Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 28, 2010 7:06 PM

Dec 2009
Everyone is having complaints about the theory of how Kanade and Otonoshi appeared at different times, my theory is that since Otonoshi gave away his organs when he died he had to have the people who accepted his organs (such as Kanade and a few others he probably donated to) to be in the "After Life" first. That way when all the people (along w/ his organs) die, then he can start forming the body in the "After Life" therefore Kanade was there before Otonoshi PHYSICALLY ^.^ thats my theory!
Jun 28, 2010 8:21 PM

Dec 2007
A quick statement to debunk that theory.

Otonashi's heart never returned to him.

Why do you think his other organs did?
Jun 28, 2010 9:54 PM

Dec 2009
Meddigo said:
A quick statement to debunk that theory.

Otonashi's heart never returned to him.

Why do you think his other organs did?

While I have put absolute zero thought into the matter. If Kanade was the only one to not pass on that would make sense, also maybe only his heart was donated?

More imporatantly, the world might not have any linear time difference, Ontanishi said he "wandered into this world". Who is to say how long he wandered in a purgatory without memories before landing in this new world.
Jun 28, 2010 10:03 PM

Dec 2007
That is the correct answer, he was simply a wandering soul. It was by mere chance (or perhaps destiny?) that he wound up in that world meant for juvenile reconciliation.

Too many people I have talked to (who immediately hated the ending because of the time anomaly in question) have assumed that once some angsty teenager dies on Earth they go to that world immediately. And in all honesty, it may very well work that way for kids who have concrete regrets and don't wish to return to Earth via reincarnation. But Otonashi was different. He had no regrets. So I don't even know how people who do make that assumption still get angry about the time anomaly.
Jun 29, 2010 6:24 AM

Dec 2009
I agree. I mean I literally finished watching the anime minutes before I wrote that post. Otonashi specifically states he "wandered", which would imply that he did not simply die -> instantly pop into the new world.
Jul 2, 2010 11:18 PM

Dec 2008
But, if that theory was true, then wouldn't he have dissappeared/went on/died or w/e, the moment Kanade dissappeared near the end? Instead, he sat there crying for -insert amount of time here-.
Jul 3, 2010 4:43 PM

Nov 2009
Even though he said he had no regrets, it seems like Kanade still fulfilled all his wishes in his life by being there... Like, for example, how he just wanted his sister to tell him "thank you" (Kanade did this at the last episode, a lot) and of course his more recent wish to save someone.

Maybe he just wandered into the world because meeting Kanade would truly fulfill him?
Jul 3, 2010 6:27 PM

Dec 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't his sister thank him after he took her out of her hospital room and walked around town?
Jul 3, 2010 7:17 PM

Oct 2009
I cant believe everyone still doesnt get it when it is really so simple.

First of all this 'afterlife' is another dimension or world if you will. So the variable of time from the preceding world wouldn't apply here, so individuals from various points in the timeline would appear; some that are further in the timeline of earth may appear earlier in the afterlife. With this theory i also believe kanade didnt die as a teenager, but lived a happy long life.

Before someone asks "then why didnt people from the medieval times appear in this world", i would like to precounter the statement by stating that this world was made to rehabilitate the souls of tragic youths and let them feel an ordinary life. Of course for it to be 'ordinary' youths would have to be taken from the context of earth that resembles the setting of this afterlife - thus the souls takes would only be limited to about 50-100 years of earths timeline.

And last of all the reason qhy otanashi had no heart. It is simple. Because his heart had already existed in this plane when he arrived it was impossible for it to appear with him, because you cannot have duplicate entities in the same world as only one exists. In simple terms it is impossible to have two otanashi hearts at one time.

Lastly, as i said from the start i believe that kanade had a long life and had wandered into that afterlife after she had died ( like she said, as she reggretted not thanking otonashi). Thus her appearance had to follow the rules of that world and appear as a teenager.

either that or she recieved otonashi's heart when she was very young.

To conclude i must again state that the time of one dimension doesnt apply to the other, that is why kanade was there before otonashi. ( sorry for bad typing, im on ipod touch)

Edit: i would like to point out just in case someone may ask, how could otanashi be 'alive' without a heart? Simply the physical rules of earth do not apply in this dimension, as it is easily possible that other dimensions posses different sets of physical constants ( just like how they could alter the world with computers.) In essence it is simple multidimensional physics.
-Clandestine-Jul 3, 2010 7:22 PM
Jul 4, 2010 4:24 AM

May 2009
I'll just quote myself

Repating myself thrice is not healthy.

reb3llist said:
I haven’t read about souls since like 2 – 4 years ago so I don’t remember clearly but if I remember correctly some religions or beliefs (i.e Buddhists’ [I think it was Buddhists] concept of 28 levels of hell) don’t indicate a specific timeline for souls at all. At one point souls can come and go with a lot of delay, i.e some souls stay in hell and are not reincarnated yet compared to some that are reincarnated faster due to lack of sins or some sort (I can’t remember things I haven’t reread for a couple of years).

Besides, the clear system by which this universe works is too ambiguous to dissect. We have no clear references aside from the hypothetically-made from the characters themselves and no ‘God’ was present in the whole story (on-screen-wise, at least)

Thus I think it was Kanade or was it Otonashi who theorized that his soul just “stumbled” upon that place because he had amnesia. Before stumbling you have to wonder what his soul was doing, in that respect it could have been that he was long dead already but his soul was still lost. In comparison no one came with such heavy amnesia that they had to resort to HYPNOTISM. Before the hypnotism and the sleep-on-Kanade-ultimately-sleeping-on-my-heart scene, he really could not remember ANYTHING and thus the theory is not far-fetched at all.

The BIGGER question to ask is THE ANGEL PLAYER, which has absolutely ZERO details or explanations, a lack of detail which I lament due to lack of episodes. A VN with no word limit would be much MUCH more welcome.
reb3llistJul 4, 2010 4:53 AM
Aug 26, 2010 1:56 AM

Jul 2010
-Clandestine- said:
I cant believe everyone still doesnt get it when it is really so simple.

First of all this 'afterlife' is another dimension or world if you will. So the variable of time from the preceding world wouldn't apply here, so individuals from various points in the timeline would appear; some that are further in the timeline of earth may appear earlier in the afterlife. With this theory i also believe kanade didnt die as a teenager, but lived a happy long life.

Before someone asks "then why didnt people from the medieval times appear in this world", i would like to precounter the statement by stating that this world was made to rehabilitate the souls of tragic youths and let them feel an ordinary life. Of course for it to be 'ordinary' youths would have to be taken from the context of earth that resembles the setting of this afterlife - thus the souls takes would only be limited to about 50-100 years of earths timeline.

And last of all the reason qhy otanashi had no heart. It is simple. Because his heart had already existed in this plane when he arrived it was impossible for it to appear with him, because you cannot have duplicate entities in the same world as only one exists. In simple terms it is impossible to have two otanashi hearts at one time.

Lastly, as i said from the start i believe that kanade had a long life and had wandered into that afterlife after she had died ( like she said, as she reggretted not thanking otonashi). Thus her appearance had to follow the rules of that world and appear as a teenager.

To conclude i must again state that the time of one dimension doesnt apply to the other, that is why kanade was there before otonashi. ( sorry for bad typing, im on ipod touch)

Edit: i would like to point out just in case someone may ask, how could otanashi be 'alive' without a heart? Simply the physical rules of earth do not apply in this dimension, as it is easily possible that other dimensions posses different sets of physical constants ( just like how they could alter the world with computers.) In essence it is simple multidimensional physics.

If anyone questions 'how' Otonashi could have been alive, they need to re-watch episode 1, you know the whole thing about "being unable to die" in a sick sense he could have popped into the world with a severed head and lived on normally...humorously having to pick his head back up every so often...

The "why was Kanade young despite getting Otonashi's heart" question is also easily answered if you understand medicine, see there are two factors that could have caused her to be there:

1. Heart transplant patients get an average of TEN to FIFTEEN years out of a transplanted heart, it's not a golden ticket to living a long normal life, it only lasts about a decade.

2. She got the heart and did live a little longer, but eventually rejected the heart and died afterward.

Both of these things could have easily happened to Kanade in her real life, as she was only 16 when she died.

Sep 5, 2010 12:34 PM

Sep 2010
-Clandestine- said:

this 'afterlife' is another dimension or world if you will. So the variable of time from the preceding world wouldn't apply here, so individuals from various points in the timeline would appear; some that are further in the timeline of earth may appear earlier in the afterlife. With this theory i also believe kanade didnt die as a teenager, but lived a happy long life and had wandered into that afterlife after she had died ( like she said, as she reggretted not thanking otonashi). Thus her appearance had to follow the rules of that world and appear as a teenager.

Rabbidfangirl said:

The "why was Kanade young despite getting Otonashi's heart" question is also easily answered if you understand medicine, see there are two factors that could have caused her to be there:

1. Heart transplant patients get an average of TEN to FIFTEEN years out of a transplanted heart, it's not a golden ticket to living a long normal life, it only lasts about a decade.

2. She got the heart and did live a little longer, but eventually rejected the heart and died afterward.

Both of these things could have easily happened to Kanade in her real life, as she was only 16 when she died.

It's absolutely true that an other dimension doesn't have to have the same set of rules about physics. So what you say about time could be possible.
But I kinda have the feeling Otonashi just wandered (as he said himself) a long time before ending up in this world.
It could also be that a higher force (a god if you will) placed him in this afterlife to solve the problem people had created there. Kanade couldn't pass on since she couldn't say thank you to Otonashi, and the other ones failing to understand the meaning of this afterlife.
So he could have lost his memories (not due to the crash because he didn't die that way) because he lost his heart or some higher force put him there.

Which brings me to Kanade.
It would be the most obvious solution to say she died because she rejected the heart, or they couldn't find her a new heart after 10-15 years, since she's still that young in the afterlife, and thus didn't die of old age and got her young-self back to enter this afterlife.
But it's also true she said: (I'm not quoting the exact words but it sounded something like this) "This gift of life you gave me... Thank you".
That being said, she must've had a life, so she probably didn't reject his heart.
She could also have gotten his heart at the age of 14, than had a happy (normal) time, and two years later die in a carcrash or something.

Finally I would like to ask a question. What do you guys think of those last 25 seconds. The scene in which they 'meet again'.
You would think they meet again in the next life. But wouldn't it be strange they look exactly the same as in their previous lives. Of course it could also be a way of the makers to tell their viewers it's Otonashi and Kanade, and not two other people. (not everyone is that clever)
But I personally think it's Otonashi's thoughts. As with Yui. Before she vanished we saw images of how her life would have been if she had met Hinata. Those things didn't happen, she only 'fantasized' it and thus triggering her disappearance.
These last seconds of episode 13 could be Otonashi's thoughs when he accepts Kanade's disappearence. He could than think "If we can't be together here, we'll just meet in the next life". These thoughts could comfort him and make him happy, eventually triggering his own disappearence.

We can't change the world with Anime...

…but we'll try

Vote for your favorite K-ON songs here
Sep 6, 2010 1:55 AM

Jan 2010
you mean like you dont go to after life unless one of your origins still Alive ? xD
Sep 26, 2010 8:47 PM

Dec 2008
I was about to propose that Otonashi only appeared because Kanade (finally) appeared in that "Afterlife". Then Track Zero showed up.

Otonashi's existence in that world is an inexplicable anomaly. They must have a good rational explanation for this, or they all made one huge blunder and overlooked this simple aspect completely.

There are too many holes in the setting for Angel Beats!.
Will I fall in love someday? I wonder?

Nov 3, 2010 8:53 PM

May 2007
I just finished speed watching the series and I came up with a theory that could be posible. In episode 12 when Yuripe is talking with Takamatsu he mentioned that the guy who made Angel Player was waiting for the girl he loved who left the world without him. Well why would the creater make the name to the software Angel Player? What if the world was on a loop of sorts and it was Otanashi who created the software. That would explain the name of the software, and the fact that he showed up after Kanade shows that the time of arrival does not really matter in that world. I know that this theory has a lot of holes in the details but the story that Takematsu told would in my opinion fit with that endding. Please respond to this and tell me your thoughts on this theory.
Nov 3, 2010 8:59 PM

May 2007
Merushi said:
Finally I would like to ask a question. What do you guys think of those last 25 seconds. The scene in which they 'meet again'.
You would think they meet again in the next life. But wouldn't it be strange they look exactly the same as in their previous lives. Of course it could also be a way of the makers to tell their viewers it's Otonashi and Kanade, and not two other people. (not everyone is that clever)
But I personally think it's Otonashi's thoughts. As with Yui. Before she vanished we saw images of how her life would have been if she had met Hinata. Those things didn't happen, she only 'fantasized' it and thus triggering her disappearance.
These last seconds of episode 13 could be Otonashi's thoughs when he accepts Kanade's disappearence. He could than think "If we can't be together here, we'll just meet in the next life". These thoughts could comfort him and make him happy, eventually triggering his own disappearence.

I Just rewatched those last 25 seconds and I turned the volume up really loud and Kanade was humming the tune on My Song so I do not think those were his thoughts right before he dissapeared but him meeting kanade in the next life.
Nov 18, 2010 11:27 PM
Jun 2010
ForsakenMantra said:
More imporatantly, the world might not have any linear time difference
Walk with the Prophets, Brother Benny!

But I prefer the theory that Otonashi was "sent" to that particular purgatory because he could solve a lot of the problems that had built up there - in particular, that Kanade specifically wanted to thank him. It could have gotten to a point where God was like, "This girl is holding everything up and even started a war in one of my afterlifes! Time to fix this..."

Also, despite not regretting his life, he was so focused on visiting his sister and then getting into med school that he didn't really have a normal youth. Being able to fall in love (and also finding out that his heart saved a young girl) could have been a reward (better to have loved and lost!) Who said that the world they were in could only ever be used for one purpose?
May 10, 2012 3:56 PM
May 2012
The easiest answer is that it wasn't really his.

She claimed it was his because
a) He was missing it.
b) He remembered how he died when he was next to her (i.e. heard the beating of her heart).

She might have believed that it was his or she just wanted to thank a person that was willing to give one up. In any case, nothing happened after she thanked him until he told her that he loved her.
Jul 9, 2015 6:23 PM
Jul 2015
this is from an intervew with maeda jun (https://worldomonation.wordpress.com/2010/06/30/angel-beats-interview-with-maeda-jun-second-season/)

he clearly says, that utonashi left the afterlife about 3 days after kanade, in which he was rewarded with seeing kanade again, and that ANGEL PLAYER was created in the ancient past, that there where people fighting god before yuri's arrival, and that there might be a second season, since in one of their books there is a conversation that says "Look out for the Angel Beats! Second Season where I’ll return as the heroine!"

More topics from this board

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 7, 2010

513 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 7:08 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Apr 30, 2010

607 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 4:35 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Apr 23, 2010

447 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 12:42 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Apr 16, 2010

478 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 9, 6:00 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Apr 9, 2010

484 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 9, 3:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.