MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Katekyo Hitman Reborn == Sexist?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Katekyo Hitman Reborn! »» Katekyo Hitman Reborn == Sexist?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
06-23-10, 5:44 AM

I watched the anime because a friend recommended it to me. I agree that it is quite good but there is one thing that caught my attention.

When I started watching it I noticed that the girls didn't have those enormous breasts that is so common in most series, I was actually glad about this fact since big boobs in animes is getting REEEEEALY old.

However the more of the anime I watched the more I became aware of how every girl in the serie (except for Lal Milch and perhaps Hana) are either in the kitchen or taking care of the babies or other house chores and that all of the girls are weak.

It doesn't really bother me that much but
When it's been seen it cannot be UN-seen.

Discuss.

06-23-10, 5:48 AM

I actually didn't realize, but a friend pointed it out and yeah, it's true. The girls are all basically assigned to just do trivial stuff like kitchenwork and are pushed to the background like they're of no importance.

06-23-10, 6:13 AM

It is sexist - one of the things that pushed me off from giving Reborn a 10.

I'm a guy so normally I wouldn't care, but I do care actually. I mean women can do other things than cooking and cleaning. Also the other girls are pretty much weak as well - they have to protect Uni, Chrome cannot fight without the help of others and Lal got defeated in the first battle in Shoichi's base and she barely moved since then.

It amazes me though how the manga is written and drawn by a woman. Even Bleach has better female characters...
Modified by shadowsword, 06-23-10, 6:16 AM

06-23-10, 6:17 AM

Written by a female being a sexist to females?

...Cool.

06-23-10, 6:44 AM

Moved to series discussion.

It's like any other shounen series, really. Female characters generally take a back seat.

06-23-10, 7:58 AM

Females that fight or has fighting capabilities:

Bianch
M.M
Daniela
I-Pin(15 years old version)
Uni
Bluebell
Iris
Lal
Oregano
chrome
Aria
Suzuki, Adelheid

see females in this manga get a shot too.

http://jedikieth.mybrute.com/ -Fight MyBrute! Be my Pupil!

06-23-10, 10:30 AM

I'm with RKC. Even if the female cast doesn't get a major role, it IS there. But I'm kinda hoping that Amano will introduce more female characters in the future....I kinda like their designs xD

06-23-10, 1:57 PM

RKC said:
Females that fight or has fighting capabilities:

Bianch
M.M
Daniela
I-Pin(15 years old version)
Uni
Bluebell
Iris
Lal
Oregano
chrome
Aria
Suzuki, Adelheid

see females in this manga get a shot too.

I only watch the anime so I wouldn't really know about that BUT.

Bianchi - Sure she fights but she is really weak.
I-Pin - She has only fought regular humans and weak zombies so far.
Uni - Haven't fought at all yet.
Lal - "Lost" the only fight she fought so far (to an enemy which Tsuna defeated with one blow)
Chrome - She had to be saved by Mukuro in every fight so far.

And the rest of them are antagonists.

06-23-10, 5:03 PM

come on... even the mangaka is a women! mafia is an male thing I guess.

06-24-10, 11:47 AM

Chrome is not weak. She isnt being saved my Mukuro. She is Mukuro pretty much. Other than her though I agree.

Bleach is just as bad. I am really behind on it right now. But the two major arcs have been about saving the two main female characters.

06-24-10, 12:53 PM

Not as sexist as Naruto though XD

08-30-10, 11:30 AM

I think the mangaka just really likes her male characters is all xD Probably not trying to be sexist.

12-21-10, 10:28 AM

NinthJake said:
Bianchi - Sure she fights but she is really weak.
I-Pin - She has only fought regular humans and weak zombies so far.
Uni - Haven't fought at all yet.
Lal - "Lost" the only fight she fought so far (to an enemy which Tsuna defeated with one blow)
Chrome - She had to be saved by Mukuro in every fight so far.
And the rest of them are antagonists.

This is the reason after 175ish episodes I gave up... I really want to finish, because the writing is pretty funny and I enjoy the male characters and I'm so close to the end... but I just can't relate anymore! I keep hoping the girls will take it up a notch without always falling back on a man to help out, but no.

I don't think the mangaka is specifically trying to be sexist - it justs highlights a much more typical role for women in Japanese society. Many other countries are ages ahead in that arena. I'm not so much offended by every single weak female character - it just makes me roll my eyes all the time and I have been known to scream at the screen "REALLY!?!?!? YOU'RE GOING TO THE KITCHEN!?!?!?! AGAIN!?!?!?" hahah. Bianchi's main battle is POISONED FOOD!?!?!? Even her battle starts in the kitchen! It can be a little ridiculous when you start noticing it all.

I remember reading about The Bechdel Test to determine how well a book, movie, or tv show portrays female characters. The rules are:

1. It has to have at least two women in it
2. who talk to each other
3. about something besides a man

...cooking for a man, cleaning for a man, being there for a man, fighting for a man, owing her life to a man. I love your standard cheesy rom-com anime where girls gush nonstop about their crushes, but I can't handle it when all the men are out trying to save the world and the most the main female characters can contribute to the battle are snacks and laundry services. SNACKS!?!?!

Ok, and that's the end of my fem-rant.

12-29-10, 12:00 PM

I got to say, Hitman Reborn wasn't really my thing from the beginning (those bullets was ridiculous and those babies really turn me off) I actually gave it a glance when it first came out and I was like this weird alien-looking baby is his tutor???
Anyway after it got popular I gave it another chance and it was alright but like you guys I realized something that I couldn't unsee.

Even ignoring Kyoko and Haru, what they did to I-Pin (seriously just because she can "fight" doesn't mean it can excuse what they did to that little martial arts artist) super annoyed me.
And Chrome, the single female Vongola member, has Mukuro do all the real fighting for her. Gah!

Compared to other series:
1) Bleach's big-breasted ladies are better than the sorry excuses of female characters here.

2) One Piece may have Nami resort to fighting other females most of the time, but she actually fights her own battles. They have Robin too, who's pretty cool.

3) Negima manga has seriously large amount of fanservice, but I'd take the half-stripped girls with cat ears on if I can see the independent, likable female characters that Negima has.

Actually, I don't care if the character doesn't fight, but you don't have them super oblivious and so stereotypically feminine:

4) Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood/Manga. This series actually has one of the best female characters ever and is what you think you'd get from a woman mangaka. (shame on you Amano) Winry doesn't fight, and she works as the emotional support for the heroes, but she is strong (I don't mean physically) and I love her. She may be in the traditional female role in a story, but her character definitely isn't.

..And I don't have to say anything about all the other super awesome female characters in FMA.

I really dislike Hitman Reborn, and while this sexism played a big part, I just can't get used to the weird looking babies and don't find the characters' antics funny. Bianchi's poison food was funny like once and that one Mafia boss who's useless unless around his subordinates...eh. Watching Tsuna train and train is eh. The whole going into future is eh.
It's too bad because mafia related things are just plain cool, and wished more anime would do it (Baccano and Gungrave are the only ones I know that feature mafia prominently) but this isn't it.

Hitman Reborn has a huge Yaoi following and part of the reason is probably because there are so little female characters that make any splash in the story and get in the way of hot yaoi love. Kyoko and Haru are hated of course, but they're easy to ignore... Amano probably knows this..and since she's a woman, female characters don't even serve as eye candy.

01-03-11, 1:54 PM

well probably there are NO real life Mafia women out there , they're just pointing out the Italian mafia life still ....check out the Sopranos drama lol , all the women there are either in the kitchen or strippers :p

01-03-11, 8:38 PM

Painaholic said:
well probably there are NO real life Mafia women out there , they're just pointing out the Italian mafia life still ....check out the Sopranos drama lol , all the women there are either in the kitchen or strippers :p

Hey hey, this is fantasy after all. No excuse. :P

I-Pin isn't even in the mafia I think...and she was one of the biggest offenders for me.

To be honest, I actually wouldn't have cared if there were no female members in Vongola family, but it does and my goodness, it makes the difference.
Modified by CookieBun, 01-03-11, 8:56 PM

01-03-11, 10:39 PM

freakman012 said:
Chrome is not weak. She isnt being saved my Mukuro. She is Mukuro pretty much. Other than her though I agree.

That is total BS. Chrome isn't being saved by Mukuro? What anime are you watching? It's definitely not KHR

01-10-11, 8:19 AM

I never found this series very sexist. Compared to a lot of other series full of air headed, big boobed, bimbo characters I found reborn kinda refreshing. Yes the female characters take a supporting role but I wouldn't say they are all weak or useless. For example Bianchi in my opinion is rather strong after all she was assigned to help Gokudera learn to use his box weapon in the future and was holding her own nicely against him. Also Lal was held her own as well during the future arc.

I think the importance of the girl cast is more so to maintain a little realism and to push the plot when needed. If not for the girls it would be just an series with fight after fight after fight with little story. The girls allow for the plot to expand beyond just the battles.

As for the huge Yaoi following someone mentioned earlier I think you get that with any series that has a large girl audience (annoying as it may be).

01-20-11, 4:15 PM

Painaholic said:

Google Maria Licciardi and Erminia Giuliano... not that they're better role models than the ladies in the Sopranos, but still hahah.

07-04-11, 11:12 PM

Surprised no one mentioned the men. In the future arc, Haru and Kyoko stopped cleaning and cooking, so the guys ended up doing it instead. Which they had a hard time, and all they ate were cup noodles. Also when Futa was cooking, you see that he burned the food.But I still love KHR :D
Modified by Aplejaxs, 07-04-11, 11:17 PM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices