3It was OK
15.2%
2Disliked it
3.7%
1Hated it
1.1%
Average 4.2
355 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 22, 2010 9:39 AM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episode 3: in which Masao is a socially mal-adjusted creeper.
And Gackt makes his first appearance~ (unless Papa Kanemasa showed up already and I just forgot...)
Sunako meets Seishin and is adorable.
Tatsumi shows a bit of his scary side at the end.
mageletJul 22, 2010 9:53 AM
Jul 22, 2010 9:51 AM

Jul 2007
So far they really stick to manga.

Although teh adaptation of art is...real bad sometimes T_T

Like the end of episode. The shading on his face was incorrect. It was one of the scenes I awaited the most and it was just...incorrectly done >_<

inb4 "omg this is slow" mainstream complainers
Jul 22, 2010 9:54 AM

Apr 2009
I know what you mean about the art, that really put me off of the first episode, especially since I hadn't read the manga at that point. >>
Jul 22, 2010 9:57 AM

Jul 2007
magelet said:
I know what you mean about the art, that really put me off of the first episode, especially since I hadn't read the manga at that point. >>

Art is great actually...

its just adapted REAL BADLY

Compare the very last ("ill visit you") scene of this episode with this:
http://www.onemanga.com/Shiki/2/58/

anime team just slapped shadow on half of his face and finished with it -.-
Jul 22, 2010 10:02 AM

Apr 2009
Fai said:

Art is great actually...

its just adapted REAL BADLY

Compare the very last ("ill visit you") scene of this episode with this:
http://www.onemanga.com/Shiki/2/58/

anime team just slapped shadow on half of his face and finished with it -.-

No, no, I agree... I meant the anime art put me off. But the manga is great. Not your typical mainstream style, but I like it when a series doesn't look like every other thing out there.....
Jul 22, 2010 12:09 PM

Mar 2010
Eh, personally I prefer the anime art more than the manga art.
But that's just me :P I like the manga-colorings though.

Also, it is true that Funi won't be able to stream episode 3 this week?
I heard they had some technical problems.
Jul 22, 2010 1:14 PM

Dec 2007
lol. Their hair look so funny.
Jul 22, 2010 3:05 PM

Nov 2008
I kinda like Sunako's eyes even though they remind me of a coldhearted character however she's really quite cute and adorable.

Jul 22, 2010 6:39 PM

Apr 2009
tl;dr ~> Zzz zzz zzz zzz...
They totally could have adapted this so it wasn't entirely boring. I didn't have a problem with the pacing at first, but that was because I thought it would be relevant to the genre. I see now that it's unnecessary. They need more characters to have fabulous CLAMP-esque outfits like Megumi had in the first episode.
Jul 22, 2010 6:41 PM

Nov 2008
ReaperEXE said:
tl;dr ~> Zzz zzz zzz zzz...
They totally could have adapted this so it wasn't entirely boring. I didn't have a problem with the pacing at first, but that was because I thought it would be relevant to the genre. I see now that it's unnecessary. They need more characters to have fabulous CLAMP-esque outfits like Megumi had in the first episode.

Megumi was annoying and quite ugly in that outfit no wonder she died and pretty glad she did, maybe she'll be better personality-wise as a Shiki.

Jul 22, 2010 8:34 PM

Jan 2009
really...really intriguing and great episode!

loled at Masao's scene that he appeared and spoke. he is so funny! so unique!
and, loled at Kirishiki Seishiro, Gackt, talked with villagers, he acted well enough. or, that voice of his is fitting that gracious personality.

and Sunako, a heroin of this story(?) finally appeared. she is quite cute and mysterious enough. and her voice is really nice to add to its savor.

as to pace, I think it is really good. it is not too fast nor too slow. if they made it faster than this, it would be less intelligible and zestful, and would lose its atmosphere.
As someone mentioned before, this is not Battle Anime, but is Japanese horror. they need to develop its settings making much of atmosphere and people's psychological descriptions. like, Masao's quarrel with Natsuno, or talking with his sister-in-law or dad or other his friends of this episode.
they are important to this anime, I guess.
Jul 23, 2010 6:37 PM

Jul 2008
The hair annoys me. I know a lot of anime characters have outrageous hair styles, but most characters in this show have hair that defies gravity, and it still looks horrible. The dates are annoying too. Are they that significant to the story?

I also like how no one thinks the family of vampires (they are vampires, right?) is strange, despite having like colorless eyes with no pupils or anything.

The best part was when that little girl was being creepy. That was the only time I have been interested in this show so far.
Jul 23, 2010 6:50 PM

Nov 2007
Yuck, here comes Masao, my most hated character in Shiki next to Megumi. They're both intolerable little shits.

I'm not realyl seeing how people find this show slow, seems perfectly fine to me. Then again, I must be one of the few who watched Zettai Shonen completely and loved it so, it's hard for me to call something slow...

In terms of the art, my only gripe is the shading they gave to the Kirishiki women's eyes. I think the manga's pure black eyes are much better and give a much creepier feel, kinda like staring into a skull. Here they look like they're bugs.
Jul 23, 2010 7:05 PM

Jan 2010
Th-th-th-th.. THAT CREEPY PSYCHO WITH THAT CREEPY FACE!! OMFG!! *hides under bed* WHYYY GOD WHYYYY DID YOU MAKE THAT SCARY LOOKING BOY?!

oh... my.. GOOOOD *screams*
Jul 23, 2010 7:18 PM

Nov 2009
holy crapppppp that masao guy is probably the scariest effing anime character ive EVER seen arghhhhh

peoples hair in this show is really strange, like that chick with the long green roller coaster hair, oh well i think it adds to the shows interest level
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2010 7:21 PM

Apr 2010
I first that Masao was the transvestite type of guy but it turns out he is just a creep.
He seems to know about the possibility of a epidemic but doesn't seem to realize that it could effect as well.

And we finally got a glimpse of the mysterious new residents who seem to be the cause of the epidemic.
The certainly look apart except for the last guy we saw (Not counting in the grin at the end).
I'm wondering about the eyes of both female members tho they looked apart from the other female's in the story, Western features maybe?

It also seems there is more to the priest then meets the eye.
Wonder what his future actions will be.
Jul 23, 2010 8:16 PM
Nov 2007
nice bites. nice blood complications. nice vampires. nice eyes, i guess? K. LET THERE BE SUN
Jul 23, 2010 8:30 PM

Jan 2010
Vampires? Zombies? So far it seems that new family are the vampires, but that's way too obvious for the anime to have 22 episodes, there must be many other things... I hope.
Jul 23, 2010 9:00 PM

Oct 2009
Masao is scary as hell. Onizuka's back as Tatsumi. Gackt voices Seishirou. Aoi Yuuki as Sunako. Yep.

Yea, not the best episode, but still okay so far...

Jul 23, 2010 9:09 PM

Apr 2010
I was thinking the more I watched this the more it would grow on me but to be honest I think it's getting worse in my opinion.. the pacing is starting to really bug me, not to mention the weird hair. I also don't understand why the word vampire hasn't crossed any of their minds. I realize that they think they don't exist or what not, but wouldn't you think that for even a second.. even if you shot it down right after? I'm just confused..
"I wish, just one more time to hear your voice. One more time, just one more time... Say my name..."
Jul 23, 2010 9:51 PM

Sep 2008
My god, why did it take so long for me to realize that Ritsuko is quite gorgeous? She's almost as lovely as a pale Megumi. Sunako's eyes are very captivating also. With all this, I think I can turn a blind eye to Masao.

So why did a dying Nao not look as great as Megumi?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2010 9:54 PM

Jun 2009
Where did you find this? I can't find it this week.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jul 23, 2010 10:03 PM

Dec 2009
That creepy dude was just, UH! that would have to be the UGLIEST and CREEPIEST anime character in the history of the world.

theres something about this anime, its just so damn good *v*b

i like the blond guy, natsuno, the doctor, the monk and the green haired nurse :D if any of them die....i think i may cry ;~;

and the little vampire girl also so kawaii~! :3
Jul 23, 2010 10:13 PM

Apr 2007
Holy crap. What is up with Masao's character design? His eyes are... far far creepier than any of those of that vampire family's. Seriously, wtf man. It doesn't help that he's creepy as hell. He's such an unpleasant... *shudders* thing you just want to get rid of... like a centipede or cockroach.

I'm sad for the Tohru guy. He has death flags set up around him. So sad that he'll probably die in the next episode or so.

Also, I have a pretty decent tolerance to unique and strange character designs and art styles, but these just bother me for some reason. The eyes and hair especially. I dislike how... glowy and circular the pupils are. They look like shiny rings stuck into their eyes or something.
z-pakJul 23, 2010 10:24 PM
Jul 23, 2010 10:47 PM
Aug 2009
Never invite a vampire into your house, I'm pretty sure thats a golden rule somewhere? Could be wrong, just saying.
Jul 23, 2010 11:49 PM
Aug 2009
Okay, so this is obviously about vampires. Anyone notice the bit about Cain and Abel? I guess that confirms it.

Anyway, why don't those villagers notice that the Kirishikis GLOW IN THE DARK? You know, if the creepy eyes didn't give it away.

And on the subject of creepy eyes... Masao... Just Masao. I hope to God he's the next to die.

This Anime is going at an extremely slow pace. I don't know how they plan on adapting the entire light novel in 22 episodes, especially since the manga is still ongoing as well.

I really like this Anime though. I love intricate plots with lots of characters, even if it's nearly impossible to keep track of them all.
Jul 24, 2010 12:19 AM

Feb 2010
I LOVE the slow pace. If you think about it... it's completely necessary. We're getting to know all the characters... their flaws... friendships... personalities and how this town works.

Excellent episode. Insanely creepy without any actual violence/blood.

Oh.. and Masao is is.... ::shudders:: spooky. Looks like Marilyn Manson as a teenager.
Jul 24, 2010 12:46 AM

Dec 2009
I love the anime so far , they really made Sunako perfectly creepy <3.
Also Masao was as childish and stupid as in the manga, but made me laugh like hell .

Damn that Kanemasas !
Jul 24, 2010 2:19 AM

Jun 2008
This is the scariest shit i ever saw.

Ohh!! the horror, he makes the vampires look innocent. What is that? A tranvesti, a cockroach, the phantom of the opera, maybe the killer from the scream movies? KILL IT, KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!

BakaOnna said:
Holy crap. What is up with Masao's character design? His eyes are... far far creepier than any of those of that vampire family's. Seriously, wtf man. It doesn't help that he's creepy as hell. He's such an unpleasant... *shudders* thing you just want to get rid of... like a centipede or cockroach.

Hahaha! perfect description there.

Until now the hair didn't bother me as much as other people but i have to admit after seeing the vampire dads hair i got annoyed too. That was just ridiculous.

SoulSlayerShika said:
Never invite a vampire into your house, I'm pretty sure thats a golden rule somewhere? Could be wrong, just saying.

Am pretty sure you are right on the money there. They really seem to need an invitation to come in your home at night. That's why they go around getting into smalltalk until they get an invitation.
Jul 24, 2010 2:46 AM

Jan 2010
holypoop said:
Th-th-th-th.. THAT CREEPY PSYCHO WITH THAT CREEPY FACE!! OMFG!! *hides under bed* WHYYY GOD WHYYYY DID YOU MAKE THAT SCARY LOOKING BOY?!

this might be the ugliest mofo i've ever seen in an anime O.o,and i have the feeling he won't die too soon :\

can someone remind me why this has 7.4 and Highschool of the tits has 8.4?

5/5,it's really entertaining,and don't forget,this is a PSYCHOLOGYCAL anime,it needs some plot,not like hotd
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jul 24, 2010 3:58 AM

Jun 2008
The weird guy with the black hair & lipgloss is literary the creepiest character I have ever seen.

The subs that I watched, when it was talking about that dude, they italicized him, like it was a shocker. It made me smile. Epic Win!!!

The hair keeps getting stranger & stranger...
Jul 24, 2010 4:08 AM

Jan 2010
taim said:
clannad4ever said:

I think you answered your own question. Shiki has little fanservice. The only prominent service-y part in ep 3 was the nurse changing into her uniform. On comparison, Left4Highschool's nurse is about 95% fanservice. That series is more ecchi than horror. Besides, zombies aren't scary since Plants vs Zombies got published. :P

Okay, back to Shiki.

The creepiest part is still that weird soundtrack when Natsuno feels stalked by something. The eyes are creepy only in OP/ED sequences, they don't really deliver the impact as well with the gradient and stuff in the episodes.

Crazy hair is crazy. Also, I forgot Gackt was starring in Shiki. Nice one, Noitamina.

I love the pacing and I'm glad there isn't even one TRULY likeable character (okay, maybe Mutou). I couldn't stand Higurashi because I wanted to protect Keichii from harm, but in Shiki? I'm eagerly waiting for all of them to succumb to madness and kill everyone in the village. :D

LOL I love Plants vs Zombies! 8D
And lol, yeah the zombies in HOTD really remind me of Plants vs Zombies. Last episode I found myself thinking; Don't bother getting all panicky, just plant some potato mines and get the hell out of there. >.>

About Shiki:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TOHRU-CHAAAN! ;____;
Everyone knows not to invite a vampire over right? Especially not in a series that follows the rule that vampires cannot enter yout mansion unless you invite them in.

And dude are those guys blind? Didn't anyone notice the weird eyes Sunako-chan and her mother have? >.>
I already love Sunako though. I just have a weak spot for evil loli's, and she was SO adorable. I'm starting to like Natsuno more and more too, and I SPOTTED A BL MOMENT! 8D Tohru x Natsuno anyone? =D

Anyway, I liked Tohru. ;w; Save him, someone! I don't want him to die so soon. TTwTT
Jul 24, 2010 4:12 AM

Oct 2008
I'm not enjoying the series as much as I thought I would however since the "family" have now started to make their odd appearances - hopefully it will keep my interest. I'm not so bothered about the hair, i'm liking the art as its something different from what I usually see.

I'm also glad of the fact that the main character isn't likeable, since to me it makes him slightly more interesting. I was having a weird thought too that it would be weird if he had died and then came back alive alongside Megumi. However from the opening i'm guessing it will be a while yet till he dies if he does.

He creeps me out too...
Jul 24, 2010 4:14 AM

Dec 2009
This is one of those series I wish I hadnt started watching until it was finished. I feel the pacing is correct for the atmosphere they are trying to express but it leaves me frustrated having to wait another week to pick up on it, and by then the feeling of unease instilled from watching the previous episode has dulled.

Definitely sticking with this to see where it goes, but ultimately I might wait a while and let a few episodes stack up... if I can hold off ;)
Jul 24, 2010 5:44 AM

Mar 2010
I don't know why people keep saying things like: oh my gosh, pace of this show is terribly slow, it's boring, blah blah blah. You knew from since episode that this won't be like some OTHER new anime (yes, I am looking at you, Highschool ofthe Dead).
In my opinion is pacing great, because (as I and many others said before) it helps build atmosphere. I wouldn't be enjoying this as much as I do without that.
Also, complaining all the time about art is meaningless. Yes, art is quite strange, but unique at the same time (and you knew since first episode about this, too, yet you have to complain).

OK, about this episode:

Masao is absolutely terrifying. They must dispose of him somehow... Yet I want to see him more for the sake of lulz :D Natsuno is as emo as ever while Sunako is cute and mysterious... Hmm, she is fond of books, I would want her as my little sister :) Or maybe not. I wonder what's up with priest, why did he try to kill himself.
I want Tohru-chan as my neighbor, that would be sweet :D
Also, I was quite intrigued when Sunako said to priest (forgot his name, lol) that her father moved into village because of his essay, where he wrote that Sotoba is village surrounded by death. Did he mean those strange "coffin trees?" :D
Jul 24, 2010 6:10 AM

Aug 2009
I just can not stand these Digimon-like hairstyles. So far I liked this anime, it looks very realistic, but God, why they needed to make the hair looking like that?
Jul 24, 2010 6:11 AM

Aug 2008
Jul 24, 2010 6:52 AM

Nov 2009
I like the pacing. Anyways, I hope the family says "lets bite that annoying paranoid freak next." I was sort of repulsed the second i saw him; they did a good job of rendering him quite differently from the others.
Megumi preserves and stalks even through death it seems? Wonder if Natsuno really can be the protagonist if right now he is only a target.
Jul 24, 2010 7:09 AM

Sep 2009
iKaity said:
I also don't understand why the word vampire hasn't crossed any of their minds. I realize that they think they don't exist or what not, but wouldn't you think that for even a second.. even if you shot it down right after? I'm just confused..
Firstly there were no signs of bite marks except the victim shown in this episode and in a normal rational world epidemic and 'medical reasons' sounds more sensible than some fantasy creature.

Masao is just creepy.

I guess the people from Kanemasama place interacts with the village people before attacking so that they invite them in their houses, as classic vampires cannot enter without invitation. Ofcourse I could be wrong here.
Jul 24, 2010 8:22 AM

Jun 2009
3 eps and still don't know what actually happen...
but,,I love this anime art style so I'll continue to watch this..
Jul 24, 2010 8:43 AM

Jan 2010
I'm actually enjoying the pace of this show. Masao is by far the creepiest thing I've ever seen.
Jul 24, 2010 9:07 AM

Apr 2009
I'm still loving the pace, it's perfect. This is another great episode, we're introduced to the residents of the house on the hill and they don't disappoint, especially the creepy little girl. Masao's character design is off putting to say the least. I wouldn't really mind him except his voice and having a tantrum and running off all the time are extremely annoying, hopefully he'll die.
Jul 24, 2010 9:53 AM

Feb 2009
Getting better now. Masao is an eyesore and should die, nuff said. As I have already been spoiled last week, those marks on Nao are truly a sign of what are involved. But that's a weird place though. And we finally saw the mysterious family. I don't like the mother and Sunako's eyes but Sunako is interesting. I've been waiting for Takagi Wataru's character of Tatsumi since episode 1 and I'm disappointed a bit here. Hope he gets more involved with the story. I'm looking forward to this show every week now.
Jul 24, 2010 10:42 AM

Apr 2010
taim said:
clannad4ever said:

I think you answered your own question. Shiki has little fanservice. The only prominent service-y part in ep 3 was the nurse changing into her uniform. On comparison, Left4Highschool's nurse is about 95% fanservice. That series is more ecchi than horror. Besides, zombies aren't scary since Plants vs Zombies got published. :P

Okay, back to Shiki.

The creepiest part is still that weird soundtrack when Natsuno feels stalked by something. The eyes are creepy only in OP/ED sequences, they don't really deliver the impact as well with the gradient and stuff in the episodes.

Crazy hair is crazy. Also, I forgot Gackt was starring in Shiki. Nice one, Noitamina.

I love the pacing and I'm glad there isn't even one TRULY likeable character (okay, maybe Mutou). I couldn't stand Higurashi because I wanted to protect Keichii from harm, but in Shiki? I'm eagerly waiting for all of them to succumb to madness and kill everyone in the village. :D
HOTD is also more action based while Shiki is very psychological which draws different audiences.
HOTD has been very violent from the start and there has not been a episode yet where you didn't see any blood flying around.
While Shiki is slowly building up end getting more creepy per episode, but there have not been any violent scenes yet.

HOTD tends to draw in a audience which cares more about blood flying around and brains being smashed in then a actual story line.
While Shiki tends to have a audience who want a nice creepy story.

Personally i prefer Shiki the slow creepy build it generally makes you more aware of what's happening and delivers it's fear very well. (Actually i love the way Shiki is going)
While there hasn't been a scene in HOTD yet that actually made me feel some form of fear.

If i have to compare them to other Anime i would say HOTD is similar to Elfen Lied.
And Shiki more to Ghost Hunt.
Jul 24, 2010 10:50 AM

Sep 2009
Aversa said:
If i have to compare them to other Anime i would say HOTD is similar to Elfen Lied.And Shiki more to Ghost Hunt.
Shiki is definitely more creepier than Ghost hunt..even with the 3 episode experience.
Jul 24, 2010 11:07 AM
Jun 2010
WTF

Someone... please explain this image. Is this suppose to be "real" or the michael jackson looking guy's imagination ?

Things are getting creepier. The female newcomers eyes are scary.

Also, people should stop talking about HOTD in each of the summer 2010's show, both Shiki and HOTD are great in their own way.

Jul 24, 2010 11:32 AM

Jun 2010
holypoop said:

OFT
Jul 24, 2010 12:11 PM

Mar 2008
Perhaps those strange guys are not vampires, but the demons that feed on the life energy. The victim before death looked as if they had no strength to live

but really I don't know.
The only sure thing is that they are not ordinary people.

Jul 24, 2010 12:11 PM

Dec 2008
SoulSlayerShika said:

Haha, exactly. Stop being so damn friendly.

Although I really like this aspect. It seems like they're going after the old school vampire rules, and that makes this anime that much better.

It's going to take me a bit to get used to the character styles, though. One thing that's nice about them, however, is that even though they're introducing a ton of characters at once, the designs are so unique that they're easy to identify. I really like the pacing, too.

darkerealm said:
I hope Mutou doesn't die. He's quite nice.

AAah, but that's why he's going to get it. He's just too nice :(
Jul 24, 2010 12:42 PM

Jan 2010
Aversa said:

If i have to compare them to other Anime i would say HOTD is similar to Elfen Lied.
And Shiki more to Ghost Hunt.

That's to be expected, since Ghost Hunt and Shiki have the same author.
This is by far my favorite series of this season, I'm loving the creepy atmosphere, and the pace of the show fits it perfectly.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shiki Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Dec 30, 2010

958 by mairyland »»
Apr 10, 11:14 AM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Dec 9, 2010

202 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 5:46 PM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Dec 2, 2010

312 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 5:17 PM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Nov 25, 2010

226 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Nuzuky - Oct 14, 2010

245 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 12:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.