Forum Settings
Forums

US Forces Makes Manga For the PR of US-Japan Alliance

New
Aug 4, 2010 1:41 AM

Feb 2008
Headquarters US Forces Japan has made a manga for the promotion of the US - Japan Alliance in commemoration of its 50th anniversary.

In the manga titled "Watashitachi no Domei: Eizokuteki Partnership (Our Alliance; A Lasting Partnership)", an American boy Usa-kun (USA) lives off a Japanese girl Arai Anzu (pun of alliance) and he gets rid of a cockroach from the kitchen. He says "I'll protect you because you are like me."

Our Alliance Manga webpage

The main author is Hirai Yukio ("Magical Marine Pixel Maritan"). The first chapter was posted on August 4th. The rest of the chapters will be available within this year.

Sources: US Force Japan, Maritan Nikki, BBC
Sakana-sanJan 30, 2018 5:15 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 4, 2010 1:47 AM
Sep 2008
Woah, WTF

I'm not sure how I feel about this.
Aug 4, 2010 2:01 AM

Nov 2006
d'aww! this is great!
Aug 4, 2010 2:02 AM

Feb 2010
what?? they're relating anime to armed forces..
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Aug 4, 2010 2:07 AM

Jul 2008
I wonder who the cockroach represents, tera risu - kun?
Aug 4, 2010 2:08 AM
Nov 2008
Cashdaxxx said:
It's not like that's never been done before. /sarcasm
Aug 4, 2010 2:11 AM
Mar 2009
First of all, the 'alliance' was forced on the Japanese because it was really an occupation.

Secondly, the boy 'lives off' the girl (effectively making him a waste of space freeloader) and in return, only squishes a cockroach? Yeah, that about sums up America's contributions to the world, stealing the best of our crap and attacking less powerful nations.

Aug 4, 2010 2:17 AM
Nov 2008
chinlamp said:
Secondly, the boy 'lives off' the girl (effectively making him a waste of space freeloader) and in return, only squishes a cockroach? Yeah, that about sums up America's contributions to the world, stealing the best of our crap and attacking less powerful nations.

It's metaphoric. The cockroach represented a threat to Japan, so the U.S. took care of it rather than leaving Japan's currently weaker military to fend for themselves. Japan provides the U.S. with services such as the export of goods and services to the U.S., and the U.S. uses its strengths to aid Japan as well (military and other government-based affairs).

It wasn't that hard to figure out.
Aug 4, 2010 2:36 AM

Mar 2009
Onibokusu said:
chinlamp said:

It's metaphoric. The cockroach represented a threat to Japan, so the U.S. took care of it rather than leaving Japan's currently weaker military to fend for themselves. Japan provides the U.S. with services such as the export of goods and services to the U.S., and the U.S. uses its strengths to aid Japan as well (military and other government-based affairs).

In other words, US is Japan's pimp daddy
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Aug 4, 2010 2:37 AM

Dec 2009
I suppose the US are desperate for attention as always ...
Aug 4, 2010 2:56 AM

Aug 2009
Nothing shocking or special. Japan does this sort of thing all the time. With the whole using manga to do everything.

Well, Japan aren't ALLOWED to have a strong military. It's only their for Self-Defence. If they get attacked, then they pretty much to rely on other countries. Pretty obvious that this has been published because of recent strains in Okinawa. Don't forget that Japan has to let those US troops stay there in exchange for protection.

All in all, very cute. xD
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Aug 4, 2010 2:57 AM

Mar 2009
Pheefa said:
Nothing shocking or special. Japan do this sort of thing all the time.

kodial said:
Onibokusu said:
chinlamp said:

In other words, US is Japan's pimp daddy

Well, Japan aren't ALLOWED to have a strong military. It's only their for Self-Defence. If they get attacked, then they pretty much to rely on other countries. Pretty obvious that this has been published because of recent strains in Okinawa. Don't forget that Japan has to let those US troops stay their in exchanche for protection.

Which is, in other words USA is Japan's pimp daddy XD
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Aug 4, 2010 3:09 AM

Jan 2010
Wauh...that's just sad for the US army.

to make themselves sound like leeches that does little to nothing.
Aug 4, 2010 3:10 AM
Nov 2008
Pheefa said:
Well, Japan aren't ALLOWED to have a strong military. It's only their for Self-Defence. If they get attacked, then they pretty much to rely on other countries. Pretty obvious that this has been published because of recent strains in Okinawa. Don't forget that Japan has to let those US troops stay there in exchange for protection.

Only around 50,000 men and women from the USA are stationed in Japan, the Japanese and their Self-Defence Force are five times that strength (numbers wise)

JSDF are also now allowed to be deployed outside of Japan.
Aug 4, 2010 3:15 AM
Mar 2008
Oh Usa(gi)-kun
That's why he wears a rabbit outfit.

That's cute.
Aug 4, 2010 3:17 AM

Jun 2009
Manga as a symbol of partnership between the countries? If it makes manga more popular in US, why not...
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Aug 4, 2010 3:21 AM

Mar 2009
OrochiPL said:
Manga as a symbol of partnership between the countries? If it makes manga more popular in US, why not...

It's more like making US forces more popular in Japan.

Can you say Propamanganda?
Aug 4, 2010 3:29 AM

May 2009
Is not expecting much about the manga but I'm looking forward to it :3

-- I'm looking for "The One" and I'll find her more quickly if I audition two at a time. Think you can do better? --
-- The World God Only Knows -- Toaru Majutsu no Index -- Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai --
Aug 4, 2010 3:32 AM

Apr 2008
I'd just like to remind some that the JSDF isn't all that "weak". In fact, it's a more technologically advanced and powerful force than most nations in the world, including most-if-not-all european nations.
Aug 4, 2010 3:47 AM
Jul 2018
kodial said:

Pure Propaganda, nothing else.

US desperately tries to keep their bases in Japan, in case they feel like attacking North Korea one day.
Aug 4, 2010 4:02 AM

Jan 2009
dtshyk said:
an American boy Usa-kun (USA) lives off a Japanese girl Arai Anzu (pun of alliance) and he gets rid of a cockroach from the kitchen. He says "I'll protect you because you are like me."

those punny plot.
oh you american
Aug 4, 2010 4:06 AM

Aug 2008
Doujins where?
The Cart Driver <-- My awesome anime blog
Aug 4, 2010 4:19 AM
Nov 2008
Sohei said:
I'd just like to remind some that the JSDF isn't all that "weak". In fact, it's a more technologically advanced and powerful force than most nations in the world, including most-if-not-all european nations.
No, they don't have Gundams.

They're still significantly less powerful than they were in WWII and absolutely against nuclear weapons development. This makes them weaker than a fair few nations on Earth.
Aug 4, 2010 5:58 AM

Feb 2010
Onibokusu said:
Cashdaxxx said:
Headquarters US Forces Japan has made a manga for the promotion of the US - Japan Alliance

Are you sure?? As the other post said...propaganda...
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Aug 4, 2010 6:31 AM
Oct 2009
I guess the new way to promote to people that there're friendly relations between countries is to make manga. What is this world coming to? XD

But I suppose whatever works, works.
Aug 4, 2010 6:51 AM

Aug 2008
Onibokusu said:
Sohei said:

They're still significantly less powerful than they were in WWII and absolutely against nuclear weapons development. This makes them weaker than a fair few nations on Earth.
There's a reason it's called the Japan Self-Defense Force.
kodial said:
Barely. I'll have to try a few more times.
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Aug 4, 2010 6:52 AM

Aug 2008
I wonder if it would turn out popular :O
but anyway, I'm not interested! :D
Aug 4, 2010 6:55 AM

Nov 2009
Cashdaxxx said:
Onibokusu said:
Cashdaxxx said:
Headquarters US Forces Japan has made a manga for the promotion of the US - Japan Alliance

Are you sure?? As the other post said...propaganda...

I agree

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Aug 4, 2010 7:08 AM

Jul 2008
HoaRy said:
kodial said:

US desperately tries to keep their bases in Japan, in case they feel like attacking North Korea one day.
lol
Aug 4, 2010 7:24 AM

Feb 2010
Defiance said:
HoaRy said:
kodial said:

lol

old news is never new

Aug 4, 2010 7:27 AM

Oct 2009
Wow. The discussions on this thread is stupid.
Aug 4, 2010 7:35 AM

Jan 2009
why does this remind me of hetalia?
Aug 4, 2010 7:37 AM

Jan 2009
Onibokusu said:
Sohei said:

its good to know some people understand history. thank you onibokusu.
Aug 4, 2010 7:51 AM
Mar 2010
TurnipKing said:
poisonapplecake said:
Onibokusu said:
Sohei said:

Wrong! Japan has 1000's of Gundam, they're just all stationed at Space Fortress Shinzoku. Yeah.
Aug 4, 2010 8:08 AM

Apr 2010
The Japanese would have a powerful military if they were actually allowed to make one. Because of conditions after WW II they can't leave their country with a military force. Same thing with Germany. Can only use a national guard type of force to defend themselves with, and they'll have US help.

Aug 4, 2010 8:17 AM

Mar 2009
jobeez said:
TurnipKing said:
poisonapplecake said:
Onibokusu said:
Sohei said:

Wrong! Japan has 1000's of Gundam, they're just all stationed at Space Fortress Shinzoku. Yeah.

Don't forget about space battleship Yamato
Aug 4, 2010 8:28 AM

Oct 2007
HoaRy said:
kodial said:

No one likes North Korea cept North Korea
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 4, 2010 8:29 AM

Mar 2009
Metroid_Ex said:
HoaRy said:
kodial said:

No one likes North Korea cept North Korea

Ready for war then? It's gonna be fun blasting those damned gooks XD
Aug 4, 2010 8:51 AM

Nov 2009
Onibokusu said:

Awww...... WHY NOT? LMAOLMAOLMAO.
Aug 4, 2010 9:27 AM

Jan 2010
Anxiously awaiting doujins
Ok™
Aug 4, 2010 10:36 AM

Feb 2008
HoaRy said:
kodial said:

feel like? sure.....like china will just sit back and let that happen. the international community can barely even force NK to admit to its sinking of that ship, let alone let go of its ambitions towards nuclear power etc...

there has been numerous times where NK has done attachable offenses but everyone is always reluctant to do so. they would have to bomb a city before that happens. i would hope even NK is not that stupid.
Aug 4, 2010 10:51 AM

Nov 2008
i don't think i like it
Aug 4, 2010 12:18 PM

Apr 2010
kodial said:
OrochiPL said:

It's more like making US forces more popular in Japan.

lol Propamanganda... and i realy doubt this whill have anything to do with the American industry considering the specific audience is the Japanese...

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Aug 4, 2010 2:43 PM
Nov 2008
JadeMatrix said:
There's a reason it's called the Japan Self-Defense Force.

It's only a "Defence Force" due to Article 9 of the Japanese Constitution.
Aug 4, 2010 3:26 PM

Feb 2010
Onibokusu said:

They were deployed even when they weren't (technically) allowed to. Mind you, I'm not saying it was wrong, since those overseas deployments were either to fight off piracy against Japanese vessels, or for humanitarian reasons.

Sohei said:

This is also true. However, the fact that they can't be used for offensive purposes limits their effectiveness; hence the US-Japan Alliance.

alwaysbored said:

Yeah, like they don't have enough of that already... The US is the clingy girlfriend that is always bothering you for attention. Attention Whores! :P

Edit: About Japan not having Gundams - look they don't need to. They have Tsunderes, Cat-Girls, Fantastic Air-Heads, Crazy Moe Chicks and more. Plus if things get nasty they can always send in Lucy from "Elfen Lied".
JonijonhAug 4, 2010 3:35 PM
Aug 4, 2010 4:05 PM

Apr 2009
Jonijonh said:
Onibokusu said:

They were deployed even when they weren't (technically) allowed to. Mind you, I'm not saying it was wrong, since those overseas deployments were either to fight off piracy against Japanese vessels, or for humanitarian reasons.

Sohei said:

This is also true. However, the fact that they can't be used for offensive purposes limits their effectiveness; hence the US-Japan Alliance.

alwaysbored said:

Yeah, like they don't have enough of that already... The US is the clingy girlfriend that is always bothering you for attention. Attention Whores! :P

Edit: About Japan not having Gundams - look they don't need to. They have Tsunderes, Cat-Girls, Fantastic Air-Heads, Crazy Moe Chicks and more. Plus if things get nasty they can always send in Lucy from "Elfen Lied".
japan has goku nuff said
"Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.
Alien vs Predator 2 is the movie version of that book"
Aug 4, 2010 4:53 PM

Mar 2009
Welp.

It looks cute? <:D
Aug 4, 2010 9:31 PM

Dec 2006
i find the choice of mangaka interesting. some of you may recall these pages:

americanophile kakunin.

also - there is nothing better than watching people declare something they find objectionable "propaganda." as if a picture could be taken from no perspective. as if rhetoric did not permeate every second of the life experience. as if the words you are reading right now were not touching you in a place or in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable.
Aug 4, 2010 10:17 PM

Aug 2008
What is up with the anti-American rage here? I honestly feel you people who make pointless and ignorant comments actually research some stuff before making ridiculous claims. First off, the US-Japan alliance is very important to every Japanese, except for those poor Okinawans. All major Japanese politicians, regardless of whether they be liberal or conservative, acknowledge this fact. Second of all, Article 9 of the Japanese constitution says Japan renounces using military force completely, meaning they can't even use their Self Defense force even if they are invaded (why they have it then, is beyond me... maybe just for show?); this means the Japanese have no choice but to rely on the US-Japan alliance (and before anyone says the Japanese are forced to do this, then I would point out the Japanese can change their constitution. The fact that Article 9 was not changed proofs that most Japanese do uphold it). Thirdly, apparently the anti-American people do not know the threat from North Korea. They have been abducting Japanese nationals since the 70's (I think, or maybe it was the 80's), and have attempted to fire missiles at Japan numerous times in the recent years. Just because most of the people in the Western world hates America doesn't mean everyone else does, you know...

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Aug 5, 2010 12:30 AM
Nov 2008
Those pages...were epic.

"Shove it up your ass! You slimy French slot!!" "I like you. Come around to my house and fuck my sister."

I also like how there was a point to explain the work "fuck".
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Today

21 by VanishingKira »»
9 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

95 by RobertBobert »»
11 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.