Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 16, 2014 4:00 AM

Aug 2013
That was a really nice ending to a good show. I was just randomly clicking recommendations and I found this. What a great find :D
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 16, 2014 12:52 AM

Apr 2012
wow why is this series even lower than a 8???

This is what I call a hidden gem.

I was also caught off guard by the 40 minute episode XD

9/10

Jun 11, 2014 4:07 AM

Jan 2013
Wonderful ending. The development of the relationship between the main characters was so nicely portrayed.
8/10
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jul 10, 2014 4:57 AM

Jun 2014
Great show. The world building is top notch, the dialogue and interplay with characters is great as well. About the only thing that I didn't like were the character designs which were a bit off to be honest. But other than that, bravo!
Nov 2, 2014 8:57 AM

Oct 2014
I am dissapointed with the last episode. the fights were so unrealistic :/
other than that a very good series...looking forward to next season
Jan 7, 2015 1:14 AM

Jul 2013
Such a shame that this series was probably made only promote the books. I definitely would have wanted to see more but at least the mini series didn't have disappointing conclusion even though many things are left open.
Jan 16, 2016 8:49 AM

Jun 2009
40 minute final episode!? unexpected! this was quite enjoyable. lafiel, and jinto even, but especially lafiel, are great characters.
Feb 16, 2016 6:43 PM

Nov 2011
Gaaaah why did this have to be so short. I'm glad the final episode was double length though. We got a lot more out of it that way: Jinto & Lafiel's escape; Lafiel crying at her mother's grave; the promise to meet again in the future; what happened with those they met along the way; and finally their meeting after the three years...

I'm glad Jinto will still be calling her Lafiel.

Excellent characters, dialogue, and setting. If there had been more content I would unhesitatingly be giving this a 9/10, but eeeeh. I dunno. This was a really great series whatever I decide on. I look forward to the sequels.

It's a pity the still-publishing novels don't publish more regularly or have consistent fan translations. I'd like to follow this story all the way to the end.
Sep 20, 2016 5:33 PM

Mar 2016
Well shit, had a lot of promise but ended up being pretty stupid. Really went downhill after the Gosroth was destroyed because it revealed how uninteresting and unsympathetic these characters are when put in contrived situations. I just stopped caring about whether they 'won' or not, and that isn't for any political reason either. Even got pretty close to rooting against them during the silly action scenes with the military. If nothing else, the interactions between the Rear Admiral and her Executive Officer were entertaining, maybe even kinda hot.

All that being said, that 1-score review with the second most helpful votes is equally stupid. It's hard to believe a show this ineffective in its "propaganda" could make someone so angry. It shouldn't take much to get me to root for the guys that can provide the most pragmatic governance yet here I am not really finding the Abh all that interesting. I see one of the reviewers has described it as "Spice and Wolf in space," I guess it makes sense that I didn't like this.

Gonna give the sequel a chance though (maybe). Also, liked the ED.
syncrogazerSep 20, 2016 5:52 PM
Jan 28, 2017 10:49 PM

Sep 2013
I enjoyed the first half, but the last arc was a pretty big downgrade from the first two arcs. The romantic subplot being forced along even more so at the end bugged me too. The world building was fairly good, so it's especially disappointing this didn't end on a strong note.
Might give the sequels a go at a later date, especially if they build upon the strengths of the first two arcs, but I don't feel any need to watch them right after finishing the first season.

I'm confused about one thing. Since Jinto's father was executed, does that mean he lost his nobility? If he did, why was he allowed to stay in the Empire? Because he and Lafiel are on good terms and because he's separated enough from his own father to be viewed as his own person? Maybe that gets explained later on, but I thought it was weird of them to mention his father's death, and then hardly say anything else.
Jul 31, 2017 7:25 AM
Nov 2009
robotical said:
I'm confused about one thing. Since Jinto's father was executed, does that mean he lost his nobility? If he did, why was he allowed to stay in the Empire? Because he and Lafiel are on good terms and because he's separated enough from his own father to be viewed as his own person? Maybe that gets explained later on, but I thought it was weird of them to mention his father's death, and then hardly say anything else.

Yep, didn't understand this either.
Oct 23, 2017 5:30 PM

Feb 2013
Double episode.

That whole amusement park thing was a bit silly with the rocket launchers and all.

Land on planet... run around... blast off back to space...
Get picked up by crazy lady... credits... 3 years later, happy ending.

5/10 (average) It wasn't particularly great or terrible. I think I would be pretty disappointed if I didn't already know there are other seasons to follow.
Dec 22, 2017 6:49 PM

Jul 2016
A very quick 40 minutes! I loved it! Nobody else got choked up with the Jinto and Lafiel's second to last interaction with the cat? I really enjoyed the montage of them meeting and thought the writers did a great job fleshing out their relationship. The music was also fantastic.

Really looking forward to the sequels.
Nov 7, 2018 1:51 PM

Apr 2015
After lackluster progress made by Jinto and Lafiel in the previous episode finale felt like a breath of fresh air. And it is double length too.

Robot mascots in the amusement park remind me of Cowboy Bebop. But here while creepy they are much more hilarious, even campy. The horse was real MVP.

P.S. Spoor is great as always.
Nov 8, 2018 12:16 AM

Jul 2009
Not the climactic ending I was expecting, but thankfully the whole journey was at least memorable. Lafiel was the main highlight of the series, and I'd go as far to say that she's one of the best female anime protagonists I've seen yet. Badass and beautiful in one package.
Apr 30, 2019 1:30 AM
Jan 2015
Lucumo said:
robotical said:

Yep, didn't understand this either.

Jinto's father was on Hyde when it was re-captured by the United Mankind fleet, and he was summarily executed by the United Mankind as a traitor.

That in no way removes Jinto's hereditary rights to assume the title of Count once his father dies.

Skittles said:
Not the climactic ending I was expecting, but thankfully the whole journey was at least memorable.

Well, Crest of the Stars is really an overture for the real story/saga, which is the Banners series, chronicling Lafiel/Lafier/Lamhirh's (too many damn ways to translate that name...) rise to the throne as the next Empress.

The end of Crest is really just the beginning ;).
Jun 12, 2019 5:51 PM

Apr 2007
It took 13 episodes, but they finally reached their destination. It was a fun journey. The main two are boring, but have great chemistry. Since we skipped his 3 years of schooling I'm hopeful the next 2 seasons will be more interesting.
Jun 27, 2019 3:07 PM
Jul 2018
The first two episode were okay and then rest were too dull to make me care with so many weak moments and uninteresting main duo. Space battles were disappointing considering produced by high profile studio and even LOTGH put shame to this.
Dec 7, 2020 3:50 PM

Jul 2009
I liked this series a good bit, more than I thought I was going to. It has a classic, old-school feel to it. Decent animation and OST for something from 1999. I like Lafiel and Jinto is alright too. Most characters were interesting, even if some side ones lacked depth.

But man...the action scenes were terrible, ESPECIALLY in this last episode. The army and police miss all of their shots, but of course this 16 year old can take down dozens all by herself and almost never misses.

Yes, she's a royal Abh, a gentically modified genius alien. But if the Abh were capable of that by themselves, it begs the question why anyone would bother declaring war on them. And besides, that doesn't excuse the army firing their machine guns endlessly at a couple of kids and missing endlessly.

Scoring this is difficult. It was going to be an 8/10 coming into this episode, but this ending really let me down. I'll decide later, either a 7/10 or an 8/10.

Overall, I did enjoy this series. Underrated. We'll see what the sequels hold.
BStrifeSword114Dec 8, 2020 12:18 PM
Dec 8, 2020 12:14 AM

May 2011
duhu1148 said:

But man...the action scenes were terrible, ESPECIALLY in this last episode. The army and police miss all of their shots, but of course this 16 year old can take down dozens all by herself and almost never misses.

Yes, she's a royal Abh, a gentically modified genius alien. But if the Abh were capable of that by themselves, it begs the question why anyone would bother declaring war on them. And besides, that doesn't excuse the army firing their machine guns endlessly at a couple of kids and missing endlessly.

Indeed, with proper training any Abh is able to shoot like an aimbot. You would too if you had an astronavigation computer and a sonar built in your head in addition to fresh combat training course. The thing is - IIRC there are about 2 or 3 millions (maybe 20-30, my memory is hazy, but even this order of numbers is low enough) of genetic Abh. At the same time there are 900 billions of regulars on each side. Average abh ship has like 5-10 genetic Abh in total while being crewed by 100 people or so. Add in there that wars are not won by shooting blasters, they are won by taking control over space, especially in case of Abh with their policy of not touching the planets. This is why Abh shooting would not help them a lot despite them being rather effective at killing.

OTOH the soldiers were ordered to take the Abh alive, so they'd be shooting not to hit, but to force them to lay low or corner them.
Dec 8, 2020 12:22 PM

Jul 2009
Rastrelly said:

OTOH the soldiers were ordered to take the Abh alive, so they'd be shooting not to hit, but to force them to lay low or corner them.
No police or military employs this tactic for a reason. It's extremely dangerous, and there is a high possibility of an errant bullet hitting someone (such as the target).

Also, I find it hard to believe that high tech non-lethal weapons don't exist in this sci-fi universe. They exist in ours, and that's what the military/police would be using if they were trying to take a target back alive.

Actually, we saw earlier in the series that they do exist in some form- When Jinto was knocked out with that metal rod thing by the maid.
Dec 8, 2020 1:23 PM

May 2011
duhu1148 said:
Rastrelly said:

No police or military employs this tactic for a reason. It's extremely dangerous, and there is a high possibility of an errant bullet hitting someone (such as the target).

Also, I find it hard to believe that high tech non-lethal weapons don't exist in this sci-fi universe. They exist in ours, and that's what the military/police would be using if they were trying to take a target back alive.

Actually, we saw earlier in the series that they do exist in some form- When Jinto was knocked out with that metal rod thing by the maid.

In the novels police were employing paralyzer pistols almost exclusively. On the other hand, the military aren't usually trained to capture live game. Actual military involvement happened due to Kyte's attempts to redirect attention of military higher-ups towards the Kalsbul Liberation Front, and they were there to subdue those vicious terrorists hoarding weaponry. Add in that at that point tensions between the UM military and Klasbul population were at the breaking point, so soldiers were as triggerhappy as ever. Just note several facts on what was happening:
1) Squad commander was taken out, and chain of command probably needed some time to be restored, because...
2) All communications were shut by that point via nanite swarm
3) Actual firing distance in all shootouts was usually around 100 - 500 meters, which are not the best distance to fire at moving targets at night without special equipment
4) While UM army is professional, this is the first significant combat engagement of theirs in at least a century; the soldiers are more full of political eagerness than of actual combat readiness. This is additionally confirmed by lots of soldiers ending up robbed or beaten in the final hours of Clasbul occupation
All in all, while what happened in the final chase was indeed an event that could happen only thanks to significant amounts of luck, it is not implausible in the slightest. Combination of inability to communicate, damage of command chain, improper training, internal struggles and hostility between factions and structures in action are more than enough to justify the chain of events.
Oct 25, 2022 10:25 AM

May 2021
I wonder how this show is considered a masterpiece by certain group of people, I thought it was average at best, animation was mediocre, the starting two episodes were weirdly fast paced but after that the shit get decent enough to be average, I didnt find the show bad but neither something special, the main couple had some charm tbh but I higly dislike romance, so that doesnt make the job for me.

Also worth to mention what some people might call underlying facist propaganda in this anime, while is true that they depict Abh Empire in a better light than the Human Alliance, I thought the disparity was so obvious that it felt like clear fake propaganda, I think the narrator is an unreliable one and they dont hide it, I laughed asf in that story of the traveler that needed help, anyways if they are trying to portrait eugenics, monarchy, facism, imperialism and racism as a good choice, I wouldnt care that much neither, my own beliefs are strong enough to overcome any kind of propaganda, 5/10.
Nov 5, 2022 8:10 AM

May 2011
Xenophon01 said:
if they are trying to portrait eugenics, monarchy, facism, imperialism and racism as a good choice, I wouldnt care that much neither, my own beliefs are strong enough to overcome any kind of propaganda, 5/10.

Let's look at definitions.

Eugenics is a fringe set of beliefs and practices that aim to improve the genetic quality of a human population.

Officially banned in the Empire. There's a large monologue on that from the Empress herself in the novels. Not that some Abh and non-Abh still didn't try anyway.

Fascism is a far-right, authoritarian, ultranationalist political ideology and movement, characterized by a dictatorial leader, centralized autocracy, militarism, forcible suppression of opposition, belief in a natural social hierarchy, subordination of individual interests for the perceived good of the nation and race, and strong regimentation of society and the economy.

The Empire is a monarchy. It is highly decentralised. Opposition is not suppressed. There is no "natural social hierarchy", there's a wide system of "social lifts". The Empire is an empire, of course it's imperialistic. The only social groups that have direct limitations placed upon them are active military and nobles.

Racism is the belief that groups of humans possess different behavioral traits corresponding to inherited attributes and can be divided based on the superiority of one race over another.

The Empire does not segregate the Abh as a race and regular humans and provides them equal rights within imperial society.

while is true that they depict Abh Empire in a better light than the Human Alliance, I thought the disparity was so obvious that it felt like clear fake propaganda

I saw zero evidence of "unreliable narrator" present in the story, though it is clearly shown as a personal perspective of several characters. Sometimes reading between the lines is useful. For example, racist ideology towards the Abh is official in at the least the United Mankind.

As for
I wonder how this show is considered a masterpiece by certain group of people

There is no "certain group of people" which considers CotS a masterpiece. Some people are politically motivated in their reception. Some, like you, have somehow decided that CotS is an imperialist manifesto and some, being far-right, love the series for that same perceived reason. Some people like the "romance" part of the series. Some flock to Abh society depicted as some kind of gay utopia.

What it actually is - is one of he most detailed and well-constructed settings in the entirety of sci-fi.
RastrellyNov 16, 2022 6:36 AM
Nov 15, 2022 6:37 AM

Oct 2018
the army shoots like stormtroopers
~Spiritual Healing~

Dec 15, 2022 10:43 AM

May 2011
robotical said:

Funny, my browser has decided to randomly throw this thread link to me out of browser cache, and I've kinda went a bit back and stumbled upon this comment. And I've understood some ways in which Seikai causes so much confusion among the viewers, and I really don't understand how one could miss things *this* obvious. So, sorry for sort of necroing, but I'll explain this point just as an example, more so as a logical chain rather than explanation in of itself.

The Empress Ramaj informs Jinto that his father was executed. There are two questions to be asked: 1) Who executed his father? 2) Why was he executed?

We find out that the planet Martine was conquered by the invading force of the Four (Three) Nations Alliance, and is now under control of the government lead by THE person who felt most betrayed by Rock Linns ascension to the rank of Imperial Count.

We also find out that the Empress herself informs his son (Jinto) about this annexation, the fact of Rock Linn's execution, and the fact of Teal Clint being the new head of government on Martine.

So, did
1) The Empire (1) execute Rock Linn for some reason (2) (not being able to hold the system or something? I literally cannot find the reason for the Empire to need to execute Rock)
2) The new Martinese government lead by the person who hates Rock the most (1) executes him as a traitor to Martinese people which he technically is (2)?

The second question is - why would Jinto maintain his title. By the Imperial law he is Jarluk Dreu, i.e., the heir to a Count. When the Count dies, what happens in a feudal system? Count's heir inherits his title. Historically this would often happen *even if said Count would be just executed by the same government*. And I hope I've just shown that this is not the case for Rock Linn.

So in reality, Jinto was infromed by the Empress that his homeworld was captured and that those in power there now have just killed his father, and the title is now his.

Again, sorry for this sorta necro, but not only has this question not answered, but it is very telling it was even asked.
Aug 12, 2023 3:54 PM

Dec 2022
The episode being double the length was a nice surprise. Rest in Peace, white horse robot.

I have no issues calling this anime a bonafide masterpiece, especially when I keep in mind that this is only the first installment of the series. If the sequels are remotely near the quality of Crest of the Stars, then I'd be delighted.
Archean-ReturnAug 12, 2023 4:04 PM

Shaded Horizon

Mar 11, 7:57 PM
Jan 2017
Crest of Stars premiered in 1999. And for many years I saw it "spoken of" as a classic. Since I have become a bit...jaded with many new anime, I just finished watching it. I fully agree. This is a great anime.
All the characters; main, supporting and villains were alive for me. Heck, even the robot mascots at the amusement park had identities. The premises set at the beginning were never ignored or surprise twisted. Very glad that there will be more tales of Lafiel and Jinto to enjoy.

More topics from this board

» Pointless and unnecessary discussion on ultranegative reviews

Rastrelly - Dec 15, 2022

14 by Rastrelly »»
Apr 1, 6:56 AM

» Political Confusion

Xaeveax - Jun 18, 2021

4 by 0063873192871 »»
Mar 25, 2:38 PM

Poll: » Seikai no Monshou Episode 6 Discussion

Veethorn - Jun 8, 2010

17 by Dreadogastus_F »»
Feb 22, 9:01 PM

Poll: » Seikai no Monshou Episode 5 Discussion

wakka9ca - Mar 18, 2010

30 by Dreadogastus_F »»
Dec 8, 2023 4:58 PM

Poll: » Seikai no Monshou Episode 12 Discussion

gohdan - Oct 12, 2010

9 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 12, 2023 3:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.