Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 15, 2015 8:08 AM

Aug 2013
very beautiful art and story
the ost also great
I like it..
why this rated so low?
people didn't like a heavy anime?
May 24, 2015 8:20 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Despite its many shortcomings, like weak plot, bland characters (except Cossette), the animation was good and the OST is some of Yuki's finest.
Also it ended well, with Cossette reborning into that chicks body.
7/10
Jun 10, 2015 9:33 PM

Sep 2013
This was some kinky/trippy sht XD

I thought something was off with Cossette when they entered :O lol
So the girl was reborn into Shoko or maybe she's still around in that place with dead and the living based on th elast seconds.

8/10
Jun 20, 2015 8:19 AM

Sep 2014
This OVA is simply under appreciated. Please, anyone should remake this into longer series and call Yuki Kajiura back to work on the OST. I've rewatched it again and again and still, Cosette's beauty is haunting me. If I was Eri, I'd been dead
Maiden, Mother and Corne
Jun 20, 2015 5:56 PM

Mar 2015
insan3Inquisitor said:

6/10. it was entertaining but it just wasn't as deep as it pretended to be imo.

Mhm I don't really think this anime pretended to be thaaaaat deep,it's just the way its presented that would make it seem as such.And the presentation is fitting imo given the conext and themes,kinda(not much but kinda) like Satoshi Kon's movies.But I see where you are coming from and it had some pretense(<--I don't mean this as a criticism)

So this is what taking drugs feels like?Beautifully artistic mindscrew anime....liked it.
The themes were all nicely visually presented and the scenarys just looked gurgeous at times.Noteworthy is also how it had a variety of different styles,all really fitting to represent the mood/feel of each scene.
This is an anime you can't judge/rate based on your basic formula and it would be foolish to do so imo.I know it gets overused but this OVA...is art,about art.
For a moment I thought I was watching EoE(LillithRei) again.
Really enjoyed this anime and will rewatch it soon 7/10 and I'm surprised I liked it because the director is one of my least favourites...
I'm surprised that this has a manga,because I honestly can't imagine experiencing it through another medium.
_HeroKenzan_Jul 8, 2015 4:07 AM
Sep 1, 2015 4:12 AM

Aug 2012
insan3Inquisitor said:
Well, i&#039;ll be the odd one out. It&#039;s true that the atmosphere, music, and visuals were well done. But, I think that the characters were very flat and I really really dislike it when a show forgoes character development for pretty graphics. I do understand that it was never really the point, nor intention, to focus on the characters; and the storytelling shows this. But, it is possible to make the story ambiguous while still developing the characters.

6/10. it was entertaining but it just wasn&#039;t as deep as it pretended to be imo.

Agree, but I'll give it 7 for great visuals and naked gothic lolita

ohh marcello
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZiZC5DaWnY

heroashit said:

So this is what taking drugs feels like?Beautifully artistic mindscrew anime....liked it.

Watch Kaiba if you want to know about how drugs feel
Jan 6, 2016 3:44 AM

Aug 2010
This anime was on my to watch list for years. Kinda wasted time watching this, I wish it was still on twl xd
Jan 7, 2016 11:57 PM

Nov 2013
I like this anime, much like the same way Eiri fall in love with Cossette, If I had want a romance story whether it is Anime or live action series, I'd want it to be this OVA.
However. I'd probably like this more if this was more "friendly", some of scene when Eri's changed are kinda dragged and I kinda dislike the fact that both main characters always naked whenever they go to other universe aka the very important scene in every episode, I mean c'mon, There's no difference on the story if they just gave cossette the costum she was wearing throughout the series right?
Sigh, I guess it just anime being anime.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Feb 22, 2016 4:49 AM

Jun 2011
Two things I learned after watching this show,

(1) Never be with a pedo, it will get you killed.
(2) Shinbou will be Shinbou, pretentious directing with multiple pointless off shots and never put focus on where it should.

Great premise with terrible directing and execution.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 16, 2016 7:44 AM
Mar 2012
From ep1, found the odd camera angles, framing, focus on patterned backgrounds very unusual. Lots of eye posters & artistic choices, though didn't like some of it. It made sense when I saw Shinbou's name. And mc reminds me a lot of Araragi.
The strange romantic relationship, punisher & reincarnated sinner, guilt, gothic abstract imagery with some fantastic animation of Eiri suffering for its time (2004). CG backgrounds were ok for its time also.
Very amazing OSTs, reminds me of Kalafina. Later noticed music by Kajiura Yuki before she founded Kalafina.
Side characters are a bit random, and mains aren't very deep since it's like a 1:50 film, but the relationship & manner of storytelling was engrossing. The music, imagery & pacing kept me watching without ever wanting to pause, which is rare for me.
A true artist's sharp perception, I like how Eiri found the fake. And searched for the real Cossette. Ending got really quite abstract. Real Cossette "ran away", shown asleep on grey roses many times. He destroyed Marcelo's paintings (including the perfect fake), and made his own Cossette art. Then he visits her grave, which I assume referred to the sleeping "stone" in her narration. Last shot is a classic horror cut, where often a character revives with open eyes. I assume the real Cossette awakes from her eternal curse, and could pass on or rip.
Sep 6, 2016 8:14 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
I liked it but could not watch all 3 episodes in a row..... had to watch one a night. The art was nicely done and the music was really on point. Was 7/10 until the last 5 seconds of the last episode. That got it an extra point .... just for those eyes.... lol. 8/10
Sep 8, 2016 8:52 PM

Jun 2016
Owh~~ I like how this flow of story. Its creepy art really unique.
Its music background also good and remind me to Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle since made by Yuki Kajiura too.
Btw, it is an amazing show :)
Oct 16, 2016 8:59 AM

Apr 2016
Still not sure what the story seemed to convey. My guess is it is about him as an artist, and originality in art. The romance failed to impress, as I could not really appreciate why he was so obsessed with the girl (unless the girl is just a personification of his passion towards art).
The music was good. The animation was of the kind which always makes my head ache even though the scenes are drawn very nicely. (So many eyes coming out of nowhere really irritated me, but I guess it adds to the feel(?) of the show).

Overall, it was kind of interesting, but I don't think I can watch it again.
Dec 2, 2016 8:58 AM

May 2014
I did enjoy this anime. I thought the story was simple to understand and the final episode made sure to patch things up. I liked this anime, however, I just couldn't stand Erie's character. I felt bad for shoko. She loves a man that's too blinded by another's beauty to ever take notice of her.
Feb 14, 2017 6:41 PM

Feb 2013
4th watch complete.

First part: Desperation at the sudden loss of Cossette.

... totally forgot about the short insert song ...

Then, short version, he didn't want to paint the painting of Cossette, he wanted to paint the real thing. Curse broken. I do love the warmth of the ending.

This remains 10/10 and 2nd best anime. I admit, it's the 15/10 first episode that keeps it up there.
Shinbo's directing style at its finest. (SoulTaker -> Cossette -> Madoka) It works extremely well with darker more psychological stuff.
Yuki Kajiura's music sort of speaks for itself... always beautiful.

Playcool said:
Also it ended well, with Cossette reborning into that chicks body.
That possibility never occurred to me. I suppose it's possible, like how Eiri "inherited" Marcelo's soul (as described in the anime).
BurntJellyFeb 14, 2017 7:04 PM
Mar 6, 2017 11:57 AM

Mar 2012
There's nothing about this show that appeals to me strongly apart from the very good OST. It was, interesting to say the least. Maybe it's something that will eventually grow on me like most psychologicals do in the days following but, for now...it was alright.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Apr 16, 2017 6:23 PM

Jun 2015
A confusing, nightmarish fever dream throughout, but clearly very inspired. There is definitely more depth in the overall presentation than the plot itself, and honestly the biggest faults I could cite about this show are things present in the source material.

Ignore the low rating; if you're a fan of Shinbou's work or dark psychological/dementia-style presentation, this is definitely not one to miss. More of an inspiring and fascinating experience than a purely enjoyable one for me, but I still give it 8/10 for the raw power of the art/music alone.
Aug 12, 2017 8:56 AM
Nov 2009
Seabury said:
This last episode was so powerful for me. I definitely got goosebumps when he dipped his paintbrush into his own blood. Both literally and symbolically, that scene was so vivid, I think I'm going to remember it forever. One thing that really struck me afterwards was how when he reunited with Cossette, I thought to myself "this is so hokey and absurd that it just feels fake, maybe I'll have to dock a point." Then, it turns out, that was the fake Cossette! It's just so interesting that they subtly changed her character during that scene, so subtle that I attributed it to bad writing. So yeah, I don't know what insan3soldiern is talking about, I thought the characterization was wonderful, this is one of my 10/10 anime for sure.

Well, at the end of the 2nd episode they show the painting moving her lips and at the beginning of the 3rd episode they show Cossette saying farewell, even showing a reflection of her thoughts afterwards...so it was kinda obvious.

Nice bloody painting by the way.
Nov 18, 2017 4:44 AM

Oct 2017
This anime's both visually stunning and haunting and Shinbo-san's style is very well-fitting; and Yuki Kajiura's music for a dark, gothic anime? Well, I can't think anything more suitable than that.

Despite a bit bland characters, this anime is really worth watching.

8/10 after all.
Dec 3, 2017 5:32 AM
Sep 2017
Was I the only one who actually cried in the last episode? I seriously want to re-watch this entire OVA after I've finished some of the other anime that I am currently watching. Loved the unhinged and eerie vibe of this ova, it really did feel like an off the rocker haunting story like Ghost Hunt and Ghost Hound.
Apr 12, 2018 10:28 AM

Aug 2014
I don't understand the last episode tbh. Was the Cosette he was with all along a fake then but he never realized it? Or was it that Cosette went into an eternal slumber at the beginning of the 3rd episode? Also, what happens after when Cosette opened her eyes after the credits rolled?

Was a good watch until the third episode imo...6/10 from me
Sep 22, 2018 5:40 PM

Oct 2015
weird and contained a message, but damn was Eiri obsessed with Cossette even though it hurts him. I'm glad Shouko came through but that ending though?

Was psychological but it was worth it. 7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 3, 2018 4:46 AM

Jun 2015
I want this to be remade with the same music, the same story line, the same scenes, but with modern animation. This work of art needs a work of art in animation.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Dec 10, 2018 11:00 PM

Jul 2017
The ending was actually pretty good, but this episode was so overdramatic as a whole with tons of twisty, dark imagery. I didn't really enjoy it. Reading through the posts, someone mentioned the story being about an artist finding his own style. That's a pretty interesting take on this. Or it's a story about redeeming a broken person. Those are both pretty interesting; I just didn't love the presentation.
Jul 19, 2019 10:01 PM

Jul 2016
Well, this sure was an odd/peculiar experience. The first episode was indeed pretty interesting but sadly, the story progression became boring from there due to the execution. Especially Ep. 2, which was really tedious to finish for this reason.

On the other hand, the OST was truly marvelous and the general atmosphere was handled in an outstanding way as well. Without a doubt, the two things I liked the most of these OVAs.

5/10 - Not bad but in terms of story, it wasn't too remarkable either.
Jul 25, 2019 8:09 PM

Jun 2015
was better to watch in an anime form than read as a manga, gets around a 7/10 from me
Aug 18, 2019 2:50 AM
Jul 2018
I don't even remember what this show is about in spite watching this less than six months ago.
Sep 15, 2019 8:24 PM

Nov 2008
That was trippy as f***k and creepy too. xD But it was beautiful. And about art. So I liked it.

Niveen_Sleem said:
I want this to be remade with the same music, the same story line, the same scenes, but with modern animation. This work of art needs a work of art in animation.

I mean, it's Madhouse so it was DAMN pretty as is...you can barely tell it was made 15 years ago lol. Now, I really wasn't big on the character art...those protruding lips bothered me...and all the women had the same face with those same weird big lips. xD

Dec 11, 2019 4:59 PM

Oct 2013
Yet another criminally underrated series. I swear MAL users in general have the most normie taste.
Mar 31, 2020 12:53 AM

Dec 2009
The characters are dull in how flat and straightforward they are.
Shoko is pretty annoying in her obsessed and possessive unrequited love for Eiri by being overly jealous.

There's a few plot holes or rather unanswered questions; Did Eiri fall in love with her by choice or attraction from her senses. As a spirit, how does she have or know these spiritual techniques. Does he literally travel to her past locations or are they all spiritual travels to the past. Why is only one scar to his chest left and not all of the other damage that is done to his body. Why did Marcelo kill her parents and not just Cossette. Why does the psychic completely forget about her attempt to stop the evil spirits of the cursed clock after she fails to do so. How did Shoko enter a coma and follow Eiri in the spirit realm.

Eiri, a young man who either; fell in love at first sight with the spirit of Cossette that revealed herself or, was influenced to be attracted to her by her for knowing that he's an artist and had the potential to inherent the spirit of Marcelo, her fiance who loved and killed her, along her family, to keep her current beauty and not let it change by aging in his psychotic artistic mind. She believes that the only way to free her spirit that has been trapped by grudge of her fiance to some objects can only become free by the death of Eiri, a man who loves Cossette, who's inherited Marcelo's spirit. She believes Eiri must be punished for Marcelo's sins to free her.

... I thought it was dumb of how Eiri was completely dense in not realizing that her killer was Marcelo, who he inherited, whenever she avoided talking about him.

After regretting the pain she's caused Eiri,
The manifestation of Marcelo's portrait of Cossette brings Eiri to the spirit realm in an attempt to force her existence into him after he realizes she's not the real Cossette when he tries to paint her.
After painting the real Cossette, the manifestation dies.

And... That's it. The fuck. Terrible conclusion to a poorly built story. Well... the mystery was interesting and the aesthetic effects and cinematography was unique and beautiful.

I could assume and wonder more but whatever. Poorly built story.
May 16, 2020 3:34 PM
Jul 29, 2020 5:14 PM
Aug 2019
found this by accident and watched it and i find the plot unique hnngg
Jan 7, 2021 5:05 PM

Mar 2016
Obsessiveness and stagnant beauty..I dunno.

Didn't need to be three episodes long. Sometimes visually interesting, but otherwise flat and hollow. Shame, had some interesting ideas.
syncrogazerJan 7, 2021 5:08 PM
Mar 24, 2021 1:25 AM
Jul 2018
This is one of my favorite OVAs now, it's overflowing with interesting ideas and I don't think it lacks in anything other than having an extremely simple story. Very artsy fartsy, I recommend it to anyone interested in it.
Mar 5, 2022 11:45 PM
Jan 2020
Other than lacking characterization at some parts, for sure, this is way too criminally underrated.
Apr 19, 2022 3:20 PM
Dec 2017
this deserves lot more love overall

May 20, 2022 7:50 AM
Jan 2017
Just Finished rewatched today,,
its simply deep dark, creepy, gore and actually good anime,,

about the cursed objest which hated some man who worked on antique shop cause he has a piece of murder soul,
someday he found a glass, become obsessed to it then after few day he saw a beutiful girl on the glass, then its impact his soul,, someday he make a blood contract with the girl the realize the truth that girl was a victim of murder about 250 years ago then leave her tormented soul on the glass waiting to be found and avenge her murder ,,
after some time passed, the man become fail in love on he then hold pain from cursed object and finally sacrificing his own soul just to stay on the same world with the girl,
the world made from their painting and feeling,,
the time they spend on that world leaving the true body unconsciously made the people around him worried very much,, but when the girl wanting to be painting, the man realize that the girl just a manifestation of a beaty and paint by the murder on the past, the man reject everything about it and making his own painting about the girl that he loved, finnaly it beat the old paiting, make it burn,, and the girl from real world meet the man after that said that his painting feel more warm than the old one,,
he then meet the girl he love on the other room, she on sleeping position above the white rose flower or something similar, he said goodbye and leave her on that world alone and back to his own wolrd that he belong,,

oke its about love, supranatural, dark gore, mysterious supranatural world, death, vengeance and lolita gothic
Jun 1, 2022 5:39 AM

Jul 2021
Not gonna lie what keeps me intrigued is the cinematography and the dark themes were only the only atmospheres they absolutely gave some tension throughout the journey but the worldbuilding is left to be desired and isn't remarkable by any means because the characters are pretty dull and straightforward which is why there are few appeals I have with Eiri whatsoever, and I get they're trying to be original and different with its own premise but not everything can be as executed as according to it's own ideas with this poor direction or maybe it tries to be deep and pretentious while it pretended to do so no offense ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4/10
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jun 23, 2022 8:22 PM
Jan 2022
I feel really confused about this anime, I really wanted to enjoy it more but I don't know, something about it feels so off. The Visual storytelling was magnificent though. I'm hoping this is one of those animes that get better with every rewatch, I'm definitely going to give it a little time and rewatch it and see if it connects with me more, for the visual storytelling alone I give it a 7/10
Sep 18, 2022 9:42 PM

Nov 2010
If I met a real life Touko Kuchiki, I am willing to go through all the nine circles of hell just so I can spend an eternity with her in the end!

Anyway, Cossette is cute and intriguing enough to be worth all that trouble. I can understand Eiri's obsession with her. I wonder if they ended up together in the end, despite the fact he died?

That was a surreal experience. 7/10
Feb 27, 2023 9:38 AM
Apr 2020
Cossette that toture Eiri was physical body of portrait made by Marcelo who obsessed over Cossette until Eiri destroy the curse by draw his own Cossette and real Cossette are now free from eternal slumber and pass on and pass on
Mar 28, 2023 3:27 PM

Feb 2020
That was a very good OVA ! A bit confusing at times, it is very metaphorical, I should take time to analyse some scenes, but I really liked it. The atmosphere was awesome-well, with Yuki Kajiura and Akiyuki Shinbo, that's a given-, I really liked the characters, the voice acting was great, especially when it comes to Marina Inoue who definitely is one of the most talented seiyuus, there were some very interesting artistic choices, and the overall story was very nice.
It sometimes reminded me a lot of Tenshi no Tamago which I love, and it seems that it took some strong inspiration from The Picture of Dorian Gray (my favorite book), that only made me like it more. I actually began to read the manga some years ago but I feel like the adaptation really gave it a soul. I should try it again though, especially since from what I remember it looks like there were some changes made in the story.

Now there were some aspects I was a bit less sure about, like the action scenes which, while interesting, might be a bit too much compared to the overall tone, but for three episodes, it did a great job at making me feel invested. I give it a good 7/10 !
Nov 6, 2023 5:36 PM

Dec 2022
Fantastic anime. Eiri and Cossette's enigmatic, yet honest interactions and the charmingly morbid imagery were the main appeal, but it was solid pretty much everywhere. The only discernible fault I can fathom is the somewhat plain side characters, but I also feel as if they served their purpose despite that, taking into account the short duration of the anime. Could see myself bumping its rating up to perfect in the future on a rewatch when I understand it more, as it's already a stunning watch.

Shaded Horizon

Mar 20, 4:23 PM
Apr 2019
Reply to slenderfall
I liked the series as a whole but did feel I was missing something, maybe I should watch it again soon. But I did love the music and the way it looked
@slenderfall Same here
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Le Portrait de Petit Cossette Episode 2 Discussion

kittygoesmad - Dec 19, 2009

28 by lasodamos »»
Feb 26, 2:26 PM

Poll: » Le Portrait de Petit Cossette Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

lostty - Dec 27, 2008

53 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 6, 2023 3:44 PM

» Le Portrait de Petit Cossette 02

dybuk - Nov 22, 2009

0 by dybuk »»
Nov 22, 2009 3:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.