Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Giant Killing
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 20, 2010 9:08 AM

Aug 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
There are only two times in which I was literally cheering for the team in a sports anime.

The first was in Eyeshield 21 when Sena, Monta and Komusubi did a three stage jump to get over the Poseidon teams defense line for a touchdown. The second was in today's episode of Giant Killing when Tsubaki made a freaking awesome goal on Nagoya.

(Anyone else think Tatsumi is like if you put Gintoki's personality in Light Yagami and made him a football coach? :D)
Jun 20, 2010 10:46 AM
Nov 2009
After he scored the goal, while he was running, I expected him to bang into someone because his eyes were closed the whole time XD

Tatsumi also shined this episode, proving that he is good at noticing weaknesses.
Jun 20, 2010 12:27 PM

May 2009
Ah, that really brings out the adrenaline rush. Nice goal! Tsubaki!!
mhm, I wanna see Itagaki do something next episode.
Jun 20, 2010 3:03 PM

May 2009
GOAL!!!!!! Tsubaki! Tsubaki! Tsubaki!

As glorious the counter and Tsubaki's goal were, Tatsumi owned this episode. His tireless dedication to studying tape combined with his ability to see things that others can't paid off here. Pretty amazing that the total focus on defense was really done in order to create that one opening for his team to score. From turning the opposing team's strength into a weakness and taking advantage of player tendencies, this episode showed him at his tactical best.

As exciting as this match has been to watch, I hope it ends in the next episode.
Jun 20, 2010 3:11 PM

Feb 2008
it was awesome until after the goal, then they slowed down the pace and it felt like they were trying to run out the clock rather than continue the episode. still, awesome counter :)

I wonder how many new fans Tsubaki will have after this match? ; )
Jun 20, 2010 3:14 PM
Dec 2008
"Me: HELL YEAH, GO FOR IT TSUBAKIIIIIIIII!!"
"Father: What match are you watching that you yell so much?"
"Me: Something even better than all the world cup matches"

...Then he looked at me with a weird face and left the room. Feels good man.

And I have to give props to the creators for actually giving a personality to the rivals, made that goal even better.

I wish that Tatsumi actually existed lol.
Jun 20, 2010 3:46 PM

Nov 2008
Usami-Haru said:
I wish that Tatsumi actually existed lol.

Seconded.

Anyhow. I expected the match to finish in this episode, but for some reason they decided to drag it, too bad. The way it's going, the rest of manga material might actually be squeezed into the remaining fourteen episodes - which would be a shame.

Tsubaki is becoming bearable, isn't he.
Jun 20, 2010 7:27 PM

Nov 2009
Analytical_gal said:
After he scored the goal, while he was running, I expected him to bang into someone because his eyes were closed the whole time XD

That passed through my mind too. I am not sure i want them to be realistic and get rid of the talking, or stay the way they are spacing out and chatting in the middle of the game.
I love how they implement the language barrier. "What was Itagaki saying?"

This game is really long though that is for sure >.> but they have done a good job of keeping it interesting.
Jun 20, 2010 7:43 PM

Mar 2009
SUGOI TSUBAKI! :D Great goal, and the first song that came to my mind was "The Little Busters" by The Pillows. Tatsumi is just plain badass and cool that he used to use instincts now he watches the tape. Just plain awesome. ---- Randy
Jun 20, 2010 7:50 PM

Mar 2009
Holy crap, I'm only half way through it and I'm getting goosebumps!!
Jun 20, 2010 7:59 PM

Jun 2009
That was damn a good episode. Just didn't like the looong 3 min. flash back at the start. Also they could have finished this match in this episode, well nevermind, looks like the will gonna win in the next episode. Woo woot!
Jun 20, 2010 8:01 PM

Dec 2007
Good episode, but too much dialogue on the field for my tastes.

I mean, I think only 10 minutes of game-time passed in this episode, and this is halfway through the series. How is ETU going to go from a 1-5 bottom feeder (assuming they beat Nagoya, which I'm pretty sure they will) to the top of the league in 13 episodes if it takes four episodes to show one game?

Also, I was cracking up at how much Portuguese sounds like drunken Spanish.
Jun 20, 2010 8:14 PM

Jun 2009
I loved this episode!!
Jun 20, 2010 8:33 PM

May 2008
Oh yea! looks like a few more mins is left in the game

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jun 20, 2010 9:01 PM

Aug 2009
i just love how he comes out of no where to score that goal. so exciting watching this anime this is why i love sport anime xD
Jun 20, 2010 9:41 PM

Aug 2008
He came just from nowhere? yeah sure you say... In fact he was running along side Gino all the time during the counter attack! So no wonder why managed to reach the goal just in time to crush Nagoya's hopes of scoring and making them more desperate for goals... In one way or the other I thought Carlos noticing Tsubaki's and unexpectedly Ouji's pressure was going to be the final downfall for ETU... Happily it wasn't ETU's downfall but Nagoya's!! Heck you dunno how happy I was when Tatsumi actially predicted that and saw all those flaws throughout Nagoya's tctical disposition and the players abilities! Shoot it was just sooo amazing... Tatsumi is awesome... If only someone like that actually existed... He's like Mourinho... yet he has to confirm us his awesomeness in Real Madrid...

SO so Tatsumi's coaching abilities really took effect and finally managed to warm up and take the advantage of the game... Man I was really excited when Tsubaki scored... I loved that scene... thou it was a shame that Akasaki missed... but hey he did everything perfectly well.. he made the perfect moves to actually try to score the goal... just a little faster and it would have been your goal... But hey that made Tsubaki the hero... I also wonder how many fans will Tsubaki gain after this goal...

BTW finally someone else realized that the Number Tsubaki sports means something! Finally someone realized that there has to be a reason why Tsubaki carries that number! Finally they got into it! and Tatsumi really trusts that guy.. which is bad and good at the same time... But finally someone else realized! yeha!

Well well the match it's not ended yet... Hold up ETU!!! You can do it! Doesn't matter Itagaki will go all crazy and go to either way he pleases... and not follow the Coach's directions... Oh whatever... I'm confident Kuroda will stop him... I just hope they stop everything what Carlos do... Oh and the talk between Carlos and Zelberto was interesting... Makes me wonder what else can they do... And Pepe... damn his moment was barely stole by Kiyokawa.... dang...

Signs,
Green

@Usami-Haru: Heck I do understand you!!! The second round has been much better yet it's not what we waited for! Oh well whatever... La Samba came to make this quite fun...

Hmmm finally ETU's tactical disposition is clearer to me... Let's see.. Midorikawa (Dori) No.1 as GK, Sugie No. 3 and Kuroda No. 2 the Centerbacks, Ishihawa No. 22 Rightback, Kiyokawa No. 14 Leftback, both side backs having little or none run on their sides... Along with Murakoshi No.6 Defensive Midfielder make up the defense of ETU. then comes Tsubaki No.7 as the mixed Midfielder, Akasaki No.15 the Right Winger, Yoshida (Gino) No.10 as the Playmaker, and Sera No.20 as the Center Forward... I still dun have an idea who goes left on the midfield of ETU... but damn they do have nice chem between them... I love this team! They make up more or less a 4-5-1 Formation, switching back and forth between 4-4-2, 4-1-3-1-1 and 4-1-2-1-2
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 20, 2010 10:13 PM

Nov 2009
They made a goal and better not become cocky ... thats whatll make them lose. I hope ETU beats the other crappy coach anyway for gods sake. if they lose this one i might stop watching the anime, anyway, cheering tsubaki to the extreme.
Jun 21, 2010 1:18 AM

May 2008
YES! i knew it Tsubaki was going to score =D
now now, im guessing they will scrore in the next episode, equalise, but then ETU will score the winner. or it will be 2 -0 :3
Jun 21, 2010 1:22 AM

Apr 2008
Episode 12 Screencaps and Impressions:
http://randomc.net/2010/06/20/giant-killing-12/
Jun 21, 2010 3:01 AM

Sep 2007
So far better than my national team.
(Yes i'm french ... Go joke on me. XD)
Jun 21, 2010 3:57 AM

Sep 2008
I love how this is the underdog / surprise story. Just like my country New Zealand in the world cup atm :p WE TIED WITH ITALY! WHAT THE HECK! Very good episode though, it was exactly what I had been waiting many episodes for. Got quite into it.
Jun 21, 2010 4:59 AM

Jan 2009
nice a goal from the underdog tsubaki the wait for the next episode is killing me
Jun 21, 2010 5:50 AM

Dec 2007
FUCK YEAH TSUBAKI!!!

THIS HAS MADE MY FUCKING DAY!!!
Jun 21, 2010 10:34 AM

Aug 2008
They really just wasted the second half on reactions, flash-backs, and slow motion. Shame, because the first half was brilliant. Seeing Gino fired up was awesome. I'm tired of Tsubaki and Koshi.

Bumped down from an 8 to a 6.
Jun 21, 2010 10:45 AM
Jul 2008
Did I really...?

Yes you did Tsubaki, and it was marvelous.
Oji was great as ever.
Jun 21, 2010 11:17 AM

Nov 2008
helur said:

I love how they implement the language barrier. "What was Itagaki saying?"

It was perfect! You know, the manga has them actually speaking in Japanese...
Jun 21, 2010 11:40 AM

Jan 2009
GOOOOAAAALLLL !!!

Great counterattack begin from Kiyokawa to Gino, continued with a nice trough pass to Akasaki. He shoots, Sera failed to get the rebound and Tsubaki makes a great coming and score to the open goal. A really thrilling moment there, I already expected that they going to exploit Carlos's hole.

Anyways, does anyone realize that Takumi's tactic is like almost all the tactics that small teams use against big teams in the World Cup ? (Lure the opponent in with much possesion and do a defesive play with fast counterattack).

There's 15 minutes left and could ETU hang on ?
VS Nagoya gonna be the longest match in this anime, 4 episodes.

ShiroiRyu said:

Well, I pity french national team, after barely qualified to the world cup, a draw against uruguay, a defeat against mexico, anelka getting sent home, Evra and the players boycotted the training session, FFF president steps down, it's really a big problem while they must face the host country in the next match
Jun 21, 2010 12:23 PM

Jul 2008
It was a good episode, but just too much recap at the beginning of the episode.
Jun 21, 2010 1:39 PM

Mar 2009
They were really laying it on thick about that goal, to the point that I couldn't take it seriously most of the time. And wtf, that scene from the half-time talk about Pepe and Carlos totally doesn't feel like it actually happened after Tastumi was all like 'yeah, just do the same crap you've been doing!' last episode.

Now that I'm done complaining, TSUBAKI <3 The dork pulled through.
Tatsumi totally doesn't feel like the protagonist. At least during games, it's commendable how the screentime gets spread around the characters. The counterattack was laid out well, hopefully that wasn't just the apex of what this series has to offer for plays. This game needs to end soon so we can have some slice-of-life again.
Jun 21, 2010 3:04 PM

Jun 2009
Nice counter. Interesting how they sat back all this time just to wait for that one moment when Carlos moved up for the attack. This match should not be 4 eps long.

And I am going to punch something if I have to hear more about this reporter and her thoughts about her career. The most useless part written in series.

yamato21 said:
Well, I pity french national team, after barely qualified to the world cup, a draw against uruguay, a defeat against mexico, anelka getting sent home, Evra and the players boycotted the training session, FFF president steps down, it's really a big problem while they must face the host country in the next match

The French team have some deep issues that they need to work out. Should have named their new coach a while ago since they knew how was getting the job next. Sure all these problems wouldn't have happened.
Jun 21, 2010 3:19 PM
Dec 2007
ShiroiRyu said:

Nothing can be weaker and less respectful than the players of our national team. Hope that the leaders of this masquerade (Evra, Gallas, Abidal, Ribery - and Malouda, even if he's the only outstanding French player in this WC -) will be benched tomorrow. They deserve it.

That said, I must say that today's episode was interesting although kinda slow. The developments were expected but relatively well executed. On a purely graphical side though, the 3D is bothering me more and more as it's badly integrated with the drawings and can be very distracting at times. Well, the animation's not really great overall.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 21, 2010 3:53 PM

Mar 2009
velcom said:
I love how this is the underdog / surprise story. Just like my country New Zealand in the world cup atm :p WE TIED WITH ITALY! WHAT THE HECK! Very good episode though, it was exactly what I had been waiting many episodes for. Got quite into it.

Robbed by De Rossi's dive, pity.
Jun 21, 2010 6:59 PM

Mar 2009
Looks like ETU might win this time.
Jun 21, 2010 8:22 PM
Feb 2010
ShiroiRyu said:

Lmao. Well, your national team might be much better if they had Tatsumi as coach XD.

Anyone else think that this ep has a lot of recaps? 3 mins of recap b4 OP and slightly more after the first half on the ep. Little content covered... seems like this soccer match will be quite lasting.

Btw anyone noticed the preview for the next ep, where they put "Fin" below the episode number 13?
Jun 21, 2010 10:06 PM

Sep 2008
sukari said:
velcom said:

Robbed by De Rossi's dive, pity.

I know eh :/
Jun 22, 2010 7:13 AM
Sep 2007
Its all good and stuff that Tsubaki scored a goal, but there is just to much talking, its really slowing the pace of the game, and the anime. This game as been going on for 4 ep and Giant Killing ends in 14. Its just going to dam slow. Think I'll start reading the manga, cause I'm getting disappointed at the moment with how the anime is going. I was really excited about this game, but now I just can't get into it.
Hi
Jun 22, 2010 7:17 AM

May 2008
That was a pretty nice goal from Tsubaki, I loved it. Maybe next ep too....
It's indeed slowed down after the goal, still I like where this goes. One episode and we will be at halfway and probably the match will be over~
Jun 22, 2010 9:55 AM
May 2009
Man I enjoyed that alot, the music especially helps to bring the mood of celebration at the end. Its moments like this though that make sports anime so addictive.
Jun 22, 2010 10:51 AM

Aug 2009
noteDhero said:
They really just wasted the second half on reactions, flash-backs, and slow motion. Shame, because the first half was brilliant. Seeing Gino fired up was awesome. I'm tired of Tsubaki and Koshi.

Bumped down from an 8 to a 6.

Whoa! A 6? I mean, if an episode disappointed me, I would just bring it down one vote, but two? Doesn't that seem a little harsh?
Jun 22, 2010 2:17 PM

Aug 2008
It was a long time coming. The past few episodes have been very slow and underwhelming. I thought I had had it at a 7 already, but I didn't.
Jun 22, 2010 2:41 PM

May 2009
yamato21 said:
Anyways, does anyone realize that Takumi's tactic is like almost all the tactics that small teams use against big teams in the World Cup ? (Lure the opponent in with much possession and do a defensive play with fast counterattack).

Which speaks for the manga author, an anime which features actual tactics applied in football. Even if there was little ingenious about this counter.

And on the edge of sanity I stumble and fall.
Jun 22, 2010 9:05 PM
Feb 2010
Hawaiian420 said:
Its all good and stuff that Tsubaki scored a goal, but there is just to much talking, its really slowing the pace of the game, and the anime. This game as been going on for 4 ep and Giant Killing ends in 14. Its just going to dam slow. Think I'll start reading the manga, cause I'm getting disappointed at the moment with how the anime is going. I was really excited about this game, but now I just can't get into it.

I thought officially, it ends at 26? oO.
Jun 22, 2010 10:17 PM

Apr 2008
^ I think he/she meant it ends in another 14 episodes, since this is episode 12 already.

anyhoo, im extremely glad tsubaki finally scored a goal. now i just want them to move on from this match.

x

Jun 22, 2010 11:15 PM

Jul 2009
That was a great goal by tsubaki, I love Gino, so I am glad he was interested in the game for a bit.