Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 11, 2008 9:38 PM

Sep 2007
I think it falls into the competition/games category easy enough. And it is not like Pokemon or Yugioh so the slippery slope thing is easily avoidable.

In Pokemon, the trainer is more like a coach giving the player basic orders, but the pokemon has a mind of its own. It's like a basketball coach telling a player to draw a foul. The player will do it, but how he does it is up to him.

In Angelic Layer, the doll had no mind of its own whatsoever and every single movement was controlled by the player. This is why I would compare AL to a game like Chess or Go since the pieces being moved have no mind of their own.
May 11, 2008 10:06 PM

Jun 2007
common logic dictates no
May 12, 2008 9:45 AM
Jun 2007
Hm.. it seems by some people's logic, the following is true:
driving around very fast in a car = sport
driving said car by remote control = not a sport

I can understand the reluctance to classify AL as a sports anime. I didn't at first either, because before AL, I'd never watched any. Through AL I found out I really like realistic stories about a person working to achieve excellence in some field. Since this club seems to include games/competitions, I don't see how AL can be left out.
May 12, 2008 6:12 PM

May 2007
BlackMagic said:
I think it falls into the competition/games category easy enough. And it is not like Pokemon or Yugioh so the slippery slope thing is easily avoidable.

In Pokemon, the trainer is more like a coach giving the player basic orders, but the pokemon has a mind of its own. It's like a basketball coach telling a player to draw a foul. The player will do it, but how he does it is up to him.

In Angelic Layer, the doll had no mind of its own whatsoever and every single movement was controlled by the player. This is why I would compare AL to a game like Chess or Go since the pieces being moved have no mind of their own.

But what about Yugioh? Those stupid card things don't have any mind/control of their own -- they're just pieces that act out various actions on a gigantic holographic board or something, right? (I never really followed Yugioh, I've just caught a few episodes on Saturday mornings way back in the day.)

And as far the Pokemon argument goes... if the main character of a baseball anime was the coach instead of one of the players, we wouldn't consider it a sports anime even if the point of the show was training and practicing and competing? Aren't that kid and his animals just like a team? ...I don't know. I really don't see how you could draw a line between the two.

After thinking about it some more, I would really definitely not consider AL a sports anime. (I would consider it to be a game anime however -- but that's probably not a recognized category.) And for the sake of consistency, I'd say that Hikaru no Go and Akagi aren't sports animes either. =/
May 12, 2008 6:23 PM

Jul 2006
i havent come to a decision on angelic layer yet, and im in no hurry (i like the talks about it), but i will say here and now that pokemon and yugioh and the like will not be added to the club regardless of the angelic decision.

(note: not to say that pokemon and yugioh arent great in their own right.)

actually, for now im not adding angelic layer, nor am i taking off any animes from the relations. this is subject to change with further discussion and bribes.

=)
May 12, 2008 9:06 PM

Sep 2007
I wouldn't consider Angelic Layer a sports anime, nor would I consider Akagi, Kaiji, or Hikaru no Go to be one.

The pokemon reference was only meant to stand within the category of "games and competition anime" since I think it loses its meaning when taken out of that context. I only used a sport analogy since it seemed fitting lol.

I don't know that much about Yugioh since I never watched it, but I've seen a great deal of Pokemon. Speaking only from the standpoint of "games" anime, in addition to the "mindless pieces" criteria, I would also add another one from the top of my head:

The protagonist isn't responsible for saving any villages/cities/the world/etc.

I was about to say that a person's skill is only used in pursuit on the game and not in outside endeavors, but gambling animes like Akagi, Kaiji, and Legendary Gambler Tetsuya make it a bit more difficult to determine where the game ends and reality begins. Though that seems to be something many real life gamblers have issues with as well ^_^
May 13, 2008 9:19 AM
Jun 2007
Hm.. I haven't nearly seen enough anime to come to a truely informet opinion, but would it be fair to say that:

In a sports/game anime, changing the game or sport can be done without changes to the general plot. ?

That certainly can't be done for Pokemon or stuff like Yuu Yuu Hakusho.

And to up the ante, how about La Corda D'Oro? It's about playing a violin, but otherwise, the competition/game elements are there.
May 13, 2008 6:23 PM

Sep 2007
I'm not sure what you mean about changing the game vs changing the plot. A show that comes to mind would be Kaiji; there were multiple gambling competitions such as restricted rock/paper/scissors, E-card, and drawing lots, but the overall plot remained constant.

If that's the kind of game changing within a consistent plot you are thinking of, then unfortunately Pokemon can do it too. While the Kanto League battling system is more like a real battle, the Orange League (or Johto League..I forget) changed the competition from a battle to a skills competition with a variety of events. There is also a focus during the Frontier saga on the Coordinator competitions which change up the style yet again.

All the ambiguity that comes up when trying to classify all this makes me agree with lowell. If the club is going to change its parameters, I would be inclined to narrow the focus more toward sports animes and away from games/competition.

If you really wanted to, even if you go Physical Sports Only with the relations, you can always add a spoiler in the club description of "Honorable Mention" shows such as Hikaru no Go. While not being sports per se, most sports anime fans would likely enjoy them.

This would clean up the relations lists in short order and probably diffuse a lot of the confusion. You could always hold votes to see if shows are worth "Honorable Mention" as well.

May 14, 2008 11:02 AM
Nov 2007
In my opinion, Angelic Layer isn't athletic, and doesn't really require physical/strength training. So, it shouldn't be included as a sports anime.

However, for the second question, it is clearly a competition, just like chess, etc.

Therefore I think it should remain in the club, under that category of competitive games, but not sports. Since this group was created for both, this seems fair.
May 14, 2008 12:25 PM
Jun 2007
BlackMagic said:
I'm not sure what you mean about changing the game vs changing the plot.

I meant that Soccer can be exchanged for Baseball, Basketball or pherhaps even Go and it wouldn't matter all that much to the overall plot.

In e.g. Pokemon that doesn't work. The entire world is some sort of fairyland full of critters with rediculous powers. Change pokemonbattles to tennis matches and that part of the backstory doesn't work any more.

BlackMagic said:
If you really wanted to, even if you go Physical Sports Only with the relations, you can always add a spoiler in the club description of "Honorable Mention" shows such as Hikaru no Go. While not being sports per se, most sports anime fans would likely enjoy them.

Works for me. But then please take out everything not involving actual physical activity, like racing and the semi-realistic nonsense such as Grappler Baki.
May 14, 2008 12:33 PM
Jun 2007
rareitemhunter1 said:
In my opinion, Angelic Layer isn't athletic, and doesn't really require physical/strength training. So, it shouldn't be included as a sports anime.

To be fair, I think the "sport" in AL wasn't meant to be taken too seriously. I thought it was a parody on popular fighting games myself. However, in AL, controling those dolls was at times very demanding on the controllers. Mental and physical exhaustion was an issue, even if it wasn't a major part of the story. Extensivee training was a big part of the story, though.

But indeed, no athletics (by humans ;-). That argument goes againts a lot of anime on the group list, though, it's not specific to AL.
May 14, 2008 4:37 PM
Dec 2007
The main argument is that Angelic Layer is a competition but if the Club is called Sports Fans then shouldn't the animes match the club's title? It all ultimately comes down to; is the club going to be competitive sport games or just sports. If the first is to be done the the title will have to be changed and animes added...

I say Angelic Layer is more competition centered and less sport centered plotwise...
May 20, 2008 3:16 AM
Jul 2007
First, I would ask whether it really matters, but since there has been such a big fuss obviously it does to some people.

Second, I would like to point out that there is no Point to excluding it, the anime will simply be talked about elsewhere and the fans of it would simply chat in that elsewhere.

Third, this will only ever become an issue If the forum has too much churn or is being swamped by threads that most consider to not be sports related. If something like that were to happen Then this would need to be considered in a serious manner. However as it isn't then what's the problem? Including it in the list simply broadens the availability of interest and possible members. Just because you thought it sucked doesn't mean that it can't be discussed on the board or not considered a sport anime.

The word sport is a symbol, it all comes down to an individuals interpretation of the word and it's meanings to them.

Which means there is as many answers to this question as there are individuals and likely just as many who don't care one way or another.

Deciding whether clamp meant for it to be a sports anime is like trying to decipher all the true meanings behind a poem after it's author is long dead and unavailable to ask. Both futile and pointless at the same time, not to mention frustrating.

Anyway, it's 4 a.m. and I can barely read what I'm typing. If there are spelling errors my apologies and good night.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Apply for Staff

Mayuka - Nov 25, 2015

12 by Mayuka »»
May 14, 2018 10:41 AM

» Running/Track & Field

Dodecahedron-O24 - Apr 17, 2014

8 by RunningShirtGuy »»
May 9, 2018 12:38 PM

Sticky: » Introduce Yourself ( 1 2 3 )

June - Dec 5, 2007

139 by RunningShirtGuy »»
May 9, 2018 12:36 PM

» First Anime? ( 1 2 )

June - Jul 29, 2007

73 by Noene »»
Nov 19, 2017 7:29 PM

» Sports anime/manga that inspired you to play the game?

Vivie - Nov 25, 2015

40 by Mishina »»
Jun 29, 2017 4:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.