MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Manga Author of Kuroshitsuji Deplores Moral Deterioration of the Fans
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» News Discussion »» Manga Author of Kuroshitsuji Deplores Moral Deterioration of the Fans

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
08-17-10, 7:56 PM

Toboso Yana posted an entry in her blog about illegal manga and anime downloaders. She often receives letters from fans writing that "I borrowed scanned manga in ROMs from my friend wwww (i.e. lol)" "I've watched Kuroshitsuji on foreign video sharing sites!". She insisted that such acts are definitely criminal and stated that sending such letters amounts to an insult by saying "I love Kuroshitsuji, but I wanna let the creators starve to death."
"Quoting from Fullmetal Alchemist, it's against the rule of Equivalent Exchange to spend no money on anime making excuse that you cannot afford DVD or Blu-ray. ... Paying a little for rental DVDs or character goods will greatly help the anime and manga industry. Otherwise, we cannot continue creations."

note: Watching illegally uploaded anime on streaming sites is legal in Japan. Deliberate direct downloading is illegal.

Mangaka TAGRO responded to Toboso's post that it's encouraging to see such a distinguished creator has spoken out about the issue. Illustrator Shimada Humikane said illegal uploaders won't listen to her, but he wants the fans to refrain from talking openly about watching pirated materials.

Sources: Yana's blog, TAGRO's tweet, Shimada's tweet
Modified by dtshyk, 08-17-10, 8:27 PM

08-17-10, 8:04 PM

Wait streaming anime is legal, that doesn't make any sense.

I have said my two cents on this issue plenty so I will just step back and watch her lose all her "fans"
My anime list

08-17-10, 8:06 PM

Oh well.. Those people who wrote in to her left their brains in the rubbish bin.
icegenie.pngUntitled-1_04-04.gif

08-17-10, 8:07 PM

dtshyk said:
"I borrowed scanned manga in ROMs from my friend wwww (i.e. lol)" "I've watched Kuroshitsuji on foreign video sharing sites!"

Who in their right minds would say this? Seriously lol
BADGES

08-17-10, 8:08 PM

I think she's taking it a bit too far. Tbh, the reason why I'm supporting the anime/manga industry right now is because of illegal scans/uploads. Enjoying anime/manga while coming to the realization that "I love anime, but I wanna let the creators starve to death" was what got me to start wanting to buy anime. Let's not forget, companies like Funimation also largely depend on how popular an anime is due to fansubs to decide whether to release the anime on DVD to foreigners or not (and if really successful, whether to add a dub or not).

I think she should condemn people who watch anime but have no intention of supporting the industry. To condemn people just because they've used illegally uploaded anime might just end up becoming a double edged sword.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.

08-17-10, 8:10 PM

What ever ?!

08-17-10, 8:11 PM

guyklc said:
I think she's taking it a bit too far. Tbh, the reason why I'm supporting the anime/manga industry right now is because of illegal scans/uploads. Enjoying anime/manga while coming to the realization that "I love anime, but I wanna let the creators starve to death" was what got me to start wanting to buy anime. Let's not forget, companies like Funimation also largely depend on how popular an anime is due to fansubs to decide whether to release the anime on DVD to foreigners or not (and if really successful, whether to add a dub or not).

I think she should condemn people who watch anime but have no intention of supporting the industry. To condemn people just because they've used illegally uploaded anime might just end up becoming a double edged sword.

I think mangakas care more about monetary support than empty feelings.

08-17-10, 8:13 PM

Deliberate direct downloading is illegal.

WHAT DID YOU SAY? Good thing I've only accidentally downloaded all my anime!

And why do we continue making posts like these news? This isn't news to anyone, even if the creator of Kuroshitsuji said it. If people wanted to buy the DVDs or manga, they would buy it. When I watch anime or read manga and I like it a lot, I go purchase it.

08-17-10, 8:15 PM

I download anime, but I buy the real copy once it's out in my country. Why would I wait two or three freakin years for my favorite anime and mangas to be released here when I could watch them directly when they come out from japan.

08-17-10, 8:16 PM

Why would idiot fans will even think about writing to the authors that they download their work. They must be smoking too much crack to be that stupid.

08-17-10, 8:19 PM

I loved how she used Equivalent Exchange. People are dumb for sending in things like that.

08-17-10, 8:21 PM

They be trollin'

08-17-10, 8:32 PM

Lol Cantius...But yea...Cant see why people would send letters like that...Pretty funny...

08-17-10, 8:46 PM

Melman88 said:
I download anime, but I buy the real copy once it's out in my country. Why would I wait two or three freakin years for my favorite anime and mangas to be released here when I could watch them directly when they come out from japan.

same here. but i don't think she was talking about foreign readers/watchers; she's obviously talking about this from a directly japanese-to-japanese standpoint. after all, how can she or any mangaka be angry that fans in other countries are so anxious to get her/their work? i'm certainly not waiting for official subs/translations; i can barely wait for fansubs. even though my japanese is extraordinarily limited.

08-17-10, 8:58 PM

this chick should be happy that we are even watching her anime. hell if it werent for these free sites we wouldnt even have heard about kuroshitsuji

08-17-10, 9:00 PM

Ah, the rule of Equivalent Exchange. Such a profound statement, used to even lecture immoral fans!

08-17-10, 9:10 PM

rude "fans" are rude.

08-17-10, 9:18 PM

and how can you tell what a rude fan is?

08-17-10, 9:19 PM

clearly she is starving to death..

although some of these would be "fans" are rather stupid.

08-17-10, 9:22 PM

Because Toboso Yana is so poor.

Edit:
kisami said:
clearly she is starving to death..

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices