MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Shiki Episode 1 Discussion

Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Poll: Shiki Episode 1 Discussion


#1
07-08-10, 12:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 900
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
An excellent first episode. I loved the atmosphere they set and will eagerly await the 2nd episode.

My favorite summer series so far.
 
#2
07-08-10, 12:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 469
omg>< was kinda scary definitely something fishy about the ppl that live in the mansion.
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
 
#3
07-08-10, 1:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 354
Shiki is kind of my dark horse pick for the season. I don't really know how it's going to go, but it's certainly interesting enough to keep watching. Definitely think/hope that there'll be some decent nightmare fuel in the series.
Ha-cha!
 
#4
07-08-10, 1:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 220
Boring first episode. I guess there will be some vampires living in european style house preying on villagrs. Also character design gets on my nerves (who the hell draw that hair?).
 
#5
07-08-10, 1:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 314
First episode looks interesting. It had a trippy OP and animation. Megumi was pretty annoying, hope she doesn't resurrect or anything >.>.Time sure advanced fast in one episode too, from August 2nd to the 15th. There's also the mysterious Kirishiki family. Who would honk their horn like that to ask for directions?
Modified by Kracksickles, 07-08-10, 8:52 PM

 
#6
07-08-10, 1:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 128
This anime looks promising. I really enjoy the art style. Megumi got on my nerves for a little while, so I was kinda happy when she died. Although I'm assuming they are going bring her back some how v_v
 
#7
07-08-10, 1:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 3403
For me the first episode was too boring =/
 
#8
07-08-10, 1:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 359
It looks somewhat confusing... Not sure if I'll continue this :P


 
#9
07-08-10, 1:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1452
Ah, slow paced psychological horror, is there any other kind? Oh wait... In any case, weak first episode, but still, it's just setting the stage, not really gonna change my expectations until we dive further in.
 
07-08-10, 1:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 582
I didn't see anything really appealing from this episode. I hope I get a better idea the next episode.
But so far, Occult Academy surpasses this as the better supernatural show for the summer.
 
07-08-10, 1:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 18342
Sherr said:
I didn't see anything really appealing from this episode. I hope I get a better idea the next episode.
But so far, Occult Academy surpasses this as the better supernatural show for the summer.


ARe you seriously comparing a mainstream comedy series to psychological thriller/horror series like shiki? What is wrong with people nowadays.....


-----------

Loved the first episode. Its good that they stuck with manga and manga designs and did not try to mainstream-ize everything.

The only gripe is that I saw the whole truck-driver scene as mroe of shocking, than they did.

5/5 easily.

This as well as HOTD are the only good shows this season...
 
07-08-10, 1:42 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 2152
That was one hell of a head trip. The animation would switch from normal to deranged on the fly. And as per usual, I'm completely entranced into the mystery. (But when is Gackt-sama showing up!?)

So yeah, this, Xros Wars, HOTD and Occult Academy seem to be my main watches this season.
 
07-08-10, 1:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 25614
okay the first ep sucket
 
07-08-10, 2:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 18342
Kannei said:
okay the first ep sucket



No this won't have yaoi.
 
07-08-10, 2:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 25614
xD damn my bad

still this sucks
 
07-08-10, 2:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 900
Kannei said:
xD damn my bad

still this sucks
Yeah, this ain't for you.

Kuroshitsuji 2 is more your style.

Leave the psychological/horror stuff to its fans.

I thought Uragiri sucked. But I didn't go into an Uragiri thread just to say that. Cause I wasn't part of the audience it was trying to catch.
 
07-08-10, 2:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 303
_Vid_ said:
As long as it'll be better than Ookami Kakushi I don't care. ;p


That's not exactly difficult...

I get why people wouldn't like this. Not an awful lot happens and I doubt anything will happen at any significant pace for quite a while yet.

Placing a bet on what will happen: Most people will drop after a few episodes. Those who stayed on will get treated to a fantastic finale that all causes them to overrate the show and forget the boring earlier episode. Thanks to MAL's system of disreguarding votes from those who didn't watch beyond a certain % of the show's length, this anime will get rated far higher than it deserves
The Cart Driver <-- My awesome anime blog
 
07-08-10, 2:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1314
There's definitely something wrong with that house. What normal house has that much mist around it?

This is pretty good tho. Megumi died, but she was annoying anyway.
 
07-08-10, 2:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 18342
5camp said:
_Vid_ said:
As long as it'll be better than Ookami Kakushi I don't care. ;p


That's not exactly difficult...

I get why people wouldn't like this. Not an awful lot happens and I doubt anything will happen at any significant pace for quite a while yet.

Placing a bet on what will happen: Most people will drop after a few episodes. Those who stayed on will get treated to a fantastic finale that all causes them to overrate the show and forget the boring earlier episode. Thanks to MAL's system of disreguarding votes from those who didn't watch beyond a certain % of the show's length, this anime will get rated far higher than it deserves


Don't expect fast developments.


Its slow psychological series that focuses on atmosphere and characters enduring it.

If they go faithful to manga, the first more major plot development will be around episode ~3 or ~4 and that is a vague idea on what is causing all the stuff.



The feel of series is....imagine sitting in complete dark, with only a handful of people together with you, by the fire, in dark dark forest, with animals howling around. Thats the atmosphere the show is building up.
 
07-08-10, 2:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 303
Fai said:
5camp said:
_Vid_ said:
As long as it'll be better than Ookami Kakushi I don't care. ;p


That's not exactly difficult...

I get why people wouldn't like this. Not an awful lot happens and I doubt anything will happen at any significant pace for quite a while yet.

Placing a bet on what will happen: Most people will drop after a few episodes. Those who stayed on will get treated to a fantastic finale that all causes them to overrate the show and forget the boring earlier episode. Thanks to MAL's system of disreguarding votes from those who didn't watch beyond a certain % of the show's length, this anime will get rated far higher than it deserves


Don't expect fast developments.


Its slow psychological series that focuses on atmosphere and characters enduring it.

If they go faithful to manga, the first more major plot development will be around episode ~3 or ~4 and that is a vague idea on what is causing all the stuff.



The feel of series is....imagine sitting in complete dark, with only a handful of people together with you, by the fire, in dark dark forest, with animals howling around. Thats the atmosphere the show is building up.


I didn't say I expected otherwise. I liked the episode. I just said I understand why others wouldn't like it. Face it, not an awful lot happens to get excited about
The Cart Driver <-- My awesome anime blog
 
07-08-10, 2:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 92
i know the first ep was too....slow
the next episodes will probably be great
this episode is just the introduction i guess

im looking forward to the next ep
i gave this ep 5/5 because even if it was slow it was well-written



 
07-08-10, 2:24 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 180
I didnt know anything about this series before I watched it
I remember seeing the manga somewhere but I never read it
I thought it was pretty good but then i read the synopsis and it said it was about-

I really dont like it when the the animes page gives away everything
now I dont even feel like adding it to my anime list (not just because I dont usually like shows about vampires) but also
If you take out all the suspense out of a series like this it makes watching it a hole lot less interesting.
Modified by dragafire, 07-08-10, 2:34 PM





 
07-08-10, 2:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 957
I was anticipating this anime and it did not disappoint at all. The character designs look great and they really built up the atmosphere. I seriously can't wait for the next ep.
 
07-08-10, 2:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 493
Just as anticipated, a great introduction but the character designs makes me feel like something from Highschool of the Dead or earlier art like this.

Megumi was annoying, but she died. There's a slight problem with my theory but I believe she WILL be resurrected probably because she's a main character, but that could be wrong.

Otherwise, it lives up to my expectations. Surprise me even more Shiki! (9/10)


 
07-08-10, 2:42 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 135
great 1st episode, this show and HOTD are the 2 best shows of the season so far.
great atmosphere, great suspence,looking forward the next episode.
 
07-08-10, 2:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 3167
Meddigo said:
Leave the psychological/horror stuff to its fans.


I enjoy psychological horror and I still found this to be a very weak episode.

While this episode wasn't exactly terrible, it was pretty weak. It starts off on the poor base of having some really bad characters... I mean, it's only the first episode and I've already been given two characters who seem like complete pricks. The character design is awful, though. I mean just freaking look at it.

This seems to be following the template that Higurashi set out, which is a shame, because I really didn't enjoy Higurashi as a horror all that much. Hell the only thing in all of anime/manga that I have actually enjoyed as a horror is Uzumaki, a truly good psychological horror.

The dialogue is pretty weak, too, with some blatant exposition thrown in. "That European house built on the site of an old house". Would anyone actually bother to mention the old house if it wasn't in some way important?

That said, the ending was well-executed. While I didn't enjoy the episode, the ending made me want to see more, and there's something to be said for that.

I'm not going to write this show off yet, but it doesn't look good.
 
07-08-10, 3:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2670
Megumi was definitely one of the more interesting characters and to kill her off in the first episode, I was left quite devastated.

Very interesting in general though, I wish she comes back somehow.
 
07-08-10, 3:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 485
Bada-ba-ba-baaa. I'm lovin' it.
 
07-08-10, 3:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 5769
Kurogashi said:
Megumi was definitely one of the more interesting characters and to kill her off in the first episode, I was left quite devastated.
Very interesting in general though, I wish she comes back somehow.

If you wan to be spoiled


Lind_L_Tailor said:
This seems to be following the template that Higurashi set out, which is a shame, because I really didn't enjoy Higurashi as a horror all that much.

No no no. Original novel by Ono Fuyumi is older than Higurashi.
Modified by OrochiPL, 07-08-10, 3:15 PM
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
 
07-08-10, 3:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 582
Fai said:
ARe you seriously comparing a mainstream comedy series to psychological thriller/horror series like shiki? What is wrong with people nowadays.....

What is wrong with comparing the two summer shows?
Both shows are categorized here on MAL as being both the horror and supernatural genres.

I don't really care if a show is mainstream or not. If I enjoyed one more than the other, that's the honest truth you can get out of me.
 
07-08-10, 3:19 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 266
Great first episode. Slow yes but it followed the manga quite nicely and it starts off slow. I don't care what anyone says it may be an odd style but I love the way the characters and the artwork in this anime is designed. It is quite unique style in a time where most of what we get is very moe and cute character designs. I am so glade this finally got an adaption.

I loved the ending sequence too, it was a nice song and the animation was lovely. :3 Need Moar Nao.
 
07-08-10, 3:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 551
Pretty creepy.

Best vampire anime I've ever seen and I only saw episode one.
 
07-08-10, 3:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2175
it was sure confusing, but i'll try to finish it ;)
 
07-08-10, 3:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 3167
OrochiPL said:
Lind_L_Tailor said:
This seems to be following the template that Higurashi set out, which is a shame, because I really didn't enjoy Higurashi as a horror all that much.

No no no. Original novel by Ono Fuyumi is older than Higurashi.

Oh, really?

Well, a lot of what I was referring to goes for the visual style and the directing, so my comment is still kinda valid. Nonetheless, the point is, it follows the style of something that didn't have particularly great horror.

Or maybe I'm just setting my standards too high after Uzumaki.
 
07-08-10, 3:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1416
This episode was boring, I was expecting something scary/creepy from the very beginning but they presented all the characters and shown us Megumi bitching about the normal life in a normal village, it didn't captivate me as much as Highschool of the Dead and Occult Academy. I'm not really fan of this kind of art too.

I'm pretty sure she'll come back to life though.

 
07-08-10, 4:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 676
I was starting to worry they weren't going to kill her, but thankfully they did.
 
07-08-10, 4:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 254
I don't like megumi.
 
07-08-10, 4:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 306
I love who ever killed Megumi....
 
07-08-10, 4:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 225
kerobear said:
omg>< was kinda scary definitely something fishy about the ppl that live in the mansion.


I agree. But, something was (also) kinda scary - there is definitely something fishy about the HAIRSTSYLES XD
Atleast the males are looking somehow...weird
 
07-08-10, 4:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 136
Good first episode. As I hoped, Shiki didn't disappoint me. Slow episode introducing characters and building up tension. Loved the art.

Still I feel like there's something missing when comparing it to the manga.

Great BUCK-TICK opening.
 
07-08-10, 4:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 37
the dog is my favorite character
 
07-08-10, 4:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 10067
Character designs are a bit weird, but the little simple humour got me hooked. And then the whole environment is strange.

Very strange. Stuff like this creep me.

The animation also looks promising.

Seriously, I've never been so excited with an airing series since Code Geass.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
 
07-08-10, 4:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 89
It looks interesting.. and I hope it will get better ^v^
Ever since they introduced Megumi I was waiting for her to die ^^ hehe
 
07-08-10, 4:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1081
Good first episode.
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
 
07-08-10, 4:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 923
Meh.... First episode really didn't live up to my expectations. Hoping this doesn't mean it'll be a repeat of Ookami Kakushi....
 
07-08-10, 4:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 341
Slow anime is sloooooowwwwww
 
07-08-10, 4:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1041
the character design is so horrible i don't think i'll be able to watch any more of this...
 
07-08-10, 5:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 1043
Lind_L_Tailor said:
I enjoy psychological horror and I still found this to be a very weak episode.

While this episode wasn't exactly terrible, it was pretty weak. It starts off on the poor base of having some really bad characters... I mean, it's only the first episode and I've already been given two characters who seem like complete pricks. The character design is awful, though. I mean just freaking look at it.
This. I'm a big fan of a slow pace to create an atmosphere, but at this stage, the atmosphere isn't anything great either. Anyway, as long as the story develops nicely it should still turn out interesting.

For now I'm starting it at 6/10 until either the atmosphere is better developed or the story kicks in. Unlike Highschool of the Dead, it definitely has potential, but whether it will reach it is another story.
Modified by llamaben, 07-08-10, 5:07 PM
 
07-08-10, 5:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 604
Decent, but boring first episode. I am still interested though. First episodes usually always stink...

The character was okay, besides the hair. The hair looked like a drunk two year old drew it.

I haven't read the manga or anything, but this anime keeps making me think of werewolves for some reason. Two of the characters [including the man who lives in the mansion] had hair shaped like wolf ears. The woman who lives in the mansion makes me think of a vampire... God, I hope this isn't like Twilight...


 
07-08-10, 5:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 900
Yep. Fuyumi Ono created Twilight in Japan 7 years before Stephanie Meyer.
 
Top
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »