Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (35) « First ... « 28 29 [30] 31 32 » ... Last »
Jul 11, 2014 7:39 PM

Nov 2011
Eh. What to say. I enjoyed the series, but it wasn't executed very well.

The humor at the beginning felt a tad out of place, mostly with Yuri. It's like she suddenly became a different person. The graduation was nice overall, though. Seeing them disappear like that was sad. It was a little disappointing that the side characters disappeared off-screen.

The Kanade-Otonoshi tie-in was nice, but a bit of a stretch. Going by logic, Yui shouldn't have been able to move if Otonoshi still didn't have his heart. Maybe because the world is meant to help people move on, Yui was able to move, and Otonoshi only appeared so Kanade could move on. That would explain his appearance (and amnesia) despite being somewhat fulfilled in life, and would also explain why he didn't have his heart: So Kanade could recognize that this is the person she wanted to thank.

Again, the ending was sad, but I didn't cry or anything. That ED is awesome. The reincarnation bit made the trouble everyone went through feel a bit cheap, though, even if it would provide a happy ending. I'd actually rather that they hadn't showed that part. (In my mind: It never happened. Lol.)

I think this series would have been a lot better with a 24 episode run. Still, it managed to be pretty enjoyable despite its flaws... I feel like giving it an 8 would be too generous, yet a 6 (which fits with my scale) seems too low for how much I enjoyed it. A 7 it is, then.

...I need to balance down my list. The first season of Clannad wasn't this good, and I have it as a 7 atm. <.<;

I'm glad I finally got around to watching this. Goodbye, cast~ ♥
Jul 12, 2014 11:18 AM

Dec 2010
Man, this beats my most disappointing endings by far, far, far. So few(none) explanations that in the end this anime turned into a bunch of pointless drama. Not that the drama wasn't good, but this doesn't change the fact.

And isn't it a real scumbag move from Otonashi to send off everyone and then propose to Kanade to stay with him in what can become a paradise? I really disliked his decision to "erase"(nice choice of words, Naoi) his friends in the very beginning but he really hit the top in the end.

Also, so many undeveloped backgrounds and characters, if it wasn't for Iwasawa and Yui, I'd score this show with 0 in the Characters department.

I'll expand my rant impressions later =.= I need a break after such endings *goes out*
Jul 16, 2014 2:37 PM

Aug 2012
Terrible ending! I hated how they started it with "three days later" and everyone is gone!! TK!!

The graduation was cute though :)
and then Otonashi had to ruin it all by wanting to keep Kanade there with him! With her being alone and attacked half the time she deserves peace more than anyone! it was really weird how he flipped out at the end o.o

I really wanted to see Kanade's full backstory. So she got Otonashi's heart but still ended up dyeing young?!

I was just left more unsatisfied than I thought I would be with this ending.... oh well it was an alright show =)
Jul 17, 2014 6:31 PM

May 2014
Started on this show today, and finished it a few moments ago. I cried so much, perfect ending but so, so sad. Goodbye Angel Beats(now on to some hentai hehehe)
Jul 19, 2014 6:35 PM

Jun 2013
Watched this in one sitting (although, I've already seen parts of it when my brother watched it a year ago) as was suggested to me. First thing I said after finishing it, was that it had an unsatisfying ending. It's definitely not good to think that, but it's not like it was a complete waste of time.

There were some really good episodes, both heartfelt and comedic ones. But there were things they could have gone into more detail. I would've liked to see everyone's back story (although, this could've dragged the series for a long time). But why introduce all those characters? I thought Noda and/or Shiina were going to be far more significant than they ended up being.

By the way, why did Kanade end up there before Otonashi? I guess the afterlife doesn't have to make sense.

Overall rating: 9/10 (Mostly because I'm a sucker for emotional stuff, but after thinking about it and writing this, I'm leaning towards 8-8.5)
"Tell me, how does it feel to live in a constant haze of stupidity." - Hiei, Yuyu Hakusho
Aug 2, 2014 5:56 PM

Aug 2013
pretty good final ep at first i was depressed as fuck thinking that he got left there all by himself, but luckily the after credits cleared it up
Yo
Aug 2, 2014 10:26 PM

Nov 2012
Their graduation was so emotional.

Everyone moving on was just so...*crying*

Kanade got Otonashi's heart...really hitting the feel factor now ;__;.

Otonashi all alone crying for Kanade (really stop,this is heartbreaking </3)

So Otonashi and Kanade met in their next life,that's reassuring.

This show would have benefited more if this had been 26 episodes.Sadly a remake seems unlikely,but would be a pleasant surprise if it were to happen.

This was a solid 7/10 but bumped it up to 8/10 after this episode.
Aug 19, 2014 11:24 AM

Sep 2013
That was great! Maybe the ending was a little bit rushed but it was great anyway. And that final scene was good! The anime let you know that after vanishing they continue living happily accepting their tragedies (I suppose in another universe or something like that) instead of simply ending the story with everybody vanishing and making us suppose that they disappear ending with their lives. I really liked!
In every score, there's a feeling...
Aug 29, 2014 10:48 PM

May 2014
Plothole at the end, I dislike this ep and it didn't move me at all.
Sep 3, 2014 12:28 AM
Aug 2014
Some people say this series was rushed, but I think 13 episodes was sufficient enough to tell the story. I would have liked some backstory on TK, though :P

I didn't physically tear up until Angel said her reason for being in the afterworld (is that what it's called?) was to thank the donor who extended her life. That was so touching, as well as when Otonash said he wanted to be with her forever.
Sep 4, 2014 8:14 PM

Feb 2013
Very fitting closing episode for the anime.

That last 30 seconds almost ruins it... I like to think of it as a "could have been" moment similar to Yui x Hinata.

Ok, time for the analysis...

The entire purpose of this purgatory-like place is to allow them to get past their regrets. The game is rigged! This becomes apparent when Iwasawa gets to sing her song and she disappears. Then it is made obvious to the viewer, but more importantly to Otonashi, when Hinata does not catch the baseball (he needed to stick around for Yui's sake). Otonashi was brought there to get everyone out. There is an incredible amount of setup to get Yuri out (everything leading up to the shadows, which are necessary for her to be able to move on). It just so happens that Otonashi was just the right person for the job because he was also the only one who could get Kanade out.

Good stuff.
Sep 16, 2014 11:22 AM

Jun 2014
That was kind of dissappoting.
Everyone just disappeared off screen?
Seriously?

It got better near the end,although it Kanade's backstory doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
I guess time is convoluted in lordran.
Wait what...
Sep 27, 2014 12:02 PM

Jan 2014
Ha, Naoi. "You can praise me now."

The ending wasn't quite as sad as I'd been led to believe. It was more sappy than sad.

ASFHL:L WATZ Kanade was the organ recipient of Otonoshi's heart? I did not see that coming. That was a nice touch.
Sep 28, 2014 4:05 PM

Jul 2013
Wait!

If Otonoshi died first, why Kanade got in the purgatory before? It seems to me a like a bit of a stretch.

Regardless of everything, though, I loved the series. I'm also someone who thinks it suffered from being only 13 episodes long, but I thought they managed to handle it pretty well.

The pace is my main complain about the show. The art and the soundtrack are beautiful and even though the show felt a bit inconsistent at times, I loved it.

7/10
Oct 6, 2014 11:24 PM
Jul 2018
Dissapointed. I've heard so many good things about this "tearjerker" anime, not a single tear was shed. Still an enjoyable series doe (forced comedy sometimes). 8/10
Oct 15, 2014 11:31 AM

Jul 2014
I loved the ending for the most part. I wish there was like a 2 minute clip of Kanade's backstory but I guess that isn't essential. I liked how they were the only two left, and Otonashi was able to give her fulfillment. I didn't like how he had to be left alone crying. Would have been nice to see them go off together being happy. But I guess this allows for a more open ended view from our perspective. He could have stayed behind for however long.

A lot of people didn't like the last 30 second flashback but I really enjoyed it. It wasn't necessary because viewers would be satisfied with an open ending here but I wanted them to have their chance together. We don't know when or where that time is that they see each other again, but at least we can believe it happens - no matter how unrealistic it may be, it satisfies me to see that it "happens"

I wish we got to see Kanade play the song on the piano like in the intro tho! but I guess I got to see that every episode so I can't complain too much
Oct 16, 2014 3:31 PM

Dec 2013
Started watching it again after so long and the ending still makes it hard on me, i just wish they did a ova series about the afterlife so it was more satisfying </3
Nov 4, 2014 9:01 PM

Jul 2012
It was pretty decent for the first half but got redundant and trainwrecky near the end. I'm conflicted whether it deserves a 5 or 6 because I really liked the ideas used in this show but the characters and execution were so weak. After the climax of the series (finding out MC's backstory and such and Kanade turning into a good guy), it just got bland and uninteresting. The story with Hinata and Yui should have been put earlier with the girl who got obliterated by singing a song. It left no emotional impact on me after the climax.

Also, wtf, this show was more funny than feel-sy/serious. I thought it would have been better if it stuck with the comedy (like the episode when they made Kanade flunk her exams)
Nov 5, 2014 7:00 AM
Sep 2014
This anime is good but there's a big question in my mind >.< Kanade was in the Afterlife first so why did she have Otonashi's heart? Kanade mentioned that her soul got lost as well as Otonashi, so is that the reason? ?.?
Nov 5, 2014 4:04 PM

Nov 2013
mhik101 said:
This anime is good but there's a big question in my mind >.< Kanade was in the Afterlife first so why did she have Otonashi's heart? Kanade mentioned that her soul got lost as well as Otonashi, so is that the reason? ?.?

Otonashi died, and he donated his organs.
Kanade died, wishing to thank the one who donated his heart to her (Otonashi).
Kanade was sent to the school.
After a while, Otonashi was sent to the school to fulfill Kanade's wish.

Or you can just say that it's a plothole. It's not the most well-explained plot twist, to be frank.
Nov 10, 2014 12:24 AM

Jun 2008
I thought the ending was underwhelming compared to the rest of the anime.
HEY!
Nov 14, 2014 6:40 AM

Sep 2014
i never expect to love that much this show. How they adress death, and acceptance of faith its wounderfull. The main problem was the short amount of episode. With 24 the could make a masterpiece, focusing in all the characters and explaining things that sound like plotholes (Like if the protagonist die first than Angel, why she was there first). But in general it a great show
Nov 26, 2014 11:10 PM

Oct 2013
It's a good thing there's an upcoming visual novel. That should flesh out all the character development and the plot.
Nov 27, 2014 3:55 AM

Nov 2013
4O4 said:
It's a good thing there's an upcoming visual novel. That should flesh out all the character development and the plot.

The Visual Novel has been delayed indefinately. Also, considering that it's going to be released in 6 different volumes and that it will take years to translate it in english, we may as well forget about it for now (as sad as it is).
Nov 30, 2014 2:29 PM
Dec 2013
so tenshis reason to be in this world was to say thanks to otonashi that donor his heart to her,the reason for otonashi to be there was to help everyone to graduate and help tenshi to thanks the person who gave her the heart?Im a little confused for the reason otonashi was there after all..

I have understand everything else but thats what Im not really sure. :P
AperfectCircle9Nov 30, 2014 2:33 PM
Dec 10, 2014 2:30 PM
Sep 2014
Great episode, i even liked "after credits" scene.
I love how they kept it open for new season .
Also, it would be much better if series had 24 episodes and more drama, since this is way too short time for some people to care about characters.

AperfectCircle9 said:
so tenshis reason to be in this world was to say thanks to otonashi that donor his heart to her,the reason for otonashi to be there was to help everyone to graduate and help tenshi to thanks the person who gave her the heart?Im a little confused for the reason otonashi was there after all..

I have understand everything else but thats what Im not really sure. :P

He was there because he didnt realise he lived full life afterall, he remembered that when he was sleeping next to Kanade bed. But then he decided that he will stay behind so he can guide newcomers to next stage and that what kept him there after all.
Btw, i was suprised when he didnt disappear since he wanted become a doctor because of his sister words-Thank you. I thought that they two will go together since he wanted to hear Thank you, and Kanade wanted to say it to him.

Also, what Klooha said is most likely true. Since, Yuzuru died before Kanade, but Kanade came to "school" way before him. There was probably more tips about that, we just didnt notice it.
NarcoDec 10, 2014 2:36 PM
Dec 23, 2014 9:57 AM
Nov 2014
game8910 said:
AmityDaydreams said:

She got a heart transplant and died anyway? HAHA

this is what I thougth too...they also never explained how Yuri or Kanade died

yuri they did. she commited suicide.
but kanade they didn't :
Dec 31, 2014 3:43 PM

Dec 2013
PedroMMiguel said:
game8910 said:

this is what I thougth too...they also never explained how Yuri or Kanade died

but kanade they didn't :

I'm pretty sure they said that people who commit suicide can't go to that world so...

On another note, how is Kanade his transplant recipient if she was in the world before Otonashi? fail.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Jan 1, 2015 4:36 AM

Jan 2015
So many people here not knowing what the end means... How unwise. What's probably the most accepted interpertation is that those two kids in the end of the episode are reencarnations of Kanade and Otonashi, meaning he did get obliterated afterall. And for some reason they have slight memories of the time spent in the afterlife and so he recons "Kanade" because she was singing "My Song". They were never in a coma, as suggested by some... And as to the questions that remain, I think that we don't really have to understand EVERYTHING, enjoy it.
Cheza-samaJan 1, 2015 9:02 AM
Jan 1, 2015 9:05 AM

Jan 2015
TheArchangels said:
PedroMMiguel said:

but kanade they didn't :

I'm pretty sure they said that people who commit suicide can't go to that world so...

On another note, how is Kanade his transplant recipient if she was in the world before Otonashi? fail.

Maybe he was put in a kind of limbo until he was needed in the afterlife to help obliterate Kanade... Idk
Jan 2, 2015 10:04 AM

Dec 2011
God some people insist on them being in coma. Otonashi died and his heart was given to Kanade.

Time in afterlife is different. Also it was stated that for a long time Otonashi was in a limbo. He arrived late to the afterlife world.
Jan 2, 2015 4:58 PM

Jan 2014
Just finished re-watching this show and wow did I missed a lot of important things. So, it's clear that Otanashi donated his organs and Kanade happens to be the one who received his heart. My question is that who created that alternate world? cause I have a hunch that it's Otanashi and somehow he reversed time or whatever, and that is the reason why he and Kanade is in the same place. Or probably it happened while she's in coma and Otanashi is just unnaturally late. Funny, I didn't even realize any of these things when I watched this for the very first time. I guess enjoyment can make you overlook flaws and stuff.
Recommend me an anime
Jan 9, 2015 12:24 PM

Nov 2014
Rhedak said:
Also to clear some stuff up:

It was explicitely stated that Kanade got Otonashi's heart transplant and that her regrets from her previous life were never being able to thank the one that allowed her to life on. So yes, he did die, no coma ending. So the bit at the end must have been their next life.

Well explained. I thought the ending was great. My only complaint about the series overall is that it explained too much. Seriously. There's too much to keep up with. I would have preferred quicker, simpler, explanations. Other than that, loved it. 8/10.
Jan 11, 2015 9:27 PM

Feb 2014
The supposed feels of this anime did not get to me once. This was not sad or tear jerking at all. I think this anime tried to be to many things and never excelled in any of them.

5/10
Jan 14, 2015 1:20 AM

Aug 2014
eXtacy67 said:
I think this anime tried to be to many things and never excelled in any of them.

My thoughts exactly. Fair ending for a fair series.
Jan 15, 2015 6:40 AM

Dec 2014
Well that disappointing :/
Didn't really care for any part of it and it seemed all over the place.

4/10
Jan 18, 2015 2:31 AM

Sep 2013
It was a good series. 7/10 for me because there was so much explanation sometimes, and there's too much to keep up with. If only they made it more simple IMO. So, there were some things I didn't understand completely

I'll be honest too, it didn't get to me either. I thought it would :/

I feel so dumb because I totally forgot Otonashi signed a organ donor card. So I was a little confused when Otonashi and Kanade were talking about at the end

Jan 19, 2015 3:01 PM

Dec 2009
I told myself I wouldn't cry. I cried. I cried so hard.

It's incredibly touching that everyone was able to move on despite their problems with life. Even if we never end up meeting one another again and we all lose touch somehow someway we are connected as individuals. Maybe in 1000 years from now when we are all gone and scattered from existance we will all meet again somewhere.
Jan 19, 2015 3:07 PM
Dec 2013
rushed as fuck
6/10 for the series

they should have done this with 24 episodes
Jan 19, 2015 3:10 PM

Jan 2015
The way I interpreted the ending was reincarnation, with them having leftover memories of what had happened.

I would have loved the series to be longer
Jan 20, 2015 6:36 AM

Dec 2013
So I've finally finished this hyper-popular anime.

Well people are overexaggerating with it being the saddest thing in the world. In my opinion it was a really nice ending. It was predictable that they all will disappear. The confession was kinda random. How could Yuzuru love Kanade so much..they barely spent any time together. The scene after the ending was also giving hope.
Though I have to admit I almost cried in the beginning of the episode when Kanade hummed My Song. But it was just because the song is one of the best thing I've ever heard. And it was sang by the best girl from this show.
Also I just can't feel for a kuudere. They feel so inhuman. Good thing Kanade changed a bit during the last episodes.

Overall: great visuals (both art and animation), too fast pacing, much more action than I expected (idk why but I thought it's a SoL lol), passable characters - I liked Iwasawa and Yuri a lot but the rest were just ok, pretty good story and AMAZING soundtrack. 6/10

Screw people telling it's so sad, I delayed watching this anime by a whole year because of that.

And a plot hole: how could Kanade be a Student Counsil President before Yuzuru entered the Death World if she got Yuzuru's heart transplanted = she died AFTER him.
Jan 21, 2015 7:13 PM

Jun 2014
I finished this anime a couple weeks ago, so I kinda forgot some things I was gonna mention (oops), but anyway...

Overall, I found this anime rather enjoyable, and while there were some boring parts, the touching parts made it worthwhile for me ;-; HOWEVER I agree with what a lot of people have been saying. Why so rushed? Why no backstory for so many characters? Why no explanation about how the characters (at the very least the main ones) died aside from Ootonashi? WHY SO MUCH WASTED POTENTIAL LIKE WHY?

Also, Kanade having Ootonashi's heart was a MAJOR plot flaw. Okay okay, so if she got his heart then that obviously means that he died way before she did. First she had to get his heart transplanted into her, and then she probably lived for a bit after that. However, she had clearly been in that afterlife place for a long time, way before he first got there. Did I miss some kind of explanation here?

The other reason I thought it was a plot flaw was because her regret was not thanking the person who saved her. Well, I mean, you can't very well thank someone who's dead, can you? ._.

For all my complaints, I still really enjoyed this anime ^-^ And I really did feel that the friends parting in the last episode was super sad. I give it an 8/10.
KageNoAbisuJan 21, 2015 7:18 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 21, 2015 7:21 PM

Jun 2014
HazukashiiDesu said:
The confession was kinda random. How could Yuzuru love Kanade so much..they barely spent any time together.

THANK YOU I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO THOUGHT THAT
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 22, 2015 7:37 PM
Jul 2012
the series overall was great i enjoyed it i gave it a 7/10 mostly because i would have done things rather different then they did example instead of a picture of everyone disappearing i would have done it as a slideshow of everybody reborn in the living world like the band met up again playing a live concert, yui and hinata together on a date, and things like that before showing the end. i feel as something along those lines would've improved the ending. just my opinion.
Jan 28, 2015 2:47 PM
Dec 2013
the ending was pretty good but damm this series was rushed as hell
Why wasn't this 2-cour?

wasted potential
6/10
Feb 15, 2015 12:12 PM

Sep 2014
Finished this months ago.. but still those feels.. LOVE THIS SHOW <3!
Feb 15, 2015 12:18 PM

Sep 2014
[quote=KageNoAbisu

Overall, I found this anime rather enjoyable, and while there were some boring parts, the touching parts made it worthwhile for me ;-; HOWEVER I agree with what a lot of people have been saying. Why so rushed? Why no backstory for so many characters? Why no explanation about how the characters (at the very least the main ones) died aside from Ootonashi? WHY SO MUCH WASTED POTENTIAL LIKE WHY?

Also, Kanade having Ootonashi's heart was a MAJOR plot flaw. Okay okay, so if she got his heart then that obviously means that he died way before she did. First she had to get his heart transplanted into her, and then she probably lived for a bit after that. However, she had clearly been in that afterlife place for a long time, way before he first got there. Did I miss some kind of explanation here?

The other reason I thought it was a plot flaw was because her regret was not thanking the person who saved her. Well, I mean, you can't very well thank someone who's dead, can you? ._.
[/quote]

Yes. Otonashi died before Kanade. But why Kanade is longer in afterlife ? - Otonashi died without regrets so he didn't get into afterlife. Then Kanade died and her regret was that she didn't thank the guy who saved her by giving his heart. So because of her regret Otonashi was brought to afterlife.
Feb 16, 2015 2:22 AM

Nov 2013
KageNoAbisu said:

Plotholes everywhere. So illogical. 1/10. I'm gonna go change my score right now.
Lollo36Feb 16, 2015 2:26 AM
Mar 7, 2015 6:14 AM

Oct 2014
What the hell? They rushed everything especially we didn't get to see TK's disappearance and Yuri's disapperance wasn't emotional she disappeared just like that no way. They didn't explained Kanade and Yuri's background either. I wasn't expecting ending to be such a trainwreck 6/10
Mar 7, 2015 1:03 PM
Feb 2015
Just finished the anime, loved it 10/10

Cried like a bitch at the ending with the Kanade confession, I knew people cried at the end but I didn't see that one coming

The anime is still rushed because it's only 13 episodes and it's the worse point of it :/

I really hope they will do a reboot or something ( I've heard rumor on that of Reddit but don't know what to think of it )

So 10/10 because it contains pretty much everything: action, fellings ( a lot ), and humor
Pages (35) « First ... « 28 29 [30] 31 32 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

661 by Hue_Enjoyer »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 18, 2010

462 by SanessyAdversary »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 11, 2010

377 by SanessyAdversary »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 28, 2010

564 by Hue_Enjoyer »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - May 14, 2010

536 by Hue_Enjoyer »»
Apr 17, 9:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.