Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Festival Accompanying Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 20, 2013 9:36 PM

Jan 2013
Gives off the same vibe as the first season with better looking quality; I'm expecting a lot from this!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 6, 2013 11:50 PM

Feb 2011
Ooishi has grown old, Rena is a hot MILF and I still don´t know which of the Hinamizawa´s time lines this story is going to take.

Truth be told, the last season left me with a great number of doubts, I hope they are solved in this season.
Aug 14, 2013 4:18 AM

Jun 2011
Adramelech said:
40 years old Rena?
Almost 50 years old Akasaka?
60 something Ooishi?

Why are they afraid of drawing people older? What kind of a 40 years old Rena is that?

I initially thought Akasaka was Ooishi's son or younger version or something, they looked oddly familiar.
Sep 22, 2013 7:49 AM
Feb 2013
Can't believe I waited so long to watch the second season, it's off to a great start so far.
Nov 7, 2013 8:02 PM
Sep 2012
i love the Rena in episode 1.....
Nov 17, 2013 10:29 AM

Jun 2013
So the volcanic gas still happened after the happy-ish ending of season 1...

The now OP is alright, but nowhere close to the epicness of the first one!
Dec 8, 2013 12:06 PM

Dec 2012
Nice transition from the last season. The new op will take some getting used to but that's only because I loved the first season's OP so damn much! On to the next.
Feb 9, 2014 6:44 AM

Jan 2009
1. i've been putting off this series just to wait for it to get dubbed in english. 7 long years it's been and still no dub. I should've just watched it subbed.

2. I binged-rewatched season 1 to prepare myself for season 2 cuz it's been 7 years since this anime came out.

3. seeing them 30 years later really shocked me, especially rena. so rena was right all this time. curious to see how the story will be told this time around.
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Apr 20, 2014 3:47 PM

Jun 2011
Good OP, not liking the ED yet. One scene I liked from the OP was Mion looking sad. Man, Rika is so mysterious. So, it's Rena who survived this time instead of Keiichi, hmm.. this episode didn't reveal much, and we're into an arc already by the next episode?
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 24, 2014 7:40 AM
Feb 2013
I love the improved art work, but really, were going with that alien story?
Apr 30, 2014 9:44 AM

Jan 2014
Okay, finally I'm into the explanation season, and it's started very well.
I like the atmosphere, this time was more mature and dramatic, and this new type of art helped a lot get into the right mood.

This was a really nice recap episode, it helped me getting order to my mind very well, so I'm ready to see the going-on.

Mmh, I'm really curious about how the alien story developing will take place, is a risky one.
And it seems this time the one who survived the gas eruption is Rena, instead of Keiichi.

Rika is such a big question, we know that she can generate this time loops, but i'd like to know how.
May 8, 2014 4:51 AM

Apr 2013
So that's the start of Kai which is presumably the explanation season.
So according to this at least the bio-terrorism parts are true? I still hope, there's no Aliens involved, but it seems like already being a matter of fact.

I don't want to sound like the usual "original OP/ED is always better!", but I really liked the OP of season 1 more. for the EDs, I don't care for both of them.
May 17, 2014 12:15 AM

Sep 2012
Seems pretty interesting. Hope there are crazy psychopaths like the first season.
May 28, 2014 1:00 PM

Jan 2014
Interesting,good first episode.
Aug 10, 2014 4:50 PM

Aug 2013
You can tell the writers are amateurs, it's not the fault of the animation company but that of the original game developers.
"Nothing is sweeter than your smile"
Sep 15, 2014 5:28 AM
Dec 2011
epic music ..masterpiece story begins :3
Oct 28, 2014 4:54 PM

Aug 2013
I think that Higurashi is one of the few show that can make me genuinely stressed and tense without having anything that much scary. I think it's the heavy atmosphere this show deliver. It is also insanely creepy how I became insensitive toward the characters fate, but instead replaced it with a morbid curiosity into what are the cause of these events. I guess it's because it's a really good mix of thriller and mystery.

Again, Deen suck at animating... Damnit Deen, can't you make the animation smoother and make the characters look less retarded?

Anyway, we are flung into a complete mystery again, but some things got cleared out. First, the outcome of the last episode of the first season. Everything seemed to end all right for the our friends group. But in the end, the disaster happened anyway and so everything they did turned into ashes.

I think the two things that made me the most curious is that ''alien bacteria'' and the government odd lie. Why would they lie about the gas leaking? From the behavior the residents have shown, here is my take : the town wasn't destroyed from an outside source, but from an inside source. What happened in my opinion is that the whole town turned crazy and the residents killed each others. Rika is probably murdered each time because she has the power to stop the disaster. That or it's because of that ''teleportation between dimension'' thing. Maybe when she goes into another iteration, she somehow have to die. That would explain why they closed the whole town and took blood tests, because they didn't the whole population to know, but they knew that there was that ''curse'' in the town.

From what I get, Rena was spared because she was arrested after her hostage taking and so was transfered out of the town. Glad to see that the creepy old policeman is back. It's really curious how sometime, he seemed to be part the conspiracy, or whatever it is. And sometime, it look like he really just is a rude cop that try to do is job.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Nov 3, 2014 8:56 PM

Nov 2013
Watching this and recieving so many answers felt soooooo good.

Rena looked so beautiful as an adult. ♥

I loved the dark atmosphere of this episode. It feels much darker than the first season where comedy was riddled everywhere.

Can't wait to find out more about Rika. She was quite the intriguing character.

5/5 can almost guarantee that this is getting a higher rating than the first season.
FunnyRatmanNov 3, 2014 9:04 PM

Jan 21, 2015 7:21 AM

Dec 2013
Great OP
Pretty boring and uneventful ep. Maybe it's because it's been 2-3 years since I watched s1.
Jan 27, 2015 6:01 AM

Jun 2014
Alright,time to return to Hinamizawa for me.
Hopefully this seasoon will answers some questions.
Actually,I hope it answers the many,many questions I have.
Mar 23, 2015 7:15 AM
Nov 2014
Nice way to start the season.

Awesome OP as well..

Time for answers to all the mindfucks last season.
Apr 30, 2015 1:33 PM

Jul 2008
Here we go, welcome back to the madness.
May 17, 2015 9:54 PM
Jul 2018
FEELS. Rena just starts remembering everything and the music tops it off. No wonder her voice is way toned down. She lost everyone. I was even expecting Keiichi...but nope.

I can sympathize with her. When stuff like that happens in your teens and you become a grown adult, what is there left with that heavy burden always in your head?

But! now, it's probably back to the past with Rika. Maybe in the end, we'll get the whole cast from Hinamizawa back and it'll be a happy ending.

She should, from my impressions, be some kind of medium that can choose dimensions of Hinamizawa to go to. There's a villain and he/she/it needs to be stamped out.

We got a good synopsis from the investigator dude. Theories and facts. Now the rest of the series will tell us what. went. on!
May 22, 2015 9:04 AM

Aug 2014
Great way to start off the 2nd season, getting introduced to the 1st season and clearing up some possible confusions. Looking forward to how this part of the series will go!
May 26, 2015 7:45 PM

Feb 2013
Lol, only this show would need an entire second season dedicated to explaining wtf was going on in the first one.

But hey, I'm not complaining =p.
Shape430May 26, 2015 8:00 PM
Aug 4, 2015 8:03 AM

Feb 2015
Wow. Rena-chan looks like she has been like this ever since it happened. Can't wait to see more.
Aug 9, 2015 11:46 AM

Dec 2014
Oh wow I didn't know that OP was from this show. I've heard it so many times. As for the episode itself what can I say. I love Higurashi and I get to watch more episodes. Can't wait to get all the answers. I'm hyped!
Oct 13, 2015 7:07 AM

May 2015
We know that Rika exists in different timelines. My guess is that she can only reach a different timeline if she dies. That would explain why she killed herself instead of fighting Shion back. Poor Rika must have to go through this over and over and over. She realized even after that night that she wouldn't get a happy ending. Searching forever for a happy ending.
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Oct 17, 2015 9:30 AM

Nov 2011
A recap, but great.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Nov 25, 2015 10:18 AM

Nov 2011
vhynz said:
Ozland said:
Off to a great start!

I'm glad I'm back on this confusion train. I'm keeping a list of questions I want answered. Since the first season I knew that something was up with Rika. It's the innocent and cute ones you gotta watch out for.
May 30, 2016 1:21 AM

Sep 2014
Yoshi! First Episode in and i can already see that the plot is esclating to a whole other level.
Oct 23, 2016 3:29 AM

Aug 2016
Raulzus said:
Watching this and recieving so many answers felt soooooo good.

Rena looked so beautiful as an adult. ♥

I loved the dark atmosphere of this episode. It feels much darker than the first season where comedy was riddled everywhere.

Can't wait to find out more about Rika. She was quite the intriguing character.

5/5 can almost guarantee that this is getting a higher rating than the first season.

Yea Rena looks so mature, but it seems like she has been suffering since the disaster.

btw
Nice start, nice recap

I'm ready for some more brutal torture and killing (hello darkness, my old friend) Nipaaa
Fried_PotatoOct 23, 2016 3:40 AM
Nov 19, 2016 9:19 AM
Mar 2016
Am I the only person that refers to Ooishi-San as Officer Delicious?
Feb 5, 2017 9:20 AM
Jan 2017
Am I late to the party or [SIZE]what[/SIZE]? :D :D
Apr 7, 2018 8:45 PM

Aug 2014
That was a great start! I am ready, let's goooo
Jun 2, 2019 10:51 AM

Aug 2018
Oh wow now we've got aliens and UFO into the mix. I guess the somewhat happy ending of the first season was for naught as in the end everyone else got killed. It's so weird seeing all the characters so much older. I presume after another piece of the puzzle falls into place we're gonna go back in time again, Rika did say after all that she's tired of this world.
<Insert clever quote>
Jul 8, 2019 1:05 PM

Mar 2017
What's with the episode-long info-dump? This was a series that wrought much of its power from keeping you guessing at what was happening and releasing a slow trickle of information, and now we've got three codgers rambling about aliens for an entire episode. If I didn't love the first series so much, I'd probably drop Kai here.
"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

"Everything... is connected." -Lain Iwakura

"Life is too short to watch bad anime. Long Live the 1st Episode Drop." -InkSpider

"Anime fans make me embarrassed to be an anime fan." -InkSpider
Sep 18, 2019 10:44 PM

Aug 2007
Oh. Thank god the animation got an upgrade.

Sep 25, 2019 8:27 PM
Apr 2019
Personally i dont belive its aliens i still think its a demon or somthing like that. Off to a good start continuing from season one 25ish years later, now hopefully back to the past for some more suspense and gruesome murders.
Oct 18, 2019 10:35 PM

May 2017
I thought I watched this episode at the beginning of the year, after finishing the first season, but damn, I don't remember aliens and bacteria! This is gonna be awesome.
Dec 27, 2019 9:47 PM
Dec 2019
After watch this eps and previous season of Higurashi I got conclusion that multiple universe exist in this anime where each world have their own route storyline for each arc to progress.

This is what I believe that fatal tragedy which kill every people on village always happen after Rika death no matter what route it is and she kept that memories what already happen in each of world and bring it to another world from start after her death and she start not from the day when Oishi came to school but since she was born to new world! Can u imagine that?!

But in the end I'm still confused with the replacement of perspective where the one who save from the gas wasn't Keichi but in Renna perspective and if I remembered Oishi supposed to be missing on Satoko arc but he survived in this route. The difference for each route really happening here.

Could be each time that disaster happen even in different route there will always a person alive but Rika always have to die ?

well let's just watch next eps to know it more I guess
myBoneismySwordDec 27, 2019 10:00 PM
Mar 31, 2020 10:52 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great start, I'm looking forward to seeing how the mystery will slowly but steadily open up. Amazing how two previous arcs, Rika and Rena's, are being touched upon now.

Rika's "Next Hinamizawa" confirms the multiple timelines now, I suppose. And the deaths of the photographer and nurse an inevitable occurrence. Boy, this is starting to sound a little like Steins;Gate...

Got to say, the updated art-style is a treat to watch though. Hopefully, it'll keep up till the end.

I really hope the next episode previews will go back to that of Season 1's though, those really gave the chills. New Op & ED aren't bad but nowhere as good as those in Season 1 too, visually and from a musical point of view. Well, hopefully it'll start to grow on me with each passing episode.
_MushiRock11_Mar 31, 2020 10:57 PM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 24, 2020 2:38 AM

Feb 2018
The OP was so nice... Rena grow into adult.
May 17, 2020 4:54 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
Nothing like a good time skip to really hammer home reality (a trick one of my favorites, Nagi no Asu Kara, also used to great effect.) It's painful to see the older Rena without the least spark of happiness.
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
May 27, 2020 5:36 AM

May 2018
So this timeline is the one where Rena is saved by Keiichi and Rika.

My favourite detective Akasawa is back :D
Jul 13, 2020 9:52 PM

Aug 2018
Nice episode!! I really enjoyed this!! I loved everything about this!

Sep 1, 2020 4:56 PM

Dec 2013
Great episode, little recap helps back to the series. Good to revisit those places.
Sep 17, 2020 8:13 AM

Apr 2013
So I hoped for more answers, but we just got more talk about that alien theory. I hope this won't be true, because it's kinda lame, ngl.
Oct 21, 2020 9:16 AM
Oct 2019
Wow, just wow....

A lot lot explanation in this first episode, didn't expect that at all...

Hey Akasaka-san is back, Oishi-san too he is so old now and Oh My God I'm freaky out seeing Adult Rena-chan 😱

So this is almost 25 years after the gas disaster...
I bet we are gonna get more perspective from Rika-chan this Season..

Bruhh it was really an Alien??? Wow, never expected ir to be Sci-Fi
davidyodo24Oct 22, 2020 7:50 AM
Oct 30, 2020 12:29 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Okay. I already watched this first episode, and then read the synopsis. The result? Shit, was the MC pov changed totally into Rika's hand of perspective? Omg. It seemed to be like that, and after reading some comment from the previous season, and watched carefully at her own words before the whole looping time began, i must convinced myself that the thing is a canon one. Oh my, what an actual fuck was these revelations? 30 years later, only Rena survived after the last arc of the previous season. But, its got mixed up with Satoko's arc where Keiichi became a mad dog one. I wonder what kind of future Rika needed as her best? Five of them survived forever? Maybe its like to be there while the mystery slowly revealed itself. But, how and what happened on these timeline? The answer of how maybe i can get by the end of these season. And about these lone episode, i guess, it saves for me that these timeline stopped with that conditions. A future with a demplition of Hinamizawa village with the one and only survivor was Rena instead of Keiichi. Lol. After all he had done he still failed to live on that timeline. Nice shit, first episode! You took my appreciation!

Sooo, lemme continued the long run of the second season of Higurashi, while i am not even forgetting that new girl character and her role on these season. And i see Shion hugged Satoko too. It might be hinted to get a better ending at Shion-Mion crazy arc. Welp, thats it! Go to the next one!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Entropy - Sep 24, 2007

141 by benisgu »»
Apr 6, 2:03 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Entropy - Oct 1, 2007

216 by ghostgirl_ »»
Mar 14, 4:06 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Entropy - Sep 6, 2007

120 by benisgu »»
Mar 2, 8:38 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

LunarEmerald - Oct 29, 2007

100 by Drinzen »»
Feb 9, 4:05 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LunarEmerald - Dec 17, 2007

364 by gb214 »»
Dec 31, 2023 4:29 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.