Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »
Jul 27, 2015 3:58 AM

Jun 2015
Gator said:
Come on, not using the philosopher's stone is sooo dumb. So you're not gonna use it at all and let all these lives sacrificed for it go to waste? Rather sacrifice your ability to use alchemy and stop helping people with it? ._.

I agree
Jul 30, 2015 12:39 PM

Oct 2014
Probably one of the greatest anime episodes I've ever seen. Greed's death was sad and it was so bittersweet that all he actually ever wanted was friends, and he finally got it, so he died happy. And then there was Hohenheim... a character I initially didn't even like, but who ended up being one of my favorites of the entire series. His willingness to sacrifice himself for Al, happiness at seeing Ed and Al back to normal, and tearful, happy goodbye at Trisha's grave were too much for me, and it made me tear up. What a beautiful goodbye. Though I almost wish he could've stayed, now that Al was back and Ed seemed to finally consider him as his father. Regardless, I'm still happy with the way that played out.

And, Al is actually back in his original body! That was great to see.

On the action side, Father's death was really well done... if Ed was going to kill anyone, it should have been him. And then, yet again, his death was kind of sad in a way, when it was revealed that all he truly wanted was knowledge of the world.

Can't wait to see how the last episode wraps everything up!
Aug 1, 2015 12:54 PM
Jul 2015
This episode was the reason why Van Hoinihim became my favorite character and why Brotherhood was better then the original series, up until that point they were neck and neck in terms of enjoyment but that last speech at Trisha's grave and the fact that he died happy and the music playing made me tear up hugely. Hoinihim to me will be the true main character of the series.
Aug 2, 2015 2:52 AM

Nov 2014
A very great episode of one of the best series. I agree with you guys' opinion.
Aug 14, 2015 2:32 PM
May 2015
Greed really made me tear up. When it was happening, I was just like, "This wasn't supposed to happen! This wasn't supposed to happen!" Crying to myself. Still, he went out epically. You go Greed; you finally got hat you wanted. Goodbye, Greed the Avaricious. Goodbye.
Sep 9, 2015 10:20 AM
Jun 2014
Since when can you choose what to lose? Why is Hohenheim's body made of alchemy and why did he die?

Oct 13, 2015 1:54 PM

Jul 2009
I was kinda sad Greed was taken away, but well, Lin had to live, so it was the only way...
I am glad Father is dead, really, he was responsible for many deaths.
Wow! Ed sacrificed his alchemy to save Al!!! Such a beautiful moment!
I believe Van's dead was for the best, he have been around the world for so many years.
Oct 17, 2015 4:28 PM

Jul 2015
Seriously? If Ed had simply used the stone, he could have either kept his alchemy, or, you know, SAVE HIS FATHER! Instead, he decided to be stuborn and hold on to a thing he once decided, without any good reason.

But even after Ed sacrificed his alchemy, nobody even bothered to use the stone on poor decaying Hohenheim... I get it, he had lived a really long life and he died happily, but still. In the end, he didn't even want to die.

And that's how you end up stripped of your greatest talent, with a dead father and a flask of useless red liquid.
Dec 20, 2015 7:10 AM
Nov 2014
Rest in peace Hohenheim, always a fan of his character. Will be missed imo, much more than Greed.
Aug 29, 2016 4:18 AM

Aug 2010
So the battle ended and I kind of pity the homunculus in the flask, but, NOOOOOO Ed lost his alchemy ability and Hohenheim dies???!!!! I wish he'd at least said goodbye first to Ed and Al before dying TT______TT

Wow, Greed saved Ling. I guess I'm used to the Greed-and-Ling combo, it's kind of sad to see Greed's destruction

I have this bittersweet feeling throughout this whole episode....
Sep 14, 2016 3:11 PM

Mar 2016
can't. stop. crying.

easily the best episode of the series, Greed's death was executed perfectly.
wow just wow 10/10 episode
Oct 3, 2016 6:33 PM

May 2014
Oh, Greed you big idiot!! He didn't even realize he already had what he was looking for right up until the end- at least he died happy though. Being the last homunculus was definitely an achievement as well.
He was my favorite character, but I don't think they did his death enough justice somehow...now Hohenheim's on the otherhand...that shit made me bawl my eyes out, especially with him going back to Trisha's grave.

He feels so much like the protagonist since everything circles back to him in the end. It makes sense why the first frame of the first opening features Hohemheim, and the last ending song centers around him as well. This story was his even more so than it is Ed's & Al's.

On another note, that means the "Truth" of equivalent exchange is the exchange of alchemy itself then, eh?
I guess it makes sense, since humans really shouldn't be given such a powerful tool in the first place.

So now that my favorite characters In the series (Greed, Hohenheim & Kimblee) are all dead looks like the final episode will be wrapping everything up in a neat little ribbon! I'm somehow conflicted and a bit salty...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 5, 2016 3:14 PM
Aug 2016
GREEEEEEEEEED!! Still hurts after 3 years now that I rewatch it!!
It would've been so SWEET to see Greedling ruling Xing and taking over the other clans...
Feb 11, 2017 2:15 PM

Jan 2016
There seems to be something in my eyes...

There was so much feels this episode. Ed and Al reunion with their bodies back on, Greed and Ling the true bromance, Ed calling Hohenheim "Dad", Hohenheim last words to his wife "I still want to live" while smiling

Greed will always be to me and i'm sure to a lot of people, the best homunculus and one of the bests characters of the entire anime/manga universe
Feb 13, 2017 12:57 AM

Dec 2013
I don't know who I feel more sorry for - Greed or Hohenheim. I wish both of them had survived :/
I also think that sacrificing by Ed the ability to do alchemy was kind of a waste.
Feb 28, 2017 10:37 PM
Jan 2012
Hohenheim's death always make me simultaneously cry and smile. Such a powerful scene.
Apr 17, 2017 3:07 PM

May 2016
Damn is it wrong that I want Greed and Hoenheim alive ;-;
Jun 14, 2017 5:00 PM

Mar 2017
Ummm... what to heck?
So Ed just lost his alchemy for no reason whatsoever? His dad offered his life, Ed refused and gave his alchemy instead... but then his dad dies anyway? Seriously? So he lost it for nothing.
He did beat The Truth at his own game though, but what good does that do for him? He didn't even get his leg back for that.
Ed without his alchemy... now he's just a little runt lmao
Jun 23, 2017 5:24 AM
Mar 2016
the first thing when all around world getting hype with solar eclipse (2016) is
"brave your self if anyone use Nationwide Transmutation Circle"
Jul 2, 2017 6:04 AM

Jan 2013
Greed dying was sad but expected.
Hohenheim having his final moments near Trisha's grave were touching.

I wonder if Ed got his leg back after giving up his "Gateway of Truth" / his alchemy ...
Jul 11, 2017 4:29 PM

Jun 2017
I sobbed! I'm so happy that Al got his body back!!

The scene where Pinako finds Hohenheim's body in front of Trisha's grave and says that she's never seen a dead person so happy was really touching as well!
Jan 31, 2018 9:23 PM
Nov 2017
I... I don't have words to describe how much i loved this LEGEND.

There wont be any series as good as this one in the future. This series will receive the praise for centuries to come and will always have a special place in my heart.
Feb 17, 2018 10:36 AM
Mar 2017
Noobface said:

Ed without his alchemy... now he's just a little runt lmao

He is a little dwarf growled and with bad temper

The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Feb 24, 2018 10:42 PM

Jun 2017
Nooo Greed. He was the last sin standing, and my favorite of the sins. ;-; You will never be forgotten :c
Feb 24, 2018 10:59 PM

Jun 2017
Alphonse finally got his body back...Hoenhime is dead. I am so sad abiut that. Sigh...
Mar 16, 2018 1:34 PM

Dec 2009
I thought when Ed was facing Truth it was going to be the best moment of the episode.

Hohenheim at the grave of Trisha was too much. I broke down. At the end of his life he wanted to live, even when he had been searching for a way to die all along. Maybe it is because I am getting along in my years, but a father fighting for his sons is tough on me now.
Apr 21, 2018 11:16 AM

Nov 2011
The evolution of the story was intriguing to the end, even this time the plot twists were, for me, pleasantly unusual. I'm sorry that Van Hohenheim dies right now that it's all over. Greed's death was very sad, he had become a very nice character as far as I'm concerned.
Jan 21, 2019 2:28 PM

Jun 2015
rip hohenheim, he didn't do all the right things but he tried his best in the final moments.
same for greed actually
Jan 25, 2019 12:40 PM

Oct 2015
saengdao said:
rip hohenheim, he didn't do all the right things but he tried his best in the final moments.
same for greed actually

What did he do wrong though? He spent hundreds of years enhancing his knowledge and laid the foundation for Alkahestry whose main purpose is healing and alleviating pain as opposed to Alchemy which is destruction. He sought ways for reversing his immortality to no avail and had to leave his family after coming to the realization of a Nationwide Transmutation Circle led by the Homunclus he was deceived by. Then rather than fleeing to a foreign country he used his remaining life putting fragments of his Philosopher's Stone, which he could've used for selfish reasons like prolonging his life as much as possible, throughout the nation for a last countermeasure against Father. And in the end they were able to return the souls of the Amestrians because of his plan. Had it not been for that, it'd be impossible to win against Father with 50 million souls of Amestrians inside him. He's the unsung hero of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood in my opinion.
Feb 23, 2019 6:38 AM

Oct 2013
Another epic episode.

Poor Greed, his sacrifice and last words were sad, yet beautiful.

Hohenheim found peace and died. I liked how this character turned out to be that complex and with good heart, even if we met him making that harsh face expression towards young Al and Ed before he went on his journey. About the journey, it appeared to be in fact a part of bigger plan on stopping Father from his mad idea on becoming a perfect being.

Alphonse got his body back, though Edward lost his abilities related to the alchemy. Small price anyway, for getting back his beloved brother.

The saddest thing about this episode is that the next one will be a final one to this great anime.
Apr 6, 2019 10:48 PM

May 2016
This episode had so many feels...

Greed offered himself to the Dwarf to make him unable to fight anymore and proved that was the best Homunculus among them all. He gave up his greedy ambition to be the king of the world with Ling because he realized that he got everything he needed in life in the form of the friends he fought with and fought for.

Edward gave up his ability to perform Alchemy so he can save Alphonse and return him to the living world. Ed acknowledging that his friends are the most important part of his life that even surpassed his love for power and knowledge as an Alchemist turned out to be the one answer the Truth has been looking for all this time and it's something worthy of grand celebration.

Hohenheim finally reached the end of his immortal run and his happy departure was one of the most emotional scenes in the anime ever. After finally being recognized as a father by both the Elric Brothers and fulfilling his life's purpose, that good for nothing dad just can't decide for himself on whether to pass on and it's absolutely heartbreaking...

Apr 19, 2019 9:04 PM

Jan 2016
Rewatcher.

I cried my fucking eyes out when Rain came on and they showed us Hohenheim's life.

Also really liked Ed's quote
"I saw the truth and was convinced I could solve everything with Alchemy"

Still a 5/5 episode.
Sep 28, 2019 7:13 AM
Aug 2019
Father is finally dead

Ed trades his alchemy for his brother

RIP Hohenheim
Nov 4, 2019 1:59 AM

Jan 2011
@Ahenshihael : it is shit
There is like 2 weeks delay in my recent reading list
I randomly bought discount/second hand manga with cute/mysterious cover.

Use Personal Blacklist extension in Chrome if you just want to Google for a series synopsis, without google slapping MAL score in it.
3/1
Nov 10, 2019 12:09 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Alphonse recovered his body and Hohenheim died, this ending was just so great
Jan 31, 2020 9:16 AM

Apr 2019
FMA:B Opening 5 - Rain

Hohenheim dies - Rain begins to play.

a truly fitting song for a great character

Apr 9, 2020 8:41 PM

Feb 2020
ed gave up alchemy to bring back al!! what a development he has had. at the start of the show, he was convinced alchemy was the answer to everything and he was reliant on it and on his abilities to solve every situation. but he realised that having alchemy meant nothing if his brother wasn't with him.

and greed sacrificed himself to save ling and ed and everyone else, because despite him saying throughout that he wanted power, what he was really greedy for was friendship. when he realised he had it, he was finally satisfied.

both ed and greed realised that what is more important, more than power and more than your desires, is love and having people around you that you care about. and so they were both willing to give up what was important to them for that. it's a really touching message and an emotional note to end the show on.

the dwarf in the flask homunculus you had it coming you douchebag xoxo

also of course hohenheim starts becoming a more likeable character towards the end and then poof he dies. typical lol. but it was nice to see a more fatherly side to him, i really liked that rather than all the mystery that constantly used to surround his character. and he was willing to sacrifice himself for al! it's a shame ed and al weren't able to spend time with him as a father especially now that they had accepted him.
May 16, 2020 4:41 PM
Apr 2018
So this is basically the end. Welp, I ended up liking Greed a lot, I felt sorry for him.
May 17, 2020 5:43 PM

Nov 2017
I'll save the last episode for tomorrow, lol.

Mayne, Greed was always the most likable homunculus for me. So I'm truly saddened to see him go. The development he went through from when he's first introduced until his last words is incredible. I wouldn't have minded if he stayed alive, but I'm glad he died with a smile on his face and with no regrets. How many (real or fictional) can say that?

Father is finally defeated and his final moments are also why he's one of my favourite anime antagonists. He just wanted to be free and to know everything, but in the end, he learned nothing.

Meanwhile, Ed is trying to find a way to get Al back. Hohenheim apologizing hit me so hard and cranked the waterworks. &++ the tears did not stop. Can't stop, won't stop, *Diddy voice* eh eh, eh eh!

^This is my favourite moment in the whole damn series! Damn, and no matter how much time has passed, Ed still remembers Nina. "I'm a puny human who couldn't even save a girl who was turned into a chimera." 😭

"Even if I lose alchemy, I still have my friends!" 😭

The Truth couldn't even be angry. It was smiling from ear to ear. It was like it was happy someone just ended up doing the right thing and found the truth (hee). Ed's right though.

Cherish the people that enrich your lives. What we sometimes fail to realize is that time is the most valuable thing we have. Time is an expensive thing, and creating memories and experiencing moments is the way to spend it. Our family and friends are the true treasures we should give our time to. Unlike money, when you spend time, you can't get it back no matter what you do. And we all have limited time, so it makes sense to spend it on those who love you, support you, and want what's best for you.

Sometimes you just gotta step back and realize how many precious human beings you have in your life. I'm typing this because the day will come when we need to say goodbye and we need to be strong knowing that we spent as much time with those special people as much as we could, and made many beautiful memories together.

I've already lost wonderful people who are no longer here with us, and I'm just blessed and lucky to have people in my life that are my anchor.

Ahem, anyway... Ahhhh, Hohenheim talking at Trisha's grave. I dead ass had the same reaction and face as Pinako when I first watched and read. What the hell am I talking about? I still do. :'-)

&++ I know none of the anime staff are going to read this lol, but I still want to say thank you. To the writers, producers, music artists, animators, planners, voice actors, etc. Thank you for adapting Hiromu Arakawa's brainchild into anime form!
May 21, 2020 1:51 PM

Nov 2016
On my first rewatch, I couldn't stop crying again from Hohenheim's death T_T
Jul 29, 2020 10:04 AM

Jul 2020
Rest in peace Hohenheim
I have never felt so sad on anyone's death, man, can't even explain how I felt and why

FEELINGS THAT TRANSCEND TIME
AND A RESOLVE THAT CROSSES WORLDLINES
THERE IS NO BOND STRONGER THAN THAT...
Aug 2, 2020 12:40 AM

Aug 2018
Probably best episode of the show, the two big losses of Greed and Hohenheim were truly memorable and also the very deserved fate of Father who just didn't stood a chance against Truth in the end. Ed truly is one of the best shonen protagonists for his sacrifice of power and probably no stupid ways of getting it back like I see in other anime series I don't want to talk about in this thread.

Overall this episode is 10/10 hands down
Aug 2, 2020 8:31 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
I liked this episode. My only quibble is Major Armstrong's words about the Elric brothers. If they hadn't been around, the country might never have come to that point of danger in the first place.
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
Sep 9, 2020 8:39 AM
Aug 2020
FAIR ENOUGH everyone got what they wanted/deserved at the end somehow...

Greed just wanted to have some friends same :(

I was pissed at Ed for not using the philosophy stone like come on dude! but nonetheless great episode and great show!!!!

Nov 14, 2020 9:18 AM

Jul 2017
A bittersweet rollercoaster of emotions this episode. The sacrifice of Greed after realizing he got what he wanted, friends who were by his side through thick and thin, the death of Father, the sacrifice of Ed's alchemy completely to bring back Alphonse and then having both brothers physically be there together with everyone else after many years, Hohenheim passing away next to Trisha's grave in peace after everyone was saved (especially their siblings having their bodies back), and much much more.

Man this show's just too damn special for me. By the time Hohenheim passed and Pinako cried when seeing him pass with a smile, the entire adventure and what it delivered made me tear up just a little. Even got revealed the face Hohenheim made in that one photo he and Trisha took with their kids (the only one) where he was crying there too. After what all he has gone through with his life, seeing that just hit home.

I feel like with the directing and music of the original, it would be my favorite anime of all time even after seeing 1000+ anime easily. But still, it's not far off from that area and only 1 more episode is left to complete the journey, for a 3rd time.
Nov 22, 2020 8:45 AM
Nov 2020
amazing ending just perfect
Jan 12, 2021 10:06 PM

Aug 2017
I feel bad for Greed in this episode. RIP. I was laughing when Father was being pulled into the Gate, u little shit. Oh Pride is still alive, wtf Ed!! Hohenheim death was expected too, its a shame his own sons couldn't say goodbye.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 26, 2021 9:16 AM

Jul 2020
first of all, I want to acknowledge how Greed played, farewell my dude.

why the fuck he didn't use the philosopher stone ???

and last, Von Hohenheim. T_T
he made me cry even though he is to blame from the beginning.

ps: the next ep will be the last. let's see how it plays out
Mar 29, 2021 5:35 AM
Mar 2021
End of the a masterpiece <3
Apr 6, 2021 4:04 PM

Apr 2020
I absolutely love fma and this episode was very emotional with Greed being awesome and stuff, but the ending has always been kinda unsatisfying to me.

Like, why should we care if Ed can no longer use alchemy. Isn't that, like, a very small toll to pay? Couldn't all of them just give up alchemy so as to not lose any body parts, or is alchemy more important than having a body, not bleeding internally and your vision? idk...

I get it that when they were children they couldn't have thought to give up their gate in order to keep their bodies but still...

Everyone seems to be loving this ending though, so yeah Greed-Lin; amazing character combo and a beautiful departure.
iLuvPunsApr 6, 2021 4:07 PM
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

132 by Chewbaccaccino »»
Apr 21, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.