Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 10, 2010 2:30 PM

Jan 2010
Hmm, I liked first movie more,
but I was definitely satisfied after watching this.
Sep 11, 2010 4:16 AM

Jun 2009
Where's my Sigyn x Rygart development? Where, i ask... Leaving that aside, i expected more. Rygart's still a wuss, though at least he's gonna fight properly now. And why did they kill Lee? She didn't get much character development, but they just killed her. Kill True or bald guy from Zess's team instead.

Also, if Lee's 15 or 16, i can even believe that Cleo(<3) is 12. But it still feels wrong.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Sep 12, 2010 2:01 PM

Oct 2007
I am not really sure what most people here want to see in this episode. I mean Rygart was a fucking farmer till a couple day ago and this is his second time piloting that giant shit and what do you expect him to do? Trying to act kool and badass and going around killing people with his awesome Machine? And killing Lee and Dam was the right decision to make Rygart saw how ugly a war is no matter which side you are on and it doesn't matter if you are on the right side or not. As much as I want to see Sigyn x Rygart development I approve this episode is a need. This is one of the best episode and smooth development I have seen in a while in a war anime unlike some certain anime that only about "I am kool, awesome and badass but brainless" "I am the smartness person but about to die soon" etc.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Sep 15, 2010 9:14 PM
Jun 2010
7/10, it's good but nothing really special. They dragged the fighting for too long. Good animation I admit but the fighting itself isn't that interesting.

2 episodes so far and the story is still not advancing. So the mysterious mecha is stronger than every other mecha, I haven't seen much mecha anime and I can already say it's cliché : Mobile Suit Gundam and Code Geass have the same problem.

Sep 23, 2010 2:50 PM

May 2008
I liked it, it was good but not as good as the first one was~ The animation is still amazing but the story is somehow not my type~ Still it' fun to watch.
sayamiSep 23, 2010 2:54 PM
Sep 30, 2010 1:09 AM

Jul 2009
Gundam Seed? Is that you? (joke)

This series just got wrong when you say you have a 12-year old in your army. Couldn't you say she was 16-18? Damn you Gundam Seed.... I mean Break Blade.
Oct 2, 2010 2:34 PM

Jan 2009
Well probably has similiar genetics or whatever to Rygart (Cleo)

Also I'm assuming any Queen Sigyn romance between Rygart ain't gonna happen unless he tears apart a country/betrays his long time friend.

I thought the fighting itself was pretty interesting and I like how it wasn't stereotypical with the general characters i.e. the blond moustache guy really is serious about protecting the citizens and not just his fame and the other general not doing the usual guilt trip on the protaganist after his colleague died.

It slowly shows a nobody assuming a heroic role even if he believes its not the smartest thing to do.

It will be interesting to see the direction of this series.

Last thoughrs, initially this series reminded me of Code Geass meets Gundam but so far thankfully its not as ridicilious.

Also the ancients - ancient human mankind?
Oct 5, 2010 4:47 AM

Mar 2009
Win!!

Just as good as the first if not better!

Ok ppl, we understand it's a "generic mech" anime, so STF up about it!
If you don't like it don't watch it!!

Rygart is so awesome, and Yukimura's voice is perfect for him!!!

Can't wait for the next and the 4th, then I will marathon these!!

Urahara Out!!
Oct 18, 2010 10:56 PM

Oct 2010
So, Rygart basically kills Dan, then disrespects him in front of his grave? I understand Dan's death was supposed to make Rygart's head spin with the horrors of war, but seriously, what a douche bag move.

Does anyone else feel like the fight scenes in this show are incredibly awkward? Some of these mech movements just don't look right to me.

I'm sort of wondering what the purpose of the ground troops is. It seems like all they do is get killed by mechs. They could probably save a bunch of lives by removing them from the battlefield altogether...

I can never fully explain how glad I am that Lee died. I hated her character so, so, so much. There was nothing at all likable about her.

Anyway, I like this anime a lot. Some character designs are exceptional (especially Argath and Hodr.) I know a lot of people are saying the plot is generic, but that doesn't bother me. I've seen plenty of generic anime that were wildly entertaining.

I'm looking forward to the next movie.
Nov 26, 2010 2:15 PM

Apr 2009
Siva said:
I am not really sure what most people here want to see in this episode. I mean Rygart was a fucking farmer till a couple day ago and this is his second time piloting that giant shit and what do you expect him to do? Trying to act kool and badass and going around killing people with his awesome Machine? And killing Lee and Dam was the right decision to make Rygart saw how ugly a war is no matter which side you are on and it doesn't matter if you are on the right side or not. As much as I want to see Sigyn x Rygart development I approve this episode is a need. This is one of the best episode and smooth development I have seen in a while in a war anime unlike some certain anime that only about "I am kool, awesome and badass but brainless" "I am the smartness person but about to die soon" etc.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Feb 2, 2011 7:26 PM
Nov 2010
He might be a farmer but he has all the stars aligned:

He's only deficiency is actually a once in a million advantage
King is your best friend
Rival also was your best friend
And the woman is in the bag, under the protective shield of the King no less

I have not seen characters or settings bowing over to please a not-yet-developed main character to such extent ever. Might as well nickname him GOD.
Feb 21, 2011 8:19 AM

Aug 2009
The fight in the first half dragged on way too long, I was incredibly bored.
At least the character development in the second half made up for the lame first half.
3.5/5, 6.5/10
Samu-tanFeb 21, 2011 8:22 AM
Mar 1, 2011 2:49 AM

Jan 2009
Surprisingly little happened in this movie, compared to the first one, and I guess I could pretty much summarize the whole thing as 'Rygart wanted to run away but decided to fight".
I don't disapprove.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Mar 5, 2011 9:58 PM

Aug 2010
Muslim_Otaku said:
BEAST ending is BEAST.

I literally had tears in my eyes. The ending was JUST TOO EPIC.
Jun 4, 2011 1:06 AM

Jun 2009
What is Lee thinking shooting herself in the head like that? Does she think she has a persona or something?

The episode was okay besides the dragged out part of Rygart running away. I mean, common, I know he is just a freaking farmer before but does it have to take "that" long for him to realize that he needs to fight in order to protect his friends and his Sigyn?
Jun 8, 2011 9:51 AM

Apr 2009
Wow Zess has a kid? That was a surprise.

Day2Dream said:
ReaperEXE said:
Also, LoL @ "Dan's death was caused by his lack of judgement." No, it was caused because Rygart held down his fucking gun. (´_ゝ`)

Yeah I thought that line was pretty stupid.

I have to agree with that one as well.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 18, 2011 11:54 PM

Sep 2010
Looking forward to watching more of this.
Aug 2, 2011 1:22 AM

Sep 2008
Damn, I feel bad for Dan, but that lance throw was pretty badass.
Even if there were no sexy scenes, I thought it was better than the first movie.

That under golem breaks the stone it steps on though...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 3, 2011 12:47 PM

Feb 2009
Bah,I hate overly-pacifistic characters like Rygard. No matter how much one hates war and killing "when the knife reaches the bone"(as we say here) one has to do something about it. Argh,so annoying.
Oterwise,the movie was pretty good.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Nov 8, 2011 2:17 AM

Jun 2008
Beyonder said:
Looks like Zess doesn't know the terms include killing the royal family. And the other stupid general had to come out waltzing at the wrong time. Then again, there wouldn't be a conflict if they managed to finish their talk.

I don't like the idea that they're willing to fight their friends based on misinformation though

Yeah misunderstandings feel ridiculous. Zess doesn't know the full terms (lets not forget that the messenger voiced the last term, it was not in writing).
I wonder who decided that last term? Who ever did it wanted a fight.

Do be honest i don't feel extremely bad for Lee's death. She was quite the fanatic and i dislike brainwashed fanatics like her.
MonadNov 8, 2011 2:23 AM
Dec 17, 2011 2:47 AM

Sep 2008
So the mc is gonna be in a bulletproof haxmecha now. Coolio.
Dec 22, 2011 5:39 PM

Dec 2010
I haven't watched many mecha animes like, let's say, Gundam(not a single episode of it), so this movie doesn't seem this much of a cliched. I mean come on - do you call cliched the conflict between old friends? Or I don't even know what else can you be talking about. There's nothing special in it's settings unlike NGE(for an example), but it's really entertaining. And when an anime gives so much enjoyment to me with such a generic setting - I dare to say that I feel even better about it.

About this part of Break Blade itself - it was better than the first one in many aspects, except for the part where Rygart didn't interact with Sigyn much at all(although we got a little bit of a build between them). I didn't like Lee, as she was real bitch, but her early death surprised me even though I have to expect that every character is possible to die at any moment for they are putting their lives in a war. And the ending was really epic ^__^

About the score - nothing much has changed since the last episode, where I commented with a long explanation of my score, so I'll just add one point more for the Fights part - we really got a fight here and I liked it. Quite realistic one if you ask me.

Overall score: 9/10.
Dec 30, 2011 11:25 AM

Aug 2008
So far I'm still rather impressed by the animation, though the characters still fail to inspire me for the most part. And the music doesn't really move me either. I'm looking forward to next episode though. Whatever they've done to Rygart's Golem, it looks pretty extreme.

Feb 8, 2012 9:36 PM

Jun 2010
It's interesting that Zees has a daughter and that all four friends are in their early twenties, but they don't look or act any different from the more common teenagers. Similarly, Lee and Cleo are not believable as 15 and 12 and don't look much younger than Zees.

The war robots in this show are not technology as we understand it; they are machines, but they're magically-driven, without any engines or motors. So why is it that they're indistinguishable from the more common sci-fi war robots, and especially from the "Break Blade", which apparently is a sci-fi war robot. The mechanical design is unimaginative.

I find it kind of odd that Rygart ends the episode by swearing to protect "Hodr's kingdom". The kingdom, that is, the state institutions and the people, haven't come across as important at all. Hodr and Rygart don't care about the monarchy or the aristocracy and there's been no indication that the people would suffer if Athens gets its way. The sticking point is that Hodr and Sigyn would be executed. So why is Rygart swearing to defend the kingdom instead of his friends? For him to have such a narrow goal would be kind of interesting, actually.

Meritas said:
I haven't watched many mecha animes like, let's say, Gundam(not a single episode of it), so this movie doesn't seem this much of a cliched.

That's because you don't know any better. The way he literally fall into the robot, is the only one who can control it, went through a period of pacifism that ended badly, tried to "run away" only to decide to turn back and fight add up to a very cliche plot progression.
FronzelFeb 10, 2012 2:04 AM
Jun 24, 2012 6:03 PM

Jan 2011
Regarding the oath: The whole thing is a formality, one that is probably more important for Rygart to strengthen his resolve to fight, as it is to the others. They actually altered it to fit their case, with Rygart not kneeling initially, and Hodr stepping down to him and handing over the sword personally.

So yeah, his goal really is protecting Hodr and Sigyn, not the kingdom. Though seeing that there is no dsicussion about escaping, and that they will be executed if they do not win the war, it would seem that either save everything, or lose everything - so protecting the kingdom and his friends are actually the same right now.

I wonder whats up with that timer in that golem. They had some stuff written there, but it was not really clear what would happen if he ran out of time. Would the golem simply stop or what? If thats the case, it might turn out important. Sygart noticed that the timer slowed down when he didn't do much with the golem, and now they put so much armor up that everyone else wonders how he can even walk, meaning, it probably takes a lot of power, leading to power running out faster.

Also, unsure about Zees. Sometimes he's likeable, like, when he told about his daughter. He appears to care about family aswell as his subordinates, and he apparently doesn't know about the real conditions. But: Blaming Rygart for Lee's death?

Rygart is the one who has least responsibility, all he wanted is for Lee to retreat. Zees as her superior and the one with the glorious idea of attacking the capital directly, which lead to them meeting Rygart surely should blame himself first, and as an old friend of Rygart he should feel sorry for having forced Rygart to fight.

I wonder what direction Zees will take. Will he turn out to be rational, or will he blame Rygart if he loses another squad member (assuming he does, if he retreats before that happens he probably turned out to be rational anyways)
Nov 1, 2012 2:30 AM

Sep 2010
I really liked the woman who killed herself I wish she would have been around longer. xD

Zess said he had a two year old daughter I can't wait to see her she is bound to be adorable just like her father. I will still ship Rygart/Zess for the time being regardless if he has a wife or not if he does then OT3. xP
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Nov 13, 2012 6:49 AM

Aug 2010
I enjoyed part two, maybe even more than part 1.

I enjoyed the Lee and Rygart fight, not so much for the action as the emotional content. And its sad that a young girl would commit suicide like that.

The ending was cool.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Jan 13, 2013 6:12 PM

Apr 2009
The more I think of it, the more I believe that ancient, highly advanced unit was actually produced at the last moment by ancient humans in desperation to avoid an apocalypse by war. That their current world is actually a post-apocalyptic world populated by the descendants of the survivors of that ancient war.

Zess already has a young daughter, huh? Then no need to worry about who becomes his love interest, since he most likely has a wife already.

It's good that Rygart had a change of heart. Maybe he saw the city, and realized that it could be in flames the next day while he ran away from it all. Maybe he remembered his friends and realized that they could be dead the next day while he escaped to save himself. He has something only he can do now.
Feb 19, 2013 8:26 PM

May 2010
Lol highlight of the show was Zess's daughter.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 8, 2013 10:41 PM

Feb 2013
The OP song is way too good for this show.

Dan sure didn't last long.

They seem to be setting Cleo up to be a superstar...
Dec 24, 2013 5:59 PM

Jun 2013
The first movie was good but flawed, this movie however i thought was nearly perfect, VERY WELL DONE! :)
Jan 17, 2014 3:38 AM

Aug 2013
Even better than the first. I was about to close my tab and drop the whole thing if Rygart didn't turn around but lo and behold, he did. Thank goodness they didn't do a "everyone was dying around him that's when Rygart realized he had to go back" story.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 4, 2014 5:43 PM

Dec 2012
I liked this movie more than the last, really stepped up its game with the fights and story. The fight with Lee was really awesome and I like how Rygart struggles with piloting the mech. Looking forward to the next movie, I guess he wasn't dubbed heavy-knight for nothing.
Jul 3, 2015 4:02 AM
Nov 2014
Around 7 minutes in during the meeting with the Athens supreme commander and cabinet- two things are said that are eitherr stupid or funny. One guy says "I don't understand how could we commit a vile act of war I don't get it" in a sarcastic sounding way(English dub btw), which is way out of place btw because they are already leading an invasion at the time.

Jul 10, 2015 10:52 AM

Nov 2013
Fronzel said:
The war robots in this show are not technology as we understand it; they are machines, but they're magically-driven, without any engines or motors. So why is it that they're indistinguishable from the more common sci-fi war robots, and especially from the "Break Blade", which apparently is a sci-fi war robot. The mechanical design is unimaginative.

The robots are not driven through magic, but through ligaments. They just call the ability to use quartz magic. In this case, the design is not defined trough the drive, but the purpose. And since the purpose of war robots is the same, they look similar. And they are distinguishable from common sci-fi war robots. Do you really want to claim, that the golems look like the mechs from Gundam or Code Geass?
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Sep 20, 2015 10:51 PM

Nov 2011
Yeah, the whole deciding to fight plot progression with Rygart was pretty cliche. I thought walking out of the city gate only to turn back around was a bit overly dramatic too. If you did that in real life you'd probably be called an attention seeker... It would have been more interesting if he had actually let the kingdom fall or, as another poster suggested, only stayed to protect Hodr and Sigyn rather than the kingdom.

The battle itself was mostly good. It makes sense that it would take Rygart so long to start fighting semi-competently, and his naivety led to Dan's death as well. As for those who are complaining about him being a douche at Dan's grave, I don't see how you missed the explanation from Baldr that came literally immediately after his comments: Rygart says the opposite of how he feels when he's hurting as a coping mechanism. Although it seems like he's insulting Dan, in reality he's grieving and trying to play it off to himself in order to cope.

The only aspect of the battle that was shaky was the sudden appearance of the claymore. It was nowhere to be seen before the dust cloud went up. That was a bit suspension-straining.

By the way, General True is moron, but he's kinda hilarious too. Strutting his stuff then trying to die and let others "inherit his will" when absolutely none of it was necessary. I'm almost not sure if his subordinates should have dragged him back. xD

Overall, taking into account the pluses and the minuses, I think it was roughly on par with the last movie.
Mar 9, 2016 5:27 AM

Aug 2013
Good to see Zess actually has his own difficulties as well.
It seems like there are various conspiracy going on behind the scenes.
Nice to see Zess' unit kick ass but nothing fancy about the battles so far though.
Typical naive attitude on Rygart's side like the usual cliche protagonists do. *tsk tsk*
I'm pretty much on Zess' side for now.. Hodr's side is so weaaaakk.
If you think of the fact Rygart's just a farmer it's not so bad.
He's mecha is way too overpowered.
Apr 4, 2016 2:09 PM

Feb 2015
Ok episode but I was a little bit pissed Rygart was more concerned about the death of someone who was trying to kill him than someone who protected him and died because of his naivety.
Dec 7, 2016 6:00 AM

Mar 2015
Godly OP Song is Holy Sheet!! This song is the sole purpose to summon the God, haha.

Sasuke has kid! WoW!!

Lee is very strong and has life force equivalent to cockroach. That suicide scene is manly!!

The misunderstanding! Rygart vs Zess is unavoidable.

Why did Rygart suddenly wants to fight again at the end?

3.8/5
Apr 29, 2017 11:24 AM

Apr 2014
Well, a shitty MC spotted..
Godly annoying movie.
Apr 16, 2018 1:18 AM
Oct 2017
What an idiot! Hate Rygart with a passion now, getting someone killed while they were coming to help him because of his bus righteousness. He complete trash.
Sep 27, 2018 3:19 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
That ending...

I couldnt feel sorry for Lee, doesnt matter if you show me all those more light hearted scenes of her, when she was to fucking blame, she engaged and tried to kill over and over Rygart over and over again, she was fucking posessed too, crazy bitch, cant feel sorry for her, she is to blame for her own end.
Dec 5, 2018 11:08 PM
Nov 2016
The breaches in the main character's logic are astounding. He just fumbles around taking the "moral high ground" while his friends die all around him. He even grabs his ally's gun and let allowing him to get shot in order to appease his retarded sense of justice. Then he attempts to run off to the mountains after the damage is done. This anime is so interesting but I am sick of these self-contradicting pacifist characters that keep popping up in my animes.
Sep 2, 2019 12:40 PM

Dec 2015
Not a step up like I was hoping for, but at least it didn't fall into the bad territory.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jan 24, 2021 9:20 PM
Oct 2019
Why does Zess have to be an ass? The cemetery scene caught me off guard. And then it made me really sad when I realized what was happening.

Does the queen have a thing for Rygart? He seems to have a thing for her. But he's going to end up with that one chick from General Dumbasses squad, right?

The king seems pretty honourable, willing to sacrifice himself for his country. The exact opposite of what someone like Trump would do, since Trump literally tried to sacrifice his country for himself.

Curious what's up with this ancient text on the golem ("Fight Destiny"?), what the deal is with the ancients and magic quartz, etc, etc. Kind of glad that one Athens chick died.
Feb 18, 2021 5:40 AM
Oct 2019
that woman lee, what a sore loser. she got beaten then kill herself!? soldier like her doesn't worth the sum to train and pilot that mech's. its not like the enemy are goblin or orc that she need to defend her "honor". the situation doesn't lead to a need of suicide. was her commander doesn't teach "survive to fight another day" or "as long as we life we can try again"?
mc in the end, he think way ahead of his capabilities. typical main protag. hope he doesn't start to scream everytime to get his idea across.
the show as cliche as usual anime with this genre... so far i think i can enjoy watching it rolls.
Jun 8, 2021 10:26 AM
Jul 2018
I normally hate the 'whiny pacifist' phase every mecha protagonist seems contractually obliged to go through, but this was handled much better than most (looking at you Gundam).
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Anyone know when they'll sub this?

colty09 - Aug 9, 2010

12 by MeitDeist »»
Sep 7, 2010 12:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.