Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 7, 2012 9:07 PM

Apr 2012
Even more things came together in this episode - I had wondered what seeing the bearded version of Watashi back in the 5th episode had meant and now I have my answer. The story of this series has been well put together and these explanations of the various little phenomena that we have seen are clever. I have high hopes for the conclusion.
Sep 21, 2012 7:16 AM

Sep 2008
This episode was really amazing! They managed to explain the true meaning of the title plus those strange moments from the previous episodes were mainly explained here.

I wonder how the series will end. So far it is simply amazing.
Nov 28, 2012 9:03 PM

Mar 2012
Mind blown.
Jul 6, 2013 4:28 PM

May 2012
Well this was pretty amazing, nice packed together and that ending sure made up some loose ends! Lets see what the last episode has to offer!
Jul 19, 2013 6:01 PM

Jul 2009
amazing stuff :D

so that's why in the OP it has endless Tatami no matter where you go? :P

tbh i kinda fell asleep in some of the parts, not because it was boring, but because i marathon this in the summer and it's fucking hot as hell it makes you dizzy.

you can't really marathon a series like this it seems.

i actually thought it was Akashi who gave Watashi the Castella cake, but it wouldn't make any sense anyways :

so that's how the other "Watashi" got the large sum of money from :P

and wow i didn't think that that "Johnny" appearing and cycling around is meant to be a representation of him masturbating to kill time!

it would be funny if the tatami rooms where created because of "Watashi" paying the fortune teller money everytime they met XD

also no mentioned of Akashi :(

i'm starting to think that he may not pull through in the last episode :(

and wow he really grew a beard over the months or years?

i actually don't mind the live action sequences, guess they wanted a more realistic setting to prove a point.

and wow last episode :(

i wonder what will be the finale? Ozu is just a imagination of Watashi? what about the missing white Mochiguman?

the scene where he saw himself in the Healthy Pill arc is basically was his last chance to escape the "Tatami Galaxy" and he blew it.

man what an amazing series!! finale should be interesting :)
Sep 29, 2013 6:01 AM
Aug 2011
This was....BRILLIANT.

Shame that I found out each "hidden" detail 10 seconds before they revealed them. Wonderful.

By the way, one of those rooms actually had "rose-color".

I, from the beginning, thought that Ozu is actually a youkai along with master and the fortuneteller.
Dec 2, 2013 2:32 AM

Apr 2013
Easily one of the best episodes holy crap. Everything makes sense!
Powerful eyebrows.
Dec 13, 2013 8:24 AM

Dec 2012
Beautiful use of color in this episode
Mar 20, 2014 2:28 PM

Jul 2009
No fortune lady charge this time xD
Apr 30, 2014 10:42 AM

Oct 2012
AWESOME.

I think that both Terayama and Kafka would like this ;)

Sep 11, 2014 7:26 PM

Mar 2013
Very emotional episode. Beautiful Culmination of the previous episodes into the now established Tatami Galaxy.

The NHK like solitude and despair really hit home with me. Definitely a worthy successor, and I've come to the conclusion a few episodes ago that this was with a certainty a 10/10 show. Even if the last episode was paint drying I still think the strength of the previous 10 episodes would merit the 10 rating.
SlickDFeb 18, 2015 10:03 PM
Nov 10, 2014 11:44 PM

Jul 2011
This episode made me kind of sad. Believe it or not I can kind of relate to the main character, and ive been in similar situations as him but I feel like I fail each time and waste my years. Anyways, enough of that shit.

This episode was great. So much was learned here, especially that there is a whole universe of tatami mat rooms.

10/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 19, 2014 12:49 PM

Oct 2013
10/10
Jan 11, 2015 12:56 AM

Dec 2012
This episode is where everything clicked in place and I had a huge smile plastered on my face as it kept up the revelations. This is definitely a brilliant turn out and the title of the show is now more fitting than ever. The way that this episode connected everything else was well thought out and very satisfying, like a huge pay off from a hard day's work. I got a huge kick out of how they tied together Watashi's 100,000 yen collection to the backpack that he finds randomly placed in his room for that scrubber. Also when he tries to communicate with the Watashi that was neck deep in the pyramid scheme, that was hilarious. There's so many more examples and I might have to revisit a few of these episodes to take it all in later on.

On a thematic level, this episode has to be my favorite. I really like when Watashi mentions how each room has a color that gives it its own identity despite never obtaining the "rose colored raven haired maiden life" in any of them. It really adds onto what Higuchi said in the previous episode about how there really is no such thing and that life is what you make of the experiences before you.

It was also slightly depressing how much I could relate to Watashi's blight of having too much free time. That was like a giant kick in the nuts, reminding me of how uneventful life in my room was once upon a time.

And also just a huge LOL @ how they used Johnny for that sexual symbolism. With him on the wheel all exhausted, sadly that too was something I could touch base on.
Jan 24, 2015 1:31 AM

May 2013
Holy fuck what revelation. So good man.
*insert cringey anime reference here*
Feb 18, 2015 1:01 PM

Mar 2014
This episode was incredible. It expands on the story, and does it in such an elegant way. Really impressive stuff.
::End of Transmission::

Mar 10, 2015 4:31 AM

Dec 2013
Absolutely loved this episode. So many lose ends coming together.

Although I was missing all of the other characters :(

Definitely looking forward to the finale.
Mar 29, 2015 12:48 AM

Nov 2014
Love this alternative universes.

Mar 29, 2015 12:53 AM

Feb 2015
The Watashi that uncovers these parallel dimensions is the only one that experiences the character development he wanted all along :c
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Apr 2, 2015 7:30 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I'm sure, i didn't even get half of this episode. But it seems like he only wanted his life to be rose-coloured, everything in perfection, not the slightest mistakes. But nothing like that exists and he probably realised this in this episode. He ruined everything himself.
Apr 2, 2015 3:52 PM

May 2012
this legit just made me question how good every other anime ive ever seen is....... that answered almost every question i had in one episode in a way that actually made sense and followed the plotline up till now, and it also ties everything up, god... i need to see this finale now.... and theres so many possible theories you could come up with this and the amount of possible symbolism and everything..... wow....
Apr 16, 2015 10:35 AM

Mar 2013
This episode was my favorite so far. Everything looked gorgeous, too (:
May 5, 2015 2:21 AM
Nov 2014
Damn....such a great usage of the parallel universes. Such a brilliant episode all around, dat beard on him though.
May 11, 2015 3:40 PM

Feb 2015
Another amazing episode, the op makes sense now as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 13, 2015 6:01 AM
May 2012
Fucking nice, like really.
Damn.
Jul 2, 2015 10:32 AM

Aug 2014
Wow, this episode was veryyyy deep
I think that it was trying to show his inner loneliness and what life would have been like for him if he rejected everyone and only kept to himself, like a hikikomori. The constant cake eating which was meant for two people, by himself, he was trying to fill the void of having nobody else around him. This was another one of the alternate realities where he doesn't go out and meet people and make friends.
Jul 30, 2015 2:18 AM
Oct 2013
the 9 separated episode before, combined together in this episode, and many mystery in the episode before, have been revealed and become make a sense now.

Great anime so far, and I'll be watching the final episode. ^_^

Aug 15, 2015 6:02 PM

Mar 2012
Only one episode left, I wonder how it's going to end :o
Sep 7, 2015 12:27 PM

Sep 2014
So it is close to my assumption after ep4 after all. :) This episode was downright depressing for me (they could have broadened the Kafka reference to all of his works for the depressing atmosphere...), brilliantly done.
Now Akashi and Ozu will probably play a huge role in the last episode, settling him in one, hopefully not that depressing tatami room.
Oct 20, 2015 11:01 PM

Jun 2012
Interesting, glad it's wrapping up nicely.

Oct 22, 2015 3:43 PM

Nov 2009
Wow, this episode was so aesthetically pleasing. Best episode until now, and I love when characters are aware of alternative universes and things like that.

(THIS WAY FOREVER)
Oct 23, 2015 8:54 PM

Nov 2012
So is this why the series is called The Tatami Galaxy? Watashi is just one of the many tatamis. Finally an episode where Watashi doesn't get his money taken away from the old lady.
ShigureOct 23, 2015 9:05 PM
Nov 23, 2015 4:31 PM

Aug 2014
Great episode , loved how it connects with the previous episodes
Dec 4, 2015 4:18 PM
Feb 2015
Awesome episode, the explanations was pretty good and I loved how you can see him impact the life of his other selves ( like when he left the money bag )
Jan 16, 2016 1:45 AM

Aug 2014
Okay so that explains it all. Poor Johnny at the end though.
sup
Jan 17, 2016 10:45 PM

Jul 2013
Wow... just wow. My jaw is on the floor right now, what the hell is this. I've never seen something like this before, the creativity of this series is off the chart.

I wonder if there is any other series that can be artistic and creative as this, it brought wonders to my eyes.
Aug 18, 2016 5:39 AM

Jul 2008
Okay now we are talking, this was the most brilliant episode yet.

Some things are now making sense but how will it end?
Dec 25, 2016 6:10 PM

Feb 2016
Fantastic episode and the only thing that can beat that is probably the final episode. Let's see.
Feb 4, 2017 5:02 AM

Oct 2012

Everything is connected
The money, the invisible beard-man
It all make sense now
"Signature removed"
Jan 9, 2018 7:03 PM

Jul 2017
So, theres a version of himself that lives in this 4.5 Tatami floor thing which has endless room based on the choices the he makes in his alternate universe thing where he can see what the other do like god, like how he give him 100,000 yen to himself that one time to buy the brush along with seeing him come out of the wall that one time some eps ago. I think I get it but wtf is going on
May 12, 2018 4:29 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
I m still dont feel like this episode deserved all the praise on many of the comments, it was the better one so far, but alot of stuff are just too hard to process like that.
And even with this revelation that last episodes were all alternative worlds this dude could see from his Tatami room, so what?
If anything I want to praise the artsyle more than the plot. I do understand the message this writter was trying to pass, but there are way more effective ways of transmiting it to the viewer than this whole clusterfuck of 9 episodes before.

It is stylish in a way, but I do think ep11 will be the decisive factor for me cuz right now, this is just a good anime.
May 13, 2018 8:11 PM

Jul 2012
We're near the end... And it still doesn't really make full sense but... I'm looking forward to the finale.

I understand the concept of it, but where will it lead to?
Aug 8, 2018 3:34 AM

May 2016
It looked very much like a rollercoaster of emotion he's been going through while he was cooped up in his room doing nothing. He initially embraced the shut-in lifestyle but eventually got bored enough to try to improve himself and try new things. That didn't work out and as a result, he neglected the his living conditions and felt depraved of human interaction, trying to find company within the confines of his 4.5 tatami room.

He's trying to get out of the loop he created for himself once again but he experienced the true nature of the power of the 4.5 Tatami Galaxy and saw many of his "failed" timelines with the difference between each room varying from the choices he made in that timeline. He might've considered these timelines failures but he definitely noticed that there were color to all of these rooms compared to the drab dark space he's living in. Seeing the interactions he had with the many people he befriended throughout the show made him feel that he was missing out.

It might not exactly be rose-colored, but he knows that it's better to have any color in his campus life than none at all.

Jan 19, 2019 12:03 AM

May 2015
This was just brilliant.
May 17, 2019 6:34 PM

Dec 2018
EACH EPISODE HAD ITS OWN COLOR & I DIDNT EVEN REALIZE

I really felt the excerpt about none being rose-colored but all of them being beautiful.
Jun 17, 2019 6:16 PM

Jul 2014
Damn, this was an absolutely brilliant episode.
Aug 28, 2019 7:54 PM

Aug 2017
This episode was a bit creepy. I don't like to go outside much but I'd go crazy if this will happen to me.

The identical rooms changing colors in the Opening = episode 10.

It's simply mind-blowing to see how everything's finally coming together.

5/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 15, 2019 8:02 AM

May 2018
An episode about realization, this explains why there are a sudden head on the wall at the bee religion episode. I loved this episode, they used the 4.5 tatami room as an example for every route he takes on the previous episodes, a never ending mistakes. I don't know how to feel about this, but this really felt lonely and sad, everything doesn't go on what he wanted and he always ended up being in a wrong choice. Lets see how will they will finish this anime up.

Nov 9, 2019 12:53 PM

Mar 2016
Ah, so finally Watashi has reached the Tatami Galaxy... A dimension where the 4.5 tatami rooms he lives in are placed on all side and stretches out endlessly... Although each room looked similar to his, and it's still his, it's the representation of the rooms of the various, infinite possibilities he has thought up, and that's when he realized. [b]Although none of the 4.5 tatami rooms seems to be rose-coloured, each has its own distinct colour. That's huge character development for someone who endlessly chases for the rose-coloured life he always wished to have.

The fact that Watashi who have taken pride in living in a 4.5 tatami room and yet felt as if he wanted to escape this galaxy as he's getting sick of it pretty much signifies that; no matter how many time he thought up of yet another new possibilities in his head to attain that rose-coloured life he so desire, he would one day sure be sick and tired of being stuck in a perpetual state of mind, just imagining a possibility instead of living through one, despite it never being the ideal life he wanted to live.

This ep connected to the ep about the Honokawa company cult ep. I know for sure that he's stuck in the Endlessness of the possibilities he had, but I guess his possibilities that he had thought up are an independent parallel universe on itself too huh. That makes sense why the bearded (beard actually looks good on him) version of Watashi are able to interact with the Watashi from the Hinikawa cult possibility. All of this made sense now. If there were infinite numbers of parallel worlds, each with their own distinct differences, then that means whatever possibilities he thought up, each of Watashi's possibilities would be a reality in another parallel world. We've been going through the viewpoint of different Watashi who have taken a different turn at life!

All of this means that the original Watashi (the bearded one that's stuck in the tatami galaxy) is a Watashi that have chosen to waste his university life away within hi 4.5 tatami room. A possibility that is arguably worse than any other possibilities shown in the previous eps as he pretty much isolates himself alone. Even from Ozu...

Mind Blown This made the ED even more enchanting to hear!
Feb 3, 2020 6:22 PM
Dec 2019
So, about the movie that he references his situation being similar to. Is it Cube? it's the only one like that I can think of, but it wasn't all that good and I can't imagine enough people saw it for it to reach japan...
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

garfield15 - Jun 10, 2010

92 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Apr 12, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

controlmajortom - May 6, 2010

127 by blinddig »»
Apr 10, 2:32 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - May 27, 2010

151 by MalcomHater »»
Mar 23, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

born2badored - May 13, 2010

91 by haydnwright »»
Feb 1, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ESSWHY - Apr 22, 2010

331 by danger-_- »»
Oct 10, 2023 10:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.