Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 9, 2010 1:25 PM
Aug 2010
Here's my take on the end of season 2 (in light of the OVA's) with regards to Hei and Yin (don't read if you hate SPOILERS!!)

1.) Yin's alter/supra ego is Izanami

2.) Shion's alter/supra ego is Izanagi

3.) Izanami, mythologically speaking, is like the god/being of destruction. As we have seen, all Izanami pretty much does is kill or cause chaos (many bodies in her wake)

4.) Izanagi, mythologically speaking, is like the god/being of creation. As we have seen, Shion is able to create copies of people as well as a new earth (!!!)

5.) The two must meld together and become one again (for some greater purpose/fulfillment of prophesy. Maybe they were whole at one point in time and the appearance of The Gate was a result of the sundering of the two halves (this has been a huge theme in literature and film i.e. The Dark Crystal).

6.) Hei has always said, regardless of the prophesy and other some such, that his goal was to kill Izanami...he never said he was going to kill Yin. He wants to destroy that which separated him from Yin. When he says that he's going to kill her, HER is in quotes ("her").

7.) As Izanami draws Izanagi's and July's souls to her, Yin extends herself as a last ditch effort and appears and appeals to Hei to kill her because it's not too late. Though she was not able to keep the awakening from happening like she did initially, she manages to send herself out one last time to Hei

8.) Misaki sees Hei's star shine exponentially brighter in the night sky than ever before. His powers and that of his sister have returned in full force (and then some) and he has taken the meteor shard (either still in pieces from when Izanami broke Shuou's pendant or it formed into a whole piece again after the fact like it did in season one when amber had broken it into pieces but it went back to being whole) to destroy Izunami via Yin's last ditch attempt to save this crazy world.

9.) Hei changes Izanami on a molecular level via Yin’s projection thus preventing the Iza/Iza binding.

10.) Soon after, we hear that another Gate has appeared (the twins call it out) because the actual completion of Izanami and Izanagi was prevented by Hei and Yin.

11.) Thus resulting in the boy we see in the fields. He looks like a boy version of Yin. He is now the new yet incomplete Izanami incarnate signified by the arrival of a new Gate as Yin proper has split from that entity completely and there is no consciousness to hold anything back now. So this kid wakes up and just starts consuming as soon as his eyes open.

12.) During the molecular change, as noted above, Yin and Izanami disconnected as beings totally. Yin was never a shell that remained in that box though that’s what everyone thought. Izanami had just seemingly taken over her wholesale and their entities were tightly intertwined but Yin boldly asserted herself at the last moment to Hei. Once the disconnect occurred, the remnants of Yin returned to her body.

13.) Yin's wish is to be with Hei (she has said this a few times in the OVA's), not for Hei to kill her. In the end, she counted on Hei to know the right time and do what was needed so she didn't need to wish for that. Hei knew what he had to do so she didn't have to waste her wish. Her knowing smile and his knowing smile at the end complimented each other.

14.) Hei is seen carrying Yin’s naked body off. This is clearly the Yin from the box in the room, not Yin that showed herself to Hei moments before. Hei went back to the bldg after the change, disconnected Yin from the tubes and carried her off with him, at last alone together. At some point later, Yin regains consciousness and though it takes a long time, she slowly but surely returns to herself.

15.) Amber, who has seen and knows the future, knows the budding relationship between Hei and Yin (episode 16) so she entrusts Yin to watch over Hei. I doubt she would tell Yin this if Yin was going to die.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!!!!! They live and are happy together eventually!!!!! Waaaaah!!!
Aug 12, 2010 2:48 AM

Jun 2008
GarLogan78 said:
Well I watched God-Speed-Subs, which I thought were fine.

Even after watching Seasons 1, 2, and this OVA, I still don't understand so much of what happened.

That the biggest problem with Darker than BLack. They leave a tone of things unanswered.
For example no ever told us what this "awakening" of Yin is and why it's happening. What caused it?

Shit is happening and no one is explaining why.

I don't know what to think in the end. The OVA's had some nice action and characters, along with interesting plot but as usual they didn't really explain much.

If Darker than Black ever gets a new season they better start explaining shit because this is getting ridiculous. It's getting tiring watching things happening and not knowing what is all about. We need the big picture.
At least we got the reason the organization was first created.
Aug 21, 2010 10:32 PM

Jun 2008
tat was good. it answered quite a bit of things and really made me wanna watch season 2 again to refresh my memory
Aug 27, 2010 3:27 PM

Jul 2009
great ova indeed :D

i love the action here it's more intense than ever though i kinda wish season 2 was longer than season 1 seriously, i wanted to see more Hei vs that Magician Guy.

hopefully there will be a season 3 and they will use the same composer who did season 2 and ova :)
Aug 28, 2010 10:51 PM

Jun 2008
I enjoyed the OVAs they provided some answers as to what happened between S1 and S2.

I don't think it's impossible to say they won't do a third season, but I'd be shocked if they did, I personally think it's all over now.

Either way Darker than Black series was pretty good and gave us some great characters:

S1: 8/10
S2: 9/10
OVAs: 8/10
Sep 15, 2010 5:10 PM
Aug 2010
Is season 3 beyond the gate?

I can only hope.
Sep 18, 2010 4:16 AM

Aug 2010
Sinamon said:
Here's my take on the end of season 2 (in light of the OVA's) with regards to Hei and Yin (don't read if you hate SPOILERS!!)

3.) Izanami, mythologically speaking, is like the god/being of destruction. As we have seen, all Izanami pretty much does is kill or cause chaos (many bodies in her wake)

4.) Izanagi, mythologically speaking, is like the god/being of creation. As we have seen, Shion is able to create copies of people as well as a new earth (!!!)

5.) The two must meld together and become one again (for some greater purpose/fulfillment of prophesy. Maybe they were whole at one point in time and the appearance of The Gate was a result of the sundering of the two halves (this has been a huge theme in literature and film i.e. The Dark Crystal).

6.) Hei has always said, regardless of the prophesy and other some such, that his goal was to kill Izanami...he never said he was going to kill Yin. He wants to destroy that which separated him from Yin. When he says that he's going to kill her, HER is in quotes ("her").

7.) As Izanami draws Izanagi's and July's souls to her, Yin extends herself as a last ditch effort and appears and appeals to Hei to kill her because it's not too late. Though she was not able to keep the awakening from happening like she did initially, she manages to send herself out one last time to Hei

8.) Misaki sees Hei's star shine exponentially brighter in the night sky than ever before. His powers and that of his sister have returned in full force (and then some) and he has taken the meteor shard (either still in pieces from when Izanami broke Shuou's pendant or it formed into a whole piece again after the fact like it did in season one when amber had broken it into pieces but it went back to being whole) to destroy Izunami via Yin's last ditch attempt to save this crazy world.

9.) Hei changes Izanami on a molecular level via Yin’s projection thus preventing the Iza/Iza binding.

10.) Soon after, we hear that another Gate has appeared (the twins call it out) because the actual completion of Izanami and Izanagi was prevented by Hei and Yin.

11.) Thus resulting in the boy we see in the fields. He looks like a boy version of Yin. He is now the new yet incomplete Izanami incarnate signified by the arrival of a new Gate as Yin proper has split from that entity completely and there is no consciousness to hold anything back now. So this kid wakes up and just starts consuming as soon as his eyes open.

12.) During the molecular change, as noted above, Yin and Izanami disconnected as beings totally. Yin was never a shell that remained in that box though that’s what everyone thought. Izanami had just seemingly taken over her wholesale and their entities were tightly intertwined but Yin boldly asserted herself at the last moment to Hei. Once the disconnect occurred, the remnants of Yin returned to her body.

13.) Yin's wish is to be with Hei (she has said this a few times in the OVA's), not for Hei to kill her. In the end, she counted on Hei to know the right time and do what was needed so she didn't need to wish for that. Hei knew what he had to do so she didn't have to waste her wish. Her knowing smile and his knowing smile at the end complimented each other.

14.) Hei is seen carrying Yin’s naked body off. This is clearly the Yin from the box in the room, not Yin that showed herself to Hei moments before. Hei went back to the bldg after the change, disconnected Yin from the tubes and carried her off with him, at last alone together. At some point later, Yin regains consciousness and though it takes a long time, she slowly but surely returns to herself.

15.) Amber, who has seen and knows the future, knows the budding relationship between Hei and Yin (episode 16) so she entrusts Yin to watch over Hei. I doubt she would tell Yin this if Yin was going to die.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!!!!! They live and are happy together eventually!!!!! Waaaaah!!!

Thank you so much for explaining this to me! I love this anime, but after the finale I was like wtf happened?

I hope there's a third season coming out and that Kirihara and Hei will get closer.

>>How many Dragonball Z characters does it take to change a lightbulb??
Ive got no idea, but it'd take at least 20 episodes!
Oct 26, 2010 3:55 AM

Oct 2010
The OVAs were great and explain why Hei felt so guilty about Yin, but still there are so many questions unanswered.

I would really like a S3, but I'm not sure I want Hei on it. I kinda feel bad for him at this point, he is always loosing someone or something terrible is happening to him. I rather watch a whole season about some kind of conspiracy theory and Kirihara trying to put things together (answerer wth are the gate)... unless they bring back Yin ^^
At this point I don't believe Shion was Izanagi. At the end of the OVA Yin says that Hie is going to tell her when she was ready to awaken(i guess?) and the things inside of her agrees to that. Also when Shion dies nothing happens( at the end of S2 Izanagi ,not Yin, tells Hei that "Is not to late" so i guess the awaking was not started by Shion), but when Hei does w.e he does to Yin the new Gate appears (with the kid) and things pretty much end.
huh?
Nov 10, 2010 6:11 AM

Oct 2010
Sinamon said:

I agree with your event explanation and find fascinating. So I do go towards like in the GIF

but the way I saw it in this episode is the gate had some sort of EMP and the plane fell.

Yin tried to kill herself but instead a tomhawk missile in all this blows up a nasty hole. Izanami wakes and Hei is all in this. Comes the beam cannon that Yin's awakening is stopped due to that cannon stopping the particles properly. What I don understand is if the being of gold inside of Yin is Izanagi not awakened or still Izanami stuck inside of Yin? It could Izanami stuck inside but that would explain happening upon the Hei contact.

Another is after what happens, at the end of all that Hei x Yin are humans on the new earth and live happily ever after having many kids. Because a)they are humans with no memories but feelings intact. b)Izanami cannot go another world? Even if she lives she will be stuck alone on that planet provided it never dies out. The end. Unless season 3 makes me wrong on this one. It was a blast seeing this last OVA!

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Nov 22, 2010 4:16 AM

Oct 2008
Oh, so that's how Hei got the fuzzy unattractive bum look in season 2.

But, Yin. :< Whyyyy do Hei and Yin have to be apart? :(
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Dec 8, 2010 4:32 AM

Oct 2009
Monad said:
GarLogan78 said:
Well I watched God-Speed-Subs, which I thought were fine.

Even after watching Seasons 1, 2, and this OVA, I still don't understand so much of what happened.

That the biggest problem with Darker than BLack. They leave a tone of things unanswered.
For example no ever told us what this "awakening" of Yin is and why it's happening. What caused it?

Shit is happening and no one is explaining why.

I don't know what to think in the end. The OVA's had some nice action and characters, along with interesting plot but as usual they didn't really explain much.

If Darker than Black ever gets a new season they better start explaining shit because this is getting ridiculous. It's getting tiring watching things happening and not knowing what is all about. We need the big picture.
At least we got the reason the organization was first created.

Perharps you should give the show an other go: I'm pretty sure I understood everything after a re-watch of the whole serie.

And this episode made me sob again... great.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 12, 2010 11:43 AM

Aug 2009
still didnt get it....
okay I am going to re-watch season 2 as everyone did.. >>
Dec 18, 2010 12:07 PM

Feb 2010
This was a GREAT special. Honestly you could simply watch this without even having to see the second season! Ends the series perfectly!
Dec 30, 2010 12:48 AM
Mar 2008
Why the hell did they air this after S2?
Jan 8, 2011 12:43 AM

Aug 2010
With all those souls inside Yin i can only imagine what she'll do when that time comes...great OVA anyways
Jan 8, 2011 1:17 AM

Sep 2010
One conclusion is ...

There must be Season 3
Mar 29, 2011 12:07 PM

Feb 2009
Overall this was a great OVA/Specials or whatever you wanna call it. I would even say this is essential if you followed the TV series and I am so glad I watched this before second season, it had so much more impact. A little characteristic of these episodes is that they are so much more brutal and action-packed than the series. Well done.

Evangelion vibe anyone?
Aug 16, 2011 10:26 PM

Jul 2010
Hate this crap. Darker than Black was beast in season 1. I watched this right after that, and wth happened with Yin and Hei. It was kinda obvious Yin had feelings for him in the last few episodes, but what happened to Hei? All this hugging between them. I mean, seriously what happened? Did losing Yin make him become so depressed to start drinking? What about Huang, and Mao? God this is annoying. There was no signs of any love that Hei had, except for Amber in the past, maybe. I really like Kirihara and Hei, and then outta nowhere I see this and I'm like -_- did Darker than Black really become so stupid and like so many other animes out there? Reminded me alot of Gurren Lagaan, but that was so much more well-made. I heard this was supposed to fill the gap between Season 1 and 2 but the developments in this special were SO rushed. I wish they REALLY showed how Hei and Yin grew to love each other instead of just putting us in the middle of things. Showing how they escaped the city and the syndicate would have been a good start. This really disappointed me.

I gave the first Darker than Black a 9. The music and animation were great, and the plot even better.

This crap at least had good music and animation, and I must admit the fight scenes were as great as the first season, but the plot sucked so badly and had horrible pacing in developments. I would give it a 6, but because Darker than Black had amazing characters (although they were put to waste in this special) and great music, animation, and fight scenes, it deserves a 7.

Hated this, but it had the characters I had grown to love, so had to watch it. If you watch it without thinking about the plot, or the characters, it'll be great.
fishergirl16Aug 16, 2011 10:36 PM
Sep 18, 2011 3:13 AM

Aug 2010
Well my thoughts on this is that it was great! 9/10 I always wanted to see some romance between Hei and Yin :3
I watched this before S2 because supposedly it is a prequel but still I've heard that S2 is quite disappointing -_- I hope they kept with this storyline because I wanna see the end so bad!
Nov 9, 2011 7:31 PM

May 2010
grar564 said:
Sinamon said:

Thank you so much for explaining this to me! I love this anime, but after the finale I was like wtf happened?

I hope there's a third season coming out and that Kirihara and Hei will get closer.

Thank you

7/10
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 16, 2011 2:34 PM

Jul 2010
time to watch the second season now, poor yin
zimno said:
 ▼ ▌   ▊     ▲  ▋◥▍   ▍        ▌  ▉    █    ▊ ▼
 ▌ ▊   ▊      ▋  ▊  ▌   ▌   ▲  ▐◣   ▉    █    ▋ ▌
  ◢▉   ▋     ◢▌  ▊ ▲▋  ◥▋  ▍▋  ▌ ◥◣  ▊    ▉ ▲ ▐◣◥◣
  ▌▊   ▋     ▐▂▄▋ ▲▃▊   ▋ ▐▃▌ ▐▄▂▲ ▋     ▊  ▊ ▋
 ▍ ▐!  ▋ ◢   ▌ ▐◢▀    ▉  ▐◣ ▌▐ ▍    ◥▋     ▋   ▋ ▌
    ▌  ▋ ▍   ▐▂▄▃▃▃▄▂ ▼  ▌◥▌▲▲▃▃▄▂▌     ▌  ▲ ▍
    ▐◣ ▊ ▌  ▐◣ ▋▆▓▍ ▼  ◥◣ ▍ ▼ ▋▆▓▍ ▌   ▼  ◢◤▐◤
     ▍ ▉ ▋   ▐◣▲▃▲◤     ◥▎ ◥◣▲▃▲◢▌   ◢◤  ◢◤
    ▌ ▍ █ ▊ ◥◣ ▼                 ▼  ◢◤   ▼  5/5
    ▲◢▌ ▼ ▼ ▐◣▲       ◢▍        ▲◢▋    ▋
      ▋ ◢▊   ▲  ◢▀◣          ◢▀◣  ▲ ▌ ▐◣▌
      ▼ ▋ ▍  ▓▃ ▐ ▐◣ ◥▃▂ ▂▃◤ ◢▌ ▌ ▃▓  ▋ ▋
         ▐◤   ▓ ▓▅▌ ▌         ▌ ▐▅▓ ▓ ▊▼
         ▲◢◤▌▓ ▓ █  ▌        ▌ █ ▓ ▓◤
            ◥▓  ▓ ▉ ▐◣▂    ▂◢▋ ▊ ▓  ▓
            ▓   ▓ ▌ ▉ █▆▅▆█ █  ▋▓!  ▓
            ◥▓  ▓█ ◢◤ ◥████◤ ◥◣ █▓  ▓
           ▂▓▆██  ▂▅◤◥███◤◥▅▂  ██▆▓▂
       ▃▅▇██████!   ▂▃███▃▂    ██████▇▅▃
     ▂▅██████████     ▂██▂     ██████████▅▂

damn thats nice.

Sinamon said:

im gonna post this for ppl who watched the second season last, since som ppl will do that (like me)
supermegasonicDec 19, 2011 10:20 PM

Dec 23, 2011 12:43 PM
Sep 2011
As I haven't watched season 2 yet I assume Hei will work with the CIA from now on and thus accept the offering of the blond woman.

Overall this was a great OVA series. Let's hope the second season will continue on this level!
Jan 9, 2012 3:20 PM

Aug 2011
Bit of a slow depressing OVA series, oh well on to the next series...
Feb 9, 2012 5:00 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Nice music, nice atmosphere and good characters. I wished they could have made this as season 2 instead. Only question is, when did Yin and Hei fall in love? It seemed a bit forced to me.
I'd love a prequel focusing on Hin and his sister though.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 9, 2012 2:05 PM

Aug 2009
OMG... Whats gonna happen to Yin now! ;~;
Aug 9, 2012 7:47 AM
Aug 2012
Lulexiaa said:
OMG... Whats gonna happen to Yin now! ;~;

Watch the second season and prepare to be...
Aug 12, 2012 9:08 AM

Dec 2010
MisterStabilo said:
Ohh, why it had to come to an end...

^I say this quite often, but now I mean it really - it was one of the best things I've watched in anime. I don't know if there would be third season according to this gaiden, but I think I should rewatch ep 1 of S2(because I've watched only this episode from S2) because I might have missed something important connected to it.

Anyway, this episode served as a rather strange finale - you can't say if it was a good or bad ending, but maybe that's the better way to do it, because such good episodes would need either too good ending or the one we actually got(and this is anime after all, such endings are to be expected). Xi-Qi died and I don't like this much - he was indeed a great antihero, and actually had ideals. But, well, this is Darker Than Black - if people weren't dieing this anime wouldn't have been as good. Yin's transformation was great, I didn't know she'd make such great character in the start of the show - both in terms of strength and person. And of course, Hei is good(= too good) as always... no, even better than S1, this is for sure.

And now, it's time for my thorough assessment.

1. Characters. +1. This might have been OVA, consisting of just 4 episodes, but we Xi-Qi who did better than the bad guys in S1. Also Hei and Yin got so much better character development for such a short amount of time.
2. Atmosphere. +1. Hmm, there wasn't a single flaw for even a moment in this gaiden. It was actually this atmosphere I was expecting, when I started DTB back in the time, but it didn't fulfill my expectations to their fullest. I so want more episodes like this OVA ;__;
3. OST. Great OST, the background themes were just perfect and the ED is really good too, imo.
4. Animation. +1. I remember that I despised DTB's animation on start, back in S1, and I'm not sure if I just got used to it(which usually is my case) or it really got slightly better. I think it's great now.
5. Background story. You can't expect real background story in an OVA imo, and we didn't get one here either, but it was ok without it anyway.
6. Storyline. +1. For a 4-episode OVA, we had the chance to witness a real storyline(it wouldn't be possible in 1 - 2 episodes) and it turned out better than what I could possibly expect. At the end contractors turned out to be failed dolls, exactly opposite to what I've(and most of the watchers besides me imo) been thinking. In the same time, dolls can reach their fullest extent of power only when somebody loves them and cares about them. The plot twists were all over the place. And of course, as we're talking about DTB, the storyline was quite dramatic one.
7. Ending. Hmm, I don't know what to say about the ending tho. I didn't really get what actually happened(BUT WELL, we are talking about Darker than Black here >_<) in the end. Still, I liked how Hei changed after he thought Yin was dead. It developed him even further in that direction, where he's actually human in his soul, despite he's got the powers of a contractor and is seen as one by the world to the extent where he's even forced to act like one of em'.
8. Fight scenes. +1. I actually forgot that I had to score this part too. Hm, well the fight scenes were actually good enough, despite this OVA didn't revolve around action as much as some the episodes in Season 1. So I guess it scores a point here.
9. Drama. +1. Drama here was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than in Season 1. Yin almost completely regained her consciousness, but then this turned out to be a catalyst for something really bad. And Hei, completely throwing away his life every moment for her every single second, when she's the last important thing for him left to protect... He couldn't do anything but win me this way. And of course, Xi-Qi - a contractor with ideals, who threw his life away for them. And so much more between the lines. Nope, I just couldn't get enough of it.
10. Overall feeling. +1. I can't say that it just "felt great". This OVA won my support for DTB probably even more than the original first season. As I said before, I just couldn't get enough of it. I just can't imagine what it would be if there were like 26 episodes like these four. I can't reject that it left me deeply impressed. It's masterpiece in my opinion and I rarely score anything like this.
Bonus(extra) point for:... +1. Yeah, it's time for this part of my assessment. I already said it few times, but Xi-Qi impressed me quite a lot and I don't think the OVA would be complete without him. I guess antiheroes are to be expected in DTB, but he somewhat moved me. I'll give him what he deserves. Too bad he doesn't even exist in the character database of MAL... I'd probably even consider him as a Top 10 favorite, if the case was different.

Overall score: 9/10. I don't remember why I scored DTB S1 just 7/10, but if we get more DTB in the spirit of this Gaiden - I wouldn't be able to feel in a better way about these series for sure.
Nov 15, 2012 9:51 AM

Jun 2012
Great OVA series, I loved all the caring moments between Yin and Hei. Hopefully the 2nd season wont disappoint.

9/10
Jan 12, 2013 9:54 PM

Sep 2012
badass hei, i want yo babies
Jan 14, 2013 3:34 AM

Jan 2012
The last episode was really good. Can't believe Yin actually confesed to Hei. Anyway, loved these 4 ovas.

Mar 30, 2013 6:56 AM

May 2012
Quite epic ending, the whole short series was quite amazing, good atmosphere and a nice setting i global! The ending sure took me by surprise it was first like damn she's gone and than we still got some hope! She stays an amazing character to the series! The total ending with Yin talking to someone in that flower field was pretty nice! I really hope we'll see her again in the next season!

Great in global! Personally found the setting better than the first season! Now lets see what the second season has to offer and if we'll see her in it!
Jun 11, 2013 6:48 PM

Jun 2012
that ending is amazing it surely filled all holes that where still open in S2 and cool she confessed to Hei and he was really bad ass here more then ever. I am glad that I didn't finish gaiden and stopped at ep 2 to first see S2 other wise I think I would have enjoyed S2 a lot less.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Jun 15, 2013 11:41 AM

Apr 2013
Robertovk said:
that ending is amazing it surely filled all holes that where still open in S2 and cool she confessed to Hei and he was really bad ass here more then ever. I am glad that I didn't finish gaiden and stopped at ep 2 to first see S2 other wise I think I would have enjoyed S2 a lot less.

I completely agree. I would not have enjoyed Gaiden nearly as much had I not seen season 2 first. I really hope there's a season three too
Jun 21, 2013 8:57 PM

Oct 2011
Actually it would be more interesting if you watch the second season first before watch the OVA.
just like i did :p
you're going to "WTF" when watching the second season and "oh i see.." when watching the OVA.
beside the OVA was released after the second season finished airing.
Jul 5, 2013 1:34 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Oh oops looks like I watched this in the wrong order? I should've watched season 2 and then Gaiden? x_x oh well.

The ending :( It was heartbreaking to see Hei's expression when Yin told him to kill her, and also when Yin/Izanami(?) tried to force Hei to kill her. I guess since she was the last most important person to Hei, she was basically everything to him, so important that he became a drunkard...I kind of laughed at the end because it was like one of those cliches with a drunkard husband and a wife XD I love how that guy carried the baby on his back. Well off to see the season 2 that so many people seems to dislike so much.
Aug 3, 2013 1:03 AM

Sep 2011
The battle scenes were craaazy!!

Overall, awesome last episode, I'm really looking forward to the second season now! :D
Sep 5, 2013 6:27 PM

Dec 2012
A solid OVA, glad I saved this for after Gemini. This bridged the gap between S1 and S2 and answered so many questions. I'm a little disappointed about the collapse of the Syndicate, it seemed a bit anti-climatic. Other than that, I thought the relationship between Hei and Yin was done very well. Things really built up throughout S1 and these OVAs. The fight sequences were awesome, especially when Hei stormed into the building against all those contractors.

With that said, I'll give Gaiden an 8/10. It really kept up to par with the original series and the foreshadowing from Gemini added to the enjoyment on my side.
Sep 12, 2013 1:43 AM
May 2013
I don't know if I should've watch S2 before this, but what it's done is done and now is time to watch S2.

I like how things ended, now I want to see Hei getting his waifu back.
Sep 28, 2013 12:45 PM

Aug 2012
Better than the second season, but still not even close to the level of the first.

I recommend reading Darker than Black: Shikkoku no Hana to anyone who is disappointed with the second season. The manga takes place after the first season and it's nothing like the second season. I think it's great.
alpirSep 30, 2013 2:58 PM
Oct 1, 2013 8:08 AM

Jan 2013
I watched this before season 2, and I had to not read anything above as it looks like many spoilers there.
Oct 26, 2013 12:18 PM

Feb 2013
Wow, so much things packed in one episode.
The fight scenes were amazing.

It was so sad that they got separated in the end. I didn't quite understand the ending though.....

9/10

I hope the second season isn't as shitty as everyone says.

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Jan 19, 2014 7:32 PM

Mar 2013
It's a good thing that I watched this first before season 2 since things were explained properly in the Gaiden. I felt for Hei for losing Yin. Hope to see them reunited in season 2.
Jan 20, 2014 3:25 PM

Nov 2013
This episode was totally amazing, as have been the other OVAs. I still have not watched the second season, but am about to. Have heard lots of comment about how it isn't as good, and little people seem to like it. Still have to figure that out for myself. That ending though!!! And I was totally overwhelmed when Yin said she loved Hei. I don't know if he says it back later on, but for some reason I totally get the vibe that he loves her back too. And not in the sisterly way many have interpreted, but more as something he doesn't wish to lose because she makes him complete. I seriously do hope that somehow they end up together. It's just so sweet the way Yin is devoted to him, and how he cares for her so deeply. HeixYin forever!!! :D
"The most painful lesson one can learn is letting go, but everything in this world is connected and nothing's truly ever gone. She will always be a part of me." -Eiri
Jan 25, 2014 2:44 AM

Jul 2013
huh?... wtf... I hope they explain things properly in the prequel...
Feb 3, 2014 11:14 AM

Nov 2013
To everyone who's doubting that Hei and Yin were a canon pairing in the series: Yin had feelings towards Hei since she said she loves him in this episode among other obvious facts. As far as Hei, there are too many suggestions subtle and not subtle to show that he also had romantic feelings for her. For example the cat/squirrel told Suou that everyone used to be partners back in the day but Hei and Yin were more than that. Another suggestion such as Yin holding and caressing a couple's baby in her hands and Hei looking at her and giving a smile (not something which he does often throughout the series), implying, as I would depict, that he would image her doing that to his child being the child's mother in some future. More obvious suggestions like Hei always stuttering when talking about Yin in the 2nd season, the characters referring to her as his girlfriend (even out of context), him trying to come to her as the main objective of the 2nd season, etc. Just because it wasn't clearly talked upon in the series doesn't mean it's not true.

Hei always tried to protect his sister and Suou (who, as he said, reminded him of his sister and himself), but also Yin. Other characters like Amber just circled around him since he is pretty pimpy.

As far as whether the author planned on Yin dying at the end, we can't say for certain due to interpretation but considering that smile Hei and Izanami shared at the end of season 2, I would say that Hei sorted things out without murder or at the very least just killed the black Yin (Izanami) and not the real Yin (the white one) - since Yin/Izanami did reincarnate into to a boy version.

Anyway, good series. Watched all of it in less than a week. Wanted something dark, and although it had depressing moments, it was still a great series. No rating, just an amazing series.
Apr 10, 2014 3:45 AM
Jan 2010
These specials were really good. From what I've heard of it, I have doubts about going into the second season. Really hope it doesn't ruin this series for me.
May 12, 2014 8:35 PM

Jan 2014
No other work of fiction has ever depressed me more than this OVA.
"Find the twinkle in your smile, chase it on til' morning."
Jun 7, 2014 8:09 AM

Nov 2012
Dem feels... Wishing for season 3.
Jul 7, 2014 1:09 AM

Oct 2013
am I the only one who really didn't care for this
???? at least she's nor dead
[/quote]
Sep 19, 2014 2:39 PM

Jul 2014
Well, at least this ending is more clear than the one in season 2 xD Great episodes with tons of action and the Hei x Yin drama I was expecting.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darker than BLACK - Kuro no Keiyakusha Gaiden Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

chocolaetmaelk - May 26, 2010

146 by YankataY »»
Feb 6, 7:25 AM

» Let me understand this?

Bard_Eren - Feb 5

4 by Bard_Eren »»
Feb 6, 1:50 AM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK - Kuro no Keiyakusha Gaiden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShanaFlame - Mar 24, 2010

175 by YankataY »»
Feb 5, 1:05 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK - Kuro no Keiyakusha Gaiden Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Shiro-cat - Jan 26, 2010

226 by YankataY »»
Feb 5, 6:29 AM

» Why is she emotionless

elChina - May 3, 2013

5 by EmperorThor »»
Jan 22, 2023 4:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.