Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 2, 2010 2:05 AM
May 2010
Thank you, Quarkboy. I enjoyed your speculations and your translations and ...

I called it. I called it so well! Hahaha.
Jul 2, 2010 2:27 AM

Apr 2009
ionphantom said:

I thought this was interesting.

Yeah o.o That means she was the one responsible for the time-rewinds? ;) Hai, 8000 yen!

Whaaaa, that was just mffff x3 I started crying at one point, just from the sheer awesome of the breakout/saving Ozu scene. The moths were all the moths from all the 4.5 tatami rooms that flew out, right?
And, heh, of course it was ultimately Akashi (through her Mochiguma) that made it possible for Watashi to escape the MADNESS tatami 'galaxy'.
I re-watched the 'icky love' scene at least 7 times, that's how epic Watashi turning to Ozu was xD
Anyway, best show this season. I feel like Summer will be crap because of how good Spring was with the likes of this and Five Leaves, Arakawa and still on-going Drrr& FMA:B, to name the few.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jul 2, 2010 2:33 AM
May 2010
I didn't get that until my re-watch. But that kills any theories that the alternate reality was synthesized by Watashi.
Jul 2, 2010 3:07 AM
Jun 2008
IN-CRED-I-BLE!!!

I almost fainted from awesome overload when I saw the ending for the opening.

Cenedess said:
I feel like Summer will be crap because of how good Spring was with the likes of this and Five Leaves, Arakawa and still on-going Drrr& FMA:B, to name the few.
I am soooo glad I stumbled accross this show, did everyone find this show that way? Imagine if you never saw it (chills down my spine). So now I've got no choice but to try every new show this season even though I think we all know that summer....sigh. But still there's always hope.

And thank you Funimation and Quarkboy for subs! I really hope Funimation will do things this way a lot more in the future (or if they already do: keep up the great work!)

I was torn between a 9 and a 10 (I refuse to open up a can of worms by giving out 9.5's).
onaname said:
Though so much anime is mindless drivel, I've always thought of it as an amazing medium full of potential.
Screw it this kind of awesomeness has to be supported 10/10!!!

There's so much more I want to say but I should probably leave it there.

BEST OF THE SEASON!!!

edit
BEST OF THE YEAR!!!

@physics223
Just read your in depth analysis, there's so much I didn't know - I'm soooo rewatching in a few months. LMAO at truancy, that's what I call prioritising.!
blu_dJul 2, 2010 5:12 AM
Jul 2, 2010 4:05 AM
May 2010
@blu_d

I'm calling it as best anime of 2010.

I gushed 2000+ words on the final episode. Yes, it is awesome.
Jul 2, 2010 5:49 AM
Jun 2008
After watching the ending,
I guess this is the most underrated Anime for the season. ^^
9/10
I guess the first episode sure makes alot people loose their interest in the first place...
Jul 2, 2010 6:43 AM
May 2010
@blud_d

Priorities, indeed. Anime is what helps anchor me in medical school. Thank you for reading my article.

To the others who have read my article, thank you as well. Thanks a lot.

(Please leave comments if you guys can!) :)
Jul 2, 2010 6:49 AM

Aug 2009
BEAUTIFUL visuals! To me, it's the best aspect of the entire show.
And amazing voice-acting. Especially for 'Watashi', Christ Almighty.
Sad that it's over. The whole episode was worth watching just for the flustered Ozu; so cute! x3

Each episode makes me crave ramen. Shame I can't eat it D=
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Jul 2, 2010 6:54 AM

Aug 2009
physics223 said:
@blud_d

Priorities, indeed. Anime is what helps anchor me in medical school. Thank you for reading my article.

I've been reading every week :D

Jeez, I think from now on, Yuasa should do more anime. Pretty much every thing he does is genius.
Jul 2, 2010 7:10 AM
May 2010
garfield15 said:
physics223 said:
@blud_d

I've been reading every week :D

Jeez, I think from now on, Yuasa should do more anime. Pretty much every thing he does is genius.

I think this was his best work because it was the one that was the most approachable among them. There was still his usual style, but it's a problem that's just rooted in reality and contemporary issues, and that's what (for me) puts it above the other shows that Yuasa produced.

I agree. He's the kind of guy you just have to watch out for because everything that comes out from him is golden eggs. That meticulousness in this populist medium is just so welcome.

Thank you for reading my articles, as well. I really appreciate it. :)
Jul 2, 2010 7:53 AM

Nov 2007
physics223 said:
I'm calling it as best anime of 2010.

Amen.

This episode was a freaking masterpiece! I can't believe that so less users actually saw this great Anime; what a shame!
The OP/ED switch was brilliant, definitely had me fascinated right from the start!
If it weren't for the 3 Love-Triangle Episodes involving his "Johnny" I'd give this Anime a 10.

9/10 from me.
Jul 2, 2010 8:58 AM

Aug 2008
Hmmm, its pretty interesting to see that my 4/10 is the lowest "completed" rating for the series atm (I was going to give it a 3, but the last 2 episodes were good). And there's only 3 5/10 "completed" as well...

While I haven't seen any Yuasa animes before (Kaiba is on my plan to watch list, after about another 50-100 animes), I don't think that is the problem. I'll admit I never liked the animation, but I didn't hate it either. The only real problem I can name is the almost emotionless voice of Watashi... But is that enough to make me dislike the whole series? I'm not sure...

It's definitely a strange feeling to not know why you dislike an anime that pretty much everyone else found brilliant...
Jul 2, 2010 10:16 AM

Mar 2010
Well, I have little to add. Fantastic anime, best one to come out this year and yet another great success for Yuasa.

It's annoying when ending is this good - since I have nothing to criticize and don't feel like praising it with meaningless words that don't get even remotely close to awesomeness of the experience itself...

Well, I would've loved to see more Akashi! But that isn't a criticism; only a wish. :P

10/10
Jul 2, 2010 10:28 AM

Nov 2007
Great finale. I can't give it more than a 7/10 since I honestly wasn't too entertained by the rest of the series, but watching it sure paid off in the end. Oh well, best series of spring season (which doesn't say much, but eh).
Jul 2, 2010 10:31 AM

Nov 2009
Just briliant !!!

God that was amazing i had this scored 9/10 but after this finale its a shame if you dont give it a clear 10/10.

I didnt even noticed at first that they changed the OP and ED but lol i really loved the "OP" for the first time in this series XD

Gonna rewatch this after few months. Now waiting for the specials.
Jul 2, 2010 10:35 AM

Dec 2007
The ending truly was fantastic, and while this series was very enjoyable to watch, I'd have to put it slightly behind Kaiba though ahead of Kemonozume in terms of Yuasa shows, but that may change.

I won't pretend that I was able to catch all the meticulous references to the parallel worlds of Watashi throughout the series, and this is one that I'll definitely have to rewatch to fully appreciate in my opinion.

That said, I'm giving it a solid 8/10 for now. This was my favorite show of the Spring season. I hope Shiki can fill its shoes well in the Noitamina slot.
Jul 2, 2010 10:50 AM

Nov 2009
Oh my god! I still can't find words to describe this show. Best of 2010! Ah, the scene where Watashi was running to save Ozu was incredible. I felt, once again, how much i love The Tatami Galaxy.

-->Waiting for the specials<--

^^

Anime industry needs more shows like this one!
Jul 2, 2010 12:07 PM

Oct 2009
I didn't enjoy it as much as everyone here did. I don't think it's a bad show, but it failed to keep me interested past the first few episodes. 6/10
Jul 2, 2010 2:14 PM

Nov 2009
It is another one of those brilliant shows that just don't deliver much in the entertainment category for me. I am giving it a 8/10. I enjoyed trying to figure out what was going on with the time reversal, that tricky fortune teller, and how everything was interconnected. I just didn't anticipate it very much when it came out, but maybe it was the inability for Watash to finally change until the last episode.
Jul 2, 2010 2:45 PM
Dec 2007
"Nothing else is as boring to tell as a story of successful love." Best anime sentence of the year. Extremely well placed too.

The finale of the show was fantastic, but I'm very tired right now, so I'll need to watch it a second time to catch all the details. Only thing that I know is that it was a clearly satisfying ending with really nice developments and the usual Yuasa touch. Will comment again later, but 10/10 of course.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 2, 2010 2:54 PM

Mar 2009
5/10
Jul 2, 2010 3:01 PM

Aug 2009
llamaben said:
The only real problem I can name is the almost emotionless voice of Watashi...

Lulwut?

The monotony of his narration makes sense and made it easy to watch.
His non-narration voice had plenty of emotion. My respect for his seiyuu has now multiplied loads.

But yeah, I'm interested to know what people DIDN'T like.
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Jul 2, 2010 3:18 PM

May 2008
Brilliant end for a brilliant show, easily 9/10, anime need more shows like this.
Jul 2, 2010 3:34 PM

May 2008
I loved the end, it's perfecly fit for the show.
This was one of the best series of the season, I loved it, maybe the most original show I have ever seen. I'm overhelmed. Totally~
Jul 2, 2010 4:16 PM

Mar 2008
Perfect! The Pure Masterpiece! Nothing more to add. BRAVO Yuasa Masaaki!
Jul 2, 2010 4:57 PM

Sep 2009
This show is so beautiful! Top favorite now. ♥
I cried and laughed through the whole episode; and brilliant ending.

Now I'm kind of melancholic because the summer series don't seem interesting enough...
Jul 2, 2010 5:07 PM

Jul 2009
Ah, it is over. Well, I made myself a Castella today, so I hope I don't end up in my own galaxy of madness anytime soon. Though what I like about this series is I'm about watashi's age and I sometimes feel similarly about life (I suppose).

I almost wanted to give this a 10/10 but I couldn't. Probably going to be the best anime this year, if not the the best anime from the last 2 years.

However, I say this having stopped watching Five Leaves at ep 7 because I want HD video. Five Leaves is really close in quality, imo.