Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Aug 4, 2010 1:28 AM

Jun 2008
kodial said:
Bunch of pussies, like you're 13 year olds or something. Oh wait...

So lets see...We have someone trying to feel good about himself by seeking attention at insulting others and trying to feel superior because he supposedly wasn't scared of something. "Hey mom look at me am not scared of anything".
Also attempting the same thing by insulting others of immaturity and trying to give an image of himself of being a grown-up because he thinks that will make him special and cool in someway.

Yeah, and we are the 13 year olds? Suuuuure.................

What, where you disappointed no one gave attention to your first time playing the brave unfearful one and you had to repost it?

nicoliolipoli said:
Tricia said:
Not yet THAT scary.. compared to Higurashi imho..

Rofl, I think it's obvious that Shiki will not be as scary as Higurashi. But still, this was a pretty creepy episode.

I disagree. Shiki seems to play more with psychological fear while Higurashi was playing mostly with more direct horror fear.
Usually i find the fear of what is coming more scary than just watching something actually happening. I believe if Shiki continues with scenes like this it can become a lot more scary than Higurashi ever was. Higurashi never really made me feel fear but more like feel disgusted by empathizing and wanting to turn my head away. For example the nail removal scene was just making you hold your hands to feel better that your nails are there.
Shiki on the on other hand is the kind of anime that tries to make you feel uneasy by pocking our inner fear. Give you the kind of feeling of making you check under your bed and close the window before you go to sleep because after watching it you feel like there is something like Megumi watching you.

Of course all movies, anime(they still need a lot of steps to creep us out like movies can) that try make the viewers feel fear and be scared, work better if you see them in ideal conditions, like alone at night. I noticed for example that even if you watch the most scary film ever, you won't be scared much if you see it with friends at daylight with cars passing by the road outside of your house and commenting about it.
So it depends on what conditions did you watch each. Especially something like Shiki that's more thriller than horror and tries to psychologically play with you, it needs those perfect conditions to work.
MonadAug 4, 2010 8:02 AM
Aug 4, 2010 5:47 AM

Mar 2010
OrochiPL said:
But he asked if he can bring a friend dammit. And how the fuck is Tatsumi's hair green? щ(゚Д゚щ)

you say this while Yuuki's hair is purple and Megumi's is pink xD ntm all the others..

anyways back on topic, when he first started having night mares of her I was getting goosebumps then when she actually shows up I yelled out "AHH" for a brief second xD..this show is certainly doing its job for being a horror and the end of episode 4 is a real cliffhanger for me :3...

Aug 4, 2010 6:00 AM

Nov 2007
Monad said:
Shiki seems to play more with psychological fear while Higurashi was playing mostly with more direct horror fear.

This is in fact the truth. While Higurashi went along the explicit path, Shiki is playing with your inner fears. Megumi in this episode was the perfect proof of that. It was like "the monster under the bed" most kids are scared of. And this episode dealt greatly with giving the watchers some goose bumps. Someone crawling up under a bed in the most creepiest way ever is by far scarier than seeing someone stabbing his head with a knife, imo.
Amazing episode.
Aug 4, 2010 6:04 AM
Jun 2008
Anyway,Shiki is not really scary(up until now) but I am rather disgusted by the unique art and the funny hair style.Hmm, the funny hair style do look scary at times.
Anyway,The creepy music keep on flowing randomly has made me almost numb to any scary event.
Aug 4, 2010 7:46 AM

Jul 2009
Linalee-Stratos said:
Queen_Stars said:
I'm still getting the Claudia (Interview with a vamnpire) and Riki (from Higurashi') vibe from the little girl; wise and older than she seems.
Claudia was wayyyy creepier from the very beginning, she gave me nightmares.

Queen_Stars said:
I could have easily missed part of the preview, yet from what I saw, only the cat-ear-green-hair guy was invited to come by some time.
The vampire couple was invited too----> you were definitely sleeping while watching the show.

Edit: haha...didn't notice I quoted you twice :D

Claudia is exceptionally creepy, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.;)

I probably did zone out whilst watching last time, I always miss crutial information within a two minute drifting off time frame, my attention span dipps (though I love this series).

Aug 4, 2010 7:48 AM

Nov 2007
its vampire theme and i'm disappointed
i thought it would be other type of horror
Aug 4, 2010 7:55 AM

Jul 2009
OrochiPL said:
Queen_Stars said:
I could have easily missed part of the preview, yet from what I saw, only the cat-ear-green-hair guy was invited to come by some time.
But he asked if he can bring a friend dammit. And how the fuck is Tatsumi's hair green? щ(゚Д゚щ)

What's with the aggression?
Is there any need for your comments?
I stated I could easily have missed something lastime.
My eyes tell me that the cat-ear hair vamipre has green hair, what do your eyes tell you? Turquoise?

Aug 4, 2010 7:56 AM

Mar 2010
THAT WAS CREEPIER THAN WHAT I COULD IMAGINE :I
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 4, 2010 9:00 AM

Jun 2009
Queen_Stars said:
My eyes tell me that the cat-ear hair vamipre has green hair, what do your eyes tell you? Turquoise?
My eyes tell me it's blue, but w/e.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Aug 4, 2010 9:05 AM

Mar 2009
Monad said:
kodial said:

So lets see...We have someone trying to feel good about himself by seeking attention at insulting others and trying to feel superior because he supposedly wasn't scared of something. "Hey mom look at me am not scared of anything".
Also attempting the same thing by insulting others of immaturity and trying to give an image of himself of being a grown-up because he thinks that will make him special and cool in someway.

Ok, sorry, it seems like I was a bit too rude before. So let me repeat myself in a more polite manner.

That episode did not invoke any emotion akin to fear or horror, my fellow juvenile homosexuals.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Aug 4, 2010 10:27 AM

Aug 2007
Hey, look at the black screen after the ED ends, there's a face there. I swear, I can see an eye on the left side. Take a look!

Also, the doctor mentioned "sleepwalking" before they died. My theory is that these vampires can only seen to those who are infected. Natsuno is infected but haven't been bitten yet.
CheezyAug 4, 2010 10:31 AM
Aug 4, 2010 12:31 PM

Feb 2010
Charliehsv said:
This episode creeped me out big time, especially the last 2 minutes or so. The most disturbing scene of all has to be when Megumi crawls out from under the bed...or when she and Tatsumi are outside of the house. >_>

I agree o_o|||
Aug 4, 2010 1:43 PM

Jul 2009
kodial said:
Monad said:
kodial said:

Ok, sorry, it seems like I was a bit too rude before. So let me repeat myself in a more polite manner.

That episode did not invoke any emotion akin to fear or horror, my fellow juvenile homosexuals.

As good as that reply was, and as much as I like your taste in anime and manga, it did have an element of horror to it. Some people cringe at the idea of the undead, the doll-like visage because of the art style and the odd use of color and sound. Thats what did it for me anyway, the Eclipse in Berserk horrified me more.
Aug 4, 2010 5:58 PM

Jul 2009
Oh snap. Things got intense O_O Really good episode IMO
Everyone's cracking down on the cause of death, that girl and what she says about death ... so creepy but also so true ... oh god and that LAST BIT. I totally thought it was Megumi then it wasn't ... then SHE'S JUST THERE. I thought the bit with them standing outside was just part of his "dream". I thought HE was the infected one. I really don't want his friend to die though ... aweh ... D:
Seriously, vampires though? I'll keep watching this but ... hope there's more to it
Aug 4, 2010 8:24 PM

Jul 2009
This horror kinda reminds me of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0ovuA--VEw&feature=sub
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Aug 5, 2010 3:38 AM

Jun 2009
I don't quite get the title: 4th Death (or death of the 4th main character?)

Natsuno's double dream -creepy

Sunako's chronic disease (I think that's photophobia)

The last incident scene, were Natsuno detect or has this feeling that someone is coming? or wtf Shimizu crawling from her back under the bed (Do they have the ability to freeze time?)
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Aug 5, 2010 6:06 AM

Jun 2009
zinvince said:
Sunako's chronic disease (I think that's photophobia)
No,
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Aug 5, 2010 6:44 AM

Aug 2007
Uwah, this was one impressive episode. I liked Sunako, but also the part where Shimizu was getting in the same room as Natsuno's was very nicely executed. I was like 'Fjew, safe,' and there she was again. Ack. I hope this continues to be as awesome as this episode was. Also, Waka-sensei talking from his sofa to his co-workers made me lol a bit, this isn't something you see often. Shiki went House M.D.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Aug 5, 2010 8:30 AM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
I actually jumped...wow!? This show is creeping me out.
Aug 5, 2010 5:21 PM

Sep 2009
wheresthehandle said:
I just wasted 2:48 minutes of my life to trash....I dare someone to watch the entire video without forwarding it.
Aug 5, 2010 9:56 PM
Jun 2008
Linalee-Stratos said:
wheresthehandle said:
I just wasted 2:48 minutes of my life to trash....I dare someone to watch the entire video without forwarding it.
Amazing how it roll ^^ .I can't stop laughing that box.I wonder is there a scientific explanation for this LOL
Aug 5, 2010 10:22 PM

Mar 2009
A genuinely creepy ending and a nice cliffhanger to boot. So far, I like this new and improved Megumi.

This episode could've done without the doctor conference, however. Or at least they could've shortened it. The medical terminology is annoying, and the solution to their problem is really quite simple: vampires. Duh! This is not rocket science, people.
Aug 6, 2010 12:45 AM

Jan 2010
Loved the episode.
I love how the tension just keeps on building.

I love this, it's like watching a mystery unravel.
It's definitely not my favorite series this season but it's an interesting watch.
Aug 6, 2010 6:09 AM

Jul 2009
Mormegil said:
A genuinely creepy ending and a nice cliffhanger to boot. So far, I like this new and improved Megumi.

This episode could've done without the doctor conference, however. Or at least they could've shortened it. The medical terminology is annoying, and the solution to their problem is really quite simple: vampires. Duh! This is not rocket science, people.

Of course, but you'd look like a loony to say the only logical explanation is vampires to your colleagues.

Pretend they don't know what a vampire is in the world. Or Twilight was the only vampire flick released.
Aug 6, 2010 7:55 AM

Aug 2007
Ahh, I was looking forward to that scene with Megumi! I'm glad they washed some of the colors out, because it was sooo creepy in the manga. Probably a bit creepier, actually, but still good. I like this adaption.
Aug 6, 2010 11:46 PM

Mar 2010
Wow, this is really getting better and better. Shiki is pure win. Also, I feel Sorry for Tohru, i don't think he'll live through this.
Also, Megumi looked gorgeous in her vampire form.
Aug 7, 2010 7:23 AM

Jan 2010
I liked how that kid gobbled up the watermelon at the beginning.

Anyways, good episode. The little creepy girl is an interesting one... I always want to grab her hair and push it down though.

So many people are dying and... uh, becoming vampires or something, it seems. I almost wonder if everyone's going to die here.

Ishikatsu said:

Also, Megumi looked gorgeous in her vampire form.

Yes, she's got such lovely eyes now. =P
Aug 7, 2010 2:33 PM
Feb 2010
....darn it......Tohru....nooooo. T_T

Megumi was uber creepy in this episode. o.o
Why couldn't Natsuno move? Was he just scared or did they like paralyze him or something or what? :O
Aug 8, 2010 8:48 AM

Mar 2008
zimno said:

I love this pic lol!!

Ah knew it was a bite. Arghhh nooooo I like Tohru! :( :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 9, 2010 2:24 AM

Jan 2008
OMFG, the ending was creepy as hell.

Man, I don't watch scary movies because I'm a wuss so damn.

Also.. bad idea to watch this anime at 5AM in a mostly dark room.
Aug 9, 2010 11:51 PM

Jan 2010
YEEEAHH ! Megumi's back :D ! Even though she's a vampire she is still my fav. character.
Aug 10, 2010 4:10 AM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
I laughed so hard so when he got attacked at the end LOL!!. He really deserved it
Aug 10, 2010 10:23 PM

Oct 2008
Holy crap, Megumi's alive. .___.

vampire?
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Aug 11, 2010 5:15 AM

Apr 2009
Holy crap, I can't tell whether this was reality or just Natsuno freaking out, but I have a bad feeling that it's the former x__X Nuuu, Tohru...
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Aug 11, 2010 8:31 AM
Jul 2008
Glad she is back!
Aug 11, 2010 10:17 PM

Aug 2009
Holy shit, first episode that seriously gave me the chills.
Aug 12, 2010 6:35 AM

Feb 2009
Yuuuuki-kun~

Loved the soundtrack throughout this episode, reminds me of Jigoku Shoujo. More Megumi please.
Aug 19, 2010 4:57 AM

Feb 2010
I'm kinda disappointed by all those 'medical stuff = boring'-opinions.
If you follow the doc's theories, things really get interesting.
But that's maybe just not what most people want... like deep, adult plots without much action..

Anyway, great episode, and yes, I somehow are a sucker for Megumi's clothes as well <.<
Aug 19, 2010 8:35 AM
Jul 2009
THIS EPISODE SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF ME D;
Aug 23, 2010 7:24 AM

Jun 2009
This show is creepy balls. Next Higurashi.
Aug 23, 2010 9:19 PM

Nov 2007
Finally, Megumi makes her return. But -- nooooo, Tohru!!

Also I laughed when Tohru said he wanted to ask out greenhaired nurse, I mean they made him so gay last ep that it's almost like with this ep they wanted to quash all the shounen-ai vibes he was giving. XD
Aug 24, 2010 2:03 AM

Oct 2008
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
THE CLIFFHANGER!
Aug 25, 2010 9:11 PM
Aug 2010
zimno said:
GYAAAAA-----------SU!!!!!

......it's too scary

5/5

Scared the hell out of me...damn, I was not expecting that
Aug 28, 2010 3:43 PM
Jul 2018
The last few minutes were intense.

I wonder about the changing into vampires thing... Will everyone who had been bitten be turned?

yamakasi said:
Also I laughed when Tohru said he wanted to ask out greenhaired nurse, I mean they made him so gay last ep that it's almost like with this ep they wanted to quash all the shounen-ai vibes he was giving. XD

My thoughts exactly.
Sep 2, 2010 8:03 PM

Jan 2010
zimno said:

......it's too scary

5/5

scary..
Sep 7, 2010 11:36 PM
Dec 2009
Kanade-chan said:
zimno said:

......it's too scary

5/5

waaaaaa.
I watched this at 2am. I was scared that i don't dream of that girl >___<

kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I know wat u mean omg I should not watch this at nite but its such a good anime i cant stop lol
Sep 30, 2010 10:58 AM

May 2010
This ep is CREEPY-RIFIC!!
Sep 30, 2010 3:49 PM

Mar 2010
almost lost my sanity with the death part

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 2, 2010 7:41 AM
Oct 2008
OMG, awesome episode and awesome end! Ö
Oct 3, 2010 12:23 AM

May 2010
Wow...I haven't been overly impressed with this series until now. That episode was so creepy! Very pretty and eerie. And it even ended on a cliff-hanger that made me want to immediately watch the next one. :D
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shiki Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Dec 30, 2010

958 by mairyland »»
Apr 10, 11:14 AM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Dec 9, 2010

202 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 5:46 PM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Dec 2, 2010

312 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 5:17 PM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Nov 25, 2010

226 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Nuzuky - Oct 14, 2010

245 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 12:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.