Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 2, 2014 3:33 PM

Dec 2010
Pretty obvious, it's kinda stupid that they even put it in the opening as well (apparently not so obvious to some) so it was more just expecting when he'd die. I wonder how they'll continue now.
Apr 14, 2014 2:47 AM

Jun 2011
Lol a lot of posts here saying it's stupid and whatnot, those are funny.

I didn't like the sudden time skip, it's inevitable, but could have handled it better. There were a few amazing moments in this episode, but overall it was okay.

Edit: Mario looks so much like Sakuragi..
ToG25thBaamApr 14, 2014 2:50 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 17, 2014 12:00 AM

Aug 2013
I really didn't expect Sakuragi to die... I wonder what's going to happen now.
May 7, 2014 7:45 PM

Jan 2014
Sakuragi :(.... I did not expect him to die so soon, I mean I had a feeling he was going to eventually, but not this early >_<
May 30, 2014 6:22 AM

Feb 2009
Ok, like seriously...why did he have to die?! The show is really good but I find it hard to enjoy it with some kinda tear-jerker always hiding behind the corner.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Jul 9, 2014 2:56 PM
Jan 2014
The way Sakuragi died really annoyed me and really took me out of the moment.
The reason why I'm so annoyed with his death is because he got shot by American soldiers. why you may ask? here are the reasons:
1. They could clearly see that Sakuragi was already surrounded by police and they should understand that there then is no reason for them to intervene.
2. Even though they can't speak Japanese they should have gotten the clue that the police was telling them not to shoot.
3. They should have been able to see that the knife he is holding is covered in his own blood, meaning that they wouldn't have immediately thought that Sakuragi was a convict, but maybe instead a victim of a stabbing.
4. They should have seen that Sakuragi had lost a considerable amount of blood and that he could barely stand up without holding on to the fence. So they should have realised that he is now probably so weak that they could simply walk up to him and grab the knife from his hands or beat him down with their guns.
5. (smallest spoiler ever) They all decided to shoot him, meaning three people shot Sakuragi and since six bullets were later removed during the autopsy means that they all decided to shoot him twice, because a guy how can barely stand really needs six bullets to get taken down from a distance of about two metres.
6. (not certain if this one is completely right) They all decided to shoot at the moment the doctor screamed they should shoot, while they can't understand Japanese and have no reason to take orders from a doctor.
Aug 2, 2014 10:14 PM

Jan 2014
Awesome.

Kinda like a less depressing version of Gurren Lagann episode 8 wherein the cool character gets together with the chick, but eventually dies.
Recommend me an anime
Aug 5, 2014 12:38 PM

May 2012
Damn such a tragic death! But now it's their time to for revenge! And man will it taste sweet! Let's see what's next but man I love it!
Aug 24, 2014 8:26 AM
Jul 2018
........ Well, That escalated quickly..
I still can't believe anchan died. :l Wish he had dropped the knife. He really didn't deserve to die like that.
Aug 26, 2014 1:22 PM
Jul 2010
Well, I suppose if this were real life, it's possible that people would mess up and die pathetically (since things don't always go as we perceive).

But the way Anchan died wasn't even heroic.. just sad and a bit forced, I actually hoped for a better cause for his death but it since happened, I assume it will contribute to the development of the plot/characters.

It's still disappointing and I hardly think I'll rate this higher than 9. Forced death is such a plot convenience :/
Sep 6, 2014 2:01 PM

Aug 2014
Why the **** I even started to watch this anime, when I already guess that my favouritecharacters are always going to die.. -.-
I didn't expect this so soon, it was a shock.
I wonder what is going to happen after they got their revenge.

Mario remainds me too much about Sakuragi..
Sep 8, 2014 2:33 PM

Jun 2012
NorikoW said:
Well, I suppose if this were real life, it's possible that people would mess up and die pathetically (since things don't always go as we perceive).

But the way Anchan died wasn't even heroic.. just sad and a bit forced, I actually hoped for a better cause for his death but it since happened, I assume it will contribute to the development of the plot/characters.

It's still disappointing and I hardly think I'll rate this higher than 9. Forced death is such a plot convenience :/

It wasn't really that forced, he'd lost a lot of blood and wasn't thinking straight which is why he held the knife still. And also american soldiers were known to discriminate like that, any excuse to shoot the jap man, it's not set in the modern day remember.
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Sep 14, 2014 4:57 AM

Jun 2014
You know you're a pathetic when you've sunk so low that you've turned into a person not even worth killing.. it's almost not even satisfying to kill Ishihara now better to let him rot like that

And this really opens your eyes to see how prejudiced some of the american soldiers were to the japs back in the day, this depiction is pretty accurate. 6 men lighting up an injured, barely able to walk man like a jack-o lantern
QansSep 14, 2014 5:00 AM
Nov 27, 2014 4:20 PM

Jun 2014
Don't understand why he couldn't have dropped the knife.

Dec 29, 2014 10:12 AM

May 2014
lol. Sakuragi gave Ishihara the letter hoping for a change of heart from the person who made his close friend suicide? Man, how shallow is your hatred Sakuragi? I get it that he's trying to be a nice guy, but that letter was the last thing that stopped the crazy doctor, and Ishihara from hurting Sakuragi's friends in the prison. Way to look after your friends, what the HELL are you thinking?
Jan 7, 2015 6:54 PM

Jun 2014
fuckers came in like " 'murica! BANG BANG"

;-; An-chan is dead; the year has passed and the others have already been released. I wonder what the second half is supposed to be about...
Jan 18, 2015 9:27 PM

Dec 2013
Sakuragi's death felt very stupid imo. I understood that he was dazed by the loss of blood but still. It really did feel like he didn't have to die like that. Although I like everyone's new looks.
Feb 15, 2015 3:57 AM

Nov 2013
Damn OP now you've got me all hyped for the second half. I didn't realize how quickly the inmates of 2-6 were going to get out of reformatory.

I thought for sure this entire anime was going to take place in a prison.

Can't wait to see what happens next! :)

Feb 17, 2015 2:57 PM

Sep 2014
Bro, y u die
Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past."
Feb 21, 2015 6:40 PM

Jul 2013
An-chan should of just dropped that knife....
Mar 18, 2015 4:49 AM

May 2014
Wait, am I rewatching Gurren Lagaan again? Because that's what this death felt like. It was sad yes, but seriously Sakuragi? You couldn't let go of a fucking knife? That's some straight up bullshit. I would've preferred if he just died of blood loss.

Also, I don't know whether to fell pity or anger towards Ishihara at this point..
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Mar 26, 2015 9:06 PM

Jul 2012
Why didn't he just drop the knife?? Even if he was in shock of being stabbed, if he wasn't trying to act all kakkoii and let Ishihara, someone how wanted to KILL him, get so close to him, he wouldn't have gotten stabbed in the first place!

Sigh, I guess we'll just see where the story goes from here.
Mar 27, 2015 6:26 PM
Oct 2012
The writers are idiots. They went for a shitty and the easy choice.

That's how it made me feel anyway.

However the cynicism in me tells me that it was needed and it's so typical of life.

*Head explodes with rage*

Upon reflection and cooling my head, I feel informed about a mans character to aspire to and culture, the depth of it, and also just how much of a shitstorm life is, how trapped the human condition is.

The writers want to make you feel in a way, and they certainly succeed, clinically that is all that matters, It's not my story it's theirs.

You have to see all perspectives and not hold opinions, that is my way of living. Until the universe expands and every facet of my being can be blasted into nothingness. Cowboy bebop was wrong in a sense, there is a way out of this world it seems, it's built in, it seems. There is no limitless free will. Not as human scaled structures understand it.
Ak_Force_Mar 27, 2015 6:39 PM
Mar 27, 2015 10:34 PM

Nov 2014
As I thought, Sakuragi can't survive forever. RIP Sakuragi.
I hope Mario won't kill Ishihara, no need for more prison time. He is mentally dead anyway so it is not worth it. As for Sasaki I don't want the guys to kill him, instead they should destroy his whole reputation and make him suffer in prison for the rest of his life.
May 23, 2015 10:08 PM
May 2015
First time posting on here in response to a specific episode, woohoo.

Okay, first off, every other post is like "why didn't Sakuragi drop the knife?!", and it has already been explained. It's called shock, it's a real thing, look it up.

To elaborate on this, let's talk about real life for a second(for anyone who is saying the situation makes no sense, was forced, isn't based in reality, etc.). My brother was shot through the chest before. I won't get into the reasons behind it, etc., but I was the first one around him. He began pacing around the house, first casually going, "uh yeah, I'm shot. hey. hey I got shot. call someone, or something," then saying nothing. He paced and paced, even though my mother told him not to, as he was bleeding everywhere. The police came pretty quick, and since he did not respond the way they wanted, they straight up tackled him into a wall. ALL THE POLICE. Tackled him. Into a wall. There were like 6 people, and again, HE WAS SHOT. lmao. This crap really does happen, is the point - police overreact just like anyone else when they see blood/know a violent crime was committed, people experience shock and act weird, and it's just... a formula for stupidity, really. Sad, but true.

Onto the next subject - I saw a couple of posts saying, "oh thank god, I'm glad they were uber manly and didn't all break down and cry". This, frankly, irked me. They should cry. Someone who does not cry over a loved one's death has issues. ...I mean yes, everyone deals with it differently. But crying is healthy, natural, and does not fucking make you "less of a man". True men know this. Bow down.

Moving on, my biggest motivation for commenting at all is...
Why. WHY... is there such focus on that d-bag being a drug addict? WHY DOES THAT MAKE HIM A DICK? Call me fucking bonkers, but I think that, I dunno, him helping KILL PEOPLE and BRUTALLY ASSAULT AND TORTURE PEOPLE was worse than -onoes- drug use. Yet it focuses on that, because he used drugs after the fact...? I get it, yay everyone demonize drug users, I know I know. That is the culture not only in Japan, but where I am in the US as well. But at least people are waking up, here. It's not the end of the world, of course. & kids, shooting meth is bad, OF COURSE. However, I think the focus should be on his /violent/ fucking crimes, which existed long before his drug use. Yeah? Yet his drug use was emphasized in order to demonize him further(as if that was necessary), perpetuating the stereotypes that drug users are all evil fuckers, and that if you use drugs you become a violent person. Even the main guy, his mortal enemy, seemed somehow more upset over his using amphetamines than him /trying to kill him/. I just, wow. It's annoying, really, and I realize my bitching will change nothing. Still, what is this topic for if not bitching. ...I do feel better now, ahh... that's the stuff.

Besides that stuff, I like this anime alright. I think, as I pointed out, it has some shortcomings imo. But I'm looking forward to it "picking up", as many people are indicating. Yay.
Jun 6, 2015 11:17 AM
May 2012
shanimebib said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Just so everyone knows, it was indeed a fake spoiler. hints were &#039;tuberculosis&#039;, &#039;gym instructor&#039; and &#039;actor&#039;. i was a bit annoyed that they actually showed it in the preview that what was coming.

Good for the anime though since its following the original manga. it will get better from here on. you can trust me on this.

Due to loss of blood, Sakuragi wasn&#039;t in his senses, and kept the knife in his hand, and despite the Japanese police noticing that he was wounded, he couldn&#039;t stop the MPs who were provoked by Sasaki and fired several rounds. Sakuragi reminisces everyone before taking his last breath.

Mario returns with a K.O victory and meets Setsuko with a smile, and takes her to where An-chan is, breaking down midway in their way when Satsuko kept on insisting about Sakuragi&#039;s whereabouts.

Setsuko collapses on her knees and cries in front of the dead body. Mario returns to the tree where they made the promise all alone.

The day arrives when the remaining 4 are freed from Shonan. everyone meets Mario together who had been waiting for them beforehand.

Anyways, to make the long story short, Mario works in a bar now, Suppon still sells cigarettes from that American Officer, Baremoto works as a librarian, Cabbage works in a construction company, Heitai is a regular now, Joe has started a band with some of his friends and Setsuko still works in the hospital. Also, Setsuko looked more matured and beautiful with her longer hair <3

the six boys later found out that Sasaki has become a renowned figure by now. And decides to avenge Sakuragi. Mario decides to take on Ishihara on his own, and meets Setsuko before that. Setsuko slaps Mario for thinking about doing something Sakuragi would never allow him to do. Mario parts with Setsuko and goes to find Ishihara, but once he meets him by the seaside, he finds an Ishihara hard to recognize, drug addicted and waiting for the return of Sakuragi to kill him. It seems though he has been through this punishment ever since Sakuragi died.

Meanwhile, the six stop Sasaki and show him their faces, just giving him an indication that it is far from over. Sasaki feels doomed as the boys treated him with utmost respect. (this was the best part of the show)

Mario pulls out a dagger to finish off Ishihara. And thats that.

Next Episode: RECOLLECTION. A flashback episode with all the memories surrounding An-chan!

You....you fooled me, but I am glad that they are following the original story yay.
To all the people saying that Bro should have just dropped the knife, come on, he human too, he got fucked up in the stomach, wasn't able to think properly that's why.
Sad shit is sad, man :'( They could have made his death more dramatic, though.
Well, let's see how this goes from here. Mario looks like Bro now, just like in the opening.
Jul 22, 2015 8:53 AM

Jul 2010
xfero said:
I really didn't expect Sakuragi to die... I wonder what's going to happen now.

Honestly how didn't you expect it? it's been foreshadowed in everything from the cover of this anime, the narrator and how the boys say their bro will never die.

I didn't find his death tragic tbh because I expected it. Kinda stupid the way he died though when it could easily have been avoided. Though I'm interested now to see Mario step out of Bro's shadow and be his own man.
Jul 26, 2015 5:37 PM

May 2014
I think that Bro's death seemed avoidable and stupid because the anime didn't explain well that the loss of blood meant he couldn't understand that they were going to shoot him> Maybe they should have included a POV shot where you can hear how muffled everyone's voice was or something? It seems that other people didn't log the loss of blood in their minds. I hope this doesn't pull a Death Note and go downhill once a main character dies.
Oct 19, 2015 4:53 AM

Aug 2014
Sakuragi's death was done in a stupid way , maybe very stupid , it is unrealistic
first of all Sakuragi wants to live , he WANTS , because of that he did not kill ishihara although he had the chance , and he gave him the note ( that was stupid also) so to think he go on and make a suicide that's not logical , and also the police shot him down they could have shot him in the legs preventing him from attacking them and thus they can deal with the situation.
they wanted to kill a main character ? no problem but at least do it in a logical way.

other than that an OK episode.
Setsuko is so nice , and i like the new mario better.
Nov 8, 2015 7:14 AM
Sep 2015
MiraiLink said:
WTF at Sakuragi&#039;s death? That was really weak and his plan to just hand over the suicide note was the dumbest thing ever. Why? I just don&#039;t get the thought behind it. After all Ishihara and Sasaki has done to them and other inmates, I thought he&#039;d at least try to bring them to justice.

The writers destroyed his character there in that last moment. He didn&#039;t go down fighting and broke just about every promise he made by dying.
Nov 9, 2015 3:05 PM

Mar 2013
WHY THE *********
Just tell me that the anime is still worth watching after this awkward moment :@ :'( ;'(
"I believe in panties" ~ Shiina Mashiro
Dec 9, 2015 9:26 PM

Aug 2007
I stalled this for ages and picked up recently, like I thought Sakuragi dies and in a less than intelligent fashion, too. That he was going to die had been telegraphed since episode 1 thanks to the OP that really made it way too obvious but I expected it to happen at a later point in time.

Sakuragi's death was a tad forced. They should either have the MPs shoot or Ishihara stab him, having both is just overkill.

I can't help feeling that the way he simply let himself be stabbed was plain dumb. Especially for a guy who was so willing to cling to life under extreme duress.

This could have worked and ended with Sakuragi's death in a much more believable way if Sakuragi beat Ishihara into a pulp and then the MPs shot him dead.

As for giving Ishihara Hagino's letter, that really rubbed me the wrong way. I understand what Sakuragi was trying to accomplish but the moment he realized that Ishihara was completely off his rocker it should have become clear that delivering the note would solve absolutely nothing.
Jan 16, 2016 3:50 PM

Jan 2010
I had to check twice to make sure i didn't get to the last episode by accident....wuuut the f****ck??

Did they just kill the main character in episode 12? :o

now i'm really intrigued

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jan 24, 2016 10:37 AM

Feb 2015
Wow I really dont like how he died because he wouldn't drop a knife. So he lives through all the torture and pain just to die like that? This episode seemed extremely rushed also, I was more angry then sad honestly.

Post time skip Setsuko tho....
Feb 27, 2016 6:41 AM

Feb 2013
I knew it :,(, really sad, I loved the song that played during his las words. I hope Mario doesn't kill Isihara, I mean, he already looks like its dead already.

Aug 7, 2016 2:38 PM

Jun 2013
It's so hard to see Sakuragi not kill Ishihara or Sasaki. Dammit, it's so wrong to see him just die without getting a happy ending.
I don't think I've ever hated a character in an anime more than Sasaki and Ishihara. I need to see them get their just desserts. Watched 12 episodes in one day, need to find time to marathon the rest of it XD.
Sep 28, 2016 6:20 AM

Jan 2013
I don't even feel sad for Sakuragi, fuck that idiot. And the other boys aren't better either, going to throw away their futures for petty revenge. gg.
Dec 12, 2016 9:36 PM
Mar 2012
Duzell said:
Could've done better.
Sakuragi's death was pathetic , all his coolness till now was for nothing? He could've just let the knife go and go to a hospital instead of dying just like that. Setsuko seems to be the only one who thinks a lil in this show , the guys think with their muscles . They scared Sasaki but they were also seen by that two guy who don't need much of a brain to figure out their intention , especially after Sasaki's reaction. Ishihara being so pathetic wasn't much of a surprise , he was like that since the beginning of the series , relying on Sasaki and with not too much of a brain.
I agree. I don't mind him dieing, but it feels so pathetic that he dies because he just doesn't let go of the knife... I wouldn't have minded if he died from the knife wound but now it was like he wanted to die. Really just seemed that they rushed his death or just didn't plan it to not look stupid.
SonoFieldDec 12, 2016 9:51 PM
Dec 30, 2016 3:39 PM

Mar 2016
his death annoyed me, just drop the fucking knife u retard
Jan 23, 2017 1:49 PM

Feb 2013
Stupid americans, they were afraid of a wounded boy with a knife when they had riffles.
Lol, Sasaki wants to be mayor.
Mario has to end Ishihara.
Feb 3, 2017 11:47 AM

Mar 2016
Wow, i was not expecting Sakuragi to die, he was the most important charachter and died so early in the anime :o
There will be 14 episodes without him, wtf?!
I wonder what will happen by now, i´m kinda shocked of this death, i was like "please he´s not death right?"...
I also think that this death could be better, like much more emotional to be honest. It was a surprise but not emotional enough to make someone to cry, as he deserved!
I hope this anime do not downgrade, because by now it´s a solid 9/10 !
yousandroFeb 26, 2017 4:46 PM

If you watched 13 Reasons Why in 13 hours in a row (like me) you got my respect !
Feb 12, 2017 9:48 AM

May 2016
Just as I for saw it he wasn't in the opening under the tree and The main picture of the anime he was at the top alone looking at the sky, I really looked forward to their reuniting under the tree were they carved their dreams.
I don't get it what are the other five doing giving Sassaki that warning what is the meaning of this?
I wish to see their deaths but one the other hand I don't want them to do the dirty jobs.
Feb 22, 2017 1:03 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Sakuragi you big naive fool you!

Well lets see how the others grow up after this. I like how they confronted Sasaki here.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 26, 2017 1:55 PM

Apr 2016
Really? This is how you're gonna kill the best character of the show? I was more like "Why?!" in that moment than sad.

Why didn't they kill off Mario instead? Because apparently, he's still stupid and wants to throw away his freedom for revenge.
Raccoon_CitizenFeb 26, 2017 2:02 PM
Mar 16, 2017 8:52 PM

Sep 2015
So sad... If only the MPs had subtitles , then the japanese police wouldve stopped em from shooting Sakuragi ;-;

I also dont think Sasaki's " fire" shout was in English so the MPs didnt shoot on his command. Sasaki for Mayor gives me the creeps. I can imagine if he does he would be visiting elementary schools to talk to children and espeically young boys... lemme just stop there.
Sep 28, 2017 4:19 AM

Jan 2016
REALLY? Thats how they decided to end it? This anime is the easiest drop of my life. Most retarded death i have ever seen, the japanese writer proved himself incapable of good storyline with this episode.
Jan 15, 2018 7:29 AM

Dec 2014
well that was just downright sad Sakuragi was killed off like that... why o why
Feb 3, 2018 5:56 PM

Oct 2013
Sure it was a bit sad seeing Sakuragi die but was it really necessary though? Feeling kinda conflicted with how this ended up so far, don't know what to think of this show right now.

Mar 24, 2018 9:03 AM
Jul 2018
Stupid dead, trying to be cool until pointless and not heroic death, you ruined setsuko’s life
Realistic? I dont think so. There were other better ways that sakuragi didnt die like that
Sorry for my bad english
Apr 2, 2018 5:36 PM

Jul 2017
Three issues I have with this show so far: One why is Sakuragi in jail? He didn't kill his mom or his dad so I don't see how he ended up there, two give the fucking note to the police you fucking idiot (that's the big one), three why didn't he drop the knife then, he could see it later why die now, even if he did go to the match he would bleed out by that time. also his death is idiotic. (Like I know some times police did that but still like)

If they just didn't do these things or at least have Sakuragi die from bleeding to death as he walks to his match I would still have this show as a 9/10 or a 10/10
ZerityApr 2, 2018 6:11 PM
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

DrRoboto - Jul 20, 2010

79 by Gabi15 »»
Apr 19, 12:29 PM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Florete - Sep 28, 2010

220 by prozyne »»
Mar 6, 9:10 PM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tomimi - Jul 6, 2010

111 by prozyne »»
Mar 4, 12:10 AM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShanaFlame - Apr 3, 2010

279 by prozyne »»
Feb 28, 9:24 AM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShanaFlame - May 5, 2010

150 by Dywei »»
Jan 26, 7:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.