Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jul 17, 2010 7:54 PM

Aug 2008
This show never disappoints when it come to the unconventional. She definitely was a monstrous presence on the show. An awkward one, too. I'm gonna miss her.

By the way, that cute little moment after the ending credits, unnecessary. I was already feeling a little sad. And then you show cute little child version of them sleeping and eating watermelon under the tree. Too cruel.

Jul 18, 2010 8:51 AM
Sep 2008
It was very unique, awesome and outstanding episode, i liked the way they directed the episode.
As usual The dialogue is so entertaining.
However, i think Nanami death is too early, why they didn't make it after couple of episodes?
Jul 18, 2010 4:51 PM
Jul 2009
I think the ep was awsome, not entirely glad with how Nanami's charachter played out, but I did sort of figure she was going to die, when she was left out of the mission from episode one. I mean you can't leave a young girl alone like that for no good reason, so I expected something. Just didn't expect her to be a duble edged sword to her self, I wouldn't call her evil, her acts were her own decision as the only thing she could do. I suppose if she met the right master or something, she could have survived but it didn't happen. Even though she died and did so by baiting Shichika along, she was cool too the end, she even showed her brother how to perfect his skill, gave Togame a nice hair cut, and atoned for her own killing. thats a cool character in my book.
Markr24Jul 18, 2010 4:57 PM
Jul 18, 2010 6:36 PM

Oct 2008
noteDhero said:
I'd say this was second to worst. The worst is absolutely the first episode for me. The 2D stuff was a clever way to sidestep the fact that they had a smaller budget for the episode, but every other facet of the production seemed very cheap in a way that was disappointingly unexpected, especially for such a tense moment of development for Shichika and Nanami's death. Since she's my favorite character on the show, and just one of my favorite characters in a while, I'm very sad that this didn't really capture a whole lot of her despair the way her devoted episode did.

I can't tell if we just have opposite tastes or there is just something about this anime that makes everyone in the audience have mixed reactions for different reasons. I'm not sure if this was my favorite favorite episode so far, but I actually liked it a lot, even with the whole role-playing/retro gaming cutscenes thrown into the episode. And something about the general art direction that made it feel less generic from your average anime and more-so a unique design that tried to stay as true to the original material visually as possible (I'm assuming that was the case anyway. I've only seen a couple of artworks from the novel/light novel).

But I really need to ask, and I'm not trying to start a very heated debate or anything. Just what exactly is the general audience suppose to expect out of watching this anime in which they feel they were fully entertained? Meaning what kind of direction storytelling wise, art wise, etc. is the audience meant to get by watching Katanagatari? Or rather what is everyone suppose to get out of the way he tells this story (assuming the author is male)?

It seems that whenever anyone watches Katanagatari, they get mixed reactions for different reasons. They'll love some episodes and dislike others. Some will love the dialogue, others won't get it. Some will love the artstyle, others won't. Thus it feels kinda hard to make heads or tails out of this anime. It's probably why I've stayed away from watching Bakemonogatari all this time. I've seen the first episode-in-a-half of that show about a year ago and while it seemed interesting, I failed to understand the excitement and praise behind those that watch this show. And if I watched it from start to finish, then I fear I would not get a very positive reaction out of this show and trying to comprehend the hype behind it would frustrate the hell out of me.

But at any rate, my point is in the case of Katanagatari, is there some specific way you need to enjoy this show that I don't seem to know about? I'm merely asking for clarity at this point.
Jul 18, 2010 6:57 PM

Aug 2008
I'll say this one super elitist thing and then move on: I feel like art in it's truest form is personal, evoking a strong emotional reaction. And thus far, I do believe Katanagatari to be one of the shows that is very artful and entertaining at the same time. I personally had problems with the way this episode was done, and I made speculation as to why that is, but that's not to say that I didn't enjoy it. I gave it a 4/5 because I still enjoyed the episode a lot on the whole.

For me, because Nanami is supposed to be the strongest in Japan, a monster from birth, I needed the animation and tension to really support that. I wanted to feel like this was a battle between titans, and instead it felt like a challenge only slightly above last month. In a way, the comic, top-down RPG stuff really detracted from the atmosphere that I was anticipating the episode to have. This wasn't in a funny way like the troll episode that actually ended up being all about Nanami, so I can't really see any justification for a lot of the decisions that undercut the tone.

Now, I'm just one person, though, and a lot of other people responded in the opposite direction, so it is what it is.

I'd say it's the same for Bakemonogatari. You may find aspects of that show that you really love or really hate; you might love the whole thing; you might hate the whole thing; or maybe you'll be indifferent. Look at the hype for what it is. At the end of the day, a lot of people love the show because at it's base level, Bakemongatari is a harem that panders to a few major types. I love it for the dialogue and the relationship between the leads as expressed through it. Other people hated it for that very reason. It's up to you.
Jul 19, 2010 5:25 AM

Aug 2009
Nooooo! Not her pretty hair! The new style does look hot though. Loved the slightly different art style and the video game parts. Very cool.
Jul 19, 2010 10:01 AM
Nov 2008
I don't think there's ever been a case in anime where I've been satisfied with long hair being cut short. This is no exception -.-
Jul 19, 2010 11:20 AM
Jun 2008
@noteDhero
How powerful you want Nanami to be? Killing Shichika in one blow? LOL
Jul 19, 2010 2:24 PM

Aug 2008
Huh?
Nanami needed to die for the story. I just wish the fight would have been better (ie. good). In my perfect world, though, this show would have been about her, she would have joined Shichika and Togame, cock-blocking the whole journey-long.
Jul 19, 2010 5:06 PM
Jun 2008
If Nanami join Shichika,then the explanation of Shichika killing his father wouldn't fit in the story.
If Nanami is not a genius in the first place, her father would have threat her better.
If Nanami doesn't have his stupid sickness, She would have die during the maniwani fight .
If Nanami doesn't has a big reason to fight Shichika(such as killing herself),She wouldn't even have left that island and killing of Itezora clan and wipe out he entire priest in the forsaken mountain.
If Nanami didn't wipe out the clan of Itezora clan, then Shichika won't be dealing with simple minded kids that protect the sword solely because of loneliness.
Anyway, since I am late for my work maybe I should just get straight to the point LOL
I don't like clichéd in the story...
Jul 19, 2010 11:10 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
noteDhero said:
In my perfect world, though, this show would have been about her, she would have joined Shichika and Togame, cock-blocking the whole journey-long.
This is so wrong! ;____;

An alright episode. I really love how I can see how much Shichika has changed.
p r o f i l e đź‘€
Jul 20, 2010 10:01 PM

Feb 2009
Guess I'm not the only one who thought that this series is very similar to Muramasa: The Demon Blade. This part was such a blatant reference:

Jul 21, 2010 1:58 PM
Dec 2007
Great creative and emotions-filled episode. Katanagatari is a fascinating series, really epic and with huge developments each month, which is a prowess in itself.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 22, 2010 5:42 AM
Jul 2018
DoubleDango said:
The ED brought me to tears.
This. Well I didn't particularly cry, but it was a rather perfect song for this episode. Nanami ;____;

And please let Togame's hair grow back. I know I couldn't get used to her short hair. Psh.
Jul 22, 2010 1:53 PM
May 2008
noteDhero said:
Huh?
Nanami needed to die for the story. I just wish the fight would have been better (ie. good). In my perfect world, though, this show would have been about her, she would have joined Shichika and Togame, cock-blocking the whole journey-long.

This.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jul 23, 2010 4:56 PM

Apr 2009
Didn't bother to read everything, only the last page, I came in too late but I'm finally back on schedule with Katanagatari.

I also thought this episode had a lower budget, and thought that the game-like scenes were a very clever way to disguise that fact. But that's not the only thing: a lot of stuff was simply worse than other episodes.
Let's talk about the things I hated the most: the closeups. When the camera zooms on someone, you expect it to be as neat as before zooming. This time around, you could count pixels: it was a pathetic digital zoom. Frequent scenes like that (I can count 3 by memory) killed the mood and took me out of the immersion in the story.
On top of that, we see a lot of expedients to draw less and obtain more lengthy scenes (Maniwani walking, rotating room with blur effect when Togame and Nanami speak...).

I can't believe they did THIS to the episode I've been waiting since Nanami came out of the closet. The plot was good enough to be the most intense episode of the whole series, and they scattered cheap tricks all over it.

Oh well! You can't stop a journey like that, you have to go on, and so will I. Let's just cross fingers for August.
Jul 26, 2010 12:19 AM
May 2010
Good Bye Nanami , ill miss u

Aug 1, 2010 10:28 PM

Apr 2007
Thank god she died, and didn't turn in to some sort of retarded end-boss.
Aug 2, 2010 5:49 AM

Feb 2009
What a beast episode... sure Nanami wasn't exactly the likeably character type... but she was a great character and in the end through her strangely acts she showed some humanity.

Togame's hair =( well she still looks good ^^
Aug 7, 2010 6:26 AM
Dec 2009
Why did this episode look like a bad Flash animation.
Also, Touhou parody.
Aug 7, 2010 6:21 PM

Nov 2008
This show may only come out once a month, but the writing and storyline are worth the wait.

How sad he was given no choice but to kill her.
Aug 8, 2010 8:15 PM
Apr 2010
this was one of my fav episodes of katanagatari xD

i hate togame's new hairstyle it was best long but the story was great
love the background of the shichika clan
what a brutal family code to live by
will miss nanami
xD
youngmindAug 8, 2010 8:34 PM
Aug 14, 2010 1:49 AM

Nov 2007
tsubasaloverAug 14, 2010 2:12 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 18, 2010 12:59 AM

Dec 2009
Togame's hair! :( *cries*
Aug 29, 2010 1:25 AM

Jan 2010
Great episode, The 2D part is so funny, Togame's Hair now is so cute well I'm kinda sad that Nanami died :(
Sep 2, 2010 12:39 AM
Jul 2009
The 2D part reminded me of the game Muramasa for the Wii. They even used a similar sound for the encounter with that guy. Then they used shmup for Namami's rampage. LOL.

I can't decide whether I really liked or hated this episode. Nanami was just killed off. Togame's hair was cut.

I really should have waited until this series was over to watch it but I was getting extremely bored with the stuff that I'm already watching & have in reserve.

That's what I get for marathon-ing. Guess it's time to watch 8.
Sep 4, 2010 8:52 PM

Apr 2010
This episode was interesting, Nanami the scary bitch is finally dead, what a relief. Togame's hair is gone, not too bothered about it but i think longer hair suited her better. Shichika killed his own family, jesus christ! Glad Nanami is finally dead, she wanted to die, in my opinion that's very weak. The final fight could have been better/more dramatic, it seemed too quick. We should've been able to see the individual attacks in focus because at this point i remembered the epic fight between Azula and Zuko if that rings a bell to anyone, that's the kind of thing i was expecting from this fight, but sadly we didn't get that. What i mean is we should've seen each attack getting dogded, blocked, or hit because when they were moving in this fight it seemed kind of repetitive if you know what i mean. But all in all i loved this episode, now i'm gonna watch the eighth episode. I really like the little brother and sister moment after the closing sequence, but the introduction to this episode gave me goosebumps. The narrator shouldn't spoil like that, it's pretty unfair to us viewers, i mean just because the novel is already out and people have read it doesn't mean that the viewers of this series have also read it, give us a break, tell us about something that doesn't spoil the fucking episode.
Sep 24, 2010 5:41 PM

Nov 2008
Manly tears were shed :*
Oct 2, 2010 4:59 AM
Aug 2008
Hm, this episode was quite okay i think..
but i need to know the name of this hip-hop song at the end of the episode -___-
Oct 18, 2010 7:29 PM
Oct 2008
I really don't know how I didn't see it coming ... yet this show is getting to be somewhat depressing ... Shichika seems to kill everyone in his path (save for Ara ... the guy in armor, and the Itezora kid which I could've sworn died when the Maniwani chick absorbed her) yet I didn't expect the little sickly girl to go psycho in ep 4 and then obligate her brother to kill him it really took me by surprise ...
aksdmklsmalasOct 19, 2010 12:52 PM
Oct 21, 2010 9:30 PM

Mar 2010
Definitely the most emotionally touching episode do far. Greatly due to the sister-brother relationship and how they grew up in terms of lifestyle and events. However, I am extremely sad to see the passing of Nanami. As she was the most frightening character I've ever seen in anime (spoken and action wise) :P. I'm still looking forward most to the relationship building between Sachika and Togame! Next episode, here we come!
Oct 28, 2010 11:08 AM

Jun 2009
Really liked this episode.

"You weed, weed, weed, weed, weed!" Now I understand how Nanami view others, all are weeds.

Love the video game bit ^_^ Notice how she miss the bonus monk during one of the game scene... those that give extra points?

Interesting to see Togame contribute to Shichika's new ultimate move, she really did picked up a bit of Kyotouryuu.

"How would you fight her?" "I wouldn't!" great answer...

Nanami do have a rather evil side don't she? ^_^ "It's all good,"*change face* "or is it all bad?"

In the end, Nanami messed up her final line as her evilness creeps in "Good job killing me!" evil smile to scar Shichika for life.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 3, 2010 7:27 PM

Feb 2010
AirStyles said:
Really liked this episode.

"You weed, weed, weed, weed, weed!" Now I understand how Nanami view others, all are weeds.

Love the video game bit ^_^ Notice how she miss the bonus monk during one of the game scene... those that give extra points?

THIS. nothing else to say.
Nov 14, 2010 1:31 PM
Jul 2018
If it wasn't for the poor animation and ridiculous side-view scene this could be an epic episode but it wasn't because of those, it ruined the mood completely.

And please don't spoil stuff of later episode or things you've read in the novel....
Nov 21, 2010 10:35 AM

Jun 2008
She needed to die, yes she was a great character, but that's just the way this anime is...
Dec 11, 2010 6:02 AM

Jul 2010
poor animation?? you call this episode having poor animation and low budget?? how dumb do you guys can get, the drawn lines are heavy thick, characters fully detailed as well with the backgrounds, and the different style is used to give artistic touch to the show just like with bakemonogatari, and how you expect a epic fight?? an epic fight between siblings fighting each other, i think the show managed to pull off the much needed ''emotional fight'' between them, if it have shown flashy moves and the so called epic fight, the audience's focus will be in fight itself instead of in ''emotion of the siblings in the fight.''
AmberFebruaryDec 11, 2010 9:21 AM
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Dec 11, 2010 12:56 PM

Nov 2007
wow. that was sad, epic, depressing, and hints of other things all rolled into one.

But I did love it when it went all RPG.
sadness about the hair. i love when they laid down together with her hair wrapped around him. extremely adorable. speaking of, I want to see some action with them. lol, not the one where you think they are doing it but turns out to be something else.

ANYWAYS. overall, dont know if I love it or hate it.
Dec 30, 2010 12:13 AM

Apr 2009
Good, that annoying mary sue died after all, the show is getting better.
Jan 2, 2011 12:57 AM

Jan 2009
Togame is quickly becoming one of my favorite anime characters.
Her strategy to defeat Nanami was BRILLIANT!

It will take time to get used to the new hair though...this is Nina in TTGL all over again! Gahhh!! XD

Jan 5, 2011 1:25 AM
Sep 2007
This ep was kinda blah, and Togame strategy was not brilliant, anyone who can think clearly, would of figured it had to do with something to make Nanami not see.

I haven't read the manga for this, but it as to be a whole lot better then this anime. It started out awesome, but its be getting really blah, with the lame Nanmi fight and before that, the Sabi fight or not even showing that fight.
Hi
Feb 19, 2011 4:42 PM

Jul 2010
Wow this was kinda heavy, poor Shichika. Had to kill his father (who's suspected of killing his wife and who tried to kill Nanami) and now his sister....

I still don't like Nanami, she's kinda... annoying? Well now they aren't able to show her in the anime anymore but well I didn't hoped for this either.

Togame's new hair style is quite shocking but I don't dislike it :)

Shichika's new move is really cool ^^ I hope he'll use it again, maybe in the next episode?

Well it was a good episode (with a lot of background information) but I hope next episode will be a bit lighter? I mean a fight between siblings is really heavy if u ask me.
Feb 21, 2011 8:12 AM

Aug 2010
Glad she's dead. I thought her character sucked and her power was utter bullshit. She could gain the physical strength of the Itezora clan just by SEEING their strength? How in the world does that make sense? As I said, I'm glad she's dead.
Jun 24, 2011 3:41 AM

Sep 2010
Was I supposed to feel bad?
Sep 6, 2011 2:14 AM

Jan 2008
Can anyone please help me? There's something i couldn't understand (or missed) Why did Mutsue (Shichika's father) kill his wife? Did they ever mention that? I thought she also tried to kill Nanami. If that's true, we have a tragic chain of murders. Mutsue kills his wife who tried to kill their daughter. Then he also tries to kill her and gets killed by his own son who is trying to protect his sister. After a year and a half, that boy kills his sister. O_o
Sep 25, 2011 5:19 AM

Oct 2009
Amazing episode, loved the RPG bit,still..i don't feel too bad about Nanami's death, it felt..right? >.> EH..great ep either way, cute ending.

RIP Nanami.
Sep 26, 2011 10:59 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Wtf is going on... feels like skipped alot

EDIT: That ep was depressing D:
DesolatePsycheSep 26, 2011 11:41 AM
Dec 21, 2011 5:38 PM

Feb 2011
Nanami's sadistic smiles doesn't disappoint when it comes to scaring the crap out of me. I have mixed feeling about her, since she seems to be nice, pretty attractive (I sometimes think she looks better than Togame) and all that, but suddenly that smile comes and she changes to like some hyperpsycho muder bitch.
May 20, 2012 2:05 AM

Feb 2008
Wow, there's a lot of idiots in this thread that have no idea what they're talking about.

Loved this episode, though I feel like Shichika's sister died a little too early on and it could have been used better towards the ending. This episode also made me realize how damn great the soundtrack is.
May 24, 2012 1:11 PM

Aug 2011
Pretty sure I heard both the Black Butler and Samurai Champloo OST in this episode. One of the previous eps also sounded like it had Ghost in the Shell OST's as well. I guess they're taking a lot of inspiration of similar shows to match the feel of the episodes.
Jun 26, 2012 7:24 AM

Feb 2012
It would be better if the show made a bit tragic the death of nanami. Now i'm sure, Nanami is one of the scariest women in the anime world i've ever seen.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» END SPOILERS - I’ve Never Witnessed Such Epic Implosion

deaf_amish_guy - Jun 6, 2020

10 by Nesquikscope »»
Mar 31, 1:16 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 8, 2010

180 by ariharan_ars »»
Feb 3, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Dec 10, 2010

631 by I_LIKE_ANIME_SO »»
Jan 3, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hana-kei - Apr 16, 2010

419 by watsym »»
Aug 13, 2023 10:05 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2010

333 by Dumb »»
Jul 30, 2023 5:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.