Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2010 10:52 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Holy Crap! that was some powerful shit...

Very well-done episode, the pacing was perfect, their relation didn't feel forced and the ending was superb.
Jul 29, 2010 5:29 PM

Mar 2010
damn i feel sorry for asahina and even more for ayato, that was some fucked up shit.
Aug 13, 2010 4:00 AM
May 2009
batossai said:
that was some fucked up shit.

couldn't have said it better
Sep 23, 2010 5:30 PM

Jan 2009
What an absolutely fantastic episode.
Sep 24, 2010 9:35 AM

Jun 2008
This is the only episode of this series that I liked.
Well, even more than like, it really was great. Too bad the rest of the series isn't even 1/3rd as good :/.
Oct 19, 2010 3:12 AM

Mar 2009
Really good. I just find it odd that Asahina loved Ayato even though they've never been shown together or interacting much.
Dec 26, 2010 4:37 AM

Oct 2009
fuck...knew this was gonna happen... :'<
Very well executed :)
Jan 19, 2011 12:55 AM
Dec 2008
holy crap, amazing episode, exactly what I've wanted to see, the build up was perfect, everything was there...just amazing
Jan 20, 2011 12:51 AM

Jul 2008
Only question I have is WHY?!
Apr 21, 2011 1:13 PM

Jul 2010
I remember watching this. Oh god, what a powerful episode it was, easily the best one in the series. Can't wait to rewatch this in bd quality.
Jul 10, 2011 4:51 PM
May 2011
AlexSadist-sama said:
Really good. I just find it odd that Asahina loved Ayato even though they've never been shown together or interacting much.
theyv been freinds their entire lives, hell in the manga their dating, but the manga sucks,
Aug 22, 2011 11:39 PM

Mar 2009
what a dramatic episode.
Oct 30, 2011 6:34 PM

Aug 2011
So far best episode just hated it how it ended..if she told him sooner he would have stayed by her side in the last scene
Jan 6, 2012 2:32 PM

Nov 2010
Great episode
"Oh, you want some too?"
Oct 5, 2012 12:18 PM

Mar 2009
dammit~ why should it end like that.... poor asahina...

great episode!
Dec 8, 2012 7:52 PM

Sep 2011
Ever since watching this show little udner a decade ago this is still the most powerful scene I have seen in any show/movie/or anything

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 9, 2012 12:56 AM
Aug 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Ever since watching this show little udner a decade ago this is still the most powerful scene I have seen in any show/movie/or anything

Best episode outside of the ending and rewatching it makes me like this anime even more.
Dec 11, 2012 3:56 PM

Sep 2011
YoungHannibal said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:

Best episode outside of the ending and rewatching it makes me like this anime even more.
yah agreed, though i think episode 24-26 are stone cold masterpiece episodes so its honestly hard to chose between those and this ep.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 29, 2013 10:00 PM

Jul 2012
FRICK
ALL THE FEELS

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Feb 3, 2013 1:22 PM

May 2010
I think what's really happening here is that even though we see the blue blood people as humans, but in reality they have mulian faces.

My only question is why was Asahina attacking him?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 4, 2013 3:59 AM
Dec 2012
Jesus, that billboard light and changing words...jesus christ...so much creativity and so amazingly executed. this is what anime is all about...the whole scene was just near perfect. and fuck...I remember watching this episode back in my high school and I was crying like a faggot....oh man...what an episode.
Feb 14, 2013 1:40 PM

Aug 2010
Confucius said:
I think what's really happening here is that even though we see the blue blood people as humans, but in reality they have mulian faces.

I recommend you to see the first minutes of RahXephon movie to fully understand what’s my point here is. The movie is recap shit but the beginning is important material. In the movie there is a scene in which they talk that there is a type of seal that sealed the old memories of humans within Tokyo Jupiter, therefore those who are inside the dome suffers this effect. When Asahina lefts Tokyo Jupiter, her memories began to arise again, that’s why she suddenly fell in love with Ayato again. The brainwashing was reversed so to speak.

My theory:
First, we have to understand the transformation process between human and mulian to completely understand Asahina's behavior during this ep. A brief explanation:

Dolems are those giant clay mosnters. A dolem needs a driver / pilot that has to be a mulian. The original mulians were in another dimension, so they had no physical bodies on Earth, they’re unable to directly control the dolems therefore they need human intermediaries and for that they had to "connect" with a human . The original mulians connected with human using those "weird helmets" in the head. After that the connection between Mulian original and human can be done, the Dolem can be controlled and their bonds becomes physical, i.e. what happens to the Dolem, happens to the original mulian and the host human who is having his soul shared but when this trasnformation is complete, the host’s soul “die” because it’s completely replaced by the original mulian soul. Curious is how Quon often explains how things work at the world of RahXephon but since her way of talking is extremely odd and twisty, it’s easy to get lost with her unorthodox explanations.

Moving on.
Episode 19: At this time, there is strong evidence to indicate that Asahina recovered her lost memories because the seal that blocked it had been broken since she left Tokyo (see movie) so that's why she goes, from one moment to another, to love Ayato again. But this is a romance that she knows that will not last but she tries to take all the time she has left with the man she loved long ago. I interpreted that Asahina wanted to die because she felt she was losing control of herself. Notice how she had less and less control of her own body, and her memories were fading away, my proof is one of her lines at this same episode 19: "My family… I can’t remember any of them…why?... if fact, I don’t even know who I am anymore… what’s happening to me?”). She sensed that the dolem Ayato was about to fight was the dolem which she had a connection but she stood quiet, so Ayato did not know of that connection. She was prepared to die because she sensed it was just a matter of time before losing it's human soul. She sacrificed herself at the process of transformation by the hands of the man she loved, died with a human heart. It was her wish, so she passed out with a smile on her face after writing that she loved him. IMO brilliant episode, my personal favorite.

So in the end, she didn't want to attack Ayato.
GuigasFeb 14, 2013 1:57 PM
Feb 14, 2013 1:48 PM

Aug 2010
MAL messing up with my comment :/

Edit: fixed
May 16, 2013 2:04 PM

Apr 2013
Can anyone provide a translation of what Asahina was writing down that flickered on the city lights?

Edit: Nvmind, saw this scene on youtube. Fuck, that's depressing.
migohunterMay 16, 2013 2:15 PM
Powerful eyebrows.
Jul 3, 2013 9:48 AM

Dec 2008
This was ONE HELL of an episode! I was blown away...
Jul 24, 2013 1:19 PM

Oct 2010
That was really difficult to watch. Brilliant episode.
Nov 2, 2013 4:53 PM

Nov 2009
Wow . . . That sucked . . . Rather sad ending to their little get away. Anyways, Where the heck is Quon?
Feb 3, 2014 10:41 AM

Feb 2014
It looked to me as if she had no will over her Mu. Ayato should have known something was up though. He saw her blue blood and RahXephon showed up when they were getting all feely which is when her Mu showed up too.

Definitely a tough episode though.
Mar 23, 2014 4:55 PM

Aug 2012
Wow, very powerful episode. Although Asahina didn't get enough development for me to care much about her, the whole episode was beautiful.
I wish the series had more of this. Simple and emotional.
Jun 3, 2014 2:39 PM

Apr 2013
JizzyHitler said:

I agree, it's the same for me. I still consider that episode the best anime episode I watched so far, 10 years later. So impressive.
Oct 12, 2014 1:59 PM

Jun 2012
Nooo. Why did asahina have to die? Kamina finally found what he wanted to protect. Now I feel like Kaminas going to die at the end of the show. Damn it.
Jan 16, 2015 9:05 PM

Jul 2010
This was some powerful stuff.
Feb 25, 2015 1:42 PM

Sep 2013
Why didn't she just told him that she saw her MU? It would of open another way of fighting it without killing her, and why did asahina's MU attacked Ayato?
There's no magical spell to save someone's life.
Mar 19, 2015 11:02 AM

Sep 2013
Goddamn, it was heartwrenching seeing Ayato completely terminate the very thing he was trying to protect. A sad but very powerful episode. Excellent stuff, looking forward to how Ayato develops from here.
Nov 27, 2015 3:56 PM
Apr 2015
Not gonna lie, RahXephon is far from being as good as Evangelion, but this is one of the best anime episodes I've ever seen. Holy shit.
Jan 15, 2017 7:35 PM

Oct 2012
Truthfully, I was just not that impressed. Really, the best aspect were the visual words told through the city lights, which I admit looked pretty creative. But I'm let down because the build up to the drama is simply flat. Ayato and Asahina's romantic bonds just seem sparse and disconnected for me to truly care for them as romantic interests. This series thus far focused on Ayato within the world outside of Tokyo Jupiter, and barely even thought about Asahina beyond that one dream sequence, and even then, his base desires weren't only placed into Asahina but Shitow too. If anything, I was led to believe Ayato and Shitow were going to be the primary love interests, though there have been other female characters supposedly detracting from that development.
What I'm trying to say is that if we replaced Asahina with Shitow for this episode, THAT would had been more moving, though not by much considering how anything in the romance or bonding department for this series is laughably lacking.

Also, why do the sound effects have to be poorly done? Asahina's Dolem sounded so corny, like honestly, it reminded if someone were trying to do an abridged series and voiced over her Dolem with those unintentionally humorous musical voice pitches. Really takes me out of the moment.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
May 23, 2017 7:13 PM

May 2017
This was the first episode of modern anime that made me cry.
Sep 5, 2017 5:04 PM

Mar 2016
Shoryu said:
Ayato and Asahina's romantic bonds just seem sparse and disconnected for me

I don't think it was supposed to be romantic from his perspective. As the one person who doesn't seem to betray his memory of his former life, of course he's going to want to protect her. But of course, I think the scene, although powerful, also gives us some pretty important information about what's going on.

Jun 16, 2019 3:34 PM
Jul 2018
Effective episode. Best one so far minus that Isshiki flashback. Too bad she wasn't around enough for me to care too much. But strong for what it had.

I'm kinda teetering between bad and mediocre for this anime. Hopefully, the remaining episodes can be effective and there can be a satisfying ending.
Jan 26, 2021 2:27 PM

Feb 2012
RahXephon is doing the Gunbuster pose?

Ayato doing things without thinking and basically eloping with Asahina. Ayato doesn't have that good a fashion sense lmao.

So there's two Asahinas; Mulian and human, I think since her body has physically become Mulian (gaining blue blood), the "Mulian Asahina" is just separate consciousness.

Propaganda cartoons...

Of course Futagami follows the trail to the pawnbroker

So my theory is; there's true Mulians (Maya) and half-mulians (Ayato) and then there's the people of Tokyo who were once human but had Mulian "souls" imposed upon them, they will eventually take over their bodies but the first stage is turning their red blood blue. Mamoru is aware of what's going on so his conversion is 100% complete but Asahina is in a conflicting state with her human self in love with Ayato and her Mulian self an enemy of Ayato/RahXephon.

The soul being forced upon Asahina is piloting the dolem that the Rahxephon fought, but at the same time, is channeling the pain and damage to their shared body of Asahina.
Fortress_MaximusJan 26, 2021 2:35 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 31, 2021 2:10 AM

Aug 2019
damn man of course the one person he wants to protect ends up being someone he has to destroy, this was a real good episode
Oct 11, 2021 2:28 PM
Nov 2017
well that lessens the harem...generally i'm into one woman in RL but i admit when it comes to harem anime Rahxephon for example i kinda feel polyamourous on the mC's behalf...it's like i like Haruka but i also like Megumi and i also like Asahina they all have their own appeal..but harems can be a real drag so if a girl within a harem dies it eliminates and narrows the harem making it more easy...starting to sound like a psychopath. it is sad to see her go though...they really had a peaceful connection in that hotel finally settling down and then this shit happens...what a drag
Oct 21, 2021 1:15 AM
Mar 2020
Aww man felt pretty bad for asahina.. very good episode
Dec 7, 2021 12:15 AM

Jul 2009
Great episode!

It's weird how Ayato goes back to Tokyo Jupiter and mentioning how he doesn't know if he'll come back to earth, then an episode later. They're already back here and on the other side.

I know the base were able to track them, but it took them awhile. He was able to get on train with Asahina, lived in a hotel and even work temporarily as a construction worker.

There's no way TERRA would have never found them asap as soon as he applied to that job or when he sold their watches.

At first, I thought Asahina was trying to tell Ayato that her blood was Blue (Since Ayato told her a white lie at previous episode), then I just realized that she was in fact a part of Dolem.

If you look at the shadows, it was revealed that Asahina was that hidden mask despite being opposite with one another.

Her alter look does look kinda crazy O__O

Also, not going to lie. I know Ayato was just trying to comfort Asahina, but you already have Haruka and maybe even Megumi back home.

Must be nice to have this Harem unlike Shinji XD

Guigas said:
Confucius said:

I recommend you to see the first minutes of RahXephon movie to fully understand what’s my point here is. The movie is recap shit but the beginning is important material. In the movie there is a scene in which they talk that there is a type of seal that sealed the old memories of humans within Tokyo Jupiter, therefore those who are inside the dome suffers this effect. When Asahina lefts Tokyo Jupiter, her memories began to arise again, that’s why she suddenly fell in love with Ayato again. The brainwashing was reversed so to speak.

My theory:
First, we have to understand the transformation process between human and mulian to completely understand Asahina's behavior during this ep. A brief explanation:

Dolems are those giant clay mosnters. A dolem needs a driver / pilot that has to be a mulian. The original mulians were in another dimension, so they had no physical bodies on Earth, they’re unable to directly control the dolems therefore they need human intermediaries and for that they had to "connect" with a human . The original mulians connected with human using those "weird helmets" in the head. After that the connection between Mulian original and human can be done, the Dolem can be controlled and their bonds becomes physical, i.e. what happens to the Dolem, happens to the original mulian and the host human who is having his soul shared but when this trasnformation is complete, the host’s soul “die” because it’s completely replaced by the original mulian soul. Curious is how Quon often explains how things work at the world of RahXephon but since her way of talking is extremely odd and twisty, it’s easy to get lost with her unorthodox explanations.

Moving on.
Episode 19: At this time, there is strong evidence to indicate that Asahina recovered her lost memories because the seal that blocked it had been broken since she left Tokyo (see movie) so that's why she goes, from one moment to another, to love Ayato again. But this is a romance that she knows that will not last but she tries to take all the time she has left with the man she loved long ago. I interpreted that Asahina wanted to die because she felt she was losing control of herself. Notice how she had less and less control of her own body, and her memories were fading away, my proof is one of her lines at this same episode 19: "My family… I can’t remember any of them…why?... if fact, I don’t even know who I am anymore… what’s happening to me?”). She sensed that the dolem Ayato was about to fight was the dolem which she had a connection but she stood quiet, so Ayato did not know of that connection. She was prepared to die because she sensed it was just a matter of time before losing it's human soul. She sacrificed herself at the process of transformation by the hands of the man she loved, died with a human heart. It was her wish, so she passed out with a smile on her face after writing that she loved him. IMO brilliant episode, my personal favorite.

I think this is a good summary on why Asahina or her Dolem self attacked the city. I rewatch some of the scenes and was wondering why Asahina is saying she's slowly forgetting her family nor why she was born in the first place. I thought she was having some sort of Amnesia at first, but it makes sense why the mind control is no longer in her head. In fact, the toothpaste scene proves that she can finally see her true blood which is blue.

I think this just shows that Mulian was indeed humans at first, but was taken over by Mu. Though, How did they create a perfect replication of the real earth? Hopefully it will be revealed or just chalk it up that they can do it.

RIP Asahina. At least you were able to tell Ayato what you really feel about him

Also, I always see the dove wing portraits whenever there's some sort of symbolism.

So it during the elevator scene, the paintings and even when Rahxephon was lying down.

They really love the symbolisms in this show XD
Jul 16, 2022 5:17 AM
Jul 2016
Holy Shit.
I've seen over ten thousand anime episodes and this is easily one of the top 10 most tragic episodes I've ever seen. Even almost 10 years latter after I first saw this scene the feels my god...
Jul 16, 2022 5:54 AM
Jul 2016
Veethorn said:

Holy Crap! that was some powerful shit...

Amen.

burntlettuce said:
What an absolutely fantastic episode.

One of the best ever of all time.

AlexSadist-sama said:

It's true that it wasn't well developed but there was an episode showing Asahina looking at Kamina and Haruka from a distance, thought it made it pretty clear that she had feelings for him even though he was 'taken'.

NeosVigilante said:
So far best episode just hated it how it ended..if she told him sooner he would have stayed by her side in the last scene

Yeah but what girl is honest with their feelings? ESPECIALLY teenaged girls they just can't...

JizzyHitler said:

I know right. Still resonates with me almost a decade after first seeing it.

QuiGonJon said:
FRICK
ALL THE FEELS

EXACTLY. The feels are ridiculously. Even if you didn't really care so much for the series up to this point, if you have even half a heart this episode just hits HARD.

Confucius said:

Obviously she was being possessed, tragically so.

Umeharu said:
Jesus, that billboard light and changing words...jesus christ...so much creativity and so amazingly executed. this is what anime is all about...the whole scene was just near perfect. and fuck...I remember watching this episode back in my high school and I was crying like a faggot....oh man...what an episode.

LMAO too funny. But completely understandable.

Zefyris said:
JizzyHitler said:

I agree, it's the same for me. I still consider that episode the best anime episode I watched so far, 10 years later. So impressive.

That's saying something. This series may not be near the top of everyone's favorite but this episode IS SPECIAL. Would recommend rewatching this series many year after the fact, it does stand up to the test of time.

Jose07 said:
Why didn't she just told him that she saw her MU? It would of open another way of fighting it without killing her, and why did asahina's MU attacked Ayato?

She was being controlled/manipulated. Also she's a teenaged girl, they are notoriously recalcitrant with their feelings.

Tenth said:
This was some powerful stuff.

100% yes.

Hannah_Ana said:
This was ONE HELL of an episode! I was blown away...

Same. Just incredible.

Shoryu said:
Ayato and Asahina's romantic bonds just seem sparse and disconnected for me to truly care for them as romantic interests. This series thus far focused on Ayato within the world outside of Tokyo Jupiter, and barely even thought about Asahina beyond that one dream sequence, and even then, his base desires weren't only placed into Asahina but Shitow too. If anything, I was led to believe Ayato and Shitow were going to be the primary love interests, though there have been other female characters supposedly detracting from that development.
What I'm trying to say is that if we replaced Asahina with Shitow for this episode, THAT would had been more moving, though not by much considering how anything in the romance or bonding department for this series is laughably lacking.

It was clearly alluded to that Ashina had feelings for Ayato in a flash back with her watching on as Ayota and Haruka were together(in a subtle envious way). It didn't just 'come out of no where'. Ayato at this point doesn't remember or realize who Shitow was to him in the past but he does think of Asahina fondly as a good friend if not a romantic interest and had decided to protect her from this point forward.

Josiah-Joestar said:
well that lessens the harem...generally i'm into one woman in RL but i admit when it comes to harem anime Rahxephon for example i kinda feel polyamourous on the mC's behalf...it's like i like Haruka but i also like Megumi and i also like Asahina they all have their own appeal..but harems can be a real drag so if a girl within a harem dies it eliminates and narrows the harem making it more easy...starting to sound like a psychopath. it is sad to see her go though...they really had a peaceful connection in that hotel finally settling down and then this shit happens...what a drag

I wouldn't really consider Rahxephon as a harlem considering it's 'only' three girls(harem animes usually have 4 or 5) that were into him and they were never around each other and fighting for his interest at the same time.

SomaHeir said:

Also, not going to lie. I know Ayato was just trying to comfort Asahina, but you already have Haruka and maybe even Megumi back home.

Must be nice to have this Harem unlike Shinji XD

Yes and no. He doesn't remember Haruka and what they were but I guess he realizes there 'is' something between them. As for Megumi, he probably thinks of her as nothing more than a brat. In hindsight I've had times in my life where I had multiple girls interested in me but I did not pick up on the signs from most of them. Basically I missed out and Ayato clear wasn't aware of some of the interest or possible interest coming his way as well. My point is you shouldn't envy a guy who doesn't realize his position lol.

My theory:

Good theory, I agree with the gist of it.

Moving on.

Make sense to me. It should be obvious to all that she did not want to fight the Rahxephon/Ayato and it was beyond her control. Her 'purpose' (control by the mu?) was to drive Ayato into a particular state of mind before the 'tuning'.

All in all, this episode has the most 'feels' of the series, while episode 23 is is the most 'epic' episode. Believe me it's worth re-watching the entire series just for those two alone.
Rain_MachikaJul 16, 2022 3:22 PM

More topics from this board

» Is the MC a crybaby ?

Anowser - Jan 2, 2019

6 by thischeetobussin »»
Apr 6, 5:06 PM

Poll: » RahXephon Episode 1 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 20, 2009

32 by walla »»
Feb 2, 9:17 AM

Poll: » RahXephon Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2013

12 by Dawizz »»
Oct 8, 2023 12:09 AM

Poll: » RahXephon Episode 6 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 21, 2009

12 by OneMoreFinal »»
Oct 1, 2023 10:51 PM

Poll: » RahXephon Episode 12 Discussion

wesley96 - Apr 21, 2009

16 by Dawizz »»
Sep 29, 2023 2:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.