Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 18, 2010 12:42 PM

Mar 2010
That Angel was actually pretty funny :D
And yeah, I think that this thing with 0,00001% is just to get viewer excited... Well, this strategy is starting to fail, because they use it almoost every episode.
Overall, nice ep.
Oct 8, 2010 8:53 AM
Jul 2010
Ishikatsu said:
And yeah, I think that this thing with 0,00001% is just to get viewer excited... Well, this strategy is starting to fail, because they use it almoost every episode.
Overall, nice ep.

Yeah, I agree. Too low rates of success are starting to seem extremely unrealistic. But well, they didn't had much time nor did they know exactly where the Angel was gonna land so it wasn't as simple as it seemed. But surely not 0.00001%.
Nov 14, 2010 6:07 PM

Jul 2010
Ishikatsu said:
Overall, nice ep.

Indeed. The computer doesn't take into account plot armor :(

Excusing that, another nice episode as usual with some really nice Eva animations. A bit of back story on Misato, and it's nice to see the three kids getting along. Shinji also discovers his reason for piloting the mechs.

At this point though, I'm hoping they'll go into 2-3 episode story arcs, rather than single eps.
Feb 12, 2011 12:04 AM

Aug 2010
That was kinda stupid. So much for .000001% chance of success. I was expecting some epic operation and that crap only lasted like 5 seconds. Misato backstory was nice. Everything else was predictable and wow Shinji....you never fail to amuse me.
Feb 21, 2011 7:41 PM

Sep 2009
I miss orange Unit 0.
Operation was pretty cool.

Shinji realizing he is piloting for praise from his father...Maybe I'm just insane but I figured that out in the first two episodes.

Penguins make the best dinner guests as well.
May 8, 2011 4:42 AM

Oct 2008
Nice teamwork.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jun 2, 2011 2:59 AM

Aug 2010
Sabinlerose said:

Shinji realizing he is piloting for praise from his father...Maybe I'm just insane but I figured that out in the first two episodes.

me too lol i thought i was pretty much self-explanatory at first
Jul 2, 2011 11:05 AM

Feb 2010
Nice teamwork.
Im loving this anime just for Asuka and Misato.
Signature removed. Please follow the site rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 5, 2011 4:40 PM

Dec 2010
Shinji indeed is an idiot!
Nov 15, 2011 4:48 AM

Jul 2009
NGE constantly fails at building drama with this "0,0000000001%" stuff.

Humanity could build humongous mecha. We've seen 3 so far. "We won't mass-produce them, becouse we won't" or something - OK. Got it.

And what's the best weapon that any humongous mecha can wield? A knife!

W
T
F
?

Don't tell me that after building something so advanced (evas) people couldn't invent any long range weaponry that could blast through those at fields.

The whole NGE universum is being torn apart by logic.
Nov 21, 2011 9:29 PM

Mar 2010
I was expecting this episode to be way more epic and controversial! What happened?! Really? I think they over hyped it a little too much and didn't come through at the end. But, I still found myself to enjoy it, to say the least. Looking forward to the next!
May 7, 2012 5:19 PM

Feb 2012
It was really cook that the kids saw through the steak dinner but pretended like it was awesome to help out Misato. This episode was a little disappointing sense they did it so much better in the rebuild but that was to be expected.
Dec 9, 2012 12:51 PM

May 2012
Great episode, thought there for a second we were heading in to disaster but it was actually solved quite easily without any problems! Good episode that praising from his father was quite nice! Must be the first time he heard those words!
Jan 9, 2013 9:07 PM

Apr 2012
Well that operation with an almost impossible chance to succeed actually went smoother than some of their previous ones.

Also, I'm not sure about anyone else but I kind of had a Majora's Mask flashback this episode.

Evangelion:

Zelda:
Feb 25, 2013 10:29 AM

Jan 2013
All these episodes don't need to be episodic.
I wouldnt mind a large scale fight lasting more than an episode.
Mar 15, 2013 1:46 PM
Apr 2012
-z- said:
supersayen said:
So this operation had a success rate of 0,00001%... really ? It was the easiest mission they've done so far LOL.

Yeah, this success rate dumb-assery is starting to remind me of Power levels in DB (and the inflation those suffered...)

Well anyway, it was an ok-ish ep I guess. The interaction between the children was nice as always, and the angel looked stupid enough to be somewhat cool.

Why the hell is everyone worrying about the unrealistic succes rate? Why is no one questioning the actual need for that mission? Why did they have to stop it from reaching the ground like that after which it still kinda hit the ground and still went with a big bang? Wouldn't the same damn thing have happened if they did NOTHING? Im just saying...

Btw did anyone count how many times Asuka used the word "Baka" after she first appeared? I do know it quit being funny a looooong time ago.
Mar 25, 2013 4:46 PM

Feb 2012
Very interesting info considering this episode.

Thoughts from Episode 12.

It was nice that finally some info about Misato's past were revealed. And that she got that scar on her chest for "Second Impact" so I guess her father saved her or was it her mother.

I am actually suprised that Shinji's friends know some of NERV stuff. And Misato also getting promotion to Major. Of course she can't be happy about that while thinking back those happening what Second Impact brought with it.

So my guess is that Misato's father either created Angels or at least he was researching them maybe he also designed EVA's. And he also had some info considering Second Impact.

this "South Pole" or "Dead Sea" like that NERV commander said was what was left after Second Impact. It looked like slimy sea with red blood on it. Maybe this is also one that Misato's father researched 15 years ago. So that would mean Ikari knew Misato's father at somepoint at that time. Maybe they were research partners or something like that. (Plot hole?)

So Misato joned NERV to revenge her dad even her dad didn't love her at all. So it similar to Shinji's father. And Shinji's reasons finally revealed I was waiting this long time. But it was really simple one just wanted to be noticed for good deads for his dad. Ikari finally speaking to Shinji was awesome moment. Asuka wanted to show off just piloting EVA. And Ayanami wanted to use her powers to save mankind.

That mission rate was definitely unneeded for this mission. Maybe it was just to scare people to think they would fail :DD that will Misato asked to write for Shinji, Asuka and Rei was weird oh was it because if something would happened she would been responsible for that. LoL that mission for defeating Angels were same kind of stuff like always. It's like huge Spirit Bomb that AT Field Angel shoot. And they all run defending it.

Best parts: Misato's past. That huge explosion, Kaiji coming with Ritsuko to the party, and everyone eating Ramen together
Apr 6, 2013 12:37 PM

Jun 2009
I love how people are complaining about the success rates and all that. Really, why does it matter? What about all the excellent character moments in this episode? The stuff with Misato was great, her discription of why she is working for Nerv was pretty interesting stuff and how it ties into Shinji's relationship with his own father.

Also, I think Shinji's realization was pretty powerful stuff. Okay, you could argue that it's obvious, but I'm sure everyone here as come to a realization that was pretty obvious in hind sight. Also, I love the meaning behind Shinji's "I mustn't run away" line. And, as always, I love the interaction between him and Asuka as always.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 20, 2013 12:13 PM

Aug 2012

4ever and ever
Apr 26, 2013 7:47 AM
Feb 2011
^Took me quite some time to understand that picture.

Anyways, disregarding how that Angel was quickly defeated, I loved the character interactions in this episode. More Rei, at least.
Apr 29, 2013 7:15 AM
Jul 2018

How many times was Shinji called by Asuka "idiot"? XD
Jun 27, 2013 8:13 PM

Dec 2012
It was okay, but this kind of episodes are getting a little old. I want more emo-Shinji and character development.
Jul 30, 2013 1:59 PM

Jul 2013
It was pretty cool although not much happened until the end. That angel looked bizarre.
Aug 10, 2013 4:15 PM

Oct 2009
This is getting filler-ish.
Sep 8, 2013 9:21 PM

Sep 2011
Zerachroma said:
Such a simple reason...

I work a lot harder when someone praises me, but I guess this was kind of simple considering hes risking his life to do so. LOL
Sep 20, 2013 9:57 AM
Oct 2011
It was nice to get back story on Misato, and I found it interesting how her relationship wiith her late father parallels that of Shinji and his dad. Though somehow I have a hard time imagining Gendo loving Shinji enough to sacrifice himself to save his son.
Oct 11, 2013 6:40 PM
Jul 2018
PLANETof1 said:
Getting real lucky with these 0.001% chances it seems

Seriously.

Also, that ending theme is so relaxing...
Oct 13, 2013 7:56 AM

Aug 2012
Asuka doesn't bother me at all, since she is only 0,00001% as irritating as some people I know in real life.
Dec 16, 2013 5:27 PM

Dec 2012
I like all the talk of sin and how Antarctica is basically hell (or heaven???). Can't wait for the super bleak shit to begin, though this stuff isn't bad at all.
Dec 22, 2013 3:25 PM

Aug 2007
I can relate to Shinji, though.
I think I work a lot harder and become a better person because there are a couple people who I want to impress.
Of course I do things in a way that I'm doing it for myself as well, but there is definitely something about getting praised by certain people that makes it worthwhile.

Dec 25, 2013 9:18 PM

Jan 2013
Aw poor Shinji, I relate to him too. It's so hard sometimes being around a lot of people, I would hate Asuka if I had to live with her. She's so annoying and so loud sometimes.

I'm glad Shinji is figuring it all out though.
Dec 29, 2013 9:47 AM
Jul 2013
Moonfrost said:
What I also didn't get was how come they used bare hands instead of using guns?
From what I understood, guns can't get through the AT field. And I think their hands can create their own AT field to counter the angel's field.

Moonfrost said:
Oh and I'm starting to think that the second impact was caused by humans itself. Probably they're the ones who made the Angels too. Just a thought.
Yeah, I was thinking that too. Shinji's dad must have had something to do with it.

orzel286 said:
Humanity could build humongous mecha. We've seen 3 so far. "We won't mass-produce them, becouse we won't" or something
It would be a waste to build more because only some special people can pilot them.

Phaetons_Folly said:
It was really cook that the kids saw through the steak dinner but pretended like it was awesome to help out Misato.
Agreed :)

It really was predictable that Shinji had daddy issues. Still nice to see his dad praising him.
Feb 18, 2014 6:32 AM

Oct 2013
yeah for such a low succes rate they killed it
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 18, 2014 7:34 AM

Aug 2013
They got reaaally lucky there.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 7, 2014 1:58 PM

Dec 2013
these "angels" are some of the strangest monsters I've ever seen.

"miracles happen because people make them happen!" What? That goes against the meaning of what a miracle is.

I wonder how dark this will get...
Love and Peace!!!
Mar 24, 2014 1:40 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
It may be a stupid reason for Asuka that Shinji is piloting an Eva just to get praised by his father, but if Asuka were to know of Shinji's past she'd change her mind. I mean Shinji has really grown as a character since the 1st episode and right now he feels more calm when piloting an Eva.

As for the mission Rei saw more action compared to the last episode where all she did was act as back up. I hope there is more Rei x Shinji as well.

May 6, 2014 9:11 AM

Jun 2013
It was an okay episode. It was pretty cool to see a little backstory of Misato at the beginning. Also I lol'd at Asuka getting jealous of Shinji. Plus they got to eat at a ramen shop, only because Rei doesn't eat meat. Is Rei a Vegetarian? Hmm, interesting. I will keep watching to find out more!
Jun 7, 2014 6:22 AM

Aug 2013
Loved the backstory on Misato.
My Candies:
Dec 8, 2014 5:03 PM

Nov 2013
Success rate of 0,00001% lol. My ass.

Rei hanging out with the rest of the gang <3 I'm getting a little tired of Asuka referring to Shinji as an idiot though.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Dec 25, 2014 10:27 PM

Apr 2014
ClawViper7 said:
It was okay, but this kind of episodes are getting a little old. I want more emo-Shinji and character development.
lmao same

It was a bit anticlimactic with this angel's defeat. it was over in like 5 seconds. They could've added more tension to it, considering they were being asked if they wanted to write a will. They did add suspense in the movie though, so that's good.
Jan 3, 2015 1:18 PM

Dec 2012
With every episode I hate that Asuka bitch more and more.
Feb 1, 2015 10:21 PM

Nov 2012
These absurd % predictions are really cliched. Other than that, the show is still going strong. It just needs to get to the deep stuff soon.
Feb 13, 2015 4:17 PM
Dec 2013
ClawViper7 said:

^ this
the first episodes were awesome but now its gotten generic
where is all the "deep" stuff people keep talking about?

Oh well on to the next episode
Feb 16, 2015 11:10 AM

Oct 2013
... These Angels are looking more and more horrifying... o_o

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Apr 20, 2015 9:14 PM

Dec 2013
supersayen said:
So this operation had a success rate of 0,00001%... really ? It was the easiest mission they&#039;ve done so far LOL.

Phew, I'm glad I wasn't the only one picking up on this. The show's getting real annoying with these success rates when it's barely putting in any time to showing how or why it would seem so diffucult. Battles generally end up the same without a scratch to their skin.

Misato's backstory was kind of nice though.
Apr 29, 2015 3:01 AM
Nov 2014
Feels more like a filler episode, but it was okay. That angel was one huge ass motherfucker though.
May 30, 2015 5:30 AM

Jan 2013
The "red" sea, Second Impact site.
Shinji finally got praised by his father after defeating the Angel.
Jun 2, 2015 10:03 PM

Sep 2014
The power of friendship. Ep 12.

Pros:
Plot:Falling angels equal meltdown. Though it is a bit more of a Misato ep exposing her past and similarity to Shinji.

However a big hint was exposed with the flashback to 2nd Impact. It may not have been a natural disaster but a man made one but the specifics of what Misato's father and those involved are still a mystery.

Characters: Misato is the star here and she manages to take charge and prevent 3rd impact once more. Her similarity to Shinji is the highlight of her character and exposes complex issues of hate and love. It also helps fuel her drive to destroy the angels but her argument with Ritsuko shows that it may end up costing a life or more. Not a good thing but on the threat of extinction, Misato's wishes line up with Nerv.

Shinji also takes a step forward and has found his resolve to not only pilot but finding out what he wants. Now the 3 Eva pilots have the similarity of finding their reason for piloting besides survival. Asuka's is reminiscent of her personality and Rei's has been covered.

4/5. The characterization continues to shine and grow as the angels are killed off one by one.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Jul 10, 2015 5:49 AM

Jan 2014
That Antarctica, daym O__O
Another one-eyed Angel, hehe >_>
Aug 11, 2015 12:31 AM

Aug 2015
Kind of a boring episode, tbh, but it wasn't bad. ★3/5
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
Yesterday, 9:46 AM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

71 by SodaPopFrequency »»
Yesterday, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

197 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 22, 4:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.