Forums
New
Is Cowboy Bebop Overrated?
Yes, it's overrated
51.8%
No, it's not overrated
48.2%
1,289 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Nov 10, 2010 10:29 AM

Oct 2010
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Still no. Apart from the complaints about the atmosphere, which I find awesome and unique, I can see why some people would be a little disappointed with the character development, specially in the way this anime is sold.

I don't think Cowboy Bebop is really outstanding in this part, but that was not, in my opinion, the whole point of the show at all. Yes, it deals about characters; yes, there is some investigation of their past, but there is not much of a development in the sense of one displaying another attitude throughout. It's more a slice-of-life than a sci-fi action-packed series, and this kind of shows doesn't really need dynamic characters with godly awesome evolution through the storyline, but rather simple and relatable portrayals. One of the main plots of this series is, actually, talking about accepting the routine, and that includes the manners of those you share your life with. How Faye starts to be fond of the rest the way they are, how Ed seemed to fill a gap nobody cared about until she was gone, and in general the sense of a growing affection for those you see every day.

Other than that, the story is amazing, with a great mix of genres, and it drives to one of the best endings I've seen in anime, so I don't know what could be wrong with that.
Nov 10, 2010 1:37 PM

Jul 2008
I enjoyed it, didn't see much of the hype like most of the crap nowadays, so I didn't get influenced.
It's probably overrated, but it's still pretty awesome.

Was looking around for a blu ray version earlier, shame there's not one around.
It also made me want to rewatch my samurai champloo boxset, in eng dub this time : o
I'm really annoyed that the blu ray is only in the US, though. My ps3 won't play it, I don't think.
Nov 12, 2010 6:41 AM

Oct 2009
No. (Maybe like 5% overrated)
I am not going to explain why, cuz haters gonna hate no matter what i tell.
Mar 31, 2011 2:50 PM
Nov 2010
Yeah it's overrated.

Not enough fan service and plot twists, not enough mindfuck and annoying main characters, not enough deep dialogue. Spike has an ugly hair cut. Not enough loli and tsundere to make it cool you know? Also there was a gay scene and a guy with woman breast, wtf is up with that?

Also Champloo ­> Bebop
Apr 2, 2011 8:36 PM
Jul 2018
Who cares?
I think it's so annoying that people let overrated-ness control how they feel about a show.
removed-userApr 2, 2011 8:49 PM
Apr 11, 2011 2:36 PM
Mar 2011
The fact that this thread was made means its underrated
Apr 11, 2011 2:37 PM

Mar 2011
Chaotic_beauty said:
Cowboy Bebop most certianly, from a critics perspective is great or among the best. It has quality and it's undeniable.

The fact that it's not one of my favorites, for I prefer different type of anime is totaly unrelated. Haters need to learn to differentiate between their own idea of a fun time and general quality.

Sorry this argument only works with Legend of the Galactic Heroes, everything else is a matter of opinion. And yes, Cowboy Bebop is overrated.
"I'm commander Shepard, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes is my favorite anime in the galaxy"
Apr 15, 2011 9:21 AM
Apr 2011
I don't think it's overrated. It's maybe just that the critics or fans who you see around happened to like the show, but as you see in this poll, 30% think it's overrated, which ironically, immediately shows that a significant amount of people think that it's not "awesome".

As for me, I believe what I loved about the show is something that some people hate about it. I loved how subtle it is, and how I only liked it when I watched it for the second time. If you hate the show, my previous sentence would be laughable to you, but I, and those who experienced the show the same way I did, would be nodding in agreement.

The director of Bebop is known well for his subtle foreshadowing. He usually delivers his stories in a straightforward fashion with some flashback for nostalgia. In my experience, watching his shows for the first time results in, "That was a nice show." But watching it the second time, and finding the little bits and pieces he left for the audience to pick up, makes me think, "Oh, so he was already foreshadowing something at this point!" There are many shows I have watched whose meanings become clearer after having watched them the second or third time, and this is one of them.

Bebop for me was, at first, about a man who was caught up in his past, and in the end comes to terms with it. It was an average show. After the second watching, it was a show about a man demonstrating at what lengths we all go through to live for what makes us live. At that point, it became a masterpiece to me.
Apr 17, 2011 8:18 PM
Apr 2011
I think it might as well be a "classic" and rightfully so.

I wouldn't call it the best, but everyone has their preferences. It's certainly likable, and has many different perspectives to see it from; whether it's the style of action, the philosophical side, the interpersonal drama, etc...

I won't hesitate to say it had a pretty amazing soundtrack, though.
Sep 28, 2011 8:09 PM
Jan 2009
supersayen said:
yes cuz half of the episodes are boring.

This is pretty much my position on it. The episodes that aren't boring, however, are phenomenal, so I can't really begrudge it too much. I think when people who like the series look back on it the really good episodes tend to overshadow the more unremarkable ones.
Oct 2, 2011 7:13 AM
Sep 2010
well I don't think it's overrated, only thing that kinda botherd me is randomness I think it needed a more continous story
Oct 2, 2011 7:18 AM

Aug 2011
"Is it overrated?" Yes, a little bit.

But is it bad and deserves hatred as some other shows [cough]Code Geass[/cough] do? -Not really. It had some fucking good episodes but other ones were just meh.

That's episodic anime for you!
Oct 2, 2011 7:26 AM
Mar 2011
highly over rated
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 4, 2012 7:48 PM
Jun 2012
Otaking87 said:
highly over rated
Oct 4, 2012 7:49 PM
Jul 2012
Yes hated that
Oct 14, 2012 4:32 PM

Dec 2009
It may be overrated, but there is nothing to hate. Still very solid series.
Oct 14, 2012 4:35 PM
Mar 2011
Good Muisc and Casting is all it has
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 20, 2012 11:02 AM

May 2012
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If anything it's underrated ;)
Aug 16, 2013 10:50 AM

Apr 2013
*bump* (sorry)

I personally don't think its overrated, but I can understand why people do.

As the musician Alex Turner once said: "don't believe the hype."
Sep 3, 2013 6:09 AM

Jan 2012
Its very enjoyable and i can see why its viewed as one of the classic anime, but i dont particularly enjoy its episodic nature. But hey, that's just like my opinion man.
Sep 7, 2013 12:56 PM

Jan 2013
I would say, it some aspects it's overrated and in others it is not.
You would love the show, depending on how you watch it.

If you're watching it for a story that will wow you and make you think for months on end, you will not enjoy it as much.

How I watch it, is that it's a relaxing show, like Aria, with a sci-fi spin, and jazzy atmosphere.
I mean, it's practically an episodic series with some drama for around 6 episodes.
It's well directed, the production values do not deter it, the music is amazing (And extremely memorable). The story is good.
It's literally a slice of life story about Space Bounty Hunters, not a story about psychology, or a corporate conglomerate, or romance.
It's kind of like a teaser for general sci-fi. I always say "If you're interested in anime, I recommend Cowboy Bebop as a first to watch." it's enjoyable.

Also, some of the episodes just inspire me, like a really good Shounen anime. Does that make it the best?
No, definitely not. But it certainly does require a viewing.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
Oct 25, 2013 2:40 PM

Mar 2012
Not overrated at all. On the surface Cowboy Bebop is great, but it tackles deep issues which makes it even greater.
Oct 30, 2013 6:47 PM

Jun 2007
I voted no, maybe there's a few individuals who overrate it, but everything is overrated if you think of things that way. I gave it a 9 while many others gave it a 10 but it definitely deserves it's title as a classic. What makes Cowboy Bebop is not so much the story (which is good) but the storytelling it's hard for episodic shows to really have a rise climax and fall and most importantly closure, but this does. Honestly I think it may have been the first.

It is still episodic, which isn't for everyone. That's one of things I always hear about the show that I disagree with that it's "for everyone" and "perfect intro series" while time has proven its a good starter series for many, nothing is ever for everyone.
Oct 31, 2013 3:04 AM

Sep 2013
Its overrated in my opinion, its not that good.
Nov 25, 2013 2:05 AM
Sep 2013
Voted no.

I'm sorry, I hate episodic series for the most part, but this show is a prime example of how to get it done right. Every single one of the stories were unbelievably fleshed out, the music was phenominal, the art was great at the time, and if you ask me, it still holds up rather well, and the English dub is very well done.

But the most impressive thing that came out of this series in my opinion is character development. There seriously isn't a single character that wasn't completely memorable. Well...that might not be entirely true, I mean, I don't remember most of their names (again, for the most part, each ep featured a new plot and new cast of characters, no way can I remember all of them lol), but I'll never forget what their story was, what they did, or what they looked like. And at the end of each episode I was so surprised at how much I was able to care about them despite how little time I was able to get to know them.
Nov 25, 2013 2:08 AM

Jan 2009
ExtendedRenegade said:
Voted no.

I'm sorry, but this show is a prime example of episodic done right. Every single one of the stories were unbelievably fleshed out, the music was phenominal, the art was great at the time, and if you ask me, it still holds up rather well, and the English dub is very well done.

i agree
Jun 18, 2014 2:03 PM

Jun 2010
SuperSaiyen said:
Yeah it's overrated.

Not enough fan service and plot twists, not enough mindfuck and annoying main characters, Spike has an ugly hair cut. Not enough loli and tsundere to make it cool you know?

You do realize, you just said that out loud right?
Jun 18, 2014 2:04 PM

Apr 2013
SpikeJet2736 said:
SuperSaiyen said:
Yeah it's overrated.

Not enough fan service and plot twists, not enough mindfuck and annoying main characters, Spike has an ugly hair cut. Not enough loli and tsundere to make it cool you know?

I'm pretty sure not a word was uttered, unless he talks while typing. And it was sarcasm, I imagine.
Jun 18, 2014 2:10 PM

Jun 2010
Cupquake said:
SpikeJet2736 said:

I'm pretty sure not a word was uttered, unless he talks while typing. And it was sarcasm, I imagine.

You know what I mean.
SolidPayneJul 8, 2014 1:25 PM
Jun 19, 2014 8:03 PM

Jun 2010
zharnotczar said:
When I asked what was so great about it, I was serious. I hear good things about this anime all the time, but I just couldn't get into it. I wanna know so that maybe I can be in on the whole thing.

Because you like K-On, that's why
Jun 19, 2014 8:16 PM

Jun 2010
Chaotic_beauty said:
The fact that it's not one of my favorites, for I prefer different type of anime is totaly unrelated. Haters need to learn to differentiate between their own idea of a fun time and general quality.

Well, said
Jun 19, 2014 8:18 PM

Nov 2013
its decent
Jun 19, 2014 8:24 PM

Oct 2011
I fell in love with Cowboy Bebop before I even realized what I was watching was anime. This was before I even had the internet or anything. I was captivated by the characters and the overall feel of the show, more so than I was the other shows that aired during that Adult Swim block.

There's plenty more anime I find overrated (despite liking) more than Bebop.

Jul 2, 2015 3:01 PM
Apr 2015
Cowboy Bepop is a good show, but it depends on when and where you watch it. I watched it due to the hype, and personally, I do feel it's overrated for this time and age. But the atmosphere, the setting and the animation are way ahead of its time and the one thing I dislike, or rather did not expect, is the lack of a unifying storyline. If you visit my list, you'll find that the ones I've rated best are those that lead up to a brillig, singular storyline. I was expecting that for Cowboy Bepop.
But though I don't hold it in high regard, I do agree that it deserves its praise and appreciation.
Jul 2, 2015 6:47 PM

Oct 2014
yes a bit
Jul 9, 2015 3:47 AM

Nov 2012
i was gonna make a thread with this exact title but then I saw this thread, obviously.

I tried watching it recently but had to drop it since every episode is exactly the kind of episode I hate. you know that one or two episodes in a series that feel disconnected from the rest of the show. the one that has the characters interact to new people and overcome new challenges and then learn nothing from it and the character they helped is never mentioned or seen again? that's almost every episode of Cowboy Bebop.

sure there are episodes that help progress the "story" but most of the time they feel disconnected and I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate those kind of episodes. I believe its popularity had to do with the fact that for most westerners it was their first mature, animated series.

the art style I can look past. it was a different time back then. the music I didn't really enjoy but I don't hate the series for it. I don't like it for its execution of trying to tell a story and getting me immersed in their universe.
Jul 9, 2015 3:52 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
wow that's a close poll :s

OT: prob yes, but not when it was new
Jul 9, 2015 4:39 AM

Mar 2014
Nope. It's a perfect ten always & forever; indeed it truly is one of the best anime.
Jul 23, 2015 2:28 AM
Jul 2013
CDXX said:
As far as giving a 10 goes, there are no objective reasons whatsoever to back it up, it's all opinions to a certain degree, so trying to convince people is just a waste of time. In that sense you could also read some existential irony aimed at this thread (or every other thread similar to this one) in my post if you are in the mood.

Besides that let me just say, that some people surely would enjoy the anime more if it WASN'T considered "overrated" or hyped. The fact that it is, (sub)consciously activates their sense of individuality and therefore provokes defiance in people, making them watch out for mistakes, weakpoints or clichés. Also I like to repeat that this anime is not meant be watched while EXPECTING it to be "the greatest masterpiece". If people would watch it without hearing about the hype, I'm sure they would generally like it more. It gives you everything if you expect nothing from it. I watched it twice under these conditions with 6 years between who made me forget I watched it in the first place, and I absolutely loved it both times. Not knowing about the rating/hype of a series is generally the best way to watch it, but this counts especially for Cowboy Bebop.

Also in the end Cowboy Bebop is just a new genre itself, and as a genre it's not mainly about the plot, but about (the) style, which it definitely has.

This post pretty much summed things up.

Some like the show and some don't. The ones who like it, when provoked into explaining why, naturally resort to an analytical explanation, focusing on arguments like character development and story. This doesn't work with Bebop. Besides being to some degree subjective, more importantly these points will never make sense to someone who watches One Piece or Naruto, where you can write a book on every character. Bebop is about the style of how it tells its story. It's not contrived or blunt in presentation; it's elegantly woven together, drawing from a variety of elements and innovative in how it does this. It's more about the sensation than anything objectively quantifiable you can articulate.

Good luck arguing a sensation. More people will be influenced by the hype, either the social pressure to respect a reputed classic or the natural defiance to stand out as an individual.
Jun 21, 2016 7:51 PM
Jun 2016
no, and if you say its overrated you clearly dont understand its purpose.
Sep 23, 2016 6:21 PM

Apr 2013
Well I think it really depends on the viewer, because Cowboy Bebop, wasn't a bad anime at all, but it wasn't a 10. I think putting 10 is overrating it, but putting 4 maybe 5 is totally wrong, because it wasn't bad, if you put a bad score, than you haven't seen some shit that is out there. Any way giving it from 6-8 maybe 9 is alright. I gave it 8, but because the ending song mood took me....I'm a sucker for moment. I think ending is really important, because that's what stays with us when the anime is ended.

Sep 24, 2016 4:25 PM
Sep 2016
Pullman said:

Besides that let me just say, that some people surely would enjoy the anime more if it WASN'T considered "overrated" or hyped. The fact that it is, (sub)consciously activates their sense of individuality and therefore provokes defiance in people, making them watch out for mistakes, weakpoints or clichés. Also I like to repeat that this anime is not meant be watched while EXPECTING it to be "the greatest masterpiece". If people would watch it without hearing about the hype, I'm sure they would generally like it more.

It goes both ways for different people. You can definitely tell when someone is liking or disliking something based on what others think. I have a hard time differentiating how much I like something if I haven't talked about it with someone else for a while, or looked up reviews.

That being said, Bebop is my favorite for a ton of reasons. Part nostalgia, style, themes, and setting all make it my favorite. I find plenty of people who hate on it simply for being too popular. They bring up a lack of originality as a problem, but
I have a hard time understanding that stance as everything is cyclical. I just think
Bebop did everything it set out to do really, really well.
Oct 16, 2016 7:40 PM
Jul 2018
Yes! the most overrated anime ever I have ever seen so far! OMP is my second,
This anime is simply flawless but merely has less entertainment.
Oct 16, 2016 7:55 PM

Apr 2015
Nah, it's a really good anime which deserves its legacy.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 18, 2017 11:55 AM
Sep 2016
I feel, many people say, it's so good, because it has so little flaws, but if that would be true, would that make a show perfect? no, it wouldn't; imagine a anime, that just shows red the entire show, lets say 20 episodes and 2 seasons, it wouldn't have any flaws, but wait, it would, it would be boring, and that is what I think cowboy bebop was...
Eva is boooooring, but "Komm, Süsser Tod" is a banger!
Jan 18, 2017 12:03 PM

Mar 2013
I personally believe it is.

I am sure the ending itself made many people increase their score for at least 1 or 2 points. As far as the story goes, i believe they should have went "deeper" with the main plot or simply put everything in 12-13 episodes instead of 26 as it would fit in better that way.
Patiently waiting for the best day of my life, the day when i die.
Feb 4, 2017 8:10 AM
Feb 2017
Cowboy Bebop was what brought me into animes. I am referring to the anime series here.

It's definitely not overrated. Every episode was crafted down to its minute detail- a precise art.

As for not expanding on the story- "Brevity is the soul of wit." Bebop told what it needed to tell.

Having being alive for 42 years, I seriously doubt we'll get something as earnest and warm as Cowboy Bebop ever again in terms of animes. It stands as a monument of a series, apart from every other animes out there.
Feb 4, 2017 8:15 AM

Jul 2014
Hell no, at least in my humble opinion. It ticks all the right boxes for me. It's tonally and stylistically eclectic while not feeling at all jarring, has an engaging setting, endearing and complex characters and fluid animation. Definitely worth absolutely all of the praise it has received over the years.
Take care of yourself

Feb 4, 2017 8:19 AM

Mar 2016

Cowboy Bebop is amazing. Hell, I've only seen a few episodes myself staying up till 4am to catch it on Adult Swim and I hold it in high regard. It's a classic gem of the past everyone should get a chance to watch.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 12, 2017 3:30 PM
Jun 2011
Asking if something is overrated, may be the stupidest question that anyone can ask, but here is my stupid answer;

I personally think that it's actually underrated, comparing it to some of the other anime that have higher average ratings. It should be much higher on the list, but who am I to judge others? Cowboy Bebop is an anime that is pretty unique, especially if you compare it to the recent clusterfucks, that just rehashes the same concept over and over again. Cowboy Bebop has it all; a unique setting, attention to detail, deep character development, epic soundtrack and it's rather mature. That last one is where I believe is the reason why the opinions start to vary.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Metty - May 14, 2008

622 by TeeDeeHeeHee »»
Apr 17, 11:57 AM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

samurai_tom - Jul 16, 2009

88 by Coletty »»
Apr 15, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 14, 2008

109 by wallus81 »»
Apr 13, 11:26 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 14, 2008

122 by wallus81 »»
Apr 13, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 13, 2008

206 by wallus81 »»
Apr 13, 10:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.