Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 16, 2014 5:56 PM

Jun 2013
I don't understand why everyone is calling Re-L a "bitch", this story is set in the future and she used Iggy as the technology she believed he was... we do not treat our computers or cell phones any different, they just serve their function. Her servant robot actually had feelings, resulting in Re-L's remorse and shock at the end of the episode when she realizes she had been treating something with emotion as something without emotion. Imagine if your childhood teddy bear woke up one day and said "I can't believe you threw me around and treated me so horribly", you would never expect that to happen! In reality, us humans are all guilty of exploiting the world for our own benefit.

I thought the way Iggy sacrificed himself despite his pain and feelings of neglect was so gut-wrenching to watch and I found myself crying at that part so badly. I hope Re-L learns to treat Peno in the way that she never learned to treat Iggy. This show is so good :')
May 21, 2014 7:12 AM

Oct 2013
Litrydow said:
Re-L is so annoying, and there goes one of the few decent characters of the show, that's not a good thing.

He was infected he had to go.

Jun 5, 2014 2:23 PM

Mar 2014
Someone give an Oscar to Iggy for the speech of his!! So much symbolism.. Truly an underated masterpiece of both japanimation and cinematic art!
Sep 1, 2014 11:44 AM
Apr 2013
This was such a good episode. The english dub is probably the best dub I have ever seen and I prefer it over the original. I like that Re-L is developing and hopefully she will be less of a, as iggy puts it, "An incompetent selfish bitch"
Although Re-L really though iggy had no soul and is just a robot so her attitude to Iggy and Pino (pino is so adorable) makes sense.
Nov 24, 2014 2:15 PM

Jul 2014
I think a lot of people are finding Re-l annoying because they aren't understanding where she's coming from. She's the daughter of the Reagent. She grew up knowing power and respect. Pretty much nothing in the world could touch her while everyone else had to watch their backs and keep themselves in check.

Vincent is a mere immigrant. Their society is different from what we have in the world right now, immigrants are the low class. (Edit: I guess this isn't necessarily true, I'm saying this from living in the US, but there are developed countries with similar hierarchies) So here we have Re-l on her own journey of self awareness, she is learning her place in the world, how to see others, and her interactions will surely change as the journey progresses.

You see timid Vincent become a bit more bold, and you see stubborn Re-l showing emotion, and lowering her guard more than she previously would have. They don't really give us too much backstory on the characters so its easy to just find the characters annoying but consider their society and their standings in the hierarchy and then it becomes evident that Re-l acts that way, not because she is a bitch, but because that has always been her role and position. It may be the wrong way to go about a society, but I think that's what this journey of self-discovery is teaching her.
MaJiC27Nov 24, 2014 2:19 PM
Jul 20, 2015 2:50 AM

Sep 2014
Good episode. I liked how being left by her slave showed the spoiled side of Re-L.

Alvida said:
Captain_GARlock said:
What's with all you idiots calling her Lil? Watch a fansub group who can actually translate and pay attention yourself, her name is displayed on screen several times.

As for me, I watch this anime with dubbing, so I have already got accustemed to call her Lil, though it is wrong.

What are you talking about? The dubbed version calls her Re-L.

Ani-Blast said:
TheDodo said:
I loved that episode. Iggy was awesome, too bad he died. My favorite quote from ergo proxy so far :D :

God, I gave Iggy a standing applause for that line. I'm so glad SOMEONE finally said it.

This is pretty ignorant. I wouldn't call her incompetent. Try to work on your own in a system yourself where everyone tries to surpress you and your work, in a system that has all means for surveillance and control at hand.

MaJiC27 said:
I think a lot of people are finding Re-l annoying because they aren't understanding where she's coming from. She's the daughter of the Reagent. She grew up knowing power and respect. Pretty much nothing in the world could touch her while everyone else had to watch their backs and keep themselves in check.

Vincent is a mere immigrant. Their society is different from what we have in the world right now, immigrants are the low class. (Edit: I guess this isn't necessarily true, I'm saying this from living in the US, but there are developed countries with similar hierarchies) So here we have Re-l on her own journey of self awareness, she is learning her place in the world, how to see others, and her interactions will surely change as the journey progresses.

You see timid Vincent become a bit more bold, and you see stubborn Re-l showing emotion, and lowering her guard more than she previously would have. They don't really give us too much backstory on the characters so its easy to just find the characters annoying but consider their society and their standings in the hierarchy and then it becomes evident that Re-l acts that way, not because she is a bitch, but because that has always been her role and position. It may be the wrong way to go about a society, but I think that's what this journey of self-discovery is teaching her.

I actually like that they don't give us a lot of backstory by showing us flashbacks. It's so overused in anime and is a pretty annoying and bad way to try and make the viewer care about the character. What really counts is what the characters are doing now, what they are thinking now and how they are changing now.
Dec 29, 2015 11:35 AM
Dec 2015
I don't mind Re-l being a "bitch" or whatever, I just hope they start giving her character a LOT more development.
Dec 30, 2015 6:09 PM

Aug 2014
I liked the suspense/thriller in this episode .
Seems like it is getting better .
Jan 23, 2016 6:43 PM

Mar 2011
The whole story is based on a phrase:
Cogito (virus)
Ergo (Proxy)
Sum (thing)
Jan 29, 2016 5:57 PM

Nov 2015
Seeing iggy call out Re-l was cool but I'm also glad he's out of the way now ha. Hopefully after some character development for Re-l we get back to some cool plot stuff
Feb 3, 2016 9:00 PM

Aug 2013
Iggy said what I had to say. Good job Iggy.
But I didn't notice he was infected way back then.
So thrilling to see the timid and badass Vincent switch sides.
Feb 25, 2016 5:18 AM

May 2010
You know I love how Iggy's speech backfired. He said something like "kill the person who might take your raison d'être away from you" (note - he meant Vincent) and it actually got the white-haired girl to make an attempt on killing Re-l (who is his raison de'tre) It was so beautifully tragic. Iggy was a great character, though a bit obsessed at times.
Apr 7, 2016 4:59 AM

Jan 2015
Best episode yet. Everything was very satisfying. Iggy telling off Re L for the bitch she is. His death had a really strong effect, and the ending where Vincent gave the gun back was a heartwarming example of his good and innocent nature.
Apr 16, 2016 12:17 PM

Aug 2012
Everything Iggy said is true and it feels like he said what everyone think of Re-l is. Well I guess the Re-l character development starts now

Jun 1, 2016 11:24 AM
May 2016
Iggy had to die
Iggy, or someone else
Jun 16, 2016 9:31 PM
Jun 2014
Nooo~! Iggy was my favorite character! :(
I was so excited at the end of ep 12, when he showed his first signs of "having a soul"... what went wrong?
Jul 13, 2016 10:54 PM

Sep 2014
Oh man they had to kill off Iggy, one of my favourite characters. I always knew Re-L was a bitch, it's annoying that Vincent had to fall for someone like her. It really sucks that Iggy is dead, I really liked him :(
The afternoon has gently passed me by
The evening spreads its sail against the sky
Waiting for tomorrow
Just another day
God bid yesterday goodbye...
Jul 27, 2016 3:50 PM

Jun 2016
omg Iggy telling Real off was sooo awesome this episode!! ^_^
Jul 28, 2016 12:01 AM

Mar 2014
interesting. rel cant live without somebody helping her small business
Sep 13, 2016 2:57 PM

Mar 2010
RIP iggy. Atfirst i found him a bit crazy but when you think of it.. Lil just simply turned a blind eye on him ignoring his feelings and does whatever pleases her..
Oct 21, 2016 11:56 PM

Jan 2010
Wait.

Wait.

Wait wait wait.

The idea of robots being tasked with singular purposes in their "life" isn't specific to just Ergo Proxy. In fact, real life robotics task robots to perform certain actions, whether if it's a robotic arm moving objects, driverless cars providing transportation, or service robots performing hospitality for tourists. The idea of individuals in a society being born with inherent characteristics to them, making them suitable to perform only one kind of job for the rest of their life. The idea you have one purpose in life, and by failing that purpose you also fail your very existence, particularly everyone would exist as a cog in the greater machine of the nation.

That...that recalls certain ideology which I won't dwell on, as that's quite the scary thought, especially considering the amount of futuristic works I've seen in the past dealing with such issues. I may have to go back and reevaluate them...

Anyways, robots lying. The idea of our own creations being our downfall. The idea of those programmed to always act predictably actually working against us without us knowing. It's a thought that reminds me of things like 2001: A Space Odyssey. Fun stuff.

Those aside, why the heck of an autoreiv designed with the ability to self-destruct? Also, in question Iggy's motives for chasing Re-l, was that supposed to say something about the ability (or inability) for people to understand other people? And lastly, is this supposed to be some thought experiment where the characters are questioning robots whom recently attained sentience, thereby questioning themselves with regards to their own humanities? How would you define humanity in this case? Is it a biological definition? Is it a definition based on cognitive abilities? Are there levels of humanity? Is it a definition that can be changed arbitrarily? Whom decides that definition, and are the rights attached to that definition applicable to everyone underneath the umbrella term? Or, are those rights just privileges that can be given and taken at a moment's notice?

Huh, maybe this anime is finally starting to get to me. How about that.
Nov 12, 2016 12:16 AM
Jul 2018
It's always good to see Re-l punished and sassed, she certainly deserves it. I hope neither Re-l nor Vincent kill each other, but I certainly want to see Vincent push her around some more in his Proxy/semi-Proxy form.
Nov 17, 2016 8:25 PM

Oct 2012
Well technically it's Iggy own fault that he died
If he didn't talk to that Autorave about masters coming back, there won't be any self-destruct thingy

Eh, Re-l deserved that... She's way too, well I don't know
Guess she should make her princess attitude disappear
"Signature removed"
Nov 18, 2016 5:34 AM

Jun 2016
This was an interesting episode. Iggy's inner conflict was touching. And Vincent is really naive to give that gun back to Re-l.
Nov 26, 2016 5:37 PM

Jul 2016
This has been one of my favorite episodes so far in the series. Even though it was evident he already had it, I didn't expect either that Iggy was infected since that time back in Romdeau.

Also, Pino is as cute as ever.

Shocked said:

Anyways, robots lying. The idea of our own creations being our downfall. The idea of those programmed to always act predictably actually working against us without us knowing. It's a thought that reminds me of things like 2001: A Space Odyssey. Fun stuff.

I thought of something similar too. Robots not only lying but more like being completely self aware. Also using the fact that they know people won't even question their supposed automatized nature so they go along with it and fake it to cover up their schemes. Interesting.
Dec 17, 2016 7:59 PM

Jan 2013
Purupururin said:
I don't understand why everyone is calling Re-L a "bitch", this story is set in the future and she used Iggy as the technology she believed he was... we do not treat our computers or cell phones any different, they just serve their function. Her servant robot actually had feelings, resulting in Re-L's remorse and shock at the end of the episode when she realizes she had been treating something with emotion as something without emotion. Imagine if your childhood teddy bear woke up one day and said "I can't believe you threw me around and treated me so horribly", you would never expect that to happen! In reality, us humans are all guilty of exploiting the world for our own benefit.

I thought the way Iggy sacrificed himself despite his pain and feelings of neglect was so gut-wrenching to watch and I found myself crying at that part so badly. I hope Re-L learns to treat Peno in the way that she never learned to treat Iggy. This show is so good :')

Well said.
Sad to see Iggy "die", despite his hatred towards her, he still protected her at the end.
Dec 20, 2016 10:07 AM

Apr 2014
Purupururin said:

MaJiC27 said:

+1 to this and this... so +2? Anyways. I think that these 2 posts really bring out the insight we need here in order to understand Re-L's character. Instead of being turned away from the show because the main character doesn't meet your standards or expectations, look at it as a way of broadening your worldview. We are human and of course there are going to be character flaws--Re-L's is just a little more obvious to the majority of us--but I find that that's what makes this show so good. Instead of creating the stereotypical righteous character, they have planted this snobby, self-important, conflicted girl in front of us to rile us up and really make us question our morality. Sometimes these kinds of people don't really realize that they are a certain way, especially as it is usually shaped by their upbringing and life experiences, so I find Re-L's character development really interesting in this episode.

Shocked said:
is this supposed to be some thought experiment where the characters are questioning robots whom recently attained sentience, thereby questioning themselves with regards to their own humanities?

Some people are mentioning how the cogitive virus are making the autoraves go "mad and crazy" but isn't it really making them more "human"? Despite them being machines, the fact that they are developing emotions is making them more real. So like Shocked said, maybe instead of questioning and ridding of the autoraves, we should be looking to our own humanity. Very interesting to think of it this way!
IIENCIEDec 20, 2016 10:11 AM
Feb 4, 2017 1:21 PM
Oct 2016
I like how in his last words, he called her softly Re-L and then with much anger RE-L MAYAR, and then again softly Re-L.... I think that was a nice touch.
Apr 24, 2017 4:34 AM
Apr 2017
I didn't realize how bitch was Lil, but I cannot justify Iggy so much neither.
I think Cogito is like being a teenager, you get all those feelings so suddenly that you can't handle them very well.

(Lo que quería decir en mi idioma nativo:)
No me había dado cuenta de cuán perra era Lil, pero tampoco puedo justificar tanto a Iggy.
Creo que Cogito es como ser adolescente, te llegan todos esos sentimientos tan de repente que no puedes manejarlos muy bien.
May 16, 2017 12:02 PM

Jun 2013
I really enjoyed this one! I might be a sucker for melodrama, but I think this was also a good way to tie up some loose ends and push Re-l to start thinking about things differently. I would have liked to learn more about the big buff Proxy's companion, but it's reasonable to assume that she was just as single-minded as Iggy; after her ward died the only thing on her mind was revenge. And oh man, did it feel good when Iggy gave Re-l a classic "the reason you suck" speech.

"Iggy would never talk like that." The way we perceive people such as by their speech patterns... to what extent does it define them?

It makes a lot of sense that Iggy eventually turned homicidal. He was basically Re-l's slave; his motivations were focused on her to such an absolute extent that he was never going to be able to walk away. It's really quite tragic that he couldn't find a reason to live for himself. I have to wonder what makes Pino different, what keeps her mentally sound despite being self aware. Like, what her raison d'etre is.

tofei said:
I can't really blame Re-l for being a bitch in this episode (almost all the preceding episodes actually, LOL) since she lived a sheltered and pampered life in the city all her life, that verbal abuse from Iggy is only a slap in the wrist if she doesn't get her act together to survive in the outside world. Character development here comes Re-l! XD

Exactly. Re-l is selfish, arrogant and entitled but I appreciate that the show doesn't forget to call her out on it, and her personality makes sense, given her background. I understand that people don't like her, but I think her character is adequately written. And I believe that, going forward, the events of this episode might have a significant effect on her. She already seemed to treat Pino with a little more respect while the latter was putting flowers on Iggy's grave.

Shocked said:
The idea of individuals in a society being born with inherent characteristics to them, making them suitable to perform only one kind of job for the rest of their life. The idea you have one purpose in life, and by failing that purpose you also fail your very existence, particularly everyone would exist as a cog in the greater machine of the nation.

[...]

And lastly, is this supposed to be some thought experiment where the characters are questioning robots whom recently attained sentience, thereby questioning themselves with regards to their own humanities? How would you define humanity in this case?

Those are some excellent questions. One could argue that humans are just machines too, that their only reason to exist is to survive and keep the species running, with everything else they do (for example, art) being a mere coping mechanism to distract themselves from this idea. This may have already been said in this show already, I'm not sure.
LeeTailorMay 16, 2017 12:21 PM
Jan 19, 2018 8:39 AM

Mar 2012
Fuuuuck not Iggy :( He was such a nice character.

It seems like Pino is special since she's the only one affected by the virus that hasn't gone psycho. Shame it wasn't the same case for Iggy.
Jan 25, 2018 1:21 PM
Apr 2016
The way that Iggy was snapping off on Re-L was too dunny
Mar 11, 2018 6:30 PM

Feb 2013
Iggy went berserk... was infected long ago, but finally snapped.

LOL Pino... reading a book.
Mar 29, 2018 11:04 AM
Dec 2016
Iggy gone Yandere
May 18, 2018 10:23 AM

Jan 2018
Lil is so spoiled.

So Iggy has been infected longer than we realized. Man, he is really intelligent. He knows how the virus works before anyone else. He has an understanding that he will die sooner if he reveals his condition to the humans.
The most disturbing thing is the Autorievs developing the idea of killing. Iggy observed humans killing Autorievs to return to their ideal environment and condition and in turn, Iggy feels the same when his happiness is threatened. The other Autoriev before only fought in self-defence. Since her conversation with Iggy, he implanted the idea of killing to have her happiness return. That's very frightening.
Even more frightening is that we don't know how many Autorievs are hiding their infections like Iggy and are just biding their time to increase their numbers and weaponry to massacre the humans in the dome.

Pino's pouty face. haha

Iggy has such a tragic ending, but all for the sake of Lil's development I guess. We'll see where her path takes her. She's definitely maturing though. I'm betting that something big will happen in a few more episodes after their journey.
BofthreeMay 18, 2018 10:34 AM

Jan 29, 2019 7:53 PM

Mar 2016
Everything happens in twos.
Mar 26, 2019 4:50 AM
Jun 2017
:( Poor Iggy.......
Apr 1, 2019 3:10 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
ooookay so much drama .-.

May 6, 2019 6:19 PM

Jan 2014
Best episode yet, Iggy's death was very powerful, just wish they used better music in that scene

Oct 29, 2019 10:30 AM

Mar 2017
So is it just me, or did Re-L feel like a bumbling idiot in this episode?

She just stands there while Iggy gut-punches her, getting captured without even token resistance. Then she trips while fleeing an infected auto-reiv and kicks at it uselessly from ten feet away.

Iggy: "If only you weren't such a useless bitch!"

"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

"Everything... is connected." -Lain Iwakura

"Life is too short to watch bad anime. Long Live the 1st Episode Drop." -InkSpider

"Anime fans make me embarrassed to be an anime fan." -InkSpider
Apr 25, 2020 5:57 AM

Mar 2020
my boy deserved better than this smh at least he finally snapped on her annoying ass
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Dec 17, 2020 10:11 AM
Jul 2020
Um really glad with Iggy, serves her right!
Jan 9, 2021 11:22 AM
Mar 2018
definitely agree with the prior comments that Re-L's spoilt personality is justified (to an extent) when you consider her background and societal standing.

it's easier to judge others, as ever, without wearing their shoes.
Apr 1, 2021 3:18 PM

May 2017
SOLID episode. iggy's character was quite fascinating in this episode. last 2 episodes haven been really good where the episodes before that kinda felt weaker compared to the earlier episodes. I hope it continues this good.
Jun 7, 2021 4:54 PM

Mar 2018
I really enjoy the way this show is handling sentience, the conversation with Pino at the end was a really nice touch with her mentioning that knowing what sadness is doesn't make her unhappy.

One can conclude this is the case because once you know what sadness is, you cherish happiness more.
Jun 24, 2021 11:58 PM

Jul 2009
Definitely the best episode so far!

I kinda knew Iggy was already infected by the virus. It just seems a bit weird on how he was acting more and more on his own.

This is probably the episode that will start Re-L to change for the better or worse.

While she does come from a place where she has everything she wants and is spoon fed to her. Eventually she will have to learn to adapt on her own.

She even complains how She needed Iggy to do her hair early in this episode, until she found Vincent can do her Hair as well.

LOL Pino just reading the book XD

It was weird seeing Iggy curse and shout at Re-L as he die. Keeps switching to his alter ego, but in the end. All he wanted is to be with Re-L.

They did ramp up the animation here! Vincent actually looks cool when he had a face to face with Iggy.

It is what it is. I'm sure Re-L will slowly understand that Auto-Reiv's may truly develop their own soul. Even with the Cogito Virus.
Jul 27, 2021 11:50 AM
Apr 2018
The only wildcards were the bots. Losiny Iggy took away my raison de regarder :p
Oct 1, 2021 10:30 AM
Nov 2020
Love him or hate him iggy was spitting straight facts about Re-l.
Nov 19, 2021 4:52 PM
Jul 2018
I loved the fact Iggy said a few good ones to Re-L (LOL ♡) And that final scene when Vincent gives her back 'his gun', certifying his feelings to her again, which may someway be similar to Iggy's? High sexual connotation in there too! (/// ̄  ̄///)
Anyway, hoping Re-L has a good development as a character...
Jan 21, 2022 8:20 PM

May 2019
Damn, the good characters keep dying, and the bitch and the simp remain.

please God of Plot, protect Pino, please
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

xel - May 31, 2008

93 by LonewolfNBU »»
Apr 12, 10:55 AM

Poll: » Why do people seem to not like Ergo Proxy?

TheGuiltMan - Nov 28, 2020

41 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 30, 12:12 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

78 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

71 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 12:23 AM

» Ergo Proxy Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Aokaado - Dec 27, 2006

236 by llamav »»
Mar 18, 12:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.