MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Shiki Episode 3 Discussion

Pages (4) -0.6 0.4 [1.4] 2.4 3.4 » ... Last »
Poll: Shiki Episode 3 Discussion

07-23-10, 9:51 PM

My god, why did it take so long for me to realize that Ritsuko is quite gorgeous? She's almost as lovely as a pale Megumi. Sunako's eyes are very captivating also. With all this, I think I can turn a blind eye to Masao.

So why did a dying Nao not look as great as Megumi?

07-23-10, 9:54 PM
Forum Moderator
Where did you find this? I can't find it this week.

07-23-10, 10:03 PM

That creepy dude was just, UH! that would have to be the UGLIEST and CREEPIEST anime character in the history of the world.

theres something about this anime, its just so damn good *v*b

i like the blond guy, natsuno, the doctor, the monk and the green haired nurse :D if any of them die....i think i may cry ;~;

and the little vampire girl also so kawaii~! :3

07-23-10, 10:13 PM

Holy crap. What is up with Masao's character design? His eyes are... far far creepier than any of those of that vampire family's. Seriously, wtf man. It doesn't help that he's creepy as hell. He's such an unpleasant... *shudders* thing you just want to get rid of... like a centipede or cockroach.

I'm sad for the Tohru guy. He has death flags set up around him. So sad that he'll probably die in the next episode or so.

Also, I have a pretty decent tolerance to unique and strange character designs and art styles, but these just bother me for some reason. The eyes and hair especially. I dislike how... glowy and circular the pupils are. They look like shiny rings stuck into their eyes or something.
Modified by z-pak, 07-23-10, 10:24 PM

07-23-10, 10:47 PM

Never invite a vampire into your house, I'm pretty sure thats a golden rule somewhere? Could be wrong, just saying.

07-23-10, 11:49 PM

Okay, so this is obviously about vampires. Anyone notice the bit about Cain and Abel? I guess that confirms it.

Anyway, why don't those villagers notice that the Kirishikis GLOW IN THE DARK? You know, if the creepy eyes didn't give it away.

And on the subject of creepy eyes... Masao... Just Masao. I hope to God he's the next to die.

This Anime is going at an extremely slow pace. I don't know how they plan on adapting the entire light novel in 22 episodes, especially since the manga is still ongoing as well.

I really like this Anime though. I love intricate plots with lots of characters, even if it's nearly impossible to keep track of them all.

07-24-10, 12:19 AM

I LOVE the slow pace. If you think about it... it's completely necessary. We're getting to know all the characters... their flaws... friendships... personalities and how this town works.

Excellent episode. Insanely creepy without any actual violence/blood.

Oh.. and Masao is is.... ::shudders:: spooky. Looks like Marilyn Manson as a teenager.

07-24-10, 12:46 AM

I love the anime so far , they really made Sunako perfectly creepy <3.
Also Masao was as childish and stupid as in the manga, but made me laugh like hell .

Damn that Kanemasas !

07-24-10, 2:19 AM

This is the scariest shit i ever saw.

Ohh!! the horror, he makes the vampires look innocent. What is that? A tranvesti, a cockroach, the phantom of the opera, maybe the killer from the scream movies? KILL IT, KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!

BakaOnna said:
Holy crap. What is up with Masao's character design? His eyes are... far far creepier than any of those of that vampire family's. Seriously, wtf man. It doesn't help that he's creepy as hell. He's such an unpleasant... *shudders* thing you just want to get rid of... like a centipede or cockroach.

Hahaha! perfect description there.

Until now the hair didn't bother me as much as other people but i have to admit after seeing the vampire dads hair i got annoyed too. That was just ridiculous.

SoulSlayerShika said:
Never invite a vampire into your house, I'm pretty sure thats a golden rule somewhere? Could be wrong, just saying.

Am pretty sure you are right on the money there. They really seem to need an invitation to come in your home at night. That's why they go around getting into smalltalk until they get an invitation.

07-24-10, 2:46 AM

holypoop said:
Th-th-th-th.. THAT CREEPY PSYCHO WITH THAT CREEPY FACE!! OMFG!! *hides under bed* WHYYY GOD WHYYYY DID YOU MAKE THAT SCARY LOOKING BOY?!

oh... my.. GOOOOD *screams*

this might be the ugliest mofo i've ever seen in an anime O.o,and i have the feeling he won't die too soon :\

can someone remind me why this has 7.4 and Highschool of the tits has 8.4?

5/5,it's really entertaining,and don't forget,this is a PSYCHOLOGYCAL anime,it needs some plot,not like hotd
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)

07-24-10, 3:04 AM

clannad4ever said:

I think you answered your own question. Shiki has little fanservice. The only prominent service-y part in ep 3 was the nurse changing into her uniform. On comparison, Left4Highschool's nurse is about 95% fanservice. That series is more ecchi than horror. Besides, zombies aren't scary since Plants vs Zombies got published. :P

Okay, back to Shiki.

The creepiest part is still that weird soundtrack when Natsuno feels stalked by something. The eyes are creepy only in OP/ED sequences, they don't really deliver the impact as well with the gradient and stuff in the episodes.

Crazy hair is crazy. Also, I forgot Gackt was starring in Shiki. Nice one, Noitamina.

I love the pacing and I'm glad there isn't even one TRULY likeable character (okay, maybe Mutou). I couldn't stand Higurashi because I wanted to protect Keichii from harm, but in Shiki? I'm eagerly waiting for all of them to succumb to madness and kill everyone in the village. :D
Modified by taim, 07-24-10, 3:08 AM

07-24-10, 3:58 AM

The weird guy with the black hair & lipgloss is literary the creepiest character I have ever seen.

The subs that I watched, when it was talking about that dude, they italicized him, like it was a shocker. It made me smile. Epic Win!!!

The hair keeps getting stranger & stranger...

07-24-10, 4:08 AM

taim said:
clannad4ever said:

I think you answered your own question. Shiki has little fanservice. The only prominent service-y part in ep 3 was the nurse changing into her uniform. On comparison, Left4Highschool's nurse is about 95% fanservice. That series is more ecchi than horror. Besides, zombies aren't scary since Plants vs Zombies got published. :P

Okay, back to Shiki.

The creepiest part is still that weird soundtrack when Natsuno feels stalked by something. The eyes are creepy only in OP/ED sequences, they don't really deliver the impact as well with the gradient and stuff in the episodes.

Crazy hair is crazy. Also, I forgot Gackt was starring in Shiki. Nice one, Noitamina.

I love the pacing and I'm glad there isn't even one TRULY likeable character (okay, maybe Mutou). I couldn't stand Higurashi because I wanted to protect Keichii from harm, but in Shiki? I'm eagerly waiting for all of them to succumb to madness and kill everyone in the village. :D

LOL I love Plants vs Zombies! 8D
And lol, yeah the zombies in HOTD really remind me of Plants vs Zombies. Last episode I found myself thinking; Don't bother getting all panicky, just plant some potato mines and get the hell out of there. >.>

About Shiki:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TOHRU-CHAAAN! ;____;
Everyone knows not to invite a vampire over right? Especially not in a series that follows the rule that vampires cannot enter yout mansion unless you invite them in.

And dude are those guys blind? Didn't anyone notice the weird eyes Sunako-chan and her mother have? >.>
I already love Sunako though. I just have a weak spot for evil loli's, and she was SO adorable. I'm starting to like Natsuno more and more too, and I SPOTTED A BL MOMENT! 8D Tohru x Natsuno anyone? =D

Anyway, I liked Tohru. ;w; Save him, someone! I don't want him to die so soon. TTwTT

07-24-10, 4:12 AM

I'm not enjoying the series as much as I thought I would however since the "family" have now started to make their odd appearances - hopefully it will keep my interest. I'm not so bothered about the hair, i'm liking the art as its something different from what I usually see.

I'm also glad of the fact that the main character isn't likeable, since to me it makes him slightly more interesting. I was having a weird thought too that it would be weird if he had died and then came back alive alongside Megumi. However from the opening i'm guessing it will be a while yet till he dies if he does.

He creeps me out too...

07-24-10, 4:14 AM

This is one of those series I wish I hadnt started watching until it was finished. I feel the pacing is correct for the atmosphere they are trying to express but it leaves me frustrated having to wait another week to pick up on it, and by then the feeling of unease instilled from watching the previous episode has dulled.

Definitely sticking with this to see where it goes, but ultimately I might wait a while and let a few episodes stack up... if I can hold off ;)

07-24-10, 5:44 AM

I don't know why people keep saying things like: oh my gosh, pace of this show is terribly slow, it's boring, blah blah blah. You knew from since episode that this won't be like some OTHER new anime (yes, I am looking at you, Highschool ofthe Dead).
In my opinion is pacing great, because (as I and many others said before) it helps build atmosphere. I wouldn't be enjoying this as much as I do without that.
Also, complaining all the time about art is meaningless. Yes, art is quite strange, but unique at the same time (and you knew since first episode about this, too, yet you have to complain).

OK, about this episode:

Masao is absolutely terrifying. They must dispose of him somehow... Yet I want to see him more for the sake of lulz :D Natsuno is as emo as ever while Sunako is cute and mysterious... Hmm, she is fond of books, I would want her as my little sister :) Or maybe not. I wonder what's up with priest, why did he try to kill himself.
I want Tohru-chan as my neighbor, that would be sweet :D
Also, I was quite intrigued when Sunako said to priest (forgot his name, lol) that her father moved into village because of his essay, where he wrote that Sotoba is village surrounded by death. Did he mean those strange "coffin trees?" :D

07-24-10, 6:10 AM

I just can not stand these Digimon-like hairstyles. So far I liked this anime, it looks very realistic, but God, why they needed to make the hair looking like that?

07-24-10, 6:11 AM

I hope Mutou doesn't die. He's quite nice.

07-24-10, 6:52 AM

I like the pacing. Anyways, I hope the family says "lets bite that annoying paranoid freak next." I was sort of repulsed the second i saw him; they did a good job of rendering him quite differently from the others.
Megumi preserves and stalks even through death it seems? Wonder if Natsuno really can be the protagonist if right now he is only a target.

07-24-10, 7:09 AM

iKaity said:
I also don't understand why the word vampire hasn't crossed any of their minds. I realize that they think they don't exist or what not, but wouldn't you think that for even a second.. even if you shot it down right after? I'm just confused..
Firstly there were no signs of bite marks except the victim shown in this episode and in a normal rational world epidemic and 'medical reasons' sounds more sensible than some fantasy creature.

Masao is just creepy.

I guess the people from Kanemasama place interacts with the village people before attacking so that they invite them in their houses, as classic vampires cannot enter without invitation. Ofcourse I could be wrong here.

07-24-10, 8:22 AM

3 eps and still don't know what actually happen...
but,,I love this anime art style so I'll continue to watch this..

07-24-10, 8:43 AM

I'm actually enjoying the pace of this show. Masao is by far the creepiest thing I've ever seen.

07-24-10, 9:07 AM

I'm still loving the pace, it's perfect. This is another great episode, we're introduced to the residents of the house on the hill and they don't disappoint, especially the creepy little girl. Masao's character design is off putting to say the least. I wouldn't really mind him except his voice and having a tantrum and running off all the time are extremely annoying, hopefully he'll die.

07-24-10, 9:53 AM

Getting better now. Masao is an eyesore and should die, nuff said. As I have already been spoiled last week, those marks on Nao are truly a sign of what are involved. But that's a weird place though. And we finally saw the mysterious family. I don't like the mother and Sunako's eyes but Sunako is interesting. I've been waiting for Takagi Wataru's character of Tatsumi since episode 1 and I'm disappointed a bit here. Hope he gets more involved with the story. I'm looking forward to this show every week now.

07-24-10, 10:42 AM
Forum Moderator
taim said:
clannad4ever said:

Okay, back to Shiki.

HOTD is also more action based while Shiki is very psychological which draws different audiences.
HOTD has been very violent from the start and there has not been a episode yet where you didn't see any blood flying around.
While Shiki is slowly building up end getting more creepy per episode, but there have not been any violent scenes yet.

HOTD tends to draw in a audience which cares more about blood flying around and brains being smashed in then a actual story line.
While Shiki tends to have a audience who want a nice creepy story.

Personally i prefer Shiki the slow creepy build it generally makes you more aware of what's happening and delivers it's fear very well. (Actually i love the way Shiki is going)
While there hasn't been a scene in HOTD yet that actually made me feel some form of fear.

If i have to compare them to other Anime i would say HOTD is similar to Elfen Lied.
And Shiki more to Ghost Hunt.

07-24-10, 10:50 AM

Aversa said:
If i have to compare them to other Anime i would say HOTD is similar to Elfen Lied.And Shiki more to Ghost Hunt.
Shiki is definitely more creepier than Ghost hunt..even with the 3 episode experience.

07-24-10, 11:07 AM

WTF

Someone... please explain this image. Is this suppose to be "real" or the michael jackson looking guy's imagination ?

Things are getting creepier. The female newcomers eyes are scary.

Also, people should stop talking about HOTD in each of the summer 2010's show, both Shiki and HOTD are great in their own way.

07-24-10, 11:32 AM

holypoop said:
Th-th-th-th.. THAT CREEPY PSYCHO WITH THAT CREEPY FACE!! OMFG!! *hides under bed* WHYYY GOD WHYYYY DID YOU MAKE THAT SCARY LOOKING BOY?!

oh... my.. GOOOOD *screams*
OFT

07-24-10, 12:11 PM

Perhaps those strange guys are not vampires, but the demons that feed on the life energy. The victim before death looked as if they had no strength to live

but really I don't know.
The only sure thing is that they are not ordinary people.

07-24-10, 12:11 PM

SoulSlayerShika said:

Haha, exactly. Stop being so damn friendly.

Although I really like this aspect. It seems like they're going after the old school vampire rules, and that makes this anime that much better.

It's going to take me a bit to get used to the character styles, though. One thing that's nice about them, however, is that even though they're introducing a ton of characters at once, the designs are so unique that they're easy to identify. I really like the pacing, too.

darkerealm said:
I hope Mutou doesn't die. He's quite nice.

AAah, but that's why he's going to get it. He's just too nice :(

07-24-10, 12:42 PM

Aversa said:

If i have to compare them to other Anime i would say HOTD is similar to Elfen Lied.
And Shiki more to Ghost Hunt.

That's to be expected, since Ghost Hunt and Shiki have the same author.
This is by far my favorite series of this season, I'm loving the creepy atmosphere, and the pace of the show fits it perfectly.

07-24-10, 12:47 PM

Sunako is kawaii when angry :D

in this episode, you will die horribly... *laughs just as shion*
lightness vs. darkness
Nani mo kamo wo hoshigatteita Mayoeru mono no chikai
Mada miru sekai o tsukuridasu koto Kuchi hateteiku

07-24-10, 1:01 PM

Gee, 3 episodes in and people are still bothered by the character-designs? Ok, I can understand Masao because he's a creepy mofo, but now it's starting to get repetitive. You guys should be used to it by the time the series ends, hopefully :P

And I actually like the way they did Sunako's and her mother's eyes. I don't see it as cheap at all.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one who could see the potential bromance developing later on between Tohru & Natsuno *shot*
Great episode though.

07-24-10, 1:09 PM

Linalee-Stratos said:
Aversa said:
If i have to compare them to other Anime i would say HOTD is similar to Elfen Lied.And Shiki more to Ghost Hunt.
Shiki is definitely more creepier than Ghost hunt..even with the 3 episode experience.

yeah, right. that's because, while Ghost Hunt was made for young girls, Shiki is written for grown-ups. So, this story is really scaring and grave. at the same time, I guess realistic psychological descriptions are similar to Twelve-Kingdoms.

and so, this is the very anime that I have been wanting. and I think this is a really unique anime, and I can't just compare this to other animes.

07-24-10, 1:40 PM

I... really don't know what to think of this show.

I have mixed feelings about this episode. Some parts were highly enjoyable, but other parts were just plain silly and laughably bad.

Also, dat hair. It looks fucking lame. Their hair defies grafity, fack year.
Dat non-functional bbcode

07-24-10, 2:26 PM

Masao is a creepy transvestite...I hope he dies next.
None of the villagers have noticed the strange eyes of their new residents?
I don't think Nasao is human.
They really need to do something about the hair of these characters...it's all just...odd!!

07-24-10, 3:53 PM

I liked the gay in this episode. Don't die, Tohru!

07-24-10, 4:36 PM

4 out of 5: Liked it (your vote)

07-24-10, 4:36 PM

I love this anime. This is actually really creepy and that isn't something I've seen an anime do apart from Higurashi, but that was a different type of sadistic creepy where as this plays more on the horror of vampires.

This and Occult are winners this season so far.

07-24-10, 5:26 PM

Masao.... is CREEPY... :S in a VERY intense way... i got fuckin scared in this episode cause of him. WTF is wrong?! he is a psychopath and a gay...

I have started liking Natsuno even more...
And Tohru I hope you won't die! though i'm afraid sth might happen to him... maybe to shake up Natsuno a bit.. cause for now he looks so indifferent.

Those newcomers look SO epicly differnt that I wonder why anyone hasn't noticed sth strange about them... especially their eyes... wtf?? i thought they had their eylids closed or sth at first. lol it just screams WRONG all the way...
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa

07-24-10, 5:55 PM

Maso is creepy as hell. Looks, voice, words, all of it. His sister in law is kawaii though.

Natsuko and Tohru turning BL or something?

Lol, people sure love Gackt. I'm neutral.

And the bite mark!!!. Vampires make appearance! I first heard the rule 'Vampires can't enter someone's house until invited' in Princess Ressurection. Seems like that's what's going on here. People are inviting them in.

no preview? WTFZOR

oh, 100th post? yay!
Modified by Sprite_Coke, 07-24-10, 6:15 PM

07-24-10, 6:21 PM

I didn't hate the last two episodes, but this one held my attention much more than they did. The first and second episodes had parts that bored me to tears, but I thought this one was great.

One thing I don't like however, is Masao, in terms of personality and character design. As many have stated, that guy is just...creepy ;_; It was a hard to look at him, especially during that scene where he was talking to his sister-in-law from around the corner of the wall. And what the heck was with his shoulder? The scene where he freaks out at Natsuno was weird (just like all of Masao's other scenes really, and Masao himself :P). Hopefully he has an unfortunate meeting with the Kirishiki's soon. He is just repulsive, in so many ways >_>

I'm liking Natsuno more. His (only) friend Tohru is kind of cool too. I hope they live. Tohru is nice...a little too nice. I hope that doesn't lead to his death, though there may not be much hope, since he's already invited that guy with the cat-ears-hair to his house.

And finally, the full introduction of the Kirishiki family. Though I'm used to the character design by now - though that doesn't change the fact that it's bad - I actually like the way the family looks. Strangely beautiful. I also loved the eyes the daughter and mother had.

This was a good episode, but there were a couple of moments that just struck me as silly... mainly Sunako giggling and hopping down the shrine stairs (trying a bit too hard to be the creepy child?), and "That's why I always carry a backscratcher." lol.

Also, I'm happy to see English lyrics for the opening song. The lyrics are as awesome as the tune~ And I wish there was a preview at the end of these episodes. Oh well.

Hope next week's episode is as good as this one :3

07-24-10, 7:28 PM

that toru guy is gay, right?

07-24-10, 7:28 PM

Ugh, it's so hard to get past the crazy-ass character designs: that creepy guy introduced this ep, the nurse's fucked up stiff yet reality-defying hair, the catguy with his two sets of ears, the vampire family and their blackhole eyes. It's awful. D:

Anyway, I don't understand the creepy guy's motivation at all. Why does he hate his sister-in-law? Because she said she didn't know him well enough yet to say whether or not she liked him? WHAT THE FUCK? How fucking childish can you be. And why does he hate Natsuno? If anything, he should be hated for the insensitive things he says (like being excited over people's deaths and all that).

I do like Tohru, though; his personality and character design are the best (and the most normal). Plus some Tohru/Natsuno action would be great. XD I hope he doesn't get killed off immediately next ep, although it's looking likely. :/

God I hope this gets better, otherwise I'll be dropping it.
Modified by yamakasi, 07-24-10, 7:41 PM

07-24-10, 8:48 PM
Forum Moderator
UnknownFact said:
that toru guy is gay, right?
I am not sure.
I understand, so when they say can I come by later, they are looking for the invitation to drink your blood. Since it is such a sweet town and everyone asks, them to come over.

07-25-10, 12:26 AM

This show is the fucking bomb.

07-25-10, 12:36 AM

digiboy123 said:
This show is the fucking bomb.

agreed. >:D

07-25-10, 3:28 AM

sunako and her parents looks even creepy then in the manga.

07-25-10, 6:18 AM

I was fine with it at first, but this episode I did get bored with the pacing. I'm plenty fond of psychological series, but there just isn't much to establish here. The show is just dancing around the completely obvious fact that they're vampires. Okay, maybe they're not and it's just a complete misdirect, but the point has been made one way or another and making it a few more times isn't helping. I guess they're trying to emulate the feeling of mystery that the villagers are having, but I'd like something that is actually mysterious to me too.

We did get a few sort of interesting developments this episode. The little girl showed off some probable immortality and the others seemed to imply they have to be invited in, people don't notice the evil eyes, Natsuno's utterly bland personality lures in a more interesting family, and our priest gets an unhealthy injection of darkness.

Masao is just sort of cartoonishly messed up. It doesn't sit well with me, though maybe they can play it off properly as out and out psychotic. The shoulder swirl seemed to imply that.

The most interesting thing going on in my view is Natsuno's midnight stalker. Even if it is the obvious reason, the victims rising again in some form still makes for fun.

As for character designs, I still like the oddity (Akagi and Kaiji fan here), but Ritsuko's hair when she was changing into the nurse's uniform just struck me with how disgusting it looked.

Still my favorite of the season, even if it's starting to wear on me how they aren't deepening the mystery and instead just circling it. Granted, favorite of this season says very little.

07-25-10, 6:27 AM

Yep yep... the art sometimes is really weird lol xD

But it looks like the story gets more interesting now

Pages (4) -0.6 0.4 [1.4] 2.4 3.4 » ... Last »
Advertising     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy