Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Dec 5, 2012 2:10 AM

Feb 2012
READ THIS EXTREMELY FAST:

I will be honest i was planning to give this show a 7 out of 10,but the ending swayed me to give it a 9/10(I give 9's only to those shows i want to rewatch at one time or another and 10's only to those shows I already have rewatched).The whole show seemed like a mindscrew to me in the begining,but the ending put all the pieces back together brilliantly and it had a great final message.
"Efficiency is not king, efficacy is."

Post a comment on my profile. Profile comments are fun.

Dec 18, 2012 11:19 PM
Jul 2008
Huh... 5/10.
Strange I don't get the show. Watching each episode was essentially watching the protagonist fail every time he did something. Frustrating anime.
Dec 27, 2012 8:33 AM

Jul 2011
The plot device of rewinding time was done brilliantly in this show (as opposed to Haruhi's Endless Eight) and definitely kept me wanting to watch the next episode. It did an amazing job of maintaining a balance of highs and lows to get across points, without being too melodramatic. The ending was very unexpected, as I didn't expect things would come to a conclusion so rapidly.

Never the less, the art, music, story and cast were brilliant and only a few, minor personal problems with the show stops it short of a masterpiece. 9/10.
Jan 13, 2013 9:53 AM

Apr 2012
Likely the best groundhog-day plot I've seen done, beating other anime renditions like Endless Eight, Jinrui's episode, Madoka Magica, and even Steins;Gate and Higurashi. While it did almost feel formulaic at times, the originality and overall execution within each episode keeps the series constantly entertaining. Great cast, impressive visuals and suitable soundtrack, and fresh twists into a well-known plot device.

8/10
Jan 16, 2013 12:11 AM
Sep 2011
Mind-blowing even when you are rewatching it. We really have a hidden gem here and users who don't appreciate this anime simply do not have taste. They can all watch SAO together.

9/10.
Jun 2, 2013 11:47 AM

Jan 2013
Linfear said:
Huh... 5/10.
Strange I don't get the show. Watching each episode was essentially watching the protagonist fail every time he did something. Frustrating anime.

You missed the point then
Jun 20, 2013 12:28 AM

May 2008
10/10

Awesome Ride!!

the way I see this anime...its more of a story bout us... (watashi)

Watashi is like the representation of potential..either negative and positive

Ozu is your annoying friend that is wild and do some crazy stuff that will put you in trouble.. but still you can't leave him.. his youkai appearance is just about how you perceive him as annoying/trouble Watashi transforms to this because Ozu perceived him as trouble

the 4.5 tatami room, I think is your safe zone...yeah, you feel safe but it's kinda empty without others... Watashi never took a step...thus trapping him inside his safe zone...

Totally Awesome...

Jun 30, 2013 12:28 AM
Apr 2011
Timofmars said:
I wasn't very impressed. I'm surprised at how small a minority I see to be in because of that. But then again, not too many people have seen this, so it doesn't seem to have very broad appeal to get people who might not like it to watch in the first place.

It's a decent show, imo, but it's got a lot of shortcomings.

First of all, I didn't care for Watashi's grandiose, obsessive, naive ramblings. I certainly can't relate to him. Maybe it made for an interesting setup at the start, but it just got old quickly. The fact that the dialogue comes so fast doesn't help things. It just makes it a bit more unpleasant to watch.

I also never cared for this type of constant wild weirdness that is so prevalent here (the psychological element). It's like the show has ADD, as it tosses weird things at you almost as fast as it tosses dialogue at you. I don't mind it, but much of it really seems pointless to me, as if it exists just to be wild and different. The show relies on it too much.

People here are forced to come up with their own interpretations of the seemingly pointless artistic choices, looking for subtle symbolism and meanings. I never really cared for symbolism even when it's rather obvious, so I certainly don't get anything out of symbolism that is totally dependent on personal interpretations to make any sense. I feel like I'm at an art gallery looking at a multi-million dollar piece of art that looks to me like somebody just splashed a bunch of paint at the canvas. And everyone around me is fawning over it and describing different ways that they see a masterpiece in it. I think even if I agreed with some of these interpretations, it still wouldn't make my viewing experience any more enjoyable.

Some of the first episodes were good just in their own right. I mean, the way Watashi got fed up and publicly humiliated Jougasaki by exposing his embarrassing secrets... That was funny and interesting. But what brought down this show for me was the heavy way in which they purposely made so many things repeat. You get a very wildly different set of events, but the core things holding it together are simply repetitive. How many times do we need to see the fortune teller. Yeah, we know from the start that he just needs to give that white doll to Akashi and he'll end up happy, so stop already. All you gain from episode to episode is a little bit more info on the characters. Really, the episodes aren't even very memorable.

I mean, I did sort of like the idea of seeing how things change with his choices of different paths, but I'd rather that these changes reveal something a bit more subtle about what he was doing wrong each time. Maybe for each episode, they could have given us better detail about how exactly this new attempt at a rose-colored campus life could possibly be superior and lead to happiness, and then develop a revelation throughout each episode about how this was a flawed goal to focus on. Then I'd have my own expectations about how it would work, and I'd be more interested in watching how it succeeded or failed.

But instead, I was left to just observe something wild without any expectations about what crazy stuff was going to happen. I had nothing to look for or to hope for. I just knew Watashi would be naive and obsessive and would gain nothing. There were no revelations. Just wild stories that usually weren't funny, and were too off-the-wall to be really engaging.

And why couldn't there be more Akashi? She was actually interesting and fun to watch. In the end, she didn't even seem like such a wonderful "goal" to catch. She started out very intriguing, but actually became less interesting as the series went on.

I give it a 6.5/10.

you missed the point. he was never really doing much wrong in the first place. he was having fun and living life (albeit imperfectly) with his friends in all but the last universe (the one where he chose to stay in his room and isolate himself). he had happiness all along, just not perfection, because perfection doesn't exist.
Jul 4, 2013 10:12 PM

Jun 2008
Timofmars said:
I mean, I did sort of like the idea of seeing how things change with his choices of different paths, but I'd rather that these changes reveal something a bit more subtle about what he was doing wrong each time. Maybe for each episode, they could have given us better detail about how exactly this new attempt at a rose-colored campus life could possibly be superior and lead to happiness, and then develop a revelation throughout each episode about how this was a flawed goal to focus on. Then I'd have my own expectations about how it would work, and I'd be more interested in watching how it succeeded or failed.

But things went right every time.
There's not a "superior" way to live life that surely leads to happiness.
It's not like life is just about goals and can be evaluated on the basis of succeeding or failing in achieving said goals.

I mean, it was the whole point of the show, and you missed it completely.
Jul 6, 2013 4:38 PM

May 2012
Quite an interesting ending of a rather confusing but still rather good anime! It started quite strange and combined with the strange art it sure was something unique! I wasn't an all to fan of it, but well it wasn't all too bad! I was hoping for a bit more serious love development with that girl and the michiguma but it was just to easy and fast that it made it unsatisfying...

Either way not a bad anime, but I didn't really enjoyed it.
Jul 20, 2013 6:54 PM

Jul 2009
wow what a ending!!!

where to start hm?

i knew it they would reverse the ED and OP just to signify that he will be back from the start of episode 1.

and wow Ozu really did have a girl friend :P

i thought it was Keiko-san, but it was actually Kohinata-san :P

she really looks like Keiko-san tbh!

and wow so Higuchi's classmates were the Neko Ramen Owner,
Hanuki and Jougasaki :P

the various "Watashi" :P

fucking finally he pulled the white Mochiguman!

and wow i didn't notice how they said in the previous episodes on how the moths can actually travel to other tatami(dimension)!

great stuff!!

seeing Old Watashi(well 2 months only) cry after being back to reality never felt so good!

it's time Watashi will save you now Ozu!

this is basically mentioned in the first episode where Ozu said they were tied with a black thread and are bound to die together in that endless river.

and wow the Mochiguman turned into boxers XD

so that's why his boxers in the previous episodes became a Mochiguman.

and wow freaking about time you fulfilled her promise!!! it's been long overdue now!

better late than never :P

so Higuchi and everyone went their separate ways huh?

i really lol when they broke the fourth wall and mentioned they won't be showing any of the progressive relationship between Akashi and Watashi because it was not part of the program XD

and yay Watashi and Akashi toger at last!

and it's really amazing how Watashi is now the "Ozu" is the world and Ozu is the "Watashi" of this world XD

tbh the ending wasn't mind blowing, i knew it the moment they played the ED from the start that he'll revisit the very first episode.

heck this whole episode basically explains what really happen in the first episode.

i think alot of people didn't like this because the change of mood from comedy to depressing parts in the later episodes which is understandable.

for me, one last theory i have is that Ozu and Watashi can have different roles in different dimentions(tatami)

both can be weak minded and pathetic or a prankster who loves to ruin lives.

remember when the first "Ozu" can't enter Watashi's tatami place? it's because he fears that he maybe trapped in the tatami just like the bearded "Watashi"

really enjoyed this series, the symbolism, the music, art and the way they structured the story is pure genius!

at first the reason i watched this was because i heard the ED in one of the trailers of funimation and it was catchy as hell!

didn't expect they would put a lot of minor detail in these series :)

plus Maaya Sakomoto is lovely as hell!!

after finishing Arakawa to this, she's really well versatile voice actor and definitely deserve all the praises she receive :)

and Yoshino, Hiroyuki definitely deserve a praise for being a troll that you are XD

Asanuma, Shintaro, i only know him as Crow in Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's and one of the side characters of Hatsukoi Limited :P

so great job as well!!

and i'll never forget Kaida Yuko's sexy voice!!! love her as Aya in Onechanbara series, Mizuki Mcloud in Ninja Gaiden 3 RE!

Knockout!!!

"Nothing else is as boring to tell as a story of successful love."

such a wonderful quote, if there's something that summarizes the series, it's this right here :P

i give it a 9/10 just for the clever use of symbolism and themes throughout the episodes and the amazing ED :)
Jul 28, 2013 7:10 AM

Mar 2010
if i knew jap i would probably enjoy this anime more
:[
Sep 16, 2013 1:01 PM

Dec 2012
Perfect
Sep 29, 2013 6:46 AM
Aug 2011
Masterpiece.
Sep 29, 2013 2:32 PM

Feb 2010
Definitely a masterpiece.
"...To kiss, that beautiful woman cherry-like lips"
Oct 4, 2013 9:54 PM

Jan 2013
The last dew episodes were, great! The ending couldn't have been much better.

It's a shame that this anime doesn't get much attention; it definitely deserves it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 26, 2013 8:48 AM

Nov 2012
Meh 6/10
Nov 16, 2013 4:47 AM

Oct 2011
Lately I have been picky on what anime I think deserved a 10 (I demoted some 10s to 9s lately). And I have to say this anime deserved a 10 imo.

To those who didn't like it as much as I did, I guess the anime is just not for you and I don't blame you for that. There isn't much noticeable flaws to begin with.
Dec 2, 2013 2:22 AM
Aug 2012
First non airing anime I've completed in almost 3 months.

I'm impressed.
Dec 2, 2013 3:06 AM

Apr 2013
Masterful ending, I think I have to reshuffle around some of my scores in my list.

Because this goddamn anime deserves a 10.

Love the message behind it, "there is no rose colored campus life." You make the most of your life right now.
Powerful eyebrows.
Dec 13, 2013 8:53 AM

Dec 2012
This has got to be the single most life-affirming show in existence. It really makes you cherish every moment you spend in this colorful world. Bravo

edit: I still don't understand the moths thing.
davidfreshDec 13, 2013 9:02 AM
Dec 16, 2013 9:27 AM

Jan 2013
After the first few episodes, I thought it would be us seeing how his life would have turned out each time. This ending however was so brilliant in that Watashi realized there was no "correct way" to lead to his "rose-colored college life". I liked how the choices he made in fact didn't really change much about his situation. Major events always happened and only minor details changed.

Absolutely a masterpiece anime. Watashi's monologues kind of reminded me of Kyon from Haruhi a bit. This might go into my top favorites. Will definitely rewatch at some point.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Jan 5, 2014 4:48 PM

Jul 2012
Masterfully done. A great and unique watch.

I am especially impressed with the way every event is connected so well. Bravo indeed :D
Jan 8, 2014 7:10 PM

May 2012
Masterpiece. Simply masterpiece.
I'll be honest, this is, so far, the only anime that would resonate with me this much. The visuals, the humour, the narration, the message - it's just so 'for me' it screams. It's not only one of the best anime I've ever seen, but this is one of the best works of art in general, that I have had the blessing to encounter.

10/10 and God bless the creators of this gem.
Jan 20, 2014 4:28 AM

Jul 2011
very good series. good thing i decided to look back at the past few years of anime before deciding on choosing what to watch. definitely better than most anime shown this season.

never really understood the connection between each of the different universes that watashi lived in =.=

overall, gonna give it a 9/10.
mrcheezeJan 20, 2014 4:49 AM

hey hey, do you have smoked cheeze?
Nyoro~n
Feb 3, 2014 3:54 PM

Nov 2012
The message behind it was really Strong...

Got me to think "maybe I should stop watching so much anime and actually venture out into the world"

xD
Feb 7, 2014 8:11 PM

Sep 2013
I smiled at the end. That was great. I would love to give this a 10/10 but i still feel like some of the beginning episodes could have been handled better, so 9/10.

Either way, I'm changing my standards now.
Feb 9, 2014 10:52 AM

Mar 2013
A large majority of anime tend to leave a bad taste in the mouth for their ending. Either they end in an overly open manner or jump drastically from the show's formula for success at the end and alienate the viewership.

I can wholeheartedly say that is the exact opposite of this finale. This might be one of the best final episodes I have ever watched.
Feb 12, 2014 6:07 PM

Apr 2013
Wow what a way to the end it. A great anime all around. Loved it.
Mar 11, 2014 12:07 AM

Oct 2013
This was an amazing ride, one of the most interesting series I've ever seen.
Mar 19, 2014 5:28 AM

Jan 2013
A brilliant ending.
Watashi's development has been nothing short of astounding. Good to see all the other characters getting their happy ending as well.
One of the best anime I've seen for a long while.
9.5/10
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Mar 20, 2014 3:00 PM

Jul 2009
go figure the fortune lady was at the book shop years back xD

http://i.imgur.com/ARJJQcP.jpg
Mar 24, 2014 4:03 AM

Sep 2013
Excellent, unique and intelligent story about choices.

Brilliant anime all in all, I laughed and was entertained thoroughly.

I think the most ingenious part of it was how easy it is to relate. I could see myself being in every choice Watashi made, and I think I partially have been.

9.5/10, a comedy/psychological masterpiece
cupcMar 31, 2014 12:44 PM
May 13, 2014 9:46 PM
Feb 2011
I guess I'm the only one who found this anime annoying? I had to push myself to finish it. Meh, to each there own.
Jul 4, 2014 9:41 PM
Oct 2013
Excellent end. Meaningful lecture of life. 10/10 without a doubt.
Jul 10, 2014 12:57 AM

Sep 2013
Wow a really great way to end this series. So all the episodes were connected after all.

I actually didnt get it the first time so I re-watched episode 10 and 11. That's when I got the light bulb moment and finally understood what the heck I was watching.

Really great symbolism 9/10.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jul 20, 2014 2:13 PM

Apr 2014
Congratulations on making such a thought-provoking, different, awesomely-handled masterpiece. The ending actually is the best ending I have ever watched in anime. I loved it, I enjoyed, at first I had really high expectiations about it, and those high expectation paid off. Nothing else to add, 100/10.
Aug 6, 2014 4:39 PM

Apr 2014
I was surprised how well the show handled the romance part considering the extremely limited screen time it got. 5/5
your waifu is shit
Aug 22, 2014 3:26 PM

Jul 2013
This was an amazing finale, this show was quite the experience for me, I have to thank the person who recommended this show to me, it looks like I have found a new 10/10 anime :D
Aug 27, 2014 8:00 AM
Jun 2014
Brilliant. Just brilliant. Words cannot describe how great this show is. The art style, the story, the music, it's amazing. At first I was going to give it a 9/10, but the last 3 episodes have been so great I decided to give this show my very first 10/10. I also liked the subtle touches, like how Ozu after his having a girlfriend and motives were revealed no longer looks as evil, and Watashi and Ozu's relationship as friends is expanded upon. I also liked the resolution with Akashi and Watashi (Akashi ftw!)
Nov 1, 2014 9:52 PM

Sep 2014
So was he really the god of matrimony? Is that why Ozu know to put the cakes in his room? So why is present day Ozu oblivious to all this
Nov 11, 2014 12:12 AM

Jul 2011
10/10...wow a true masterpiece...I can't even explain it in words.

That was just.

I don't know.

The sad part or I guess good part? Is that this show actually fits my life perfectly right now, and I was really struggling, and I don't know but maybe this gives me a little hope, like welcome to the nhk did.

Anyways, awesome.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 19, 2014 2:31 PM

Oct 2013
"showing the development of a perfect relationship is boring"

hah

This was AWESOME
Dec 4, 2014 5:48 AM

Mar 2012
This is like the Well-written version of Endless 8 featuring Zetsubou Sensei.

That was one WTF mindblowing ending.

10/10
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Dec 19, 2014 9:18 AM

Dec 2011
VanishingKira said:
This was unique,and like what they were trying to do with the crossing over universes but man was this repetitive 7/10 (slightly overrating,might lower to 6/10 eventually).
Didn't keep my interest like I hoped,but this last episode was great.

Agreed. For me, the series was a lot repetitive (I know it was proposital) and wasn't very joyful to watch. Nevertheless, I liked how all the episodes were connected in this "Tatami Galaxy", it was like a web of interlaced events. 8/10.
Dec 20, 2014 5:27 PM

Nov 2012
I have never before enjoyed an anime so much despite really hating the main character, I just couldn't take his mindset where he'd be okay with ruining multiple peoples' times but felt this blow up doll relationship was this sacred thing and just his overall character was unlikeable to me, yet the story was compelling, beautiful and amusing, 9/10.
Jaywalker.
Jan 3, 2015 1:29 PM

Nov 2012
HE GOT THE GIRL! YAY!

Amazing anime. 9.5/10
Jan 6, 2015 3:02 AM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
One of the more beautiful finales in anime I've had the pleasure of watching.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

Jan 11, 2015 3:21 AM

Dec 2012
And so the tables have turned! Ozu's humanity is finally fully brought to light this episode and it looks like my guess was right. That the devilish, Grinch appearance is a result of Ozu/Watashi's perception of the other being evil. This episode did a splendid job at tying up the remaining pieces of the puzzle as well as helping to completely establish the relationships and social structure between the characters in this series. Even the ones that weren't human such as Johnny and Kaori!

If I had to sum up Tatami Galaxy into one word, I'd say that it is best described as "possibilities." It does an excellent job at using episodes 1-9 to weave a tapestry of possibilities and choices that make room for the bigger picture. How, despite each scenario seeming to be a wasted effort on its own, helps to accumulate a wide variety of experiences that makes Watashi appreciate both his antics that stray from the rose colored life as well as Ozu as a friend, tied to him by the black thread of fate.

There were certainly a handful of relevant themes to be had in Tatami Galaxy as well. Watashi's constant endeavor to redo his college debut until he got it right demonstrates how there really is no ideal, rose colored way of life. Happiness comes from an acceptance of the reality we have and making the best of it despite the past. Another noteworthy idea that I took away from this is how time is only wasted when we can't find meaning to be had from that time spent. Just like the constant paths Watashi took in his various repetitions of his first 2 years of college, which he initially considered wastes of time. But once he understood what they meant to him, he cherished them. That really clicked with me considering I've often looked back and thought about all of the time I feel that I've wasted since I started college. But by looking at it from a new angle, through a different color, maybe it wasn't that bad after all.

This series was recommended to death to me once I finished Ping Pong and I'm certainly glad that I finally took heed. Similarly to Ping Pong, this manages to use a bizarre art style that demonstrates how enriching creativity and diversity within the anime medium is. This puts me at 2 for 2 in regards to Yuasa Masaaki and I'll certainly be watching out for other works he has been a part of. 9 Tatami Mats out of 10.
Jan 14, 2015 4:39 AM

Oct 2013
4.5 out of 5.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

garfield15 - Jun 10, 2010

92 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Apr 12, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

controlmajortom - May 6, 2010

127 by blinddig »»
Apr 10, 2:32 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - May 27, 2010

151 by MalcomHater »»
Mar 23, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

born2badored - May 13, 2010

91 by haydnwright »»
Feb 1, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

dbaranyi - Jun 24, 2010

133 by DgenxZ »»
Oct 21, 2023 5:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.