Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spiral
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 5, 2010 5:39 PM
Nov 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ok, was I the only one who felt like the story in this anime didn't reallt develop or anything?? I still don't know who the Blade children are and what their purpose was or why they were called blade children. What happened to his brother? Why did he disappear and all that and how does the blade children know him?? gahh I think I'm gonna find and read the manga if there is one -.- and hope for an answer. Anyways I still give this an 8 because it reminded me a bit of Death Note. But still they should have atleast finished the story in this or gief a season 2 or something.
KinetaSep 11, 2012 11:29 PM
Aug 9, 2010 4:04 AM

Mar 2010
That's exactly how I felt once I finished it. It had such an abrupt ending. Nothing was solved throughout the series as you said. They could have continued it easily. Other than that, it was a pretty good show.
Aug 25, 2010 10:30 AM

Oct 2009
hm... it'z pretty good storyline.. waw.. hope will be another season of this anime.. sooner or later..

but.. Manga end.. three years ago i think..

Aug 31, 2010 5:08 PM

May 2010
Just how many bombs were there in this series?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 26, 2010 9:46 PM

Jul 2010
WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST WATCH!?
Oct 6, 2010 12:18 PM

Apr 2010
still don't understand wat the hell is going on...is there a manga that continues the story or wat bcuz this was crap 2 me im sorry....and 2 think sum1 compared this 2 Death Note...please >_>
[Catchy, cool, insightful quote]
Nov 4, 2010 1:57 PM

Jun 2008
It wasn't dissapointing, but I wish they could of at least tied up some loose ends. Oh well, the manga continues and it's so much better.
Jun 29, 2012 10:18 PM

Jun 2012
the anime was pretty good even when it felt unfinished
Oct 13, 2012 6:21 PM

Jul 2012
Meh. That was so boring. ._. 3/5 Overall series deserves 6.5/10 which I will round down to a 6, because I think 7 is being too generous.

This anime is bad but there were definitely some amazing and awesome episodes like hotel one, the save the tape and hiyono, and also the first few episodes.

In conclusion, some episodes were great, and the rest were not. Most of the time I was just listening to the english dub while doing something else on the computer because it was boring and the animation wasn't worth to look at.

And yeah, that was an unsatisfying ending. The loose ends were not tied up.

Gonna find the manga and finish it because I'm sure it ends it better.
Oct 24, 2012 5:33 PM

Jan 2012
the real ending is in the manga duuh and it's awesome
Oct 26, 2012 11:14 PM

Oct 2010
Only thing that kept me watching this show was how he got out traps. Other than that the story was shit. A lot of plot holes. I still dont know wtf the Blade Children really are. I got an idea but im not sure yet.
Nov 19, 2012 10:14 AM

Nov 2010
renders said:
Shouldn't have to read the manga to get a good ending, face it, the show is crap.

The mysteries sucked they didn't give the viewer a chance to solve them and the solutions were stupid. What maybe two people died the whole show and the main character was trying too hard to be cool, there was too many bombs. Crappy characters and the characters art was crappy, who would believe an 11 year old is a murderer who they didn't even turn in(they instead became friends with her). The story did not go anywhere though they tried to give an illusion that it did by playing the music at the end like "our long journey is over, we have learned everything that we set out to" they did not learn anything about the blade children, the hunters, or his brother.

And if you look at the recommendations everyone is talking about how dark this anime is, it wasn't dark at all, I would let a 3 year old watch this.
Nov 19, 2012 10:18 AM

Jan 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
renders said:
Shouldn't have to read the manga to get a good ending, face it, the show is crap.

The mysteries sucked they didn't give the viewer a chance to solve them and the solutions were stupid. What maybe two people died the whole show and the main character was trying too hard to be cool, there was too many bombs. Crappy characters and the characters art was crappy, who would believe an 11 year old is a murderer who they didn't even turn in(they instead became friends with her). The story did not go anywhere though they tried to give an illusion that it did by playing the music at the end like "our long journey is over, we have learned everything that we set out to" they did not learn anything about the blade children, the hunters, or his brother.

And if you look at the recommendations everyone is talking about how dark this anime is, it wasn't dark at all, I would let a 3 year old watch this.

Are you mentally challenged?WHat about Berserk,Claymore,D-Gray Man and so on?The manga was ongoing by the time these were airing and the same goes for spiral.Basically here the second half is filler while in the manga everything is explained
Nov 19, 2012 11:40 AM

Nov 2010
renders said:
IntroverTurtle said:
renders said:

Are you mentally challenged?WHat about Berserk,Claymore,D-Gray Man and so on?The manga was ongoing by the time these were airing and the same goes for spiral.Basically here the second half is filler while in the manga everything is explained
So? Did I say that those anime had great stories, and that they told everything?, no I didn't. This is just about Spiral's anime, bringing up other anime is not proving anything. I think you might be the one who is mentally challenged.

And that doesn't change the fact that the anime showed nothing of the story and the mysteries were boring. I know the manga showed all of it but that doesn't change anything because I watched the anime and have no intentions of having to read manga just to finish the story(which wasn't even interesting IMO).
Nov 19, 2012 12:23 PM

Jan 2012
Ok maybe I shouldn't have insulted you I guess it was more like a heads up that the actual story is explained,and I understand you not liking the anime it's cool every show has persons that likes it or dislikes it,and if I hadn't read the manga I would have hated it too that ending was poorly done.
Nov 19, 2012 1:33 PM

Nov 2010
renders said:
Ok maybe I shouldn't have insulted you I guess it was more like a heads up that the actual story is explained,and I understand you not liking the anime it's cool every show has persons that likes it or dislikes it,and if I hadn't read the manga I would have hated it too that ending was poorly done.
Yeah maybe you shouldn't have when you were the one who was wrong. I think everybody knows that the story is always better in the manga, but the truth is they didn't reveal anything about the story, it isn't about just not liking it or whatever, it's about the facts.
Dec 3, 2012 9:22 PM
Nov 2012
From what i think its a waste of a completely perfect protagonist!!!
I mean, where can you find a cool looking intelligent guy in anime these days??? Its hell difficult... I was searching for intelligent anime protagonists where i found this crap, and story looked decent that is why i downloaded it, but this is fucking ridiculous, i mean since the first episode there is no improvement of the dis-closer of these so called secrets about blade children, and this guy Kiyotaka the so called famous brother of Ayumu.
Now since the episode 1 to 25 there is no one revealing what is this stuff about the blade children and what are their purpose? why are they being targeted? what are hunters??? and the most important question is where is Ayumu's brother??? He just ran off completely leaving his wife and brother behind? There is no explanation to this why is did that and for what reason. Story is just hanging in the thin air...

From what i think it would be stupid to watch this anime for the waste of time... unless you want to bear the pain of this frustration.
Alpha7752Dec 3, 2012 9:27 PM
Dec 28, 2012 3:34 PM

Jul 2012
renders said:

The anime has some promising moments like the first couple of episodes but later, it started dragging on. The real key parts of the anime were the little mysteries and life-and-death situations that the Blade Children threw at Ayumu. Otherwise, all the other things were dragged out too much and were unnecessary. With that being said, the ending wasn't tied up nicely and left a lot of things unanswered.

Yes, the manga's good. I've read some of it before I watched the anime. But just because the source is good, doesn't mean the adaption is.
Jun 18, 2014 5:57 AM

Feb 2013
what a waste of time
Dec 17, 2014 6:04 PM

Jun 2014
"hey ayumu im gonna kill you, if you survived we'll be friends" lmao
Ayumu should have beaten up those blade children bastards, it was so annoying that Ayumu acted as if nothing happened. Even though the whole blade children (except the tomboyish girl) tried to kill him many times.(they also kidnapped Hiyono and Madoka)

Anlaemar said:
Nothing was solved throughout the series as you said.

yup, 25 ep are too long, it was super slow pace and boring.

3/10
Dec 17, 2014 6:08 PM

Jul 2012
^ are you gonna read the manga?
Dec 17, 2014 7:14 PM

Jun 2014
Since the anime failed to answer a lot of questions and i like Ayumu so YES
Dec 17, 2014 7:14 PM

Jul 2012
Mar 25, 2015 7:47 AM

Jun 2013
what the hell is blade children ? only "children-without-a-rib?"
Aug 12, 2015 12:31 AM
Dec 2013
rodolfoemiliano said:
what the hell is blade children ? only "children-without-a-rib?"
And snake like irises.

Anime left way too many unanswered questions. I enjoyed the beginning and middle, but didn't really like the ending arc.

Might read the manga, might. Need to get the proper ending.
Aug 15, 2015 8:32 PM
Dec 2009
Confucius said:
Just how many bombs were there in this series?

HAHA, someone should go back and check! I think there's an average of at least one per episode.

So honestly, I was disappointed by this anime. Reading the forums here I see that reading the manga there is a much more detailed and very interesting story behind the Blade Children. However just watching the anime that story is very poorly presented and although the show makes you curious about a lot of things they only give a few answers out.

I was also bewildered by the "happy ending", because it seems like there's still a lot of things unresolved. I guess they wanted to make the end of the show seem like everything was wrapped up though.

I started watching this show years ago when a friend recommended it to me because I like mystery shows (Detective Conan, Sherlock, etc). I bought the first three DVDs and was very excited to start watching it but was disappointed by the slow pace after the first DVD. I then put the series on hold for literally years... and just came back to finish it. I'm glad I finished it but I guess I should read the manga instead... I wouldn't recommend this anime to anyone, but I think I'll recommend the manga :)
Jul 1, 2016 3:42 PM

Jun 2016
As everyone else said, rhis felt so incomplete! We watched 25 eps and we still don't know anything about the Blade childrein or where Ayumu's brother is or how he can save the Blade children. Even if the second season is not produced, 25 eps are enough to give some answers to the audience.

Still, even though the plot was all over the place, I really did enjoy this show. I felt attached to the characters and cared for them. The problem is, the mind games, bombs, mysteries, the theme of the cursed children.,.Things that seemed interesting began to be repetitive and kinda boring. It was like we hear the same lines in each and every episode. I am fed up with Ayimu's brother's quote "those who believe..." and also the iris metaphor is overdone. Ayumu's inferiorty complex and the constant comparison between him and his brother was a nice theme at the beginning but I think he should have overcome it way before the last episode.

Despite all these, I love the show. I am really glad I watched it. Wish there could be another season or something.

8/10 for Ayumu!
Oct 17, 2016 1:25 AM

Jun 2011
This series was still okay to watch, even though it hasn't had the same hook as it was a murder mystery since episode 2, but the last few episodes have been pretty unbearable. I couldn't stand the unexplained drama that came out of nowhere, everything just fell apart for no reason, emo characters everywhere.

The mystery was also pretty weak, it involved too much "I know what you think" and "I one-upped you one-upping me", and some of them are too farfetched to be deduced with such accuracy.

The only aspect that I've enjoyed all the way through is Hiyono's character, she's always so positive and is always there to support my AyumuxHiyono ship, definitely the best girl. She's also funny with how gluttonous she is, and so random too.

It's unfortunate that we gotta read the manga to even find out what the Blade Children is, this entire season is basically introducing new characters + extra spice of hunters for some thrills.

edit: I also came into this show expecting this to be an episodic murder mystery, so that kinda let me down a little bit.

I forgot to mention that the sub I was watching was really meh too, often mistranslate what the characters actually said, and some of it kind of change the character's personality. It's also out of sync because (I think) it's the sub for the English dub.
ToG25thBaamOct 18, 2016 9:37 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 25, 2019 6:55 PM

Aug 2008
I can't believe when I watched this series a decade or so ago I actually liked it. Now on re-watch I see this show in a whole new light. Dumb mysteries and stupid characters with their stupid "games". The Blade Children and the Hunters spent more time playing mind games with each other and with Ayumu than actually trying to advance their goals. Beyond everyone spinning their wheels and moping around about how cursed the Blade Children are, nothing was ever explained. Who are the Blade Children and why do they have a dark fate? Why must they be killed? No answer? What was the point of animating this crap? Apart from a few rare interesting episodes like in the abandoned hotel the whole thing was dull and pointless. I found Hiyono and her comic relief and loyalty to Ayumu to be the most fun part of the whole show and of course he treats her like dirt most of the time.

So... first the Blade Chldren basically try and kill him but now they are kind of friends and we should feel sorry for them? The relationships are nonsensical. Animation average at best. Honestly this whole show... bah.
Dec 17, 2019 6:10 AM
Nov 2018
gswelcome said:
I can't believe when I watched this series a decade or so ago I actually liked it. Now on re-watch I see this show in a whole new light. Dumb mysteries and stupid characters with their stupid "games". The Blade Children and the Hunters spent more time playing mind games with each other and with Ayumu than actually trying to advance their goals. Beyond everyone spinning their wheels and moping around about how cursed the Blade Children are, nothing was ever explained. Who are the Blade Children and why do they have a dark fate? Why must they be killed? No answer? What was the point of animating this crap? Apart from a few rare interesting episodes like in the abandoned hotel the whole thing was dull and pointless. I found Hiyono and her comic relief and loyalty to Ayumu to be the most fun part of the whole show and of course he treats her like dirt most of the time.

So... first the Blade Chldren basically try and kill him but now they are kind of friends and we should feel sorry for them? The relationships are nonsensical. Animation average at best. Honestly this whole show... bah.

Yeah same thing happened to me,this series used to get aired on a late night Anime TV network (I believe it was Animax) and while watching it on irregular intervals it didn't feel all that terrible.
But if you binge watch it now and actually have reference points formed from other detective series under your belt ,its just a shallow ,style over substance,bishōnen borefest,from a hack author (who also wrote Zetsuen no Tempest which is equally as shitty)
Jun 29, 2020 3:58 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So sad there is no season 2... actually loved this anime for its mind games, mastermind moments and characters.
Too much mysteries are left but I know it's a mystery anime so it makes sense that the anime is totally mysterious xD
And the anime isn't finished, I need to read the manga.
8/10 it was very good.
(btw Ayumu x Hiyono is a great ship)
Mar 9, 2022 8:23 PM

Dec 2015
I was waiting till the end for a proper resolution, but it never came. Most participants backgrounds and motives remained unexplained. Therefore, also their actions in the previous episodes do not make any sense to me looking back.
There were good moments along the way, but the ending left me disappointed. 5 points for the series.
EstefanMar 9, 2022 8:28 PM
Apr 18, 2022 5:43 PM
Sep 2013
I liked the anime, it kept me entertained until the end with the mysteries it tackled, even though it didn't explain anything at the end. It lacked explaining a lot, everything about Blade Childrens, everything about ayumu's brother, things about ayumu himself , Sayoko's memory loss, everything about the hunters and etc... although all the mysteries of the work were missing, the "cases" were all solved, I liked the work, and it even motivated me to look for the end of the story. constructions.
The anime didn't focus on romance but from my point of view, we can see some romances on the screen, Hiyono sure liked Ayumu, it was very noticeable in the way she treated him, almost like she was a girlfriend, now I'm sure Ayumu he likes Madoka (his “sister”), I think this is one of the reasons he thinks he lost to his brother, this is very noticeable at the beginning when he comments that he lost everything to his brother and keeps seeing images of his “sister” .
I can't say if Ayumu evolved after all, I think he evolved just a little bit but I can't say he's 100% confident yet. The work has a slightly different mysticism, we don't know what Blade Children are so we can't know if it's something mystical and you have the confidence in ayumu that you can't know if it's something mystical or simply something logical.
One thing that bothers in the anime, but you can abstract it is the fact that they simply don't kill the targets (children's blades or main) in a simple way instead of making a game of cat and mouse to which they can lose / die and in a certain way The way they do that makes no sense, apart from the games from the beginning of the anime, Eyes, Kousuke and Rio, which were to encourage Ayumu to grow, otherwise the hunters don't make any sense.
The characters in general are very good, specifically Ayumu and Hiyono, I also like Rio but it's more because I like the voice actress.
If anyone wants to tag me and give the manga spoilers about what happens at the end and explain everything that was missing in the series I would be very grateful and probably many people who saw and will see the series and get here too lol.
7/10

PT-BR
Gostei do anime, ele me manteu entretido até o final com os mistérios que ele abordou, mesmo no final não tendo explicado nada.Faltou explicar muita coisa,tudo sobre as Blade Childrens,tudo sobre o irmão do ayumu,as coisas sobre o próprio ayumu,a perda de memória da Sayoko,tudo sobre os caçadores e etc... embora tenha faltado explicar todos os mistério da obra,os “casos” foram todos resolvidos,eu gostei da obra,e até me motivou a buscar sobre o final da obra.
O anime não focou no romance mas no meu ponto de vista, podemos ver alguns romances na tela,a Hiyono com certeza gostava do Ayumu,era muito perceptível no jeito que ela tratava ele, quase como se fosse uma namorada,agora certeza que o Ayumu gosta da Madoka(“irmã” dele),acho que esse é um dos motivos dele achar que perdeu pro irmão dele,isso é muito perceptível no inicio quando ele comenta que perdeu em tudo pro irmão dele e fica vendo imagens da “irmã” dele.
Não sei dizer se o Ayumu depois de tudo evoluiu,acho que evoluiu só um pouco mas não posso dizer que ele está 100% confiante ainda.A obra tem um misticismo um pouco diferente,não sabemos o que são as Blade Childrens então não da pra saber se é algo místico e tem a confiança no ayumu que também não da pra saber se é algo místico ou simplesmente algo logico.
Uma coisa que incomoda no anime, mas dá para abstrair é o fato de simplesmente não matarem os alvos(blades childrens ou principais) de uma forma simples na vez de fazer um jogo de gato e rato ao qual eles podem perder/morrer e de certa forma eles fazerem isso não tem um sentido, tirando os jogos do inicio do anime,o do Eyes, Kousuke e da Rio,que foram pra estimular o Ayumu a crescer de resto os dos caçadores não fazem o menor sentido.
Os personagens em geral são muito bons em especifico o Ayumu e a Hiyono,também gosto da Rio mas é mais porque gosto da dubladora.
Se alguém quiser me marcar e dar os spoilers da manga sobre o que acontece no final e explicar tudo que faltou na serie eu ficaria muito agradecido e provavelmente muitas pessoas que viram e vão ver a serie e chegarem até aqui também rsrs.
7/10
Oct 1, 2022 5:08 AM

Mar 2013
This is what I'd call a hidden gem..
We finally got a conclusion for this series but the story has yet to end... I'm looking forward to reading the source.
I'm actually more fond of the OP than the ED.

Yes, I will miss Hiyono's cute and lovely attitude towards Ayumu. This feels like a romantic ver of DC.

Enjoyable throughout the end. There's not a moment of boredom watching this series. I was expecting more episodes... 乁⁠[⁠ᓀ⁠˵⁠▾⁠˵⁠ᓂ⁠]⁠ㄏ
CrazyButNot4UOct 1, 2022 5:16 AM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Feb 17, 2023 1:58 PM
Feb 2022
When I started watching this show,I really liked everything about it, I felt entertained, the story was exciting, I liked the characters, the pace of the events was on the right track, but I was very disappointed in the ending:(
The show ended without clarifying anything about the blade children and why they're considered "cursed", and who are the haunters and why ayumu's brother disappeared. what's most important is how exactly ayumu is going to be the salvation of the blade children?! None of these things were clarifyed in the show which made me really frustrated '( and the only mentioned fact about the blade children in the show is that they're Missing a rib is kinda stupid --_--
Sep 22, 2023 7:20 PM

Dec 2022
Spiral is decent. The conversations and monologues are meaningful in isolation, but lose relevance in relation to the broader scope of the plot. I also found the various traps to be engaging for a viewer, especially when there were more stakes attached to them. Most of the characters were multidimensional, but Ayumu in particular stands out for his subdued resourcefulness and struggle to break free from this self-imposed prison his disappeared brother's influence has over him. The electronic soundtrack made for enjoyable listening, making the action scenes more tolerable.

What did let it down was hilariously incompetent action sequences, random bouts of extreme childish naivety from otherwise intelligent characters, overuse of the same trap scenarios after a while, the mystery aspect being toned down for questionable drama later on, and middling animation quality.

The good absolutely outweighs the bad though, and the flaws only become overly apparent in the last third of the series. Outside of that, it's a competent mystery anime.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

» The irises

Yuliyshii - Jan 27

1 by BlueMoonTornado »»
Jan 27, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Spiral: Suiri no Kizuna Episode 24 Discussion

maruf92bisj - Jun 18, 2014

4 by Archean-Return »»
Sep 22, 2023 6:39 PM

Poll: » Spiral: Suiri no Kizuna Episode 23 Discussion

3 by Archean-Return »»
Sep 22, 2023 6:14 PM

Poll: » Spiral: Suiri no Kizuna Episode 22 Discussion

3 by Archean-Return »»
Sep 22, 2023 5:16 PM

Poll: » Spiral: Suiri no Kizuna Episode 21 Discussion

maruf92bisj - Jan 2, 2014

3 by Archean-Return »»
Sep 22, 2023 4:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.