Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 30, 2008 5:11 AM

Feb 2007
Another fantastic episode. It's amazing how much these characters that only appear in one episode develop in 20 minutes. They don't feel like one-demensional characters, which is what makes these last 3 episodes so great. That's including the themes, metaphors and clever but sparse use of dialouge...I could go on for a while could I?

Chase scene at the beginning was hilarious. A quote from the Ep 3 thread...

AnimusNathan said:
That big forehead guy is a great character. Sure on the surface it seems like he's superficial and is only helping Kaiba(who he thinks is Chroniko) because he's sexually attracted, but he hasn't raped her or anything that we know of, which makes me think he's actually a good guy on the inside.

After this episode I'd have to agree. Vanilla really is only helping Kaiba because of his current body, but it looks like he isn't doing anything horrible to 'her', like rape. Looks more like giving her food and attention to me. xD
Jul 29, 2008 5:38 AM

Jan 2008
BlueYoshi said:
Another fantastic episode. It's amazing how much these characters that only appear in one episode develop in 20 minutes. They don't feel like one-demensional characters, which is what makes these last 3 episodes so great. That's including the themes, metaphors and clever but sparse use of dialouge...I could go on for a while could I?

And its why Kaiba shouldnt be some plot-driven show like some people want. The reason why we love it is because of these 'episodic' tales. You're right BlueYoshi, in 20 minutes we get really compelling characters, relationships and glimpses into this future world, with no crappy exposition, or generic man-on-a-mission type hijinks.

The main character's predicament isnt the point of the show, its merely a trigger to send him across the galaxy so we can see all different manners of living in this anime's universe.

I'm reminded of this thread I made about episodic anime. Post in it if anyone has more thoughts!
BeatnikJul 30, 2008 12:58 PM
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Oct 22, 2008 8:49 AM

Nov 2007
it took me some time to recover from the story of the grandmother. it melted my heart.

I'm starting to like this anime XD
Jan 18, 2010 7:01 AM

Sep 2008
"The important part is to have a big heart"
wow..this ep really moved me. So deep and somewhat philosophical. The last one was more moving because it was a bit tragic, but this one had a different sort of an impact...

Kayro said:
cyruz said:
Very nice episode, I enjoyed it from the beginning to the end.

Same here.

Man, why does Kaiba has to always have such depressing endings (I'm talking about the grandsons death) =(

They didnt show them die. I thought they were being thrown back to the lighthouse planet :S
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jan 23, 2010 5:37 PM

Feb 2008
Beautiful episode. The atmosphere of the anime is amazing, and becomes more and more fascinating with each episode.
Aug 10, 2010 8:21 PM

May 2010
I must agree that episode 3 was better. This episode was sort of aiming for the same emotional strings, and no way you're going to top episode 3 in that department. As to what Beatnik said above me, I think there is a distinction to be made between shows that are episodic and shows with an underlying plot but 1-episode story arks. This show is clearly going somewhere, Mushishi or Aria would be more of an episodic show. I think a truly episodic show is limited in depth. Even the best ones like mushishi can only go as deep as you can take 1 episode (which is deeper than a lot of plot-focused shows, amazingly enough). But I digress, I loved this episode even if the last one was better. This series is still ace.
“Money can't buy dere”
Aug 27, 2010 3:26 PM

Jan 2010
such a sad ending :-(...this is on the verge of becoming a masterpiece

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Sep 17, 2010 9:55 PM

Feb 2010
This series is really interesting... pretty sad, too. At first it came off as trippy and strange, but I'm starting to see it's serious side.

I love the way memories are conveyed as a library. I like how the grandma's repressed memories about grandpa dying were clamped shut. Cool metaphor. The moment the clamp broke and the book flew open was pretty powerful.
Nov 7, 2011 8:52 AM

May 2010
Another beautiful episode. The storytelling about the old couple is simply amazing and heart-moving.

Didn't cry but it made me smile esp. the scene where they showed the flowers growing under their grave.

The ending with the grandchildren was kinda sad indeed.

And I like the way this series takes an episodic approach while undergo plot developments.
Feb 7, 2012 1:01 PM

May 2009
That girly run of Kaiba gets me every time :p
Jul 20, 2012 1:33 AM

Feb 2009
Such a sad episode. I love Kaiba's melancholic atmosphere...
Aug 1, 2012 2:33 PM

Sep 2008
This episode was good, especially the story of Grandma and Grandpa. But more importantly, the short flashback at the end of the episode seemed to show more of Kaiba's past. I'm curious what happens next.
Jan 21, 2013 7:46 PM

Aug 2011
Wanted to cry when we were going through the grandmother's memories. TT____TT
Apr 19, 2013 9:34 PM

Jan 2013
Another good episode.
Apr 26, 2013 2:25 PM

Nov 2011
Shit. The way the show symbolises death and loneliness is extremely effective.

That conversation between the two grand parents hit home.

First 2 episodes = pretty good. 3 & 4 = FUCK. FEELS. Hooked.
May 31, 2013 9:39 AM

May 2012
Not as good as the last episode but still quite interesting, especially that ending with the flashback.
Jul 2, 2013 9:50 PM
Aug 2011
I like the details such as the clamped up book and what her treasure was, things like that.
Aug 2, 2013 2:41 PM

Dec 2012
Why didn't the sheriff remember the hippo even after seeing him and talking to him? That's not a face you forget. Especially considering how much he was chasing him.
PolyphemusAug 2, 2013 2:48 PM
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Sep 21, 2013 7:42 AM
Aug 2011
Yakub said:
Why didn't the sheriff remember the hippo even after seeing him and talking to him? That's not a face you forget. Especially considering how much he was chasing him.

Yeah I didn't understand that, too.
Apr 8, 2014 10:53 AM
Sep 2013
^ Yeah, I don't know how the guy didn't remember the hippo's face. WTF

Aside that, this episode was a bit confusing. Very hard to follow for me.
May 21, 2014 12:00 PM

Mar 2013
The art direction took a small hit in this episode. The narrative still seems pretty weak..

The world is the most interesting part for me
[25/04/14 4:04:39 PM] Skitzo: doujins have deep psychological undertones about the sexual intrigue of human behavior
Sep 8, 2014 7:55 PM

Jan 2013
That was so sad :( People keep dying every episode, I wonder if there is a theme or deeper meaning behind each death

Oct 29, 2014 12:25 AM

Jul 2008
Damn first the Grandma goes after all that then the grandkids also died?!

It just gets more depressing as it goes.
Dec 26, 2014 3:25 PM

Dec 2012
RediceRyan said:
Another good episode.
Jan 16, 2015 11:23 PM

Jun 2013
another sad episode, though this one was at least a bit bittersweet.

I really don't mind that the main plot is moving slowly (only revealing bits and pieces of Kiaba's memory her and there) as long as it all comes together in the end.
Apr 25, 2015 5:08 AM

Apr 2013
Another brilliant episode. Shows like these are restoring my faith in anime
Jun 23, 2015 7:36 PM

Jul 2012
finally a scene with Neiro~
Jul 27, 2015 6:55 AM

Aug 2012
That running in the beginning... I could've easily watched a full episode of it.
Jul 27, 2015 4:56 PM

Jul 2014
Couldn't help sobbing. That treasure part was just beautiful. I'm still tearing up.
Looking forward to Kaiba's memories.
Nov 15, 2015 8:46 AM
Jul 2015
I am positively enchanted by this show. It's so lovely.
Jan 9, 2016 10:30 AM

Jul 2015
Wherever Kaiba goes he always find sad stories :(

Another good episode. Looks like some memories can be restored thanks to certain elements, which can be objects or phrases.

The story could be slow, I'm not gonna deny that. But if there are more episodes like this or the third one, with sub-plots and some hints of the main story near the end, I'm going to be ok.
♪♪ All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be ♪♪

Jul 11, 2016 6:07 PM

Aug 2008
Another pointless episode trying to get feels out of me with bad comedy and little plot development. Meh.
Aug 1, 2016 9:09 AM

Mar 2010
Kaiba always manage to destroy me emotionally somehow. It wasn't as sad as the previous episode, but still very good.
Aug 4, 2016 5:52 PM

Aug 2014
This episode proved to me that the world-building in this anime is phenomenal.

Great Episode.l
Dec 26, 2017 4:54 AM

Jan 2017
Wow, i just have no words...it's one moving story after another, and as this happens, the idea of the world that we get it's each time more sinister.

Grandma's story was certainly a very touching one; and the grandkids missing the bigger picture on the smallest things was a really good key message.

I find the whole 'anyone can access your memory database' to be both terrifying and fascinating.

SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Dec 13, 2018 8:15 PM

May 2011
gswelcome said:
Another pointless.

...comment, yours is what's pointless... also funny you think the point is comedy.
Dec 24, 2018 3:10 PM

Aug 2008
Seyfert said:
gswelcome said:
Another pointless.

...comment, yours is what's pointless... also funny you think the point is comedy.

Honored that you took the time to respond to a comment over two years old. Don't recall this episode that well any longer but I'm sure the point wasn't comedy at all just an attempt to give it a little spice. Or perhaps it was unintentional comedy. Just recall plotless pretentiousness. Sorry if a differing opinion is pointless for you though but some people have them.
Sep 11, 2019 5:29 PM

Jul 2017
gswelcome said:
Seyfert said:

Honored that you took the time to respond to a comment over two years old. Don't recall this episode that well any longer but I'm sure the point wasn't comedy at all just an attempt to give it a little spice. Or perhaps it was unintentional comedy. Just recall plotless pretentiousness. Sorry if a differing opinion is pointless for you though but some people have them.

And yet you respond to the comment, going to reply to this one too? also muh opinions is always a lame excuse.
Feb 5, 2020 7:26 AM

Aug 2016
me during this episode: aww is she repressing her emotions?
nooo dont blame yourself grandma
awww best spot for their grave
Mar 14, 2020 9:03 AM

Apr 2016
Another good episode and the ending part finally reveal something to us.
May 1, 2020 10:55 AM
Jul 2018
sad.. the moment when three of Grandma's past selves appear was beautiful but heartbreaking.. now flowers grow where they lay

absolutely loved the fish-shrimp bit
Feb 23, 2021 5:24 PM
Jan 2016
i cried in this episode :(
also this show kinda reminds me of antoine de saint-exupéry’s the little prince, in the way that the main character is going to different planets meeting different people and their stories.
Jul 25, 2021 10:25 PM

Mar 2012
My favorite part was the "circle of life" talk from the grandma. How we tend to look for the big things in front of us and never stop to appreciate the little things around us that we often take for granted.

It reminded me of the more heartwarming and bittersweet episodes of Courage the Cowardly Dog.

I also liked where her true memories were stored. I have a penchant for secret compartments and the like.
A good author leaves the audience enough material to be satisfied with, yet yearning for more.
Jun 15, 2022 5:34 AM

Jul 2021
It is interesting that the memory box is considered a treasure, just like this program. Memories are painful and we forget them, which always makes things worse. This is made worse by the fact that the hippocampus has lost its memory. It was nice to see him get his memory back at the end.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jun 18, 2023 9:50 AM

Aug 2016
This episode made me cry...
The fact that papy has died, just for a flower for his beloved... And the two brothers, who died together :(
Mar 20, 11:30 AM

Dec 2022
I don't think Vanilla cares for his job much, outside of the complementary gun.

Shaded Horizon

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» I’m indifferent to the point of dropping it

Sagepool - Apr 13

0 by Sagepool »»
Apr 13, 6:11 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Netforce - Aug 7, 2008

153 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 20, 5:30 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Trojun - Aug 7, 2008

64 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 20, 4:57 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 10 Discussion

8GaugeBrett - Jul 31, 2008

43 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 20, 4:02 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

freedo- - Jul 4, 2008

64 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 20, 3:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.