Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (19) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 27, 2007 1:06 AM

Mar 2007
and so it ends.............

It felt.....strange. I can't say I understand how Mello and Takada' being written by Mikami had a part in this exactly, but oh well......I guess I'll just have to watch this ep again.

No swimming lessons, however there was a nice quite death for Light in the end. I kind of expected an end like in the movie where Light would ask for ryuuku's help and rather writes Light's name instead of everyone else. :P

But meh........I suppose I can live with the outcome. Mikami was just stupid enough to get followed in the end. (though I don't know how Giovanni could forge that note so perfectly (it was all yellow and everything) in just one day........)

So I'm not that unhappy about how Light lost (though I just hate Near, I didn't want HIM to win :P ) and the last ep was.........well strange. Light being not his composed self (well wasn't for a while now), mikami same thing (and wasn't composed in the previous ep either, but meh this time he looked like a dog from hell?)

If mikami was any good, he'd have a page of the death note with him at all times, never using it, except for emergency times......or when excecuting the entire SPK and anti-Kira force in one shot.:P
Jun 27, 2007 1:43 AM

Mar 2007
Just got done watching it... stayed up a bit later than I wanted... seen that it was released to I had to watch it before going to bed (It's 4:40 am)...

Anyway
Jun 27, 2007 1:59 AM

Mar 2007
Meh, I guess it worked. Not as good as expected though.
And I wanted to see what all thus fuss about "Swimming lessons" have been the last coming week =[
Guess I'll have to read the end of the manga for that or something.
Jun 27, 2007 2:58 AM

Dec 2006
It was a good ending, felt really calm and sad at the same time as Light died. Light acting all crazy was definitely a surprise, but then again he's shown not to be the type to give up easily under any situation, what else could he do. What shocked me the most was Matsuda's shooting, really the last person I expected to do something like that.
リスト 。。

Jun 27, 2007 3:18 AM

Mar 2007
Kira said:
It was a good ending, felt really calm and sad at the same time as Light died. Light acting all crazy was definitely a surprise, but then again he's shown not to be the type to give up easily under any situation, what else could he do. What shocked me the most was Matsuda's shooting, really the last person I expected to do something like that.

I think matsuda was probably the only person, next to Light's father, who believed in Light until the very end. I think the rest just saw it coming. Matsuda probably felt betrayed by Light (hell he didn't FEEL anything, he's a friggin' anime character!!) more than the others. So yeah, he found out that Light is Kira (without a shadow of a doubt) and not just that, he's trying to pull things off eventhough he obviously lost. Wouldn't you want to do something similar to Light if you were in Matsuda's shoes? Wouldn't you feel frustrated already? LIGHT NO BAKA!!

XD
Jun 27, 2007 4:01 AM

Apr 2007
I totally hate the ending, precisely, the part about giovanni replacing the real notebook.
How come Giovanni could forge the entire notebook in just one day ? Mikami seemed a logical and intelligent character, strictly listening to "God's" orders and he acted on his own when his was told not to do anything ? And also, the SPK didn't know it was possible to make judgements with pieces of death note. Why didn't Light tell Mikami to have a special seperate page of dn hidden somewhere in his clothes, just in case the real notebook was discovered ? Light and Mikami suddenly turned into total fools ? I just don't buy it, it's plain naive. It totally ruined the outcome. I understand the manga/anime developers wanted Near to win at the end, which seems logical, but they could have made a much more credible plot. Shame on you !
Jun 27, 2007 4:30 AM

Oct 2006
Ditto... after episode 36 I was expecting they made this one good. I already knew who's gonna win... I already knew Light was gonna die, that Misa was gonna die, that Mikami was gonna die... yay for you manga spoilers!

Eitherway, I didn't know how they'd reach that outcome... and yeah it was pretty lame... Not that it is the producers fault or anything... since they followed the manga I guess. But yeah, like Mefist said Light was made a fool in the end... and Mikami was even more idiotic.

I'll say it again...

Death Note should have ended in episode 26

Everything after that has been boring, unexceptinal and lacked brilliantism. I thought it could be saved after seeing ep 36... and I was wrong. It seems like Death Note changed writers after episode 26, honestly...

Shame on you, indeed!
Jun 27, 2007 4:51 AM

Mar 2007
i liked the episode but i really wanted Light to win. I can't believe that stupid brat Near won. I'm soooooooooooooooooo disappointed! the moment when he is dying and he sees L in front of him was kind of sweet. I didn't expect Misa committing suicide either. Damn you Matsuda!
Jun 27, 2007 6:22 AM

Nov 2004
Under the circumstances i thought it was a good ending, I did want light to win though, so it was kind of a sad ending =\

Would have loved it if it did indeed end with ep 26
Jun 27, 2007 6:23 AM

Feb 2005
Ah...felled by his hubris at last...Although the manga played a bit different...There, he cried out to Ryuk for help inside the storehouse, demanding him to kill the others, but Ryuk smiled and told him how he really wasn't on anyone's side, and proceeded to write Light's name in his note...But I guess the sunset outside gave it a bit more atmosphere...
The fact that Gevanni managed to forge a new note in one day is very silly, but other than that, It is perfectly understandable that Light lost...In the end, it all happened because he already took his victory for granted, and because of the sudden loss of Takeda, he could no longer communicate with Teru...And he forgot to tell Teru that he had a Note piece for emergency use...He underestimated Near, and so, his Hubris became his undoing...A good old tragedy indeed :D
And even better...Now I can finally burn the last episodes and clear up some HD space! Yatta!
Jun 27, 2007 7:46 AM

Mar 2007
=Edited=
Nevermind, I figured it out... why can't you delete a post after 15 minutes?
ZelJun 27, 2007 8:17 AM
Jun 27, 2007 8:46 AM

Apr 2007
Wow, that was.. different.

It's weird, but I would've been SO pissed if Light had called out to Takada first instead of Misa in the anime. hehe, funny how being a semi-obsessive shipper can make the small things so important ^^;;

Well, IMHO it was pretty obvious that Light wouldn't win - or at least really lame if he did. I mean, he already beat L. To have him beat Near and Mello as well would basically make the second arc a lame copy of the first ...now it's just lame <_<
Jun 27, 2007 8:52 AM

Mar 2007
yes, we love you kira! *wipes tear and shakes her handkerchief*
Jun 27, 2007 9:21 AM
Apr 2007
I didn't liked the episode, it didn't feel like death note. How the hell could that giovanni guy make a forge the death note that it would be perfect so mikami wouldn't notice?

But at least Light lost, that was the only thing that I liked about this pisode.
Jun 27, 2007 9:30 AM

Oct 2006
Aokaado said:
Long live Kira - Light !
QFT~
Jun 27, 2007 10:36 AM

Jan 2007
Okay, seriously...hilarious. When Mikami started stumbling around with his blood geyser I thought I would die laughing. XD
Jun 27, 2007 12:04 PM

Jan 2005
I wanted Light to win, but it still was an ok ending. If Kira was to win, it should have ended in ep 26 anyway. And the whole "note-replica in one day"- ting was a little stupid... Mikami would have noticed the difference right away.

Yagami should just do it the way I would! :p Let the notbook stay fake and have Mikami write down all names except Near's :) (don't know if it'd work or not, but at least Near's face expression would be interesting :p)
Jun 27, 2007 12:08 PM

Nov 2006
Kayrhandros said:
Aokaado said:
Long live Kira - Light !
QFT~

Long live Kira - Light !
Ufozile said:
I wanted Light to win, but it still was an ok ending. If Kira was to win, it should have ended in ep 26 anyway. And the whole "note-replica in one day"- ting was a little stupid... Mikami would have noticed the difference right away.

Yagami should just do it the way I would! :p Let the notbook stay fake and have Mikami write down all names except Near's :) (don't know if it'd work or not, but at least Near's face expression would be interesting :p)

i would have love to see that too.

Jun 27, 2007 12:39 PM

Jun 2007
Wow.

What an ending. I thought for sure light was going to reign.. the way the previews were shown for this last episode. Light went INSANE!!! He lost his mind, and what about mikami? He killed himself too? I was actually a little.. concerned.. for light's sanity.. did you HEAR the way he was laughing? Maniacal.. crazy.. I can't believe it's over though! I've been watching this series for about a month now, so it's going to be weird.. no death note. I'm so going to rewatch this again.

I still don't understand how takada was killed by mikami? I thought for sure light killed her because we saw him writing her name in his hidden piece of the note?

Also... Ryuk said that he told him that the person to write his name would be him..? He never said that! None of these episodes revealed that to me, or have I missed something?
But.. besides that.. this series ended on a sad note.. I don't like the way light just.. died like that. But in a way I'm happy too because he killed L and he just had to die for that. I really really liked this series, it was so good to watch, and so interesting.
AishiteruzeJun 27, 2007 12:42 PM

-Seigi-
Jun 27, 2007 12:46 PM

Feb 2005
Aishiteruze said:

I still don't understand how takada was killed by mikami? I thought for sure light killed her because we saw him writing her name in his hidden piece of the note?

She was not. Light was the one who killed her, Mikami had set the time of death a minute or so after Light...
Jun 27, 2007 12:48 PM

Jun 2007
Baman said:
Aishiteruze said:

She was not. Light was the one who killed her, Mikami had set the time of death a minute or so after Light...

Ahhhh, I see I see, I get it now..

-Seigi-
Jun 27, 2007 1:30 PM

Apr 2007
Baman said:
Aishiteruze said:

I thought one of the rules of the Death Note was that if two people wrote down the same person's name, they canceled each other out. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I could have sworn that was one of the rules from the commercial break segments.
Jun 27, 2007 1:38 PM

Jan 2005
Roketsu said:
Baman said:
Aishiteruze said:

I thought one of the rules of the Death Note was that if two people wrote down the same person's name, they canceled each other out. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I could have sworn that was one of the rules from the commercial break segments.
I think that was if it was written on the next page on the same note or something.
Jun 27, 2007 1:52 PM

Jun 2007
I became a huge fan of Kira/Light.. So.. Well.
I'm speechless.

I'm getting drunk right now.

Because I don't know what to do.

About Light laughing maniacally and acting crazy.. Well, that showed how pathetic he was in the end.. Yep, he tried to survive.. But he didn't manage.. If only he had planned it a bit bit better.. not underestimated Near.. God do I hate Near...... And do I like Light.

I'm not going to rate this episode because.. the whole series was awesome but now I'm really ..disappointed. I think.

Roketsu said:
Baman said:
Aishiteruze said:

Nope, I think they cancel each other only if they're written simultaneously (that is, in a 0.05 seconds margin). Otherwise, the first judgement written takes place.. I think.
Jun 27, 2007 2:04 PM

Feb 2005
Orb said:

Nope, I think they cancel each other only if they're written simultaneously (that is, in a 0.05 seconds margin). Otherwise, the first judgement written takes place.. I think.

That might be so...What's more, I cannot seem to recall all those commercial break rules being mentioned in the manga...anyone else who read the manga remember?
Might be wrong though...
Jun 27, 2007 2:09 PM

Aug 2006
Am I the only one on this site that liked Near??? O_o Well... I quite enjoyed the last episode... very dramatic... and Matsuda... T_T I feel more for him than any of the other characters, because, as someone said, he believed in Light until the very end... poor guy...

...and Misa... I wanted to see her jump... annoying little git... (sorry... I never liked her.)... oh well...

...I can't believe it's over... **sigh**
Jun 27, 2007 2:19 PM

Jun 2007
Chelle said:
Am I the only one on this site that liked Near??? O_o Well... I quite enjoyed the last episode... very dramatic... and Matsuda... T_T I feel more for him than any of the other characters, because, as someone said, he believed in Light until the very end... poor guy...

...and Misa... I wanted to see her jump... annoying little git... (sorry... I never liked her.)... oh well...

...I can't believe it's over... **sigh**

I have nothing against Near.. it's just no one will replace L.. *sigh*

Oh yeah, matsuda-chan, I felt so sorry for him.. he really did like light, and finding out that he's kira, and that he led his father to death, must be painful, I felt so sorry for him.

I'm with you on misa, she annoys me too. -_-

-Seigi-
Jun 27, 2007 2:32 PM

Jan 2007
Chelle said:
Am I the only one on this site that liked Near???

Yes. :P

And I was hoping Misa would jump, too. I would have given the series a 10/10 if they'd just thrown me that little bone...
Jun 27, 2007 2:44 PM

Jun 2007
Aishiteruze said:
I have nothing against Near..

Well, I do have something against him.

That was all because of him. That Light died. Only because of him. -_-
Jun 27, 2007 2:44 PM

Apr 2007
Kayrhandros said:
Ditto... after episode 36 I was expecting they made this one good. I already knew who's gonna win... I already knew Light was gonna die, that Misa was gonna die, that Mikami was gonna die... yay for you manga spoilers!

Eitherway, I didn't know how they'd reach that outcome... and yeah it was pretty lame... Not that it is the producers fault or anything... since they followed the manga I guess. But yeah, like Mefist said Light was made a fool in the end... and Mikami was even more idiotic.

I'll say it again...

Death Note should have ended in episode 26

Everything after that has been boring, unexceptinal and lacked brilliantism. I thought it could be saved after seeing ep 36... and I was wrong. It seems like Death Note changed writers after episode 26, honestly...

Shame on you, indeed!

Agreed. The episode was okay, I knew it was coming but... I still didn't want it to be. Light really should have won. I don't agree with how Light beat L the first time, but against Near, there was no reason he should have lost. The plot devices used seem very... amateur. I don't know. I rated this as "OK" but that's being very generous.

The ending was nice though... peaceful for Light. After all, while he had the note, I can't imagine him really having any form of peace.
Jun 27, 2007 2:48 PM

Apr 2007
Near is cool I don't know what you guys are talking about!

Anyway the ending for me was ok. Everything was going well til I saw Mikami stab himself (or whatever he did). After that I'm like WTF. When L appeared that made me feel better lol.

Everyone should really read volume 12 of the manga! The ending was much more effective there than the anime. I was dying to see Light beg for mercy to Ryuk about saving him but in the end just wrote his name and did his duty as the shinigami.

On the other hand I pretty much expected the anime to change the ending. I feel that there will be an OVA/Special/Extra about this though. Like the volume 13 of DN, it'll explain in more detail, reveal L's real name and the little aftermath of what happened after Light's death.

Jun 27, 2007 2:50 PM

Apr 2007
PandaPuff said:
Near is cool I don't know what you guys are talking about!

Anyway the ending for me was ok. Everything was going well til I saw Mikami stab himself (or whatever he did). After that I'm like WTF. When L appeared that made me feel better lol.

Everyone should really read volume 12 of the manga! The ending was much more effective there than the anime. I was dying to see Light beg for mercy to Ryuk about saving him but in the end just wrote his name and did his duty as the shinigami.

On the other hand I pretty much expected the anime to change the ending. I feel that there will be an OVA/Special/Extra about this though. Like the volume 13 of DN, it'll explain in more detail, reveal L's real name and the little aftermath of what happened after Light's death.

Agreed. I spoiled the ending for myself, and the way Light came to his demise sounded more... right in the manga. Although I knew that the whole "boredom" thing would come full circle in the end between Light and Ryuk. Still... it's over...
Jun 27, 2007 7:34 PM

Mar 2007
Aishiteruze said:
Also... Ryuk said that he told him that the person to write his name would be him..? He never said that! None of these episodes revealed that to me, or have I missed something?

Ryuk told him that while he was 'explaining' the contract between them. Don't remember which episode, but it was near the very beginning, so I'd say 2, maybe (?).

Anyway, during Light's whole 'breakdown' scene, I couldn't help but think, "this has got to be the worst sore loser I have *ever* seen" :D Especially when it was OBVIOUS that he was Kira and he was still crying, trying to deny it...my respect for him went down the tubes.

Well, I will probably rewatch the show when the DVDs are released....I also picked up the first 2 volumes of the manga today, so we'll see how that stacks up :)
You've come a long way, baby.
Jun 27, 2007 8:20 PM

Nov 2006
YES! IT'S FINALLY OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
/me burns Death Note off of disc, finally.

This series went downhill for me after L died...but I kept with it because I wanted to be able to say I finished it...

How can you guys say Light is awesome :<
Jun 27, 2007 8:45 PM

Apr 2007
I liked this episode, but I wish it didn't end like that. I wanted to see Light make the new world and be god of that world.
Jun 27, 2007 10:43 PM

Apr 2007
omg you ppl...

i found light's reaction (as most of your called 'going insane') was actually quite reasonable. he. just. could. not. believe. he. lost. can you believe that, after years and years being kira (not an easy job i'd say), he'd lose to a child? no wonder he was that way and trying to convince others he was not kira even when it was really obvious.

anyway.
the episode was strange. really sad, imho. i almost cried, lol. could not believe kira was defeated. i felt light's loneliness. how could they go against kira, the guy who killed all criminals? even N, deep inside, was happy someone was killing bad guys. every human on earth was. or course he'd have to make sacrifices (otou-san and whatever), but that were things for him, light alone, to decide/judge/handle (after all, they were people he knew). let's see now how the world will continue, "good guys", SPK, police and N. buncha pain in the asses.

if kira had won, death note would be like the best series ever. 'cause would prove, again, that light was meant to rule/last. but N won and that was expected.

death note was truly an amazing series and i think most of you agree with that. the kinda disappointing and sorta empty last episode, would certainly NOT take the 10 i gave to DN. kira is dead. like ryuuk said: it was good while it lasted (or something like that).
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Jun 28, 2007 12:57 AM
Apr 2006
just marathoned the last four eps...overall: 9/10 lost interest somewhere in the latter part and found myself enjoying other series more...

what's with all the blood splurting out of Mikami? omg, thought i was watching the wrong anime!! and the only "winner"...well...is Ryuk... ^^
but that Light loses it at the end...knew that cause of the spoilers...his arrogance just got the better of him. the end was cool, and calm...gave Light back some of his dignity...and dying like that alone...*sad*
Jun 28, 2007 1:30 AM

Jun 2007
windy said:

I don't.. I stopped liking light ever since he tricked rem into killing L. Damn him!

-Seigi-
Jun 28, 2007 3:44 AM

Jun 2007
I really loved it! a properly ending for a great anime.
I just felt really sad when Raito is closing his eyes and he sees the figure of L in front of him...

Jun 28, 2007 5:41 AM

Aug 2006
hounddog said:
Chelle said:
Am I the only one on this site that liked Near???

Yes. :P

I am soooooo cancelling your Christmas gift!!! >:P

and @ Aishiteruze: I completely agree. NO ONE... EVER... could replace L. It was nice to see him... sort of... one last time T_T
Jun 28, 2007 6:05 AM

Apr 2007
Aishiteruze said:
windy said:

I don't.. I stopped liking light ever since he tricked rem into killing L. Damn him!

I really liked Light while I was reading the manga, but during the anime it just seemed as though every other episode he went "Oh no, I underestimated him!" or "Arg, he got me!" only to think up some last-minute scheme to save the (his) day.

It's not the last-minute schemes that bother me - they were brilliant. Light just kept underestimating his enemies, especially Near and Mello during the second arc. In my mind, it wasn't Near that beat Light. Light let himself be beaten :/
Jun 28, 2007 7:38 AM

Jun 2007
yuuko said:
i liked the episode but i really wanted Light to win. I can't believe that stupid brat Near won. I'm soooooooooooooooooo disappointed! the moment when he is dying and he sees L in front of him was kind of sweet. I didn't expect Misa committing suicide either. Damn you Matsuda!

YES! exactly! stupid twat near won and even worse all other aizawa, matsuda & co are still alive pfff
im attempted to remove death note from my favorite anime list now
ashuraJun 28, 2007 8:23 AM
Jun 28, 2007 7:44 AM

Jun 2007
ashura said:

I think when Light saw L's figure.. it was saddening.. but that just shows they were both defeated =/

-Seigi-
Jun 28, 2007 7:59 AM

Mar 2007
Meli said:
Light let himself be beaten :/

When it comes down to it, it was all Mikami's fault it all failed. Either he shouldn't have gone to that bank, even though he knew he was followed or he should've had a page of the death note with him at all times (like Light).

If he didn't go to the bank, people might have known about the death note Mikami had with him was a fake, but they couldn't have known where the real death note was, thus phailing Near's plan.

......oh well >.>
Jun 28, 2007 8:05 AM

Jun 2007
boursk said:
Meli said:
Light let himself be beaten :/

When it comes down to it, it was all Mikami's fault it all failed. Either he shouldn't have gone to that bank, even though he knew he was followed or he should've had a page of the death note with him at all times (like Light).

If he didn't go to the bank, people might have known about the death note Mikami had with him was a fake, but they couldn't have known where the real death note was, thus phailing Near's plan.

......oh well >.>

Mikami.. what a traitor. He wanted to serve his so called "kami", and he ended up messing it all up. But then again, he shouldn't have such a strict routine because it's easy to become suspicious. *sigh* ah well. He's dead, light is dead.. everything's over.. =/

-Seigi-
Jun 28, 2007 9:27 AM
Jun 2007
im still speechless ...still cant grasp that light's end was .....THAT ??!!!

i feel strange ...sad ! i expected light to come up wid something at the last moment and win but..........dissapointment

all in all a gr8 anime ....though the ending quiet sucked for ...i WANTED light to win ....( it wud b a cool end ..well atleast for me )

ah well
Jun 28, 2007 12:24 PM

Apr 2007
badboyhorang said:
im still speechless ...still cant grasp that light's end was .....THAT ??!!!

i feel strange ...sad ! i expected light to come up wid something at the last moment and win but..........dissapointment

all in all a gr8 anime ....though the ending quiet sucked for ...i WANTED light to win ....( it wud b a cool end ..well atleast for me )

ah well

I agree. It would have been a better ending if Light had won. Still I kinda like this ending eventhough he died. I still place this anime as the best that I have ever seen.
Jun 28, 2007 3:12 PM

Aug 2006
I'd like to take this time to link this topic-http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=322&show=0 the death note manga topic.

Xinil and I had quite a lengthy discussion about the ending here, so read it and respond if you wish. (the manga and anime ending were close enough)

Anyway, seems like they tried to save Lights dignity in the anime compared to the manga. In the manga he died pathetically in front of everyone while begging for his life. Chances are he probably soiled himself as well. ;P
Jun 28, 2007 3:55 PM

Jun 2007
Although I was very much tempted to refute the ending and say it sucked and Light should have won, I realized that this was the way it had to be. In the end, Light had to wake up from his childish dream and realize that a man cannot be a god. I Think it worked very much the same for people watching DN as well. Your inner imaginative side hopes for Light to finally destroy Near and reign over world, but then brutal reality shakes you from your dream, leaving you irritated.

In regard to Light losing himself and generally going totally insane: He had fought SO hard for 6 years just to get to that final day when he could finally achieve his ONLY goal in life, and that little child (clearly inferior to L) grabbed it away from him. How would YOU feel if someone stole YOUR life?

Finally I thought Light's final moment of solitude was a perfect way for him to die. He was always quiet man, and so he should have died in peace, reflecting/regretting, whatever was going through his mind.

Hmm kind of reminds me of a song... "I tried so far and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter."

BTW: yeah, Mikami had like 45 gallons of blood shooting out of him, wtf lol.
Pages (19) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» how many people have read or watch bl ( 1 2 )

meltrix2017 - Apr 21

63 by Noelle43 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Death Note Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

itainteazy - Apr 4, 2007

393 by decco6226 »»
Apr 13, 8:10 PM

» Psychoanalyzing Light Yagami but in gen z slangs

egosumjohn - Mar 31

27 by egosumjohn »»
Apr 10, 6:53 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - Apr 15, 2009

127 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 8, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Does Death Note deserve a remake? ( 1 2 )

Kenny_Stryker - Nov 2, 2017

55 by Absurdo_N »»
Apr 8, 6:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.