Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 24, 2010 8:43 AM

Jan 2010
I'm actually enjoying the pace of this show. Masao is by far the creepiest thing I've ever seen.
Jul 24, 2010 9:07 AM

Apr 2009
I'm still loving the pace, it's perfect. This is another great episode, we're introduced to the residents of the house on the hill and they don't disappoint, especially the creepy little girl. Masao's character design is off putting to say the least. I wouldn't really mind him except his voice and having a tantrum and running off all the time are extremely annoying, hopefully he'll die.
Jul 24, 2010 9:53 AM

Feb 2009
Getting better now. Masao is an eyesore and should die, nuff said. As I have already been spoiled last week, those marks on Nao are truly a sign of what are involved. But that's a weird place though. And we finally saw the mysterious family. I don't like the mother and Sunako's eyes but Sunako is interesting. I've been waiting for Takagi Wataru's character of Tatsumi since episode 1 and I'm disappointed a bit here. Hope he gets more involved with the story. I'm looking forward to this show every week now.
Jul 24, 2010 10:42 AM

Apr 2010
taim said:
clannad4ever said:
can someone remind me why this has 7.4 and Highschool of the tits has 8.4?

I think you answered your own question. Shiki has little fanservice. The only prominent service-y part in ep 3 was the nurse changing into her uniform. On comparison, Left4Highschool's nurse is about 95% fanservice. That series is more ecchi than horror. Besides, zombies aren't scary since Plants vs Zombies got published. :P

Okay, back to Shiki.

The creepiest part is still that weird soundtrack when Natsuno feels stalked by something. The eyes are creepy only in OP/ED sequences, they don't really deliver the impact as well with the gradient and stuff in the episodes.

Crazy hair is crazy. Also, I forgot Gackt was starring in Shiki. Nice one, Noitamina.

I love the pacing and I'm glad there isn't even one TRULY likeable character (okay, maybe Mutou). I couldn't stand Higurashi because I wanted to protect Keichii from harm, but in Shiki? I'm eagerly waiting for all of them to succumb to madness and kill everyone in the village. :D
HOTD is also more action based while Shiki is very psychological which draws different audiences.
HOTD has been very violent from the start and there has not been a episode yet where you didn't see any blood flying around.
While Shiki is slowly building up end getting more creepy per episode, but there have not been any violent scenes yet.

HOTD tends to draw in a audience which cares more about blood flying around and brains being smashed in then a actual story line.
While Shiki tends to have a audience who want a nice creepy story.

Personally i prefer Shiki the slow creepy build it generally makes you more aware of what's happening and delivers it's fear very well. (Actually i love the way Shiki is going)
While there hasn't been a scene in HOTD yet that actually made me feel some form of fear.

If i have to compare them to other Anime i would say HOTD is similar to Elfen Lied.
And Shiki more to Ghost Hunt.
Jul 24, 2010 10:50 AM

Sep 2009
Aversa said:
If i have to compare them to other Anime i would say HOTD is similar to Elfen Lied.And Shiki more to Ghost Hunt.
Shiki is definitely more creepier than Ghost hunt..even with the 3 episode experience.
Jul 24, 2010 11:07 AM
Jun 2010
WTF

Someone... please explain this image. Is this suppose to be "real" or the michael jackson looking guy's imagination ?

Things are getting creepier. The female newcomers eyes are scary.

Also, people should stop talking about HOTD in each of the summer 2010's show, both Shiki and HOTD are great in their own way.

Jul 24, 2010 11:32 AM

Jun 2010
holypoop said:
Th-th-th-th.. THAT CREEPY PSYCHO WITH THAT CREEPY FACE!! OMFG!! *hides under bed* WHYYY GOD WHYYYY DID YOU MAKE THAT SCARY LOOKING BOY?!

oh... my.. GOOOOD *screams*
OFT
Jul 24, 2010 12:11 PM

Mar 2008
Perhaps those strange guys are not vampires, but the demons that feed on the life energy. The victim before death looked as if they had no strength to live

but really I don't know.
The only sure thing is that they are not ordinary people.

Jul 24, 2010 12:11 PM

Dec 2008
SoulSlayerShika said:
Never invite a vampire into your house, I'm pretty sure thats a golden rule somewhere? Could be wrong, just saying.

Haha, exactly. Stop being so damn friendly.

Although I really like this aspect. It seems like they're going after the old school vampire rules, and that makes this anime that much better.

It's going to take me a bit to get used to the character styles, though. One thing that's nice about them, however, is that even though they're introducing a ton of characters at once, the designs are so unique that they're easy to identify. I really like the pacing, too.

darkerealm said:
I hope Mutou doesn't die. He's quite nice.

AAah, but that's why he's going to get it. He's just too nice :(
Jul 24, 2010 12:42 PM

Jan 2010
Aversa said:

If i have to compare them to other Anime i would say HOTD is similar to Elfen Lied.
And Shiki more to Ghost Hunt.

That's to be expected, since Ghost Hunt and Shiki have the same author.
This is by far my favorite series of this season, I'm loving the creepy atmosphere, and the pace of the show fits it perfectly.
Jul 24, 2010 12:47 PM

May 2010
Sunako is kawaii when angry :D

in this episode, you will die horribly... *laughs just as shion*
lightness vs. darkness
Nani mo kamo wo hoshigatteita Mayoeru mono no chikai
Mada miru sekai o tsukuridasu koto Kuchi hateteiku
Jul 24, 2010 1:01 PM

Mar 2010
Gee, 3 episodes in and people are still bothered by the character-designs? Ok, I can understand Masao because he's a creepy mofo, but now it's starting to get repetitive. You guys should be used to it by the time the series ends, hopefully :P

And I actually like the way they did Sunako's and her mother's eyes. I don't see it as cheap at all.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one who could see the potential bromance developing later on between Tohru & Natsuno *shot*
Great episode though.
Jul 24, 2010 1:09 PM

Jan 2009
Linalee-Stratos said:
Aversa said:
If i have to compare them to other Anime i would say HOTD is similar to Elfen Lied.And Shiki more to Ghost Hunt.
Shiki is definitely more creepier than Ghost hunt..even with the 3 episode experience.

yeah, right. that's because, while Ghost Hunt was made for young girls, Shiki is written for grown-ups. So, this story is really scaring and grave. at the same time, I guess realistic psychological descriptions are similar to Twelve-Kingdoms.

and so, this is the very anime that I have been wanting. and I think this is a really unique anime, and I can't just compare this to other animes.

Jul 24, 2010 1:40 PM

Aug 2009
I... really don't know what to think of this show.

I have mixed feelings about this episode. Some parts were highly enjoyable, but other parts were just plain silly and laughably bad.

Also, dat hair. It looks fucking lame. Their hair defies grafity, fack year.
Jul 24, 2010 2:26 PM

Dec 2008
Masao is a creepy transvestite...I hope he dies next.
None of the villagers have noticed the strange eyes of their new residents?
I don't think Nasao is human.
They really need to do something about the hair of these characters...it's all just...odd!!
Jul 24, 2010 3:53 PM

Apr 2009
I liked the gay in this episode. Don't die, Tohru!
Jul 24, 2010 4:36 PM

Jan 2010
4 out of 5: Liked it (your vote)
Jul 24, 2010 4:36 PM

Jul 2009
I love this anime. This is actually really creepy and that isn't something I've seen an anime do apart from Higurashi, but that was a different type of sadistic creepy where as this plays more on the horror of vampires.

This and Occult are winners this season so far.
Jul 24, 2010 5:26 PM

Aug 2009
Masao.... is CREEPY... :S in a VERY intense way... i got fuckin scared in this episode cause of him. WTF is wrong?! he is a psychopath and a gay...

I have started liking Natsuno even more...
And Tohru I hope you won't die! though i'm afraid sth might happen to him... maybe to shake up Natsuno a bit.. cause for now he looks so indifferent.

Those newcomers look SO epicly differnt that I wonder why anyone hasn't noticed sth strange about them... especially their eyes... wtf?? i thought they had their eylids closed or sth at first. lol it just screams WRONG all the way...
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
Jul 24, 2010 5:55 PM

Jun 2009
Maso is creepy as hell. Looks, voice, words, all of it. His sister in law is kawaii though.

Natsuko and Tohru turning BL or something?

Lol, people sure love Gackt. I'm neutral.

And the bite mark!!!. Vampires make appearance! I first heard the rule 'Vampires can't enter someone's house until invited' in Princess Ressurection. Seems like that's what's going on here. People are inviting them in.

no preview? WTFZOR

oh, 100th post? yay!
Sprite_CokeJul 24, 2010 6:15 PM
Jul 24, 2010 6:21 PM

Apr 2010
I didn't hate the last two episodes, but this one held my attention much more than they did. The first and second episodes had parts that bored me to tears, but I thought this one was great.

One thing I don't like however, is Masao, in terms of personality and character design. As many have stated, that guy is just...creepy ;_; It was a hard to look at him, especially during that scene where he was talking to his sister-in-law from around the corner of the wall. And what the heck was with his shoulder? The scene where he freaks out at Natsuno was weird (just like all of Masao's other scenes really, and Masao himself :P). Hopefully he has an unfortunate meeting with the Kirishiki's soon. He is just repulsive, in so many ways >_>

I'm liking Natsuno more. His (only) friend Tohru is kind of cool too. I hope they live. Tohru is nice...a little too nice. I hope that doesn't lead to his death, though there may not be much hope, since he's already invited that guy with the cat-ears-hair to his house.

And finally, the full introduction of the Kirishiki family. Though I'm used to the character design by now - though that doesn't change the fact that it's bad - I actually like the way the family looks. Strangely beautiful. I also loved the eyes the daughter and mother had.

This was a good episode, but there were a couple of moments that just struck me as silly... mainly Sunako giggling and hopping down the shrine stairs (trying a bit too hard to be the creepy child?), and "That's why I always carry a backscratcher." lol.

Also, I'm happy to see English lyrics for the opening song. The lyrics are as awesome as the tune~ And I wish there was a preview at the end of these episodes. Oh well.

Hope next week's episode is as good as this one :3
Jul 24, 2010 7:28 PM

Mar 2009
that toru guy is gay, right?
Jul 24, 2010 7:28 PM

Nov 2007
Ugh, it's so hard to get past the crazy-ass character designs: that creepy guy introduced this ep, the nurse's fucked up stiff yet reality-defying hair, the catguy with his two sets of ears, the vampire family and their blackhole eyes. It's awful. D:

Anyway, I don't understand the creepy guy's motivation at all. Why does he hate his sister-in-law? Because she said she didn't know him well enough yet to say whether or not she liked him? WHAT THE FUCK? How fucking childish can you be. And why does he hate Natsuno? If anything, he should be hated for the insensitive things he says (like being excited over people's deaths and all that).

I do like Tohru, though; his personality and character design are the best (and the most normal). Plus some Tohru/Natsuno action would be great. XD I hope he doesn't get killed off immediately next ep, although it's looking likely. :/

God I hope this gets better, otherwise I'll be dropping it.
yamakasiJul 24, 2010 7:41 PM
Jul 24, 2010 8:48 PM

Jun 2009
UnknownFact said:
I am not sure.
I understand, so when they say can I come by later, they are looking for the invitation to drink your blood. Since it is such a sweet town and everyone asks, them to come over.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jul 25, 2010 12:26 AM

Jul 2007
This show is the fucking bomb.
Jul 25, 2010 12:36 AM

Feb 2010
digiboy123 said:
This show is the fucking bomb.

agreed. >:D
Jul 25, 2010 3:28 AM

Feb 2010
sunako and her parents looks even creepy then in the manga.
Jul 25, 2010 6:18 AM

Apr 2008
I was fine with it at first, but this episode I did get bored with the pacing. I'm plenty fond of psychological series, but there just isn't much to establish here. The show is just dancing around the completely obvious fact that they're vampires. Okay, maybe they're not and it's just a complete misdirect, but the point has been made one way or another and making it a few more times isn't helping. I guess they're trying to emulate the feeling of mystery that the villagers are having, but I'd like something that is actually mysterious to me too.

We did get a few sort of interesting developments this episode. The little girl showed off some probable immortality and the others seemed to imply they have to be invited in, people don't notice the evil eyes, Natsuno's utterly bland personality lures in a more interesting family, and our priest gets an unhealthy injection of darkness.

Masao is just sort of cartoonishly messed up. It doesn't sit well with me, though maybe they can play it off properly as out and out psychotic. The shoulder swirl seemed to imply that.

The most interesting thing going on in my view is Natsuno's midnight stalker. Even if it is the obvious reason, the victims rising again in some form still makes for fun.

As for character designs, I still like the oddity (Akagi and Kaiji fan here), but Ritsuko's hair when she was changing into the nurse's uniform just struck me with how disgusting it looked.

Still my favorite of the season, even if it's starting to wear on me how they aren't deepening the mystery and instead just circling it. Granted, favorite of this season says very little.
Jul 25, 2010 6:27 AM
Aug 2007
Yep yep... the art sometimes is really weird lol xD

But it looks like the story gets more interesting now
Jul 25, 2010 7:11 AM

Apr 2010
Suzune-chan said:
UnknownFact said:
I am not sure.
I understand, so when they say can I come by later, they are looking for the invitation to drink your blood. Since it is such a sweet town and everyone asks, them to come over.

Because according to tradition, vampires have to be asked over to enter someone's house, they can't just come by themselves. I thought it was brilliant that the creators remembered that!

Does anyone else think there's something terribly wrong with Masao? Apart from looking creepy and acting like a psycho, in that scene when he's scaring his soon-to-be sister in law, aren't there horn-shaped things coming out of his back? I just want to clear this up.

Awesome episode. I like Tohru a lot, so I hope nothing happens to him... but unfortunately I think it will. Natsuno needs something to trigger him, something to make him investigate what's going on in that castle.
Jul 25, 2010 7:11 AM

Jan 2009
Wat.
Wat O.o ..the crap? What the heck is that Masao thing? o.O Please get rid of it, quickly! Seriously, what a creep.
Anyway, that's one pair of eccentric vampires.
And seriously, those hair styles xD. (Especially the nurse.)
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 25, 2010 7:27 AM

Aug 2009
*tries to stop BL radar from going off*
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Jul 25, 2010 8:08 AM
Jun 2008
UnknownFact said:
If only he got a breast then he would look like a skinny grandma with a bad attitude ....

This series is full of mystery but yet I dunno whether I can still keep up liking this series before the mystery is solved. (coughing blood*%$)
Jul 25, 2010 8:59 AM
Jan 2009
Yeah, Misao is creepy.

Sunako is cute, I like her so far; he mother has a weird hair and creepy eyes, her father looks like one of those creepy friendly guys. Is that other guy the son?

At least the doc finally saw the bite marks. When will the victims wake up and become shiki?

This show keeps me looking for answers and waiting to see who dies next.
Jul 25, 2010 11:11 AM
Jul 2009
Even though I'm quite enjoying it and it creeps me out, three things really piss me off about this series;

1. That Motou Michael-Jackson guy, he's messed up, annoying and his voice makes me want to kill myself. v.v
2. How, evn though I do like him, the doctor is stupidly not realising that vampires are causing all the deaths, surely it would at least cross his mind?! Bite marks (insect bites, WTF?), 'anemia' (loss of blood), new people moving in to town in the middle of the night just before all this started with messed up eyes (the females, at least) and hair (but so do most people in this series) and lots of people dying in a short time for no apparent reason.
3. The way it is so blatantly like Higurashi, a clever little girl with the same hair, age and creepiness, the way it is set in a small isolated country-side village, all the deaths/horror, the doctor and nurse etc. Sorry if you think I'm being stupid, but it's what I think.

Sorry for the mini-rant, but I needed to get that off my chest. :P I think the nurse or purple-hair guy's friend (bad memory) will go next
Jul 25, 2010 11:21 AM

Jul 2009
i0taku said:

2. How, evn though I do like him, the doctor is stupidly not realising that vampires are causing all the deaths, surely it would at least cross his mind?! Bite marks (insect bites, WTF?), 'anemia' (loss of blood), new people moving in to town in the middle of the night just before all this started with messed up eyes (the females, at least) and hair (but so do most people in this series) and lots of people dying in a short time for no apparent reason.

Sorry, but this point is a little bit void and silly. Vampires would cross his mind - If he was a nutcase and wanted to look like an idiot infront of his workmates. No matter how you look at it vampires are fantasy and people don't just "Believe" in fantasy. There are so many medical problems in the world that he could probably end up finding one giving the same symptoms.

He isn't "Stupid", in fact he is trying to narrow it all down. We're 3 episodes in and tbh it would be better if they realized a little later on so we can keep the suspense and mystery going. To say the least, WE know they're vampires (Because we're looking at it as fantasy media), surely thats the important thing.

Anyway, I don't think you're being stupid just a little quick to pass judgement. It does have a Higurashi feel to it but there isn't anything wrong with that, Higurashi was good! It nailed atmosphere and sadistic horror. If anything more anime need to be like Higurashi.
Jul 25, 2010 12:00 PM

Jan 2009
i0taku said:
How, evn though I do like him, the doctor is stupidly not realising that vampires are causing all the deaths, surely it would at least cross his mind?! Bite marks (insect bites, WTF?), 'anemia' (loss of blood), new people moving in to town in the middle of the night just before all this started with messed up eyes (the females, at least) and hair (but so do most people in this series) and lots of people dying in a short time for no apparent reason.

firstly, I guess a sane doctor would never conceive of those kind of monsters. he is living in the commonsensical world.
and this is not mentioned yet though (so don't read if you don't want to know)

and as to the monstrous hairstyles and the big dark pupils, I think, are just descriptions to magnify their ominousness and mysteriousness.
of course, there is no people like them doubtlessly. but I thought, Manga or Anime are those kind of things. there's no pink-haired girls or no that big-eyed girls in reality. I mean, "just never mind"
Hana-keiJul 25, 2010 2:29 PM
Jul 25, 2010 12:30 PM

Aug 2009
Shiki is turning out to be one of my favorite series of the summer. People seem to not like the art and pace, but neither really bother me. The art is a little odd, with the crazy hair and everything. But it's not bad. And even if it were, the insane characters and the creepy/mysterious feel to the anime make up for it ten times over.

And Mutou is as good as dead. Unfortunately.
Jul 25, 2010 12:46 PM

Sep 2009
UnknownFact said:

Ofcourse, just being nice to/being friends with a same sex entity makes oneself gay.
Jul 25, 2010 2:00 PM

Jan 2010
damn, those vampire's eyes are scary.. o_o
holypoop said:
Th-th-th-th.. THAT CREEPY PSYCHO WITH THAT CREEPY FACE!! OMFG!! *hides under bed* WHYYY GOD WHYYYY DID YOU MAKE THAT SCARY LOOKING BOY?!

oh... my.. GOOOOD *screams*
this is scary too
Jul 25, 2010 2:23 PM

Jun 2009
Linalee-Stratos said:
UnknownFact said:

Ofcourse, just being nice to/being friends with a same sex entity makes oneself gay.

Believe me, even you will find him pretty gay.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Jul 25, 2010 2:30 PM
Dec 2009
I''m truly a fan of this man and all so don't blame me but...

MICHAEL JACKSOOOOOOOON!
Jul 25, 2010 3:27 PM

Feb 2009
Hokotoro said:
I''m truly a fan of this man and all so don't blame me but...

MICHAEL JACKSOOOOOOOON!

lol messed up
Jul 25, 2010 3:29 PM

Apr 2009
Oh crap, Masao is just so creepy xD
Liking it so far.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jul 25, 2010 3:54 PM

Mar 2010
Three more young victims introduced. What is up with the hair in this show anyway?! And the female Kirishiki's eyes?

That Masao kid is creepy. Do you think it's the writer's intention to make the characters unlikable so we won't care when they're killed?
Jul 25, 2010 3:58 PM
Dec 2009
dacak said:

lol messed up

Srsly, that's the first thing I've had on my mind after seeing this anorectic kid.
Jul 25, 2010 4:49 PM
Nov 2008
This is starting to get interesting. :D
Jul 25, 2010 5:28 PM

Jul 2009
Masoa is beyond creepy, a psyco with such an odd appearance, he'll put any vampire to shame.:P
Funny how he made remarks about Natsuno lacking feelings.

The nurses hair was 100% ridiculous; I have seen plenty of odd anime hair-do's, yet this tops the list, when in the car, her hair appeared short and looked good.

The supernatural couple...
I don't know what I'd do if they confronted me; they're outright dodgy, yet so pleasant and I have a problem ignoring people = I'd be done for!

The little girl is like Claudia from Interview with a Vampire; much older than she appears, possibly rules the roost.
Who's creepier; the little girl, or Masoa?

Mutou was funny; "I'm going out to buy a drink" (late at night), doesn't he have running water?

Jul 25, 2010 5:48 PM

Sep 2009
seizonsha said:
Linalee-Stratos said:
UnknownFact said:

Believe me, even you will find him pretty gay.
Why? Even if it is a spoiler, I want to know.
Jul 25, 2010 7:57 PM

Aug 2008
Nooooo Mutou, nooooo! You're gonna diiee.

God, this anime is starting to creep me out, and i'm loving every minute of it.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shiki Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Dec 30, 2010

958 by mairyland »»
Apr 10, 11:14 AM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Dec 9, 2010

202 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 5:46 PM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Dec 2, 2010

312 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 5:17 PM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Nov 25, 2010

226 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Nuzuky - Oct 14, 2010

245 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 12:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.