Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 25, 2010 1:13 PM

Aug 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I like this whole Newtype business, although I don't quite get it.
PheefaJul 25, 2010 1:35 PM
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Jul 30, 2010 5:28 AM

May 2008
I almost thought for a second that Bright was gonna kiss Sayla... pfuu~ it wasn't like that fortunatelly~
So Amuro is a Newtype and Gundam is not able to catch up with him.... I expect some serious upgrade on Gundam so the battle with Lalah and Char will be more epic~
Nov 7, 2010 9:37 AM

Aug 2009
Hehe I bet that little black box his father made is exactly what the Gundam needs to keep up!
Jan 4, 2011 2:08 PM

Sep 2009
I like that.

Amuro has grown up so much the Gundam can't compete.
Feb 10, 2011 6:54 PM

Feb 2008
Question: Is Sayla also a Newtype?
Nice
check this rad twitter out: http://twitter.com/fuckyeah_anime
Jul 19, 2011 9:21 AM

May 2010
Looking at the Amuro's profile, it upsets me a bit that he isn't a "main" in other Gundams...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 1, 2011 7:44 AM

Jun 2009
Confucius said:
Looking at the Amuro's profile, it upsets me a bit that he isn't a "main" in other Gundams...

Yeah, I did the same some time ago, too. And actually felt the same. I just hope that the following series have characters at least as great as Amuro!
Dec 27, 2012 6:14 PM

Jun 2009
I find it really cool that Amuro's abilities have gotten so advanced that even the Gundam can't keep up with him. That's badass.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 19, 2013 6:49 PM

Nov 2011
Okay, now the series is all Newtype and Amuro suddenly understanding that he has psychic abilities and using them at every moment. It was hinted at plenty of times, but it is still feels like it's totally bizarre and out of nowhere.

An equal psychic v. psychic fight would come down to the longest enduring mobile suit. Endurance fights can go either way in awesomeness. This will so become a superpowered Death Note/Code Geass in space with some statement about war and evolution at the end. Char will probably make it, too. 'Newtypes are pathetic human mutations spawned by war.' How romantic.

sayami said:
I almost thought for a second that Bright was gonna kiss Sayla... pfuu~ it wasn't like that fortunatelly~

Yeah, me, too! Just after saying he'd always be there for Mirai, too, and being concerned over Frau being too "tired". I was so prepared for another out-of-the-blue romance to materialize. I can't handle White Base. It's just a massive web of "front-line romance". /judgmental Char wineglass sip.
CathedralApr 19, 2013 6:55 PM
Aug 23, 2013 9:57 AM

Sep 2008
Yeah, newtype thing came pretty much out of nowhere. There were hints in previous episodes about it but now they decided put all out so suddenly. IIRC MSG was suppodes to be around 50 episodes, but it got cut. Maybe that is reason for weirdly fast development from "we are just dropping hints" to "I can totally outpace Gundam with my phychic powers!".
Aug 26, 2013 3:13 PM

Nov 2012
This whole newtype business just doesn't sit well with me.
Jan 15, 2014 11:31 PM
Aug 2011
Nope_ said:
This whole newtype business just doesn't sit well with me.

It doesn't sit well with me either.

sayami said:

Same here. The way the scene panned in was too awkward and it almost looked like he was going to stand up and kiss her.
Wouldn't have surprised me if he did since this show likes to pull romances out of thin air...
Feb 18, 2014 11:06 AM

Sep 2013
Haha I love how Amuro is becoming some kind of a god of awesome. He's going to need an upgraded Gundam soon, and that will happen most likely next episode.
Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM

Mar 2013
This newtype dude from Jupiter died too quickly.
May 29, 2014 9:41 AM
Jan 2013
smh...this newtype bs. I would've loved if Amuro had gotten this good because of experience and effort, but now its all about the newtype, and if you are not one, you cant compete -_-
Jun 22, 2014 11:44 PM

Jul 2009
Wow what an amazing episode!!

Finally they're exploring what these Newtypes are!! It seems they existed for a long time now.

Amuro seeing those visions, is this what you get for being high on space!?! XD

Looks like Challia Bull got played by the Zeon as a decoy for experimental data. Of course Char predicted this would happen. Amuro has gotten alot stronger now :P

Damn Amuro pushing the Gundam to the limits!!! The newer Gundams it's the Gundams themselves that pushes the pilot to the limits XD

I'm actually surprise Amuro didn't get any new Gundam or anything? I guess in the newer generation they started to change this.

It could get boring when using the same suit for 40+ episodes. But the original RX-78 series looks badass!!!

Can't wait to see some more Newtype action!!!
Feb 15, 2015 5:56 PM

Feb 2013
They have got to stop bringing in new characters just to kill them...

I liked Lalah's creepy music.
Mar 8, 2015 2:31 PM
May 2012
Is Mirai a Newtype? She was describing a feeling surrounding the base in such a way that I couldn't help but wonder.
It would be awesome if she was :3

Other than that, this episode wasn't too memorable, except maybe for Sayla and Bright being on good terms with eachother.

May 8, 2015 4:03 PM

Jun 2014
This newtype introduction was a little late. They should gave us a hints earlier in the series that some superhuman exists. Probably Amuro piloting the Gundam wasn't a coincidence?

Looks like Lalah will be the last boss.
Jun 5, 2015 3:00 AM

Mar 2013
Even the Gundam can"t keep up with Amuro's awesomeness
Jul 26, 2015 1:52 AM

Nov 2011
Edit: NEW VIEWERS, DO NOT WATCH THE PREVIEW AT THE END OF EPISODE 40. It contains major spoilers.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I do think the Newtype stuff was foreshadowed enough, but I suppose the transition from hinting and implied use to overt use could have been a bit smoother. Given how much more abrupt certain other developments were that only caused you guys (seemingly?) nominal annoyance, I'm surprised there's so much stink about this development.

Is the modern action hero such a prevalent character that everyone thinks these kinds of reaction times are even remotely believable without some sort of explanation? (Sure, James Bond is awesome, but let's not kid ourselves. The action hero trope has been stretched and exaggerated more and more over time.) Experience and instinct will only take you so far. How could you even explain Amuro's destruction of the nine Doms (in three minutes!) several episodes back without some sort of superhuman factor?

As grounded as this show is in every other aspect, I can't myself to think that providing an explanation for the incredible fighting capabilities Amuro possesses is a bad thing.

Moving back to the episode, Lalah's attack was truly fearsome. I was picking up on some hints that Mirai might be a newtype as well, since she could faintly sense Lalah's "sound".

As for Amuro, I like that when this series started, he was completely dependent on the Gundam's defenses and computation abilities, but now he's so developed that Gundam can't even keep up with him. I do wonder if that module his father gave him would have improved the response time.
TripleSRankJul 26, 2015 3:31 AM
Jan 16, 2016 5:23 PM
Nov 2015
Newtype power unleashed!! Lahlah was epic in the beginning and the other dude shot apart the Guncannon with ease. I feel the next few episodes might get bloody.
May 27, 2016 6:35 AM

Jul 2008
Oh snap, Amuro is too good for the Gundam now.
Jun 22, 2016 6:18 AM

Nov 2011
Start the commentary talking about the thing that fascinated me most of all, namely the examination of Char against Challia Bull, yet another comet of this animated series, he can read between the lines of this episode the real reason for his presence. I will not go into further analysis of Casval speech, because I do not have the skills needed on New Type. It is pleasant to follow, everything else, including yet another armed clash between the Earth Federation and Zeon. The plot is intriguing, because of the different interpretations that give the character of the war they are facing, from what I am aware of how it is useful to know the true intentions of the enemy, in order to better interpret the war. Sure enough, in Amuro-Gundam combination, it is now the first to make a difference, perhaps the change that gave the father to Amuro was necessary at the time? Good question.
However, Casval with his speeches, has earned more points, for me, more and more fascinating character.
Jul 24, 2016 4:22 PM

May 2012
Great episode, I wonder if they can upgrade the gundam to fit Amuro's skills! Let's see what's next!
Oct 13, 2016 7:49 AM

Jun 2013
Great episode that proves Saylas loyalty!
Apr 25, 2017 10:43 AM

Feb 2012
I know the newtype concept gets fleshed out much better in later Gundam iterations, but it is plain confusing in this anime.

Amuro Ray Kill Count:
1 Mobile Armor kill this episode
70 kills total
Aug 2, 2017 5:26 PM

Jul 2016
Another great episode and the quality of the overall product just gets better. I thought the start of the show was very creepy as well. I like it!

This series really took a turn I was totally not expecting, like psychic abilities from these New Types. When I think of Gundam, I never think of psychic powers.

Tremendous show that every anime fan should take a gander at to see the origins of when anime developed. This show has held up so well.
Dec 14, 2017 4:28 PM
Jul 2017
Amuro in full fledged beast mode. Can't wait to see the upgrades.
Feb 5, 2018 8:08 PM

Oct 2012
This NewType stuff is trippy. Seems that Char may have sent Challia Bull and his stache out to show Lalah what she needs to watch out for. Either that or he wanted him outta the way.
Apr 3, 2018 11:59 AM

Nov 2016
Amuro became truly too op,not even even the Gundam can keep up,well that's quite the development.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 19, 2019 8:55 AM

Feb 2017
I didn't expect an old guy to be a Newtype as well. I figured it would only develop in the younger generation. I wonder how Challia received his powers?
Dec 30, 2019 1:38 PM

May 2015
I'm fine with the Newtypes so far, it might seem like a sudden twist but it's better to have some development to the universe even if it was added later on. All things considering, the introduction to the concept was pretty decently done. At least now Amuro isn't op just because he's MC, there's an explanation to it and the ordeal with Gundam not keeping up is really interesting too.
Mar 5, 2020 5:00 AM

May 2018
Even the Gundam cannot keep up with Amuro's psychic powers!
Nov 2, 2020 8:57 PM

Nov 2018
So Amuro basically has observer's haki, really interesting that the Gundam can't keep up with how OP he is becoming, stunning.
Nov 9, 2020 11:52 AM

Aug 2017
At least Bright didn't ask too much to Sayla. I like it by not creating unnecessary drama. But my favourite part is Amuro's abilities have gotten so advanced that even the Gundam can't keep up with him. A nice twist.

And a new Newtype character was just killed in the same episode lol. Maybe if they had given this anime the original 52 episodes.....it would have been better developed since the pacing is too rushed if you ask me.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 8, 2021 9:16 AM

Jul 2017
Bright confronted Sayla in an awkward scene, but it shows that he can lead much better now. Challia was a bit underwhelming. Zeon overall got some development.
Aug 4, 2021 8:29 AM

Oct 2012
Not quite sure about this whole Newtype business. It seems like the old saiyan trap, where everyone who isn't this specific "race" won't be able to keep up in the long run and the most important fights will only be between newtypes. But maybe I'm wrong and they'll handle it well in the other installments. Here it feels fine because it's so close to the end and just an exciting idea.

Not much to say about the episode, this newtype Amuro fought wasn't much of a thread in the end, he went down pretty quick. The Gundam really needs an upgrade though, Amuro is suffering from input lag, lol
May 21, 2023 7:23 PM
Jul 2018
damm amuro is too powerful for the gun dams lol and so much for the new one aswelk dying like that]
also nice sayla is not gonna betray white base
Aug 3, 2023 6:01 AM

Jul 2017
i really like how amuro passed from being saved and dependent by the gundam abilities to being restricted by gundam reaction times
''Touch the darkness inside me''

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

65 by darthtruder »»
Apr 19, 4:54 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 36 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

102 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Apr 15, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - May 26, 2008

79 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Apr 14, 8:36 PM

» Complete Watch order

Grontan - Jan 2

15 by JoniGamer1996 »»
Apr 1, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mell4444 - Mar 25, 2010

53 by T3RCK_Z »»
Mar 12, 6:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.