Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 23, 2010 5:44 AM

Sep 2009
I watched the anime because a friend recommended it to me. I agree that it is quite good but there is one thing that caught my attention.

When I started watching it I noticed that the girls didn't have those enormous breasts that is so common in most series, I was actually glad about this fact since big boobs in animes is getting REEEEEALY old.

However the more of the anime I watched the more I became aware of how every girl in the serie (except for Lal Milch and perhaps Hana) are either in the kitchen or taking care of the babies or other house chores and that all of the girls are weak.

It doesn't really bother me that much but
When it's been seen it cannot be UN-seen.

Discuss.

Jun 23, 2010 5:48 AM

Mar 2009
I actually didn't realize, but a friend pointed it out and yeah, it's true. The girls are all basically assigned to just do trivial stuff like kitchenwork and are pushed to the background like they're of no importance.
Jun 23, 2010 6:13 AM

Oct 2008
It is sexist - one of the things that pushed me off from giving Reborn a 10.

I'm a guy so normally I wouldn't care, but I do care actually. I mean women can do other things than cooking and cleaning. Also the other girls are pretty much weak as well - they have to protect Uni, Chrome cannot fight without the help of others and Lal got defeated in the first battle in Shoichi's base and she barely moved since then.

It amazes me though how the manga is written and drawn by a woman. Even Bleach has better female characters...
shadowswordJun 23, 2010 6:16 AM
Jun 23, 2010 6:17 AM

Jun 2008
Written by a female being a sexist to females?

...Cool.
Jun 23, 2010 6:44 AM

Nov 2007
Moved to series discussion.

It's like any other shounen series, really. Female characters generally take a back seat.
Jun 23, 2010 7:58 AM

Aug 2009
Females that fight or has fighting capabilities:

Bianch
M.M
Daniela
I-Pin(15 years old version)
Uni
Bluebell
Iris
Lal
Oregano
chrome
Aria
Suzuki, Adelheid

see females in this manga get a shot too.

http://jedikieth.mybrute.com/ -Fight MyBrute! Be my Pupil!
Jun 23, 2010 10:30 AM

Feb 2008
I'm with RKC. Even if the female cast doesn't get a major role, it IS there. But I'm kinda hoping that Amano will introduce more female characters in the future....I kinda like their designs xD

Jun 23, 2010 1:57 PM

Sep 2009
RKC said:
Females that fight or has fighting capabilities:

Bianch
M.M
Daniela
I-Pin(15 years old version)
Uni
Bluebell
Iris
Lal
Oregano
chrome
Aria
Suzuki, Adelheid

see females in this manga get a shot too.

I only watch the anime so I wouldn't really know about that BUT.

Bianchi - Sure she fights but she is really weak.
I-Pin - She has only fought regular humans and weak zombies so far.
Uni - Haven't fought at all yet.
Lal - "Lost" the only fight she fought so far (to an enemy which Tsuna defeated with one blow)
Chrome - She had to be saved by Mukuro in every fight so far.

And the rest of them are antagonists.
Jun 23, 2010 5:03 PM

Apr 2010
come on... even the mangaka is a women! mafia is an male thing I guess.
Jun 24, 2010 11:47 AM

May 2008
Chrome is not weak. She isnt being saved my Mukuro. She is Mukuro pretty much. Other than her though I agree.

Bleach is just as bad. I am really behind on it right now. But the two major arcs have been about saving the two main female characters.
Jun 24, 2010 12:53 PM

Jul 2009
Not as sexist as Naruto though XD
Aug 30, 2010 11:30 AM

Jul 2010
I think the mangaka just really likes her male characters is all xD Probably not trying to be sexist.
Dec 21, 2010 10:28 AM

Jun 2008
NinthJake said:
Bianchi - Sure she fights but she is really weak.
I-Pin - She has only fought regular humans and weak zombies so far.
Uni - Haven't fought at all yet.
Lal - "Lost" the only fight she fought so far (to an enemy which Tsuna defeated with one blow)
Chrome - She had to be saved by Mukuro in every fight so far.
And the rest of them are antagonists.

This is the reason after 175ish episodes I gave up... I really want to finish, because the writing is pretty funny and I enjoy the male characters and I'm so close to the end... but I just can't relate anymore! I keep hoping the girls will take it up a notch without always falling back on a man to help out, but no.

I don't think the mangaka is specifically trying to be sexist - it justs highlights a much more typical role for women in Japanese society. Many other countries are ages ahead in that arena. I'm not so much offended by every single weak female character - it just makes me roll my eyes all the time and I have been known to scream at the screen "REALLY!?!?!? YOU'RE GOING TO THE KITCHEN!?!?!?! AGAIN!?!?!?" hahah. Bianchi's main battle is POISONED FOOD!?!?!? Even her battle starts in the kitchen! It can be a little ridiculous when you start noticing it all.

I remember reading about The Bechdel Test to determine how well a book, movie, or tv show portrays female characters. The rules are:

1. It has to have at least two women in it
2. who talk to each other
3. about something besides a man

...cooking for a man, cleaning for a man, being there for a man, fighting for a man, owing her life to a man. I love your standard cheesy rom-com anime where girls gush nonstop about their crushes, but I can't handle it when all the men are out trying to save the world and the most the main female characters can contribute to the battle are snacks and laundry services. SNACKS!?!?!

Ok, and that's the end of my fem-rant.
Dec 29, 2010 12:00 PM

Nov 2007
I got to say, Hitman Reborn wasn't really my thing from the beginning (those bullets was ridiculous and those babies really turn me off) I actually gave it a glance when it first came out and I was like this weird alien-looking baby is his tutor???
Anyway after it got popular I gave it another chance and it was alright but like you guys I realized something that I couldn't unsee.

Even ignoring Kyoko and Haru, what they did to I-Pin (seriously just because she can "fight" doesn't mean it can excuse what they did to that little martial arts artist) super annoyed me.
And Chrome, the single female Vongola member, has Mukuro do all the real fighting for her. Gah!

Compared to other series:
1) Bleach's big-breasted ladies are better than the sorry excuses of female characters here.

2) One Piece may have Nami resort to fighting other females most of the time, but she actually fights her own battles. They have Robin too, who's pretty cool.

3) Negima manga has seriously large amount of fanservice, but I'd take the half-stripped girls with cat ears on if I can see the independent, likable female characters that Negima has.

Actually, I don't care if the character doesn't fight, but you don't have them super oblivious and so stereotypically feminine:

4) Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood/Manga. This series actually has one of the best female characters ever and is what you think you'd get from a woman mangaka. (shame on you Amano) Winry doesn't fight, and she works as the emotional support for the heroes, but she is strong (I don't mean physically) and I love her. She may be in the traditional female role in a story, but her character definitely isn't.

..And I don't have to say anything about all the other super awesome female characters in FMA.

I really dislike Hitman Reborn, and while this sexism played a big part, I just can't get used to the weird looking babies and don't find the characters' antics funny. Bianchi's poison food was funny like once and that one Mafia boss who's useless unless around his subordinates...eh. Watching Tsuna train and train is eh. The whole going into future is eh.
It's too bad because mafia related things are just plain cool, and wished more anime would do it (Baccano and Gungrave are the only ones I know that feature mafia prominently) but this isn't it.

Hitman Reborn has a huge Yaoi following and part of the reason is probably because there are so little female characters that make any splash in the story and get in the way of hot yaoi love. Kyoko and Haru are hated of course, but they're easy to ignore... Amano probably knows this..and since she's a woman, female characters don't even serve as eye candy.
Jan 3, 2011 1:54 PM

Oct 2007
well probably there are NO real life Mafia women out there , they're just pointing out the Italian mafia life still ....check out the Sopranos drama lol , all the women there are either in the kitchen or strippers :p
Jan 3, 2011 8:38 PM

Nov 2007
Painaholic said:
well probably there are NO real life Mafia women out there , they're just pointing out the Italian mafia life still ....check out the Sopranos drama lol , all the women there are either in the kitchen or strippers :p

Hey hey, this is fantasy after all. No excuse. :P

I-Pin isn't even in the mafia I think...and she was one of the biggest offenders for me.

To be honest, I actually wouldn't have cared if there were no female members in Vongola family, but it does and my goodness, it makes the difference.
CookieBunJan 3, 2011 8:56 PM
Jan 3, 2011 10:39 PM

Aug 2010
freakman012 said:
Chrome is not weak. She isnt being saved my Mukuro. She is Mukuro pretty much. Other than her though I agree.

That is total BS. Chrome isn't being saved by Mukuro? What anime are you watching? It's definitely not KHR
Jan 10, 2011 8:19 AM

Jan 2008
I never found this series very sexist. Compared to a lot of other series full of air headed, big boobed, bimbo characters I found reborn kinda refreshing. Yes the female characters take a supporting role but I wouldn't say they are all weak or useless. For example Bianchi in my opinion is rather strong after all she was assigned to help Gokudera learn to use his box weapon in the future and was holding her own nicely against him. Also Lal was held her own as well during the future arc.

I think the importance of the girl cast is more so to maintain a little realism and to push the plot when needed. If not for the girls it would be just an series with fight after fight after fight with little story. The girls allow for the plot to expand beyond just the battles.

As for the huge Yaoi following someone mentioned earlier I think you get that with any series that has a large girl audience (annoying as it may be).
Jan 20, 2011 4:15 PM

Jun 2008
Painaholic said:

Google Maria Licciardi and Erminia Giuliano... not that they're better role models than the ladies in the Sopranos, but still hahah.
Jul 4, 2011 11:12 PM

Jun 2011
Surprised no one mentioned the men. In the future arc, Haru and Kyoko stopped cleaning and cooking, so the guys ended up doing it instead. Which they had a hard time, and all they ate were cup noodles. Also when Futa was cooking, you see that he burned the food.But I still love KHR :D
AplejaxsJul 4, 2011 11:17 PM
Jul 5, 2011 9:47 AM
Apr 2010
It's from Japan....nuff said
Jul 6, 2011 6:17 AM
Jul 2010
NinthJake said:
I watched the anime because a friend recommended it to me. I agree that it is quite good but there is one thing that caught my attention.

When I started watching it I noticed that the girls didn't have those enormous breasts that is so common in most series, I was actually glad about this fact since big boobs in animes is getting REEEEEALY old.

However the more of the anime I watched the more I became aware of how every girl in the serie (except for Lal Milch and perhaps Hana) are either in the kitchen or taking care of the babies or other house chores and that all of the girls are weak.

It doesn't really bother me that much but
When it's been seen it cannot be UN-seen.

Discuss.

what girl in the series has big boobs they are all flat chested!
Jul 11, 2011 3:10 AM
Mar 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjn4vAGjU6E

Read description and watch clip.

Women don't have to fight to be strong, which Amano was trying to prove. Most of the time, just supporting and being there for the main character is actually better than fighting. Understanding the situation and providing emotional support stabilizes the main character's doubts and feelings and makes them stronger. There's an old saying, behind every successful man, there is a woman. The woman helps the man become successful in the background. Also, remember, ep 165, Bianchi mentioned pride of a man. As women, we have to swallow our own pride to allow the man's pride to shine through or else they will not be able to be strong men.

Someone commented Bleach had better characters. I beg the differ, Orihime actually hurt Ichigo by saying stupid things like "Why did he come save me" "He's scary looking, I don't know him anymore!" despite him fighting hard to save her. Matsumoto could fight, yes, but compared to the other characters, she couldn't do much either, she can't even provide emotional support.

Women who can fight can be awesome, but in reality, they will never be able to surpass a man. However, women who can support in any situation, despite their own feelings of being scared, hide them and continue smiling to support the ones they love are also admirable. People seem to forget that there is a reason housewives are housewives. Taking care of children, cooking and cleaning are considered full time jobs and is by no means an easy task. The girls have to do that and provide emotional support and keep smiling. They're the strongest characters in Reborn in my opinion.
Kazemon15Jul 11, 2011 3:15 AM
Jul 13, 2011 1:00 PM

Sep 2010
Pretty much what Kaze said.

While characters like Hibari are physically strong. Kyoko and Haru are strongest emotionally.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Aug 11, 2011 5:58 AM

Dec 2009
What bothers me about this fandom(Anime fandom in general) is = when someone sees a female in the kitchen they automatically think: "Oh, she's weak.". Is it just me or does that seem like a case of 'Real Females Don't Wear Dresses", hm? Not every female can fight. Kyoko and Haru (Two main females) don't have that capability, seeing as they were thrust into a world they had no idea existed and weren't informed on the true mass of the issue until very late.

My argument on Uni is that the Sky Arcobaleno wouldn't fight regardless. Though I'm not that much a fan of Chrome as I am of Haru and Kyoko, she seriously is trying her best to become stronger. That's the part I like: Amano-sensei didn't just give her the automatic ability to be gifted, after all she was thrusted into the Mafioso world shortly before the story began, and Mukuro's been genetically enhanced and training his powers since he was like, I don't know, eight? So yeah, obviously he's going to be better skilled. As for Bianchi, her area of expertise lies in Poison Cooking. Also in the future she has a Storm Box Weapon, and seems pretty capable with it. Concerning Lal, she was DYING. What do you expect? I'm surprised she made it that far, seeing as many wouldn't. I-pin's future self is said to be the most promising hitman. Nana is a whole 'nother argument. She is a lot like Kyoko, in smiling when she really wants to cry, or sending her husband and son off when she really wants them to stay. She probably knows the horrors of the world they live in, but refuses to say anything, because she knows they wish to protect.

@Kazemon. ILU. This is EXACTLY what I wanted to say. It annoys me so much when a girl's emotional strength is totally overlooked for physical strength. Of course, I'm not against physically strong female characters at all, but I hate when people go around calling a girl weak just because she can't lift a two-ton rock or throw a punch. I do believe everyone is missing Amano's point, where she makes it so not all strong female characters have to be physically strong. Same goes for the boys and Tsuna most of all. His physical strength comes from his emotional drive. If he didn't want to protect his friends and didn't have the will, then this manga would've been over a long time ago.
ROLLCAKEAug 11, 2011 6:06 AM

code geass s2 : darker than black : free! es :
haikyuu!! : inaire : kurobas 2 : mikagura : znt
animemanga

Aug 24, 2011 9:31 PM

Oct 2010
yeah, i agree. at first i saw that the girls didn't have enormous boobs or booties, and i was like "YES!" but then i was like "um.. when is the heroine gonna come in?" *sigh* i want a strong girl i can look up to ):
Aug 26, 2011 10:31 AM
Dec 2009
I guess Kazemon and ScaredHeart said everything. You two get a cookie for getting it in right words, 'cause it's not easy.
Aug 26, 2011 5:07 PM

Jul 2011
Kazemon and ScaredHeart said everything. . .

And plus, have you seen episode 165?
MirorinOct 28, 2011 6:15 PM
Jan 26, 2013 5:38 PM
Dec 2012
I agree with Kazemon and ScaredHeart but I was hoping that something like this would happen... The 2 girls (Haru & Kyoko) learn about what the guys are doing --> They don't want to be a burden --> Ask Reborn to at least teach them how to do a little bit of fighting or use flames since I think Kyoko would sun flames she could be in like a medical group I mean they don't have to be strong just learn how to to protect themselves (I hate the 'Knight in shining armor' thing) or help (I mean I've never seen them take care of an injured person before haahhahah.....) or something and Cindycow what about Lal, Bianchi, Daniela or Oregano?
May 25, 2014 10:29 PM
May 2014
Ok, I know this thread is from like 3 years ago and anime has improved on the subject matter since then, but I'm going to add in my 2 cents just because. And keep in mind that I am a man, so this will be from a man's viewpoint.

I agree with Kazemon and SacredHeart about a woman not needing to fight in order to be strong, but noticeably, this is a very common thing in action anime. Yes, it's great that you can provide emotional and physical support by providing people with food and being the only one that can take care of the children while still being able to smile. That makes you strong. But seeing this 50 times gets pretty damn old and you just gotta see a girl kick some ass. It's pretty ridiculous to see a girl that's about to get kidnapped and she can't fight but all she can do is be "strong" by "voicing her opinion" or be "weak" and do nothing. Either way, she's gonna get kidnapped if she doesn't physically fight back.

And I dunno who thought of this atrocious thought of "we don't want to see our women get beaten up, so we make them weak" I mean, really? I don't know if you know this, but if you're gonna be fighter, pretty damn sure you're going to take some hits.

Also, you're missing the point. Why does Amano-sensei have them fight in the first place if they're just going to lose or get saved all the time? Gurl, you're a girl, you created this series, take full advantage of that. Believe it or not, not all guys only enjoy watching guys fight. And even then, you should be taking risks! who cares what people will say, the anime that take big risks are usually the best ones!

Realistically, yes, a woman will never be physically stronger than a man, because of genetics n'stuff. But this is anime. It's fantasy. Do whatever the hell you want, because fuck logic.

And lastly, keep in mind that it is the 21st century, not the Dark Ages where chivalry was a thing. Girls don't need to fight to prove that they're strong, BUT GUYS DON'T EITHER!!! Men can voice their opinions and work hard without having to "prove their strength" by punching someone out. I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to see an anime where both of these roles were reversed completely, where girls fight, and guys aren't useless, but provide a strong emotional and physical backbone. Quite honestly ( i mean no offense and all) Katekyo Hitman Reborn is the most stereotypical shounen anime I have ever seen in my life. (yup, it even beat Dragon Ball Z).

Soooo yeah, that's my essay on the topic at hand...

More topics from this board

» Reborn the Character

Kakuneon - Apr 14

0 by Kakuneon »»
Apr 14, 2:37 AM

Poll: » Katekyo Hitman Reborn! Episode 203 Discussion ( 1 2 )

byebyeblackbird - Dec 2, 2010

93 by Yuurippe22 »»
Apr 7, 9:02 AM

» 80 episodes in and im wondering if its worth to continue

smolseok - Jan 7

8 by Kenpachi_91 »»
Jan 8, 12:40 PM

Poll: » Katekyo Hitman Reborn! Episode 3 Discussion

Zinvy - Aug 10, 2009

26 by FanthyLord »»
Nov 5, 2023 10:45 AM

» For those of you who want a better experience starting hitman reborn.

ArtimesGamer - Apr 2, 2012

29 by removed-user »»
Oct 31, 2023 10:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.