Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 12, 2010 5:28 AM

Nov 2008
When I read vol1 c3, the extra, I was quite shocked it was written from the viewpoint the nazis were the good guys. I thought: well, it is original, and it isn't like it's never done before. I mean - think of the movie Der Untergang.

Anyhow, when I was done reading the old petshop I came across a story about that doberman - it wore a uniform and answerd with "ja" and "nein".
And then the story about the teddybear-grandma that turned out to be jewish. Ending with a person screaming "jewish pig", "fascism lives on", "heil Hitler" and "sieg heil"

Does anyone know the background of this mangaka? What is Akino-sensei's viewpoint on world war two? What does Akino-sensei feel about it?

Because I was really planning to buy Akino-sensei's work, but now I'm doubting if I should to support it.

edit 31-08-2010
I've read it all again online and concluded those stories were the only ones in so many and decided to buy the series anyhow!
bleebAug 31, 2010 4:11 AM
Come and look around at the autism club or the Yakuza FC!
Sep 19, 2010 10:29 AM

Aug 2010
I never got the idea that the Nazis were the good guys in that short, I got the feeling that they were crazy and it was good that those two committed suicide.

As for the Doberman, you conclude that because he speaks German he must be a Nazi? Dobermans are a dog from Germany, same with the German Shepherd and the Dachshund.

I don't think she supports fascism, but only shows the evil that went on during that time. You also have to remember, to Japan, Germany was an ally back in that time, so their views will probably be different than an American or European with the mindset that Germany was evil. A good example is Hetalia, where Germany is actually likable and Italy is somewhat of a fluffy idiot that likes pasta and has a penchant for hiding in tomato boxes.
Sep 22, 2010 1:08 AM

Nov 2008
Maverynthia said:
I never got the idea that the Nazis were the good guys in that short, I got the feeling that they were crazy and it was good that those two committed suicide.

As for the Doberman, you conclude that because he speaks German he must be a Nazi? Dobermans are a dog from Germany, same with the German Shepherd and the Dachshund.

I don't think she supports fascism, but only shows the evil that went on during that time. You also have to remember, to Japan, Germany was an ally back in that time, so their views will probably be different than an American or European with the mindset that Germany was evil. A good example is Hetalia, where Germany is actually likable and Italy is somewhat of a fluffy idiot that likes pasta and has a penchant for hiding in tomato boxes.

Hell no! I didn't think the Doberman was a Nazi because he spoke German! His uniform and his behaviour were the factors that freaked me out. The German did the trick!
I live in a village that is on the border from the Netherlands and Germany (I'm Dutch). So I know the stories about the war, and I know not every German was a nazi back then. But maybe that's why I'm freaked out when I see mannerisms that feel nazi-like.

About the oneshot with Eva Braun - I really felt like the oneshot was about Eva's relationship with Hitler and their new pet - the Kirin. To me it was about how Eva could get close to Hitler and become happy. The other story about the Kirin (Petshop of Horrors, with the bloke and his lackey running from American President) was also in a way very positive about the Kirin owner.

That were the points that made me doubt it. And Count D's misanthropic behaviour and D's father preaching about survival of the fittest didn't exactly help change the image.
But as I told in my previous post in the edit I read it all again, and concluded it isn't fascism. I even bought Akino-sensei's work.
Come and look around at the autism club or the Yakuza FC!
Jun 2, 2011 8:15 AM
Nov 2008
Even if nobody has replied to this thread for a long time I think that what most people associate with fascism is Italy and not really Germany where there was nazism.

Also what most people believe to be nazi traits is a devotion and high discipline that was unlike what most extremist groups had. They aren't however nazi traits is you see what I mean.

Also I think you were a little over-sensitive concerning this issue.
Aug 28, 2013 11:58 PM

Sep 2011
Aw, the doberman story was my all time favorite in the manga. The way the girl and Dreizhen started bonding, when she originally disliked him, was cute. Plus it had a happy ending.

I think the reason he dressed in uniform was because he was originally a military dog. He wasn't necessarily a Nazi dog. And considering that the story takes place in the 90s, it seems kind of a stretch that a Nazi dog would have had that long of a lifespan. If he had been enlisted in 1945, he would have been at least 50 years old by the time he was introduced. I guess it's conceivable that anything is possible with Count D, but I don't think Dreizhen was a supernatural animal in any way.

Sorry for the necro, but there's not much else going on in this forum anyway.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shin Petshop of Horrors Chapter 42 Discussion

AzafuseKingTora - Dec 16, 2022

0 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Dec 16, 2022 1:14 PM

Poll: » Shin Petshop of Horrors Chapter 40 Discussion

AzafuseKingTora - Dec 15, 2022

0 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Dec 15, 2022 2:22 PM

Poll: » Shin Petshop of Horrors Chapter 30 Discussion

AzafuseKingTora - Dec 14, 2022

0 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Dec 14, 2022 9:04 AM

Poll: » Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo Chapter 10 Discussion

Loreley - Jun 16, 2010

2 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Dec 9, 2022 2:49 PM

» Shin Petshop of Horrors: Volume 1 Discussion

tatselk - Jul 12, 2008

1 by crimeoflove »»
Aug 17, 2008 1:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.