Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 13, 2010 5:29 PM

Jan 2010
Mockman said:
Shouldn't they wait until episode six or seven before playing the meaningless filler episodes? This plot deserves ridicule.

belatkuro said:
This episode followed the manga almost perfectly. This isn't a filler, though the story might be to you.

Just because it was in the manga doesn't mean it isn't filler. A meaningless story is a meaningless story. Pretty much everything about this episode was false.

The anime is responsible for itself. It can't use the excuse that it's following the manga, and therefore, bad storytelling is actually good storytelling. It has to stand on its own legs. Lots of anime is based on manga and manages to be interesting.

Maybe this episode was told well in the manga. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. There seems to be a number of manga readers who are interested in the anime. But having seen the anime, I don't feel encouraged to read the manga.

On a side note, I can't help but feel that the show is lying about the hero's age. He doesn't act like a high school student. He acts like an elementary school kid. His naive and simplistic approach to what are actually complex situations is painful to watch. His mindless willingness to risk himself, his friends, the youkai who love and depend upon him, and all and sundry, for no real reason at all, is something I can only picture in a child who doesn't know that there is a real world out there. For his age, he seems stunted. And his solution to the problems he creates is straight out of a Mahou Shoujo.
Aug 14, 2010 1:14 AM

Jul 2008
Just because it was in the manga doesn't mean it isn't filler. A meaningless story is a meaningless story. Pretty much everything about this episode was false.

Fillers are episodes that are not present in source material. People should seriously stop giving it another meaning. too often have I seen people call episodes that are important for the story fillers just because it is not immediately obvious what its importance is.
Also, from where did you get the idea that it was unimportant anyway? It didn't drag but this arc was the point where Day Rikuo finally realizes that his behavior hurts others.

The anime is responsible for itself. It can't use the excuse that it's following the manga, and therefore, bad storytelling is actually good storytelling. It has to stand on its own legs. Lots of anime is based on manga and manages to be interesting.

And most anime's who do that get screwed up in the end. Be happy that the director is trying to get out of earlier chapters as soon as possible (tough they still should not have cut the first chapter that explains why Day Rikuo acted like he did).

On a side note, I can't help but feel that the show is lying about the hero's age. He doesn't act like a high school student.

He is a Middle School Student actually... I am quite sure it was already mentioned in the anime somewhere...
NayraelAug 14, 2010 1:17 AM
Aug 18, 2010 10:52 PM

Jan 2010
Interesting episode.. parade of 100 demons are really cool
Aug 29, 2010 12:47 AM

Sep 2008
Pretty cool with the parade of 100 demons thing. Not cool enough though.

Not enough Yuki Onna either.

Slowly becoming disappointed in this anime.
Sep 13, 2010 12:57 AM

Feb 2010
Night Rikuo is awesome.
The other Rikuo is rather a coward.. wonder if he will change over time =/
Sep 16, 2010 4:02 AM

Jan 2010
Nayrael said:

Fillers are episodes that are not present in source material. People should seriously stop giving it another meaning. too often have I seen people call episodes that are important for the story fillers just because it is not immediately obvious what its importance is.
Also, from where did you get the idea that it was unimportant anyway? It didn't drag but this arc was the point where Day Rikuo finally realizes that his behavior hurts others.

And most anime's who do that get screwed up in the end. Be happy that the director is trying to get out of earlier chapters as soon as possible (tough they still should not have cut the first chapter that explains why Day Rikuo acted like he did).

On a side note, I can't help but feel that the show is lying about the hero's age. He doesn't act like a high school student.

He is a Middle School Student actually... I am quite sure it was already mentioned in the anime somewhere...

You were right about the age. I had to re-watch to find out. Middle school was mentioned by Aotabou in the ep.05 preview. But I couldn't find it mentioned before that episode.

Re-watching the early episodes allowed me to understand why I found his character so irritating in this episode (and the previous one). In the first two episodes, he didn't act like this. He still had a simplistic view of the world (i.e. I've made up my mind and that's that) but he handled himself well, considering his age. For example, he planned ahead in telling his clan to avoid the school building, once in the building, he took charge of the search in order to keep the yokai unseen. The first two episodes were enjoyable.

Beginning with the visit from his schoolmates, he changed into a weak, mewling child who is still stubborn, clueless and naive. Not only did his character become unattractive but it was a big change for the worse -- it was out of character for him.

Regarding the filler, I can see your point about the word. But there are other ways to use it. If only 18 minutes of a 22 minute episode are spent telling the story, then what are the other four minutes? They are there to fill out the 22 minute episode because you can't have an 18 minute episode. I couldn't help but feel that this 'arc' was just there to help fill out the 24 episodes for the season. I was wrong about that but they were still junk and they felt like filler.

Finally, I'm not suggesting that they write a completely new story for the anime. I don't' care if it follows the manga or not. I'm interested in a good story. But it shouldn't use the excuse of following the manga to justify lousy storytelling. Why bother even creating the anime if that's your attitude? If the rat arc is actually important, then do a good job with it. This was such a lousy job that I can't believe it's important.
Sep 16, 2010 5:33 AM

Jul 2008
Finally, I'm not suggesting that they write a completely new story for the anime. I don't' care if it follows the manga or not. I'm interested in a good story. But it shouldn't use the excuse of following the manga to justify lousy storytelling. Why bother even creating the anime if that's your attitude? If the rat arc is actually important, then do a good job with it.

I never said "It is the manga adaptation and thus the storytelling can be lousy here". I criticized your filler comment and the fact that you can't judge the importance of an episode to the global story without seeing more of the global story. You can criticize the quality of storytelling and some other story-related stuff, but not its importance to the global story. Usually you can't see the importance of an episode/chapter without seeing the rest of the story anyway. A totally awesome episode can end up being something totally unimportant as well. Thus just not liking the story of the episode does not make it a filler and unimportant.

And don't get it wrong: I am not criticizing your opinions about the episode (I agree with many criticisms around here and am also not enjoyed that as adaptation it was also worse), just the filler and adaptation comments.
Dec 25, 2010 9:05 AM

Apr 2010
Do someone know the title of the background music they use here?
Mar 6, 2011 4:32 AM

Jan 2011
Isn't this a little bit earlier to call forth night of 100k yokai?
There is like 2 weeks delay in my recent reading list
I randomly bought discount/second hand manga with cute/mysterious cover.

Use Personal Blacklist extension in Chrome if you just want to Google for a series synopsis, without google slapping MAL score in it.
3/1
Mar 26, 2011 11:33 AM

Feb 2011
i don't really know but i think i love this anime
i think it because the supernatural genre
or action

in the battle scene it really yura overwhelming the cat clan
looks like the have no changes form the beginning
Jul 16, 2011 5:29 AM
Oct 2010
Epicness
Aug 3, 2011 7:48 AM

Oct 2009
I felt so fucking annoyed at human Rikuo during the first half, but luckily the second half saved it. I almost dropped it like Katekyo Hitman Reborn! because of these wusses.
Nov 29, 2011 4:41 PM

Dec 2009
Finally a good episode, the ending was pretty good.
Mar 19, 2012 11:02 AM

Oct 2009
Gah i hate the Day Rikuo D: such as wuss and the seiyuu just makes it worse :|
May 18, 2012 5:53 AM
Jan 2012
Nura is badass.
Oct 8, 2012 7:38 PM

May 2012
The Nura Clan!!! Sooo cool!
Oct 10, 2012 5:42 PM

Sep 2010
Night Rikuo completely compensates the scared Day Rikuo.
"If you can eliminate all the other choices, the remaining choice, no matter how improbable, it is the answer."- Sherlock Holmes
Sep 5, 2014 5:12 PM

Jan 2014
Man Day Rikuo is so annoying. Such pussy very coward wow.
Recommend me an anime
Jan 4, 2015 7:53 PM

Jun 2014
Rats beating up cats? It reminds me of that disney movie, The Aristocats, where the Roquefort chases the gang of cats.

I have been drinking too much

Aug 5, 2016 8:48 AM
Feb 2015
rikuo nura is a bad main character he always whining and powerless in the day transformation but his yokai nigt transformation hes a badass and all powerful hes like tsuna and yugi from yu gioh he has to relie on his split personality for all his battles SMH
Aug 5, 2016 8:49 AM
Feb 2015
forever777me said:
Night Rikuo completely compensates the scared Day Rikuo.
hes like tsuna from hitman reborn and yugi from yu gi oh
Aug 5, 2016 8:57 AM
Feb 2015
rikuo nura friends are annoying
Dec 23, 2017 8:40 PM

May 2016
This entrance was the best part of the show
Dec 1, 2018 8:28 PM

Apr 2014
Was hoping the fight would have lasted a lot longer, and been a lot cooler... At least we got a fight, though.
Aug 1, 2020 9:02 PM
Oct 2019
Human Rikuo is really really annoying.

That Night Parade entrance and the animation style was boss, though. Very cool looking.
Jul 21, 2023 7:44 AM

Nov 2010
I also would love to suck Kana's blood and devour her!
Rikuo's transformation is so OP so far. It's always a one-hit KO. I'm looking forward for him to fight someone challenging soon.
Sep 30, 2023 9:21 AM
Aug 2022
Freedom fighters were crushed by the tyrant and his puppet kitty. A moment of silence for my fighter bros, host club rats.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nurarihyon no Mago Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

deadaccount0000 - Jul 5, 2010

155 by vadoyager7 »»
Feb 17, 8:02 PM

Poll: » Nurarihyon no Mago Episode 22 Discussion

tsubasalover - Dec 6, 2010

37 by Archean-Return »»
Feb 7, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Dubbed or Subbed? Witch one is better?

Zmagoo256 - Apr 26, 2020

2 by Mazdite1 »»
Nov 12, 2023 12:15 PM

Poll: » Nurarihyon no Mago Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HawthorneKitty - Sep 6, 2010

113 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Oct 2, 2023 10:03 AM

Poll: » Nurarihyon no Mago Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bolt_ - Aug 30, 2010

73 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Oct 1, 2023 12:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.