Forum Settings
Forums

Manga Author of Kuroshitsuji Deplores Moral Deterioration of the Fans

New
Aug 17, 2010 7:56 PM

Feb 2008
Toboso Yana posted an entry in her blog about illegal manga and anime downloaders. She often receives letters from fans writing that "I borrowed scanned manga in ROMs from my friend wwww (i.e. lol)" "I've watched Kuroshitsuji on foreign video sharing sites!". She insisted that such acts are definitely criminal and stated that sending such letters amounts to an insult by saying "I love Kuroshitsuji, but I wanna let the creators starve to death."
"Quoting from Fullmetal Alchemist, it's against the rule of Equivalent Exchange to spend no money on anime making excuse that you cannot afford DVD or Blu-ray. ... Paying a little for rental DVDs or character goods will greatly help the anime and manga industry. Otherwise, we cannot continue creations."

note: Watching illegally uploaded anime on streaming sites is legal in Japan. Deliberate direct downloading is illegal.

Mangaka TAGRO responded to Toboso's post that it's encouraging to see such a distinguished creator has spoken out about the issue. Illustrator Shimada Humikane said illegal uploaders won't listen to her, but he wants the fans to refrain from talking openly about watching pirated materials.

Sources: Yana's blog, TAGRO's tweet, Shimada's tweet
dtshykAug 17, 2010 8:27 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 17, 2010 8:04 PM

May 2007
Wait streaming anime is legal, that doesn't make any sense.

I have said my two cents on this issue plenty so I will just step back and watch her lose all her "fans"
My anime list
Aug 17, 2010 8:06 PM

Feb 2010
Oh well.. Those people who wrote in to her left their brains in the rubbish bin.
icegenie.pngUntitled-1_04-04.gif
Aug 17, 2010 8:07 PM

Oct 2009
dtshyk said:
"I borrowed scanned manga in ROMs from my friend wwww (i.e. lol)" "I've watched Kuroshitsuji on foreign video sharing sites!"

Who in their right minds would say this? Seriously lol
BADGES
Aug 17, 2010 8:08 PM

Aug 2008
I think she's taking it a bit too far. Tbh, the reason why I'm supporting the anime/manga industry right now is because of illegal scans/uploads. Enjoying anime/manga while coming to the realization that "I love anime, but I wanna let the creators starve to death" was what got me to start wanting to buy anime. Let's not forget, companies like Funimation also largely depend on how popular an anime is due to fansubs to decide whether to release the anime on DVD to foreigners or not (and if really successful, whether to add a dub or not).

I think she should condemn people who watch anime but have no intention of supporting the industry. To condemn people just because they've used illegally uploaded anime might just end up becoming a double edged sword.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Aug 17, 2010 8:10 PM
Jun 2010
What ever ?!
Aug 17, 2010 8:11 PM

Feb 2009
guyklc said:
I think she's taking it a bit too far. Tbh, the reason why I'm supporting the anime/manga industry right now is because of illegal scans/uploads. Enjoying anime/manga while coming to the realization that "I love anime, but I wanna let the creators starve to death" was what got me to start wanting to buy anime. Let's not forget, companies like Funimation also largely depend on how popular an anime is due to fansubs to decide whether to release the anime on DVD to foreigners or not (and if really successful, whether to add a dub or not).

I think she should condemn people who watch anime but have no intention of supporting the industry. To condemn people just because they've used illegally uploaded anime might just end up becoming a double edged sword.

I think mangakas care more about monetary support than empty feelings.
Aug 17, 2010 8:13 PM

Jul 2009
Deliberate direct downloading is illegal.

WHAT DID YOU SAY? Good thing I've only accidentally downloaded all my anime!

And why do we continue making posts like these news? This isn't news to anyone, even if the creator of Kuroshitsuji said it. If people wanted to buy the DVDs or manga, they would buy it. When I watch anime or read manga and I like it a lot, I go purchase it.
Aug 17, 2010 8:15 PM

Aug 2009
I download anime, but I buy the real copy once it's out in my country. Why would I wait two or three freakin years for my favorite anime and mangas to be released here when I could watch them directly when they come out from japan.
Aug 17, 2010 8:16 PM

Jun 2009
Why would idiot fans will even think about writing to the authors that they download their work. They must be smoking too much crack to be that stupid.
Aug 17, 2010 8:19 PM

Apr 2009
I loved how she used Equivalent Exchange. People are dumb for sending in things like that.
Aug 17, 2010 8:32 PM

Jun 2007
Lol Cantius...But yea...Cant see why people would send letters like that...Pretty funny...
Aug 17, 2010 8:46 PM

Oct 2009
Melman88 said:
I download anime, but I buy the real copy once it's out in my country. Why would I wait two or three freakin years for my favorite anime and mangas to be released here when I could watch them directly when they come out from japan.

same here. but i don't think she was talking about foreign readers/watchers; she's obviously talking about this from a directly japanese-to-japanese standpoint. after all, how can she or any mangaka be angry that fans in other countries are so anxious to get her/their work? i'm certainly not waiting for official subs/translations; i can barely wait for fansubs. even though my japanese is extraordinarily limited.
Aug 17, 2010 8:58 PM

Aug 2010
this chick should be happy that we are even watching her anime. hell if it werent for these free sites we wouldnt even have heard about kuroshitsuji
Aug 17, 2010 9:00 PM

Jul 2009
Ah, the rule of Equivalent Exchange. Such a profound statement, used to even lecture immoral fans!

Aug 17, 2010 9:10 PM

Nov 2006
rude "fans" are rude.
Aug 17, 2010 9:18 PM

Aug 2010
and how can you tell what a rude fan is?
Aug 17, 2010 9:19 PM

Feb 2008
clearly she is starving to death..

although some of these would be "fans" are rather stupid.
Aug 17, 2010 9:22 PM

May 2007
Because Toboso Yana is so poor.

Edit:
kisami said:
clearly she is starving to death..
Aug 17, 2010 9:23 PM
Jan 2008
conflicting.... the desire for free manga/anime and the plight of the authors....
another woe of a capitalist society
"Forged in darkness with wheat harvested from Hell's half acre. Baked by Beelzabub; slathered with mayonnaise beaten from the evil eggs of dark chickens, force-fed to dogs by the hands of a one-eyed madman. Cheese boiled from the rancid utters of fanged cows. Layered with 666 separate meats from an animal which has maggots for blood."
ATHF
Aug 17, 2010 9:27 PM
Dec 2009
To me reading manga online is just like going to the library to read it. Along the way of getting it someone had to pay for a copy, whether I read it in a library or online the author doesn't get money from me because someone already had to pay to get it.
Aug 17, 2010 9:29 PM

Dec 2007
bookkid900 said:
To me reading manga online is just like going to the library to read it. Along the way of getting it someone had to pay for a copy, whether I read it in a library or online the author doesn't get money from me because someone already had to pay to get it.

In many countries the author does actually get some royalties based on how many times the book is checked out of a library. The library might also buy more if a book is popular enough (to increase circulation, because the old one starts falling apart, etc).
Aug 17, 2010 9:35 PM
Sep 2008
I think that she has a right to feel that way and it's good of her to speak out like that.

Also, serious respect to her for quoting Fullmetal Alchemist. That was great!

Whenever I can I buy manga in Japanese from Japan, but the shipping's expensive so I can't do that nearly as much as I'd like. I really want to support the creators of my favorite series as much as I can! If I lived in Japan it'd be a lot easier to do that, so it's really annoying to hear that some Japanese people would only read/watch things on the computer instead of buying the series they love.

fdssdfdsfsfAug 17, 2010 9:40 PM
Aug 17, 2010 9:42 PM

Jul 2008
I've always loathed the idea that if you aren't mindlessly buying every product, then you aren't fan. It's just a ploy to get you to put more money into the industry. Sure, it is a noble act to contribute to the industry, but to call someone a degenerate because they aren't is absolute silliness, plain and simple.
Aug 17, 2010 9:50 PM

Aug 2008
"Fans" are stupid cunts but no borderlineBL-fest maker should preach to me about moral deterioration
Aug 17, 2010 10:03 PM

Sep 2008
Melman88 said:

same here i have spend a fair amount money on anime. but lets face it, there are a lot of anime that will never hit the shelf here in the US. subbed or dubbed.

oh and the stupid fan should be shot out of a canon
Aug 17, 2010 10:06 PM

Jul 2007
Melman88 said:

Amen, Download then delete once I able to buy. needless to say funimation is cleaning up my harddrive for me over the next year lol.
Aug 17, 2010 10:20 PM

Feb 2008
Kvakond said:
"Fans" are stupid cunts but no borderlineBL-fest maker should preach to me about moral deterioration
^ this motherfucker has a point.
Aug 17, 2010 10:22 PM

Jan 2009
darn im also starving i live in a third world country and only through piracy where i can enjoy their works (anime and manga) but seriously those who can afford to buy them should buy it later when its available on their local stores
Aug 17, 2010 10:41 PM

May 2010
tbh, I'm very sad after reading this because I'm just a fan from pure downloading illegal materials but what can I do now? I live in a third world country and I'm still a student and can't earn money yet. But I plan to buy my favorite manga and dvd's(ofc the original ones, pirated dvds here are abundant) when I earned my money from work after studying ^_^ And yeah it's the fan who wrote the letter to the mangaka at fault. What's the reason of stating the source of his/her anime/manga in his/her letter? To boast to her favorite mangaka that's he's a computer master and the cause is her awesome anime?

P.S. I'm not watching kuroSHITsuji. Is it an intelligent anime like monster or LOGH? If no, maybe that's the bad cause of creating not so well intelligent fans. So, is it valid to say the mangaka of kuroSHITsuji don't be angry if their fan carved from their work babble not so intelligent things to her noh?
Signature has been deleted as it far exceeded the file size restrictions.
Aug 17, 2010 10:46 PM
Apr 2010
they can say whatever they want it wont stop people from doing what they always do
common things like manga anime music and movies should be made in the first place for the fans not for the money
i still buy figures, poster, etc and that is supporting it
i just do it my own way and not they way of others
if she doesnt want people downloading her loved work she should stop writing it thats all there is to it... its for the fans not for money shes just greedy they all are
im a pirate your a pirate we are all pirates!!!
Aug 17, 2010 11:02 PM

Jun 2009
renjikuchiki1 said:
conflicting.... the desire for free manga/anime and the plight of the authors....
another woe of a capitalist society

girlsdeadmonster said:

if she doesnt want people downloading her loved work she should stop writing it thats all there is to it... its for the fans not for money shes just greedy they all are

Well, I'd at least want something if I was spending a good portion of my life creating manga, or anything for that matter. Money's gotta come from somewhere....
Aug 17, 2010 11:10 PM

Mar 2009
Ecchi-sempai said:
this chick should be happy that we are even watching her anime. hell if it werent for these free sites we wouldnt even have heard about kuroshitsuji

i probably would have worded this a bit more nicely but hes right. if it wasnt for fan subs and scanlations i never would have found about this series or a lot of others for that matter.

i download them and watch them but when they become available here i do buy the official release! well thats IF it comes out here.
Aug 17, 2010 11:17 PM

Jun 2009
Melman88 said:
I download anime but I don't buy dvds. The only dvd's I bought is Blood+/Cardcaptor Sakura/Kuroshitsuji. I realized that the subtitles are crap.

Aug 17, 2010 11:45 PM

Apr 2008
I like Kuroshitsuji, but this mangaka is dumb as a rock. I'm going to make a point of it never to buy any Kuroshitsuji manga now. Too bad for this starving artist, but there are a lot more appreciative mangaka that I could be giving my money to.

I download anime but I don't buy dvds. The only dvd's I bought is Blood+/Cardcaptor Sakura/Kuroshitsuji. I realized that the subtitles are crap.

Yeah, the quality of the "official" releases is horrible. If I could figure out how to make my computer accept all regions, I'd buy the DVDs directly from Japan (or when I get a new DVD player). Won't understand a word they're saying (okay, most words) but at least I won't be paying for subpar content and encouraging them to release more of it.
lostintokyoAug 17, 2010 11:50 PM
Aug 17, 2010 11:55 PM

Feb 2010
girlsdeadmonster said:

common things like manga anime music and movies should be made in the first place for the fans not for the money

This opinion is totally naive.
If you work you want money to compensate for the work you did.
That´s totally natual and fair.

The problem is:
Outside of japan the anime industrie is much to weak.
Most anime don´t even leave japan.
And when they do you have to buy them in the most countries, you can´t rent them from libraries.
This becomes extremly expensive.

An other prat of the problem is, these illegal uploads are to compensate for the shortcommings of the industrie.
Well, it isn´t a real problem, because if we poeple from europe and america download anime we don´t buy it, that´s right, but we couldn´t buy it anyway, since it´s not sold in our countries.
So theres actually no damage to the anime industrie if we download them.

The actual problem is, when japanese fans download anime because they whould be able to buy anime, but decide to not do it and download it instead.

And regarding the quotation of Full Metal Alchemist...
That´s just childish. Toboso Yana makes herself stupid, when she thinks that fans whouldn´t understand this whole topic if she whouldn´t explain it in this way...
Comments like this are the reason, why she gets letters like that.
Aug 18, 2010 12:18 AM

Jan 2009
wait, why did things like this just shown up on this year anyway ?
Aug 18, 2010 12:21 AM

Oct 2007
LOL, it's the beginning of a new age: anime will be paid for on the spot
Aug 18, 2010 12:28 AM

Sep 2009
There should be an online manga reading site you pay for like crunchyroll. I would gladly pay a monthly fee (as long as it's not outrageous) to be able view manga scans.

I like what crunchyroll is doing. The only reason I'm not paying a monthly fee to crunchyroll is because they don't have a simulcast of all the new currently airing anime. I might even pay if they at least have close to all. It would be great if they did this and over time continue to build their library of anime (with a 720p streaming option). They might be able to come up with some system to be able to download anime and watch as long as you're paying monthly fees.
Aug 18, 2010 1:35 AM

Dec 2009
All I can say is "Wow"
Aug 18, 2010 2:18 AM

Mar 2010
People are really cracking down on illegal downloading now! Not just in anme and manga, but the music industry aswell.

Although I have to say, I highly doubt Toboso Yana's satrving to death, with the amount of Kuroshitsuji merch/etc. out there.

I always try to buy manga/anime when it hits the UK if I love it, and if I can'tafford it, I'll rent it fom the library to encourage them to order more stuff in.
Aug 18, 2010 2:33 AM
Jun 2007
Wow.
When I read a manga scanlation, because it isn't publiced in English yet, I buy the japanese manga. I have the scanlation with the english translation, and I have the original copy and supports the artists.
But I wish I had a lot more money!!
Aug 18, 2010 3:14 AM

Aug 2009
so mean..D;

It takes forever for the DVDs and manga to come out..

and even though we watch/read it on the internet first..

People still buy the dvd and manga when they come out!!

We cant simply wait for them, because they take FOREVER!
Aug 18, 2010 4:02 AM

Oct 2008
Starving to death??? Hell no...
Listen I am struggling to pay a 10 euro fee per month on my internet, food, electricity and water bills and some other essentials for daily life and I need a pair of glasses but I don't have a minimum of 100 euro to spend at one go.
One manga volume over here is at least 9 euros. If you collect al chapters of Kuroshitsuji up until now you will end up with about ten volumes. 10 x 9 = 90 euros - almost the money to get myself what I really need for my health.
Who is starving to death now?

I think Yana and other mangaka will want to start to understand that not everyone has bazillions of money coming out from everywhere. She and other mangaka are selling millions of copies in Japan and in some other countries. Yes, I know that not all the money goes to the mangaka but she can't say that she is starving to death.

And another point - so far Kuroshitsuji has only 2 volumes released in English. Does she think that her foreign fans are going to wait YEARS to read the current manga chapters? And more: Kuroshitsuji is not available in every country - like here (I live in an English speaking country and I still can't find loads of English released manga over here. Other non English speaking countries might never get translations for any manga at all.

So that means not everyone has the right to enjoy manga - am I right?
That's what she and other people are saying.

Besides who the hell is going to buy every single manga they like. Besides the financial problem, there is also the problem of space you have to have to store so much books. Hell, not everyone has enough room for a library in their house!
Aug 18, 2010 4:13 AM
May 2009
mitamaking said:
Wait streaming anime is legal, that doesn't make any sense.

I have said my two cents on this issue plenty so I will just step back and watch her lose all her "fans"

Viewing online is like watching tv, it's not really distribution o.o
but when u download it, it actually becomes as if u r distributing it

I guess that's how it is there
Aug 18, 2010 4:14 AM

Nov 2008
I'm tempted to look up her address and send her a letter saying I illegally downloaded Kuroshitsuji and didn't like it that much.
Aug 18, 2010 4:44 AM

Nov 2007
lol i only accidently download my anime too sure if i like it i have no problem paying for it how ever i wont buy kurohitsuji unless they shounen it up a bit and add more violence more cruelty more blood and some more profanity xD

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Aug 18, 2010 4:45 AM

Nov 2007
Mammoth said:
I'm tempted to look up her address and send her a letter saying I illegally downloaded Kuroshitsuji and didn't like it that much.
ill do that too lol

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Aug 18, 2010 5:08 AM

Aug 2008
As usual, leechers and their false sense of privilege is rude and disgusting.

a distinguished creator

Distinguished? Hahahaha, now they're just pulling my leg.. have they read that crap? Even if it's crap, it doesn't excuse those responses.
shinkeikakuAug 18, 2010 5:25 AM
Aug 18, 2010 9:06 AM

Apr 2010
icegenie said:
Oh well.. Those people who wrote in to her left their brains in the rubbish bin.

lol definatly...

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Today

4 by MichaelJackson »»
1 hour ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

71 by MichaelJackson »»
1 hour ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
Today, 9:22 AM

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.