The dude is awesome. His morals, his attitude, his "comic" side, his "tough" side. Everything goes smooth. He's redeeming the actions he did in the past, never to kill again, thats the part about what i like in him. He was a killer, now he is unbeatable, but never kills. Plus, i like the way he looks, the scar and the small appearance.

10/10

May 24, 2008 9:30 PM

Jul 2006
i think it matters a great deal if im voting for the kenshin of the tv series or the OVA (i dont know the manga depiction). which type am i basing my decision on?
May 24, 2008 9:47 PM

Sep 2007
This is about Kenshin in his entirety, so input from any of the OVA's, the tv series, and/or the manga is acceptable. Though the more of those you have seen the more you can grasp his whole character.
May 24, 2008 9:51 PM

Jul 2006
i can understand that he is a conflicted soul trying to overcome the shadows of his past, but so do a lot of other characters. doesnt it depend on how he is depicted by the storyteller? o_o

its like seeing two completely different people with the same name when i compare.
May 24, 2008 11:58 PM

Nov 2007
Let me start with saying that this is the second time i post since after i finished the review i got disconnected so bare with the laziness.

Himura Kenshin is one of the characters that as BlackMagic said you might not agree with, but one thing is certain: you will know Kenshiin and you will understand his deeds. Samurai-X the TV series was one of the first shows that hooked me in and my curiosity towards Kenshin is probably what made that show very interesting to me. In the show, you see the present Kenshin who uses the reverse blade in order not to kill yet they keep telling you that he was "Battosai", an assassin who killed hundreds during the war. During the show you tend to know Kenshin more and more as the show adds some glimpses on his past every now and then. I believe that they made Kenshin an over nice character and that what I didn't like about him, I mean sure you can kill if you're defending your life. Other than that I liked how awesome, just, and funny he was.

Anyways, the OVA came to fill the many gaps in Kenshin's past as it showed the young Kenshin that everyone feared: the "battosai". The drama and action of that OVA surely make it a masterpiece that ranks # 1 in animenfo and #2 in MAL rankings. The other 4 episodes OVA shows Kenshin's future or the sequel to the TV series which also answers our curiosity towards his future, a future which I must say was very shocking.

Therefore you will definitely get to know Kenshin and sympathize with him as you'd probably have seen his present, past and future and even his death.
May 25, 2008 2:12 PM

Jul 2006
ok, well...

TV series Kenshin: 4/10
OVA Kenshin: 10/10

So that would make it an overall 7.

the TV series kenshin was shallow and average while the OVA kenshin was dark and deep. Also a character is only as good as his supporting characters, so the OVA out does the TV in all respects for me. The character design was interesting overall and pretty well depicted.
May 25, 2008 2:29 PM

Jan 2008
Personally I'm going to wait until I'm at least a good way into the RK manga before I give him a rating. I prefer rating characters based from their original work since TV anime series tend to have filler and can overall fail at properly depicting a character's real complexity and depth.

May 25, 2008 5:16 PM

May 2007
June said:
ok, well...

the TV series kenshin was shallow and average while the OVA kenshin was dark and deep. Also a character is only as good as his supporting characters, so the OVA out does the TV in all respects for me. The character design was interesting overall and pretty well depicted.

You do realize they are the same exact character. But yeah, I do agree that the OVA did a much better job in their adaptation than the producers who did the TV series (although the Kyoto arc were done fairly well). That is also why I always get sad when people say the TV series Kenshin seems shallow. One, b/c they could have done a much better job adapting it from the manga, and most importantly, two, they never animated the final arc in the manga - the Jinchuu arc - which by far is the most emotional and epic arc in RK and really, ties Kenshin's character together.
VK11May 25, 2008 5:20 PM
May 25, 2008 8:01 PM

Nov 2007
almost, if not all, everything other than kyoto arch are fillers, so yeah.
May 25, 2008 11:46 PM

Jul 2006
vindemon64 said:
June said:
ok, well...

You do realize they are the same exact character. But yeah, I do agree that the OVA did a much better job in their adaptation than the producers who did the TV series (although the Kyoto arc were done fairly well). That is also why I always get sad when people say the TV series Kenshin seems shallow. One, b/c they could have done a much better job adapting it from the manga, and most importantly, two, they never animated the final arc in the manga - the Jinchuu arc - which by far is the most emotional and epic arc in RK and really, ties Kenshin's character together.
you just explained why i see them as two different characters. >_<

they share the same name and the same history but you cannot rate them the same, if you do then you end up with a 7 T_T

its like asking me to rate jane austin's character emma when i can choose from the Clueless depiction with alicia silverstone or gwenyth paltrow's emma. XD
May 26, 2008 6:48 AM

May 2007
June said:

its like asking me to rate jane austin's character emma when i can choose from the Clueless depiction with alicia silverstone or gwenyth paltrow's emma. XD

Heh. I know what you mean. And that's the whole issue with rating a character based on more than one project, be it series + ova or anime + manga or whatever.

Personally, in this exercise alone, I think I'm going to take an addition perspective to character instead of an average. In other words, if there's a man named Kenshin, I feel like every time I've been exposed to him (which is significantly less than other people, it feels like), it adds (or subtracts).

Just because there is such a gap between the OVAs and the series for me and because I'm not familiar with any of the other works, I feel like this is probably the fair thing to do. So, in other words, my perspective is that there is a developed character in the OVAs and whatever additional development is accomplished by the series is frosting.

To keep with June's analogy, I kind of think that both versions of Emma add something to your understanding of the original character. Sure, you can argue one's better than the other or whatever, but in the end, when it comes down to who Emma is, the action of watching both enriches your understanding of the character that Jane Austen intended, right?

At the same time, I'm having a hard time deciding whether I should abstain from voting because I'm not a manga reader (and even if I wanted to pick up this particular manga, I wouldn't have the quantity of experience to make me an informed reviewer). The people who have read the mangas seem a lot more passionate than I am from just watching the anime side of things. For me, Kenshin's 8-ish. The OVAs and the series put together create an interesting look into a lifetime's worth of development, but I just don't feel the awe and the inspiration that it feels like other people do... and I can't tell if it's because I didn't read the manga or if we just disagree.
May 26, 2008 9:01 AM

Sep 2007
Well I haven't read the manga either, but I've seen all the ova's, movies, and tv episodes. Because of this, I am comparing Kenshin to other characters from within the context of "anime character". From an anime perspective, he easily stands head and shoulders above 99% of all other characters to me.

Then, if I want to also compare him to characters in manga I've read, he fares pretty well in that regard since I haven't really got too many mangas under my belt yet lol.
May 26, 2008 11:17 AM

Jul 2006
lowell said:
At the same time, I'm having a hard time deciding whether I should abstain from voting because I'm not a manga reader (and even if I wanted to pick up this particular manga, I wouldn't have the quantity of experience to make me an informed reviewer). The people who have read the mangas seem a lot more passionate than I am from just watching the anime side of things. For me, Kenshin's 8-ish. The OVAs and the series put together create an interesting look into a lifetime's worth of development, but I just don't feel the awe and the inspiration that it feels like other people do... and I can't tell if it's because I didn't read the manga or if we just disagree.
why abstain? character origin was not specified.... thats why in the end i did decide to vote though i felt hesitant to, like yourself.
May 26, 2008 1:48 PM

Nov 2007
I'm a bit iffy whether to even vote something other than don't know, as all I've seen is Tsuiokuhen. And I've got no desire (or time) to watch the TV or read the manga.

Suggestions?
May 26, 2008 6:26 PM

Nov 2007
BlackMagic said:
Well I haven't read the manga either, but I've seen all the ova's, movies, and tv episodes. Because of this, I am comparing Kenshin to other characters from within the context of "anime character". From an anime perspective, he easily stands head and shoulders above 99% of all other characters to me.

Then, if I want to also compare him to characters in manga I've read, he fares pretty well in that regard since I haven't really got too many mangas under my belt yet lol.

I think i share the same opinion since i ddnt read the mange as well.
May 26, 2008 7:00 PM

Jul 2006
kasumisama said:
I'm a bit iffy whether to even vote something other than don't know, as all I've seen is Tsuiokuhen. And I've got no desire (or time) to watch the TV or read the manga.

Suggestions?
i'd still vote. o_o you've completed something that featured the character, what more do you need?
May 26, 2008 7:09 PM

Sep 2007
Well that depends. If someone's definitive answer on Kenshin isn't "this guy is awesome" after watching the OVAs then it's understandable to want more insight. Heck, if even just to get a greater understanding of who you are voting for, regardless of how you feel, is a good a reason as any.

Solutions? Hard to say, if you have some view one way or the other I think you should vote, but if you really aren't sure then...maybe not. It's easier for me since Kenshin is a 10/10 character no matter which form I see him in. If you want to try a quick-fix on the show, pick up the Kyoto Arc, which starts sometime after ep 30 and lasts for about 30 episodes...of course it'd be awkward not having been introduced to some characters beforehand, lol.

In the end, while it helps to have read/watched all media in which a character appears, we can't be expected to always do so. Now reach down and ask the Force for guidance. :D
May 26, 2008 7:44 PM

Jul 2006
if you didnt like him in the first thing you watched, why would you go looking for more junk he was in? o_O

normally one wouldnt torture himself =)

May 27, 2008 9:49 AM
Apr 2007
Well as i mentioned if you only watched the Ova then hes a terrific character =D
the show isnt so good.. and i havent read the manga =| but most characters/shows etc are always better in manga anyway.
May 27, 2008 4:05 PM

Nov 2007
kasumisama said:

Suggestions?

I wouldnt vote to be honest coz in my opinion those who havent watched the tv series will not appreciate the drastic and dramatic change that happens in the second OVA, or at least wouldnt understand what Kenshin became after the first OVA (which is the "present" Kenshin that we see in the TV series). did what i just said make sense?!
May 27, 2008 9:33 PM

May 2007
This probably isn't helpful, but I'm going to say don't vote if you're conflicted and vote if you're not.

I think that even if you haven't seen everything... if you've seen a complete something (or enough of something) and you have a definite opinion, then you should be able to vote based on that opinion with a clear conscious. And if you haven't seen everything and you're riding the fence between yes and no and think that more information would help you make that decision, then you should abstain. Don't you?

I mean, we're all reasonable and self-aware and I think we'd know when our opinions are firm and when they're not. And if you have a firm and reasoned opinion, isn't that all we can do as club members?

Unfortunately, as I so often am, I'm riding the fence again. ...But there's a part of me that thinks I'm actually settled, I just don't like my answer. I have a hard time with this yes/no thing most weeks. ;P

P.S. I also think that if the OVA didn't make you want to watch the show, there's no earthly reason why you should ever watch the show or read the manga. The OVA was the best part of it all and I think the series is only entertaining if you really like that sort of thing.
May 27, 2008 10:17 PM

Nov 2007
I saw a couple random episodes of the TV and, um ... yeah. No.

Well I have a few days to decide what I feel like doing at least.
May 27, 2008 11:35 PM

Mar 2008
I really liked him as a character, in the OVA and in the tv series. He was a little bit more goofy at times in the tv series. He was good in the manga too.
May 29, 2008 9:49 AM

Oct 2007
I also feel like I haven't really grasped enough of Kenshin's character. But I don't really see why people feel so different about the kenshin portrayed in the OVA versus the TV series. Sure, the overall feel of the OVA was dark and deep, but as a character, Kenshin was pretty much the same. It's not like the OVA was a seperate manga or anything, I'm pretty sure that it was just part of the normal manga story. (please, correct me if I'm wrong)

Anyway, I think Kenshin is a really great character, and while I wish that I knew more about his overall character, the fact that there is so much more I need to understand about him makes him a lot more complex than most Shounen male leads. He has such a huge history and personality surrounding him, which really makes him a unique character I think.
May 30, 2008 6:52 AM

May 2007
katsup said:
I also feel like I haven't really grasped enough of Kenshin's character. But I don't really see why people feel so different about the kenshin portrayed in the OVA versus the TV series. Sure, the overall feel of the OVA was dark and deep, but as a character, Kenshin was pretty much the same. It's not like the OVA was a seperate manga or anything, I'm pretty sure that it was just part of the normal manga story. (please, correct me if I'm wrong)

Anyway, I think Kenshin is a really great character, and while I wish that I knew more about his overall character, the fact that there is so much more I need to understand about him makes him a lot more complex than most Shounen male leads. He has such a huge history and personality surrounding him, which really makes him a unique character I think.

Nah, you're right. Kenshin's past is revealed in the manga *after* the Kyoto arc, which really goes to show how late in the series the manga-ka decided to reveal Kenshin's past to the readers. That's also why I wish more people would read the last arc of the manga - the Jinchuu arc - where Tomoe's brother, Enishi, goes to the extreme to exact revenge upon the ex-hitokiri, thus opening a whole new can of worms into Kenshin's character. The little exposure Enishi got in the Remembrance OVA did not do justice to how emotional that arc is.
May 30, 2008 8:34 AM

Feb 2008
Kenshin is one of the best and the most awesome character I've seen in my characters list. The development, how he grew through the episodes in TV series and OVA, as well as in manga, and covered almost all history in his life, a great personality, and the despair moment, also his romance moment, really I salute the creator of Himura Kenshin. An epic character. And I can't say anymore, as all the aspects in Kenshin has been covered by others.

9/10

Oh and if anyone want to follow the Kenshin's story, it's better to read manga first.
av03May 30, 2008 8:39 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.