MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Black★Rock Shooter (OVA) Episode 1 Discussion

Pages (12) -0.6 0.4 [1.4] 2.4 3.4 » ... Last »
Poll: Black★Rock Shooter (OVA) Episode 1 Discussion

07-24-10, 1:54 PM

It started well, great animation and stuff.
But what the heck is that generic slice-of-life high-school crap you see in most series doing here? And with Manabi Straight!-like animation, which looks sweet, but too sweet for me. Plot wasn't all that capturing either.
God, I can't believe I've been trolled twice this season. I'm taking a break.

07-24-10, 1:55 PM

I think all the "school girl" scenes are "past" while BRS is "real time". All the stuff we are seeing with Mato is what happened before she became BRS.

But that's confusing also, since BRS didn't have the scars when she first faced BGS, but when her and Mato "meet", she does have them...

It's pretty obvious Yuu is STRength XD They were both introduced around the same time; and right after STRength jumps off the cliff, Mato gets injured and we meet Yuu. Her actions at the end were suspicious.
And their hairstyles are the same XD
Modified by LadyOrihime, 07-24-10, 2:00 PM

07-24-10, 1:56 PM

I totally forgot this OVA was even coming out x.x

Well, after watching it, it definitely brought up quite a few questions that i'd like answered.

The action scenes were great, and some of the musical pieces were awesome, but overall I think this OVA could have been better

Beautifully drawn backgrounds and animation though :D

Screenshots :D

Modified by Kuro4735, 07-24-10, 9:43 PM

07-24-10, 2:07 PM

They just suckered us into wanting more...I seriously hope there's more episodes or at least some explanation, but overall I think it was enjoyable. I expected a lot of action and explanation of characters and the world, but what I received was a slice-of-life school moe anime... Oh well.

07-24-10, 2:10 PM

Yeah the rush a lot so I kind of also think the school girl scenes is the past, but somehow that feel kind of weird they make like this an OVA and BRS is real time.
How come they just keep fighting without talking to it together? Very confusing here.
Let's wait for more information before we can said anymore.
It will become very sad if it's end like this.

I got also a feeling they will continue with more OVA before getting up with the real anime.
Let's wait. ^^

LadyOrihime said:
I think all the "school girl" scenes are "past" while BRS is "real time". All the stuff we are seeing with Mato is what happened before she became BRS.

But that's confusing also, since BRS didn't have the scars when she first faced BGS, but when her and Mato "meet", she does have them...

It's pretty obvious Yuu is STRength XD They were both introduced around the same time; and right after STRength jumps off the cliff, Mato gets injured and we meet Yuu. Her actions at the end were suspicious.
And their hairstyles are the same XD

ProBlackbird.Wordpress.com - Check out my Blog

07-24-10, 2:14 PM

Maybe they just can't talk in the "other world" and have to settle things with weapons and hugs? LOL!

07-24-10, 2:40 PM

Subs 'should' be out, and is seeding horribly slow. I can't verify until my torrent is done.... 89%....

Using a GIF in your sig? Make sure to read the site & forum guidelines, section II.

07-24-10, 2:53 PM

Nice and touching episode =(

Only 1 episode is too short =/ I expected more episodes ;o;

07-24-10, 2:56 PM

sile said:
Paul said:
Subs 'should' be out, and is seeding horribly slow. I can't verify until my torrent is done.... 89%....

link to torrent pls

Was removed from Nyaatorrents, its a fake. Finished it. Got trolled.

Using a GIF in your sig? Make sure to read the site & forum guidelines, section II.

07-24-10, 3:06 PM

Finally it's here. :3

07-24-10, 3:09 PM

At first, when they showed the girl sleeping in bed and waking up, I swear I was watching K-ON!.

D: For some reason I knew this OVA wasn't going to be "all-that".

07-24-10, 3:22 PM

It was disappointing after this long wait and all the hype. Animation and music are both beautiful, but the storyline wasn't too great to me :(

My take on what happened:

Mato meets Yomi, then they become best friends for the first year of middle school. Come second year, they end up in different classes and Mato ends up hanging out with Yuu more. Yomi gets jealous, then Dead Master uses her emotions to possess her (insert filler info here on why). Yomi goes missing, Mato wants to find her and her emotions attracts BRS (insert more filler info here on why and how) and they become one. All the fight scenes, with the exception of the first one, chronologically take place after the final scene where Mato and BRS merge. In the last fight scene, Mato's emotions for Yomi somehow allows her to break free from being possessed by DM.

Then Yomi and Mato become good friends again, but this time Yuu gets jealous and eventually turns into that other character with two shooters, STR.

Edit: BRS was fighting a different character in the beginning, not DM >_>

That's what I think happened anyways. Anyone who has enough free time to read that, what do you think? A lot of filler stuff was left out, so I wanna see what people think about the storyline.
Modified by FaithoftheFallen, 07-25-10, 1:21 PM

07-24-10, 3:31 PM

FaithoftheFallen said:
It was disappointing after this long wait and all the hype. Animation and music are both beautiful, but the storyline wasn't too great to me :(

In an alternate world, Dead Master and BRS are fighting (insert filler info here on why they're fighting). DM stabs BRS and she gets scarred but lives.

Real world: Mato meets Yomi, then they become best friends for the first year of middle school. Come second year, they end up in different classes and Mato ends up hanging out with Yuu more. Yomi gets jealous, then Dead Master uses her emotions to possess her (insert filler info here on why). Note that in the beginning scene where BRS wasn't scarred, DM has red eyes. However, in the scenes afterwards, her eyes are green, the same as Yomi's. Yomi goes missing, Mato wants to find her and her emotions attracts BRS (insert more filler info here on why and how) and they become one. All the fight scenes, with the exception of the first one, chronologically take place after the final scene where Mato and BRS merge. In the last fight scene, Mato's emotions for Yomi somehow allows her to break free from being possessed by DM.

That's what I think happened anyways. Anyone who has enough free time to read that, what do you think? A lot of filler stuff was left out, so I wanna see what people think about the storyline.

Easy to sum this up.. As a friend has already told me.

Yuri Yandere.

:D

07-24-10, 3:59 PM

I was a little disappointed, I was hoping for a lot more BRS and a lot less school life. I did enjoy it, but eh...It could've been a lot better. I do hope that theres a sequel. It really did feel like a prequel, as mentioned by numerous other people.

Anyway, I feel no contempt to the studio, even though it wasn't what it should've been. If theres more to this, all bad memories of this OVA shall be forgotten.

07-24-10, 4:19 PM

Well the raw was decent. Fight scenes were well done, music was nice. Not really disappointed, as long as there's more coming, which the way it ended I'm pretty sure there will be.

07-24-10, 4:29 PM

Yet another show that doesn't live up to it's hype, but we all saw it coming. Cliché cliché cliché! Nothing more can be said.

07-24-10, 5:49 PM

FaithoftheFallen said:

Mato meets Yomi, then they become best friends for the first year of middle school. Come second year, they end up in different classes and Mato ends up hanging out with Yuu more. Yomi gets jealous, then Dead Master uses her emotions to possess her (insert filler info here on why). However, in the scenes afterwards, her eyes are green, the same as Yomi's. Yomi goes missing, Mato wants to find her and her emotions attracts BRS (insert more filler info here on why and how) and they become one. All the fight scenes, with the exception of the first one, chronologically take place after the final scene where Mato and BRS merge. In the last fight scene, Mato's emotions for Yomi somehow allows her to break free from being possessed by DM.

Then Yomi and Mato become good friends again, but this time Yuu gets jealous and eventually turns into that other character with two shooters, STR.

Congratulations, you got it right. That's exactly what happened. Of course, there will still be people here complaining that they didn't understand the story or whatever.

As far as I'm concerned, Black Rock Shooter=Samurai Jack+randomschoolanime. 7/10. Some more OVAs would be good, but with more action please.

07-24-10, 5:53 PM

I'm guessing there's still no subs around~?

07-24-10, 6:29 PM

As it has been said over and over, subs are out.

Anyways, I enjoyed the show, I'm can't say it was lacking a lot though. Frigging ending made me rage. As in after credits.

Will be making a crap load of GIFS now. BBL.

07-24-10, 7:11 PM

Meh, it didn't live up to what i thought it was gonna be. I don't mind slice of life but how it was cut between that and random action scenes made it feel awkward. I was hoping for a big awesome sword clashing fighting scene with the Black rock shooter song blaring but it wasn't delivered. It was ok but i wouldn't put it on priority watch list.

This will stay a 7/10 for me unless if they come out with a sequel or something to tie this story up.

And i watched this from Nyaatorrents, The 3gig .iso file. it did have a weird fuzziness when characters moved, anybody else get this?

07-24-10, 7:19 PM

There was a happy moment and there was a sad moment, cried a bit but it was overall a good OVA

07-24-10, 7:25 PM

Nothing wrong with the story plot, it's just like they rushing it too much. Well yeah of course they rush so fast that they already in second year.

13 episodes of Black Rock Shooter will be too short to fit all with the story but probably 26 episodes or even 52 episodes to make it more interesting.

SurferDude said:
FaithoftheFallen said:

Mato meets Yomi, then they become best friends for the first year of middle school. Come second year, they end up in different classes and Mato ends up hanging out with Yuu more. Yomi gets jealous, then Dead Master uses her emotions to possess her (insert filler info here on why). However, in the scenes afterwards, her eyes are green, the same as Yomi's. Yomi goes missing, Mato wants to find her and her emotions attracts BRS (insert more filler info here on why and how) and they become one. All the fight scenes, with the exception of the first one, chronologically take place after the final scene where Mato and BRS merge. In the last fight scene, Mato's emotions for Yomi somehow allows her to break free from being possessed by DM.

Congratulations, you got it right. That's exactly what happened. Of course, there will still be people here complaining that they didn't understand the story or whatever.

As far as I'm concerned, Black Rock Shooter=Samurai Jack+randomschoolanime. 7/10. Some more OVAs would be good, but with more action please.

07-24-10, 7:44 PM

Art was nice, music was nice, characters were okay, but the story as a whole was kind of...dull? The OVA wasn't bad, but not as good as I thought it would be.

07-24-10, 8:27 PM

I can't complain i watched it raw an i cant speak Japanese (yet lol) so i could only kinda catch what they were talking about as opposed to what they were really saying but the action scenes well choreographed and fluid, i have no frickin clue what was up with the end but since this was all based on a PV for a Hatsune Miku song, i cant really complain.. and they need to make more

07-24-10, 9:14 PM

sigh should of stuck to my japanese rosetta stone : /

I hate having to wait for subs : (

07-24-10, 9:42 PM

i was expecting more about the long time waiting ova,
I love brs but i can't rate it 10, sorry black rock shooter.
Modified by ReisenU, 07-24-10, 9:46 PM

07-24-10, 9:55 PM

The plot is super bland. Basically, they tried to do a cliche thing that can happen in pretty much any anime and throw in Black Rock Shooter to reinforce it. I'm not a fan of BRS at all but I was disappointed.

If anyone says this is awesome, there are about 300 other anime that are awesome that do the same things.

07-24-10, 10:11 PM

The ED song is what bumped this up from a 7 to an 8 for me. It was good, but could have been better.

07-24-10, 10:38 PM

No Insane Black Rock Shooter! T.T

When the rosario on her chest is taken off, Moka's vampire inner self awakes.

07-24-10, 10:45 PM

im kinda disappointed =/
id been expecting this for a long time and i thought it would be amazing. It was pretty good but the story was kind of bland and by the time it was over i felt like it needed to continue expecially with the after credit part with Yuu....
also i wish they had gone into more detail with the characters such as Black Gold Saw and Strangth, but i guess they did the best they could with an OVA and the animation was really good
i hope they make another!!!!

07-24-10, 10:55 PM

Sad moments, and cool moments in the OVA. I like the music too.
There needs to be a sequel or something though ^^

07-24-10, 11:16 PM

i'm definitely NOT a BRS fan, but i watched the OVA anyways.

i like the last scene (before the credits), "...I am..I am... Black Rock Shooter"

9/10 (it kept me entertained, so i don't mind rating it high)
Modified by hilingcare, 07-24-10, 11:25 PM

07-24-10, 11:19 PM

yeah I'm not impressed by the story : /

hopefully it eventually makes up with good action.

07-24-10, 11:29 PM

Wow that was boring. Not exactly boring but quite disappointing. But fighting scenes were good but really, they should make this into a series. Because at the end it felt like that girl Yuu, is going to be the next enemy. But still, I had high expectations for this because of the epic trailer but it let me down. 6/10. I can still rate it low but hey, there's other OVA's that sucked even more than this.
Modified by nozoris, 07-25-10, 4:51 AM

07-24-10, 11:30 PM

I don't mind if they decide to do one 50min ova and not to do 12 episode long anime. And anyone didin't have say actually there won't be more.

And now about anime. I loved it. Thats it. ^^

Music, scenes and story in this was better than i was expecting, and it is true this left more questions now when i watched it but now i have reason read manga and wait
patiently for more and time when it come here for buy it. And if ppl now try say something about manga like it was great and this ova was crap.

One thing was funny where i laugh much was:
"My name is Mato"
"It's cool name"

In here where i live Mato means Worm :D

And soz about my bad english..

07-24-10, 11:37 PM

It seems as though I'm one of the very few who actually enjoyed the school girl moments most? It took until the end for me to understand who BRS was and why I should bother caring about whether or not she wins against her battle, and when I see two random girls who I know nothing about fighting, I don't care. But once I understood everything, I enjoyed the fight scenes just as much, but by then there was only one left.

07-24-10, 11:41 PM

Seemed more like like a 1st episode, than a full OVA. I hope this will be like KissXSis & have an anime series following the OVA.

Good, but seemed like just the beginning. I want more. A lot more.

That basketball manager's hair looked like it jumped out of Shiki. Very choppy hair style.

I really felt bad for Yomi...it hurts so bad when you have a friend that close and they start to hang out with somebody else & get really close to them.

07-24-10, 11:52 PM

The fuck did I watch?
I was so bored... Not enterained at all.
What the hell?

The trailer was way more enjoyable...

I am disappointed with what I've seen.
I knew from the trailer something like that would not fit in a 50 minute OVA.

ugh.

07-24-10, 11:56 PM

What would make the story more original is if they end up becoming lovers : p

07-24-10, 11:59 PM

It interesting but the whole going back and forth with scenes of BRS and Mato where really annoying and somewhat confusing but I understood it at the end.

By the sounds of it theirs gonna be another ova since we didn't have IBRS. Lets just hope they don't keep delaying it when they start/if they start.

07-24-10, 11:59 PM

cliche characters, nonsensical plot, nothing makes sense. and then at the end everything is explained by

o well atleast the art was nice, im sure the masses will love it and claim its a masterpiece.
Modified by Thirtyfour, 07-25-10, 12:03 AM

07-25-10, 12:15 AM

I liked it, it was easy to understand...so I really don't get why people think its confusing?

Plot-wise I think it was a bit too rushed, it really didn't set the mood right so to speak, the animation was lovely and the music was great as well. I just wish they had gone with an actual series as opposed to a single 50 minute OVA.

It was -good-. Not great, or "OMG AMAZING."

It gets a 7/10 from me.
Modified by RoyalStranger, 07-25-10, 12:18 AM

07-25-10, 12:20 AM

When they said they were making a BRS OVA, I wasn't expecting a 45 minute fucking school story. I feel trolled.

Boring characters and a mind bendingly stupid plot turned this into a snoozefest. I didn't even realize I was watching BRS half the time.

Not to mention the whole thing was just a giant cliche.

I liked the ending song, but that's as far as my praise goes.

07-25-10, 12:21 AM

Good but could've been batter. But I'm not complaining.
I want to see more of the characters though... maybe if they make an anime series but that looks kinda impossible?

07-25-10, 12:25 AM

I liked it - but it rly was weird. If the story is expanded something rly good will happen. I still can't figure out why are there listed chars in BRS that I didn't see in the OVA ?!? This is more like a big previw for a 50 series anime.

07-25-10, 12:45 AM

I braced for the disappointment but it didn’t matter how much prep time I needed, my body was not ready.

I always liked Huke’s design; the feel of the mature and mysterious characters. Sure, they were more “mysterious” due to not having a story but what could possibly fuck it up even more than normal if it was actually animated?- High school moe shit.

I loves ma’ K-on but it didn’t work for me. I don’t give a damn about symbolism and contrast, it couldn’t sell it to me. Hell, I was modeling BRS before I watched it and I almost don’t give a fuck anymore. It’s all about the money but screw this shit including the possibility of a second OVA.

I’m going to make sure when I finish model BRS, she gets the crap beaten out of her and that’s the only positive thing I got from this garbage; yes, positive rage.

07-25-10, 12:46 AM

Could someone tell me why it was cliché? o.o
Except if you think being jealous is cliché.. oO it's a normal reaction..

I have the feeling this ova will be underrated - because as we all know ~> Expectation leads to Disappointment.
If BRS wouldn't be that well known or not known at all untill this OVA aired - I'm sure the ratings would be higher now.
Well, that's how I think..

07-25-10, 12:50 AM

Tricia said:
Could someone tell me why it was cliché? o.o
Except if you think being jealous is cliché.. oO it's a normal reaction..

Do you understand what cliche means?...

07-25-10, 12:55 AM

controlmajortom said:

Do you understand what cliche means?...

I do. The only thing that might be cliché are the human-characters ..

07-25-10, 12:56 AM

I still can't get over the fact that the Black Rock Shooter song was not in there besides a piano version. I honestly expected more from this, even tho I'm not really into all this Black Rock Shooter hype.

Pages (12) -0.6 0.4 [1.4] 2.4 3.4 » ... Last »