Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 1, 2010 11:17 AM

Jul 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Now THAT'S an ending. Very compelling. Probably one of the best finales for any show I've seen. I must say, the two noitaminA shows were probably the best this season. I liked the slow pacing for Saraiya Goyou, although it did sometimes get a bit boring. Still, very enjoyable.

8/10.
Jul 1, 2010 1:09 PM

Dec 2008
I enjoyed the show, but I wish there had been more action. Mainly because what action there was, was so well animated and awesome. It also would've served to emphasize the fact that Masa was a more than competent swordsman.

Still, it was a good show. Although, for some reason, I wanted Masa and Yaichi to kiss at the end. I don't know why! I read quite a bit of yaoi, but I had never thought of this show from a fan-girl's perspective until the last couple of minutes. It just crossed my mind, at the end, "Man, this would've been a damn good yaoi." I need to get my head out of the gutter.
Jul 1, 2010 1:43 PM

Jul 2009
DrRoboto said:
I enjoyed the show, but I wish there had been more action. Mainly because what action there was, was so well animated and awesome. It also would've served to emphasize the fact that Masa was a more than competent swordsman.

Still, it was a good show. Although, for some reason, I wanted Masa and Yaichi to kiss at the end. I don't know why! I read quite a bit of yaoi, but I had never thought of this show from a fan-girl's perspective until the last couple of minutes. It just crossed my mind, at the end, "Man, this would've been a damn good yaoi." I need to get my head out of the gutter.

The original creator is mainly a yaoi writer and writes A LOT of yaoi.
Jul 1, 2010 1:47 PM

Jun 2007
Yaichi crying made me love him even more! I want a second season now! This show was my favorite of the spring season. I loved everything about it. I wasn't bored at any point in the show.

Jul 1, 2010 2:22 PM

Apr 2009
The music and how it complemented the backgrounds really stood out for me this episode.
Yaichi chomping the dango at the end was cute.

This was good show, one that I looked forward to every week =) 8/10.
Jul 1, 2010 2:27 PM

Jun 2007
hikoghert said:

Yaichi chomping the dango at the end was cute.

I totally agree!

Jul 1, 2010 3:42 PM

Dec 2008
controlmajortom said:
The original creator is mainly a yaoi writer and writes A LOT of yaoi.

Oh, lol! I might just check out her other stuff then, hahaha.

hikoghert said:
The music and how it complemented the backgrounds really stood out for me this episode.

I agree! I don't know why I didn't really notice it until this week, but the BGM is really fantastic for this series. The coy accordion bit almost gave it a film noir sort of feel, which was totally awesome, and fit the story surprisingly well. The opening was great, too, although I didn't like the ending. It was a good song and all, but I didn't think it fit at all.
Jul 1, 2010 4:21 PM

Feb 2009
What a nice little treat this show was. I think I was expecting a darker ending for it but it's all good nonetheless. I love the art, pacing, music, direction and almost everything about it. It could have wrapped up better than this, since we saw dramatic changes in Yaichi all at once and it was kind of inconsistent with the pacing of the show and felt rushed to me. Maybe if this episode was broken into two episodes it would have been better. But all that won't change the fact that I enjoyed every bit of this series. Gonna give it an 8.5/10.

Jul 1, 2010 5:01 PM

Nov 2007
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 1, 2010 5:46 PM

Aug 2008
Easily the best show this season. Really close to being a masterpiece, but not quite there. 9/10. Best Manglobe series I've seen.

A second season would be nice. I'm not sure how much of the series ended up being animated, but it wasn't much at the halfway point of the series.
Jul 1, 2010 6:33 PM

Mar 2009
What an incredible show from beginning to end. Very atmospheric, believable character interactions. The episodes with Yaichi at the end elevated it to a 9/10 for me.

Anyway, I feel bad for the people who stopped watching it because of the deliberate pacing; their loss.
Jul 1, 2010 6:40 PM

Mar 2009
Very solid show, second best this season.

8/10
Jul 1, 2010 8:04 PM

Jun 2010
A very impactful episode, lots emotion, a nice action scene and everything is well explained as a sum up. And of course the semi yaoi moment at the end, I wonder how many possible fan girls this anime has?

Im happy, this and the ending of Tatami Galaxy really boosted my spirits, this is what anime really is.
Jul 1, 2010 11:03 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
gozaru.

Jul 1, 2010 11:06 PM

Jul 2008
Like others have mentioned, I was really noticing the accordion this episode, in a good way though. I really enjoyed this series overall, a small look into these characters lives, not too much information, but enough for one decent length series. All the characters ended up growing on me, Yaichi especially.

BEGINNER
Jul 1, 2010 11:38 PM

Nov 2007
As a Masa/Yaichi fan I was VERY happy with this ending, but if I weren't a fan I'd be disappointed. Very anti-climactic. Wish we'd gotten to see Masa fight at least once! There's also a lot missing from some of the characters' backgrounds (hate to keep banging on about it, but I wanna know more about Otake, damnit!) and like someone else mentioned, Yaichi's characterisation felt a bit rushed this episode.

Overall I really enjoyed this show, and am giving it a 7/10, on par with Ristorante Paradiso. If this episode was better then it might have gotten an 8 from me.

Anyway. Season 2 pls? >:D

Edit: This show was my 200th completed show. Couldn't have thought of anything more fitting! :]
yamakasiJul 1, 2010 11:50 PM
Jul 2, 2010 12:59 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
DrRoboto said:
It just crossed my mind, at the end, "Man, this would've been a damn good yaoi." I need to get my head out of the gutter.
You're not the only one, lol.

hikoghertYaichi said:
chomping the dango at the end was cute.
I definitely agree. It was the best last scene they could have picked.

Loved this series. 9/10 and I can't wait for more noitaminA!!
p r o f i l e 👀
Jul 2, 2010 1:51 AM

Apr 2009
Well, that was my second favourite this season, only topped by Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei (which I'm gonna complete in half an hour, I can't wait for that episode, so my post here won't be long 8D). Despite the slow pace, it kept me interested, which is a very hard thing to do. And I mean VERY.

The crying scene...let's just say that Sakurai made me cry too. And when Yaichi ate from Masa's hand, wow o.o Talk about last-episode character development.
Also, the music x3 Heh.
Now, onto that last Tatami Galaxy episode! WHOOOSH
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jul 2, 2010 1:56 AM
Jun 2008
This episode was great, it really turned me around as I was starting to go off this show.

I think overall the plot (not story) hasn't been to quite the same level as the direction and artwork which are both really fantastic.
If there was a bit more information on the characters (just a bit) and maybe one more Masa fight this could have been much more popular. I wouldn't hold out hope for a 2nd season, but it would be nice.

Has anyone read the manga? How does it compare?

Anyway this ep 5/5 overall 8.5/10.

I'm off to watch Tatami Galaxy to make my life complete.
Jul 2, 2010 3:12 AM

Jul 2008
I was disappointed that I didn't get to see Masa fight >:(
I neeeeed masterful Manglobe action scenes!!!
buuut
I loved the Yaichi/Masa in this episode
and especially the rare emotion from Yaichi
(wow it really did get close to being yaoi >__>
buut I wouldnt mind that XD)

Overall, I found myself entertained through each episode.
The characters (esp. Yaichi and Masa) really made this enjoyable for me. I loved their distinct expressions, mannerisms, and backround.
The art, in my opinion, is gorgeous. The backround music only adds to that. I would really like a second season for a fight or a failed kidnapping (I was waiting for it to come, they can't be perfect forever..)

8/10
Jul 2, 2010 3:21 AM

Dec 2009
Nice episode , finally someone get killed !
Overall the show was ok , a little booring sometimes but ok . 7/10 .
Jul 2, 2010 3:35 AM

Aug 2008
blu_d said:
Has anyone read the manga? How does it compare?
VIZ is releasing it online at

http://www.sigikki.com/index.shtml

The current chapters released go about halfway into the anime. Consider the anime a word for word adaption up to that point, with the addition of the flashbacks (I can't say if they were anime original, or just appear later in the manga).
Jul 2, 2010 4:35 AM

Jul 2007
One of the most beautiful shows I've ever seen. This was such a great and touching episode. Finally an ending that wraps things up and even though it was only 12 ep it did not feel rushed. Just perfect.
Jul 2, 2010 4:45 AM

Nov 2008
what a treat this series was. 5 star ending.

was interested in some more series from Ono...too bad I can't fin any(or better said the ones I'm interested in)
Jul 2, 2010 7:14 AM
Sep 2008
SolapharJul 2, 2010 7:23 AM
Jul 2, 2010 8:20 AM

May 2010
The ending of this show was pretty darn good. You actually got to figure out that Yaichi the servant had nothing to do with the kidnapping.
Jul 2, 2010 9:28 AM
Nov 2008
I thought the ending was underwhelming. And really, giving what I was expecting from the beginning of the series, overall I'm disappointed. This ended up being a very character/backstory driven show, which is all fine and good, but what I wanted based on the beginning was an action/plot driven show. It really wasn't much of that.
Jul 2, 2010 10:26 AM

Dec 2008
I loved it. It was a slow anime but it felt really peaceful and somehow endearing even in the saddest scenes.
DrRoboto said:
for some reason, I wanted Masa and Yaichi to kiss at the end. I don't know why! I read quite a bit of yaoi, but I had never thought of this show from a fan-girl's perspective until the last couple of minutes. It just crossed my mind, at the end, "Man, this would've been a damn good yaoi." I need to get my head out of the gutter.

Same here. I'm looking forward to eventually reading the rest of the story. It seems it's already finished, 7 volumes!
Jul 2, 2010 11:20 AM

Jan 2009
Meh anime was meh, from beginning to end, not good, not bad, somewhere in between.
Oh well, at least Yaichi was a pretty cool guy~
And I liked Okinu too, even though she didn't really appear much. Oh and.. Masa's.. Sister.. Whatever her name was xD...

On a different note, there were at least two different cats all together, one fat cat and one slimmer cat, weren't there?
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 2, 2010 1:40 PM

Nov 2009
The story was pretty good besides they didn't make this interesting at all. I don't mind slow shows but i felt like i was going to fall asleep at some points. I really liked the Matsu arc because it built up some suspense, but the other ones were not engaging.

This episode i found myself saying... We already figured this out, so who cares? The only emotion that peeked my interest was Sei when he heard Ichi didn't hand the order for the kidnapping, and the shock and crying that followed. To top it all off Masa stays pretty useless, hence why i liked the Matsu arc where he actually did something.

I can appreciate the story we have here but due to my inability to engage with the characters, which is the only thing going for the show, 7/10.
Jul 2, 2010 2:39 PM

Aug 2009
The thing about this show is that it was so easy to zone in and out... I think I need to either rewatch this or take up the manga. But from what I did understand was good. I give this a 9/10
Jul 3, 2010 4:37 AM

Apr 2009
Expected something like "Ristorante Paradiso", which was quite ok, but this show exceeded my expectations. Very beautiful and atmospheric, shows like this is the reason i started watching anime.
Jul 3, 2010 6:45 AM

Feb 2010
Great Ending. I really loved this series :)
Art, characters and atmosphere were really to my liking and drove the show.
I could really enjoy for of this ^^
9/10 for me.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 3, 2010 7:40 AM

Apr 2010
I almost though that Yaichi was about to die when he ran into that guy. :o
Great ending! 8/10

Optime olere occisum hostem!
Jul 3, 2010 9:17 AM

Oct 2008
I also wanted Masa and Yaichi to kiss in the end even though I was struggling to slash something in this show yet Masa and Yaichi are too cute to avoid. In my sick little mind they did screw at the whore house where Yaichi lives.

Still, I wonder about that job that he told Matsu in the end...
Jul 3, 2010 1:45 PM
Mar 2010
Best show this season with a solid ending, which is rare in anime. I watched 9-12 today after holding it off due to the slow pacing. Glad I picked it up again. 9/10 Rating.
Jul 3, 2010 2:40 PM
Dec 2007
As any ending should be, it was the pinnacle of the series, the episode where all the chracters' development and plots merge and reach their climax. And as expected, the subtle and detailled atmosphere of the show helped for the success of this ending. In conclusion, the series delivered all its initial promises : it was a very good slice of life and character-driven show set in the Edo bakcground. 8/10

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 3, 2010 8:17 PM

May 2009
Superb animation and art; very detailed. Superb music. Wonderful atmosphere and pacing. Nice characters and a great story.

In other words, this anime was damn awesome.
Jul 4, 2010 5:37 AM

Apr 2010
Woo, this was an awesome ending!
I loved the whole series, I enjoyed every episode, was relaxing every night when i watched them :)
Superb animation and graphics, the pacing was fine for me, we could have got more information about the characters though, but the plot was interesting.

Poor Yaichi :<

9/10
SilgrondJul 4, 2010 5:41 AM
Jul 4, 2010 9:28 PM

Jan 2008
That was a good closure. This show is one of my most looked forward in terms of sub releases. So, that means how good this is. What stands out in this show is the great quality of voices which fitted each character.
Jul 4, 2010 11:42 PM

May 2007
The ending was bad, everything else was pretty decent.

Jul 5, 2010 9:36 AM

Jul 2008
I LOVE that the last scene is Yaichi taking a bite out of Masa's dango. *_*

I can't wait to pick up the manga.
Jul 5, 2010 12:30 PM

May 2008
Well, a perfect ending to a unique and impressing series. I loved the last scene with the switched stances somehow it created a frame to the whole series.
9/10 for me~
Jul 5, 2010 1:25 PM

Apr 2009
8.5/10 would be perfect. However, since it's impossible, I'll give it a 9/10 - after all, it's the second best series in its season (Rainbow is still better, the rest proved to be mediocre tier at best). The ending... well I'm not the only one who thought 'yaoi?' for a sec, right? Nevertheless, the time I spent on watching this was definitely worth it.

Jul 5, 2010 4:20 PM

Aug 2008
Why the last episodes couldn't be shown in the glory of 720p is beyond me. I just caught up from episode 8 after trying to wait for someone to pick it up, but I just couldn't hold back any longer. I need to finish Tatami, but this might be the best original of the season, if not the year thus far. Like everyone else, every single element was excellent in the show, but something unexplainable was missing. But since I feel like that's my fault for not being able watch week to week, I'll round up the 8.5 I want to give it to a 9/10.

I knew Yaichi and Masa weren't going to kiss at the end, so instead I was like, "Just bite one of the dango off, then...please." And I got what I wanted as a compromise!
noteDheroJul 5, 2010 9:17 PM
Jul 5, 2010 8:36 PM
May 2008
^ Pretty much that.

Beautifully subtle series.

9/10
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jul 6, 2010 4:24 AM

Jun 2009
whee do you watch that i cant find it anywhere ??
Jul 6, 2010 4:42 AM

Aug 2008
Since I live in America, I can watch it on Hulu. I'm not sure if anyone outside the country can, though.
Jul 6, 2010 1:50 PM

Mar 2009
Yes, the show was really damn awesome, I could watch a hundred more episodes of this.
Everything is so well-balanced and the atmosphere is mysteriously captivating. I am completely in love.

I wish my english was better ._.
Jul 9, 2010 3:03 PM
May 2008
I kept coming back to look for the next episode until I realised that the 12th was actually the last. This ending is so not... ending the story at all -.-
Otherwise it was a good watch!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Saraiya Goyou Episode 5 Discussion

Dunky - May 13, 2010

38 by Dywei »»
Jan 28, 4:49 AM

Poll: » Saraiya Goyou Episode 7 Discussion

plagalcadence - May 27, 2010

32 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
May 20, 2023 1:18 PM

Poll: » Saraiya Goyou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

bbobjs - Apr 22, 2010

68 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
May 16, 2023 2:01 PM

Poll: » Saraiya Goyou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

bbobjs - Apr 15, 2010

129 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
May 16, 2023 4:36 AM

Poll: » Saraiya Goyou Episode 8 Discussion

Dunky - Jun 3, 2010

36 by Flonex »»
Sep 17, 2022 11:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.