Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 17, 2010 2:48 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
tsubasaloverJun 17, 2010 3:28 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jun 17, 2010 3:08 PM

Nov 2008
Interesting revelations about Ozu this episode... And we don't get a obvious time reset at the end of this episode, just the walls of the room closing in around Watashi. Also, the Master made some good points about how Watashi never seems to be happy with who he is, now matter how good or bad his life is going. Still the best show of the season, in my book.
Jun 17, 2010 5:55 PM

Aug 2009
^^Agreed. Best show. So underrated.

-OZU HAD A GIRLFRIEND! MY GOD! (that must be where he based the letters from with Keiko)

-This episode seemed to have a bit of everything from all previous eight episodes (except Johnny which made me sad). The Cycling club, Hanuki, the fireworks again (though this time, it was really funny when he screwed over Watashi), the blimp from the cult, and the fortune teller who's prices are at like the level of a used GameCube. Definitely one of those episodes rewarding the fans who saw all the previous episodes.

-Unfortunately, Watashi drove himself into a corner with Akashi-san. Funny how even fate wants him to get with her (Mochigumman following hime everywhere). That and Higuchi's speech to Watashi serve as an interesting commentary at how people get what they want and not what they want you know? Especially liked that part at how "rose-colored campus lives don't exist."

-No rewind this time. Interesting.
Jun 17, 2010 9:41 PM

Apr 2010
A little confusing as it had a little of everything from the last eight episodes. Basically summarizes how Watashi is never satisfied with life. Last 2 episodes should leave us with a more solid understanding of the story.
Jun 18, 2010 12:21 AM

Mar 2010
I really liked this episode! It explained a lot about the main plot. The major themes were revealed through the Master's speech, and the story is making a lot more sense and become a real story instead of an episode by episode thing.
Jun 18, 2010 1:49 AM
Dec 2009
In my interpretation: Everything that happens always happens in each timeline.

The only difference is the role of Watashi in the events (and sometimes the roles of the other people filling in for him).

Akashi is always in the cycling club and movie club, then changes to birdman and disciple in her second year.
Ozu always meets Kohinata-san in his first year in the tennis club and then joins the secret society to get close to her (as Honwaka is one of their branches). He also always does the fireworks to get revenge on the tennis club (or perhaps as part of a plot for the secret society). Ozu's greatest loyalty always seems to be with the Master, however.
Higuchi always reads 20,000 leagues way past its due date and then decides to go on a journey after his generation of the proxy proxy war is finished.
Ozu and Higuchi always create the film on Jougasaki's private life using the hidden camera footage captured by Aijima which was made in order to discredit Jougasaki so Aijima could impress Akashi, but ends up being used by Ozu as an attack of the proxy proxy war.
Hanuki always goes out drinking with Jougasaki after hearing that her boyfriend, Higuchi, has decided to go on a journey after the proxy proxy war is over, attempting to drown her sorrows, and is helped home by Ozu.
Ozu always infiltrates Honwaka the night of Gozan, steals the blimp intending to take away Kohinata to fly over the mountains and see all 5 giant pictures/letters at once, is always brought down by Aijima, then chased all the way to the bridge in the first episode, where a furious Aijima and Jougasaki (who thinks it was Ozu that stole Kaori, I think) are trying to get him.

Each of these parts of the story (and probably many others I'm forgetting) are basically constant... Although sometimes Watashi would be involved or replace one of the character's roles (like being Higuchi's successor instead of Akashi, or being the CCCC's leader instead of Ozu, etc...)
Jun 18, 2010 4:50 AM

Mar 2010
Yet another excellent episode from this series. Tatami Galaxy is just fantastic, no way around the fact.

So, it looks like the rewinding stuff has finally ended. I wonder how Watashi'll turn out as hikikomori :D
Jun 18, 2010 6:42 AM
May 2010
This episode made my day. That's a tough thing to do, since my day was practically (and I won't mince words) shit. The philosophy, the pathos, the tragedy, the autism of Watashi, everything contributed into the creation of a masterful, masterful episode.

My weekly post on the episode could be found here. I hope you could read and comment there!

(It's a pretty long entry, but I hope you guys enjoy it.)

Quarkboy said:
In my interpretation: Everything that happens always happens in each timeline.

The only difference is the role of Watashi in the events (and sometimes the roles of the other people filling in for him).

Akashi is always in the cycling club and movie club, then changes to birdman and disciple in her second year.
Ozu always meets Kohinata-san in his first year in the tennis club and then joins the secret society to get close to her (as Honwaka is one of their branches). He also always does the fireworks to get revenge on the tennis club (or perhaps as part of a plot for the secret society). Ozu's greatest loyalty always seems to be with the Master, however.
Higuchi always reads 20,000 leagues way past its due date and then decides to go on a journey after his generation of the proxy proxy war is finished.
Ozu and Higuchi always create the film on Jougasaki's private life using the hidden camera footage captured by Aijima which was made in order to discredit Jougasaki so Aijima could impress Akashi, but ends up being used by Ozu as an attack of the proxy proxy war.
Hanuki always goes out drinking with Jougasaki after hearing that her boyfriend, Higuchi, has decided to go on a journey after the proxy proxy war is over, attempting to drown her sorrows, and is helped home by Ozu.
Ozu always infiltrates Honwaka the night of Gozan, steals the blimp intending to take away Kohinata to fly over the mountains and see all 5 giant pictures/letters at once, is always brought down by Aijima, then chased all the way to the bridge in the first episode, where a furious Aijima and Jougasaki (who thinks it was Ozu that stole Kaori, I think) are trying to get him.

Each of these parts of the story (and probably many others I'm forgetting) are basically constant... Although sometimes Watashi would be involved or replace one of the character's roles (like being Higuchi's successor instead of Akashi, or being the CCCC's leader instead of Ozu, etc...)

Everything happens in a single timeline only that Watashi's role and the others' change too! That's great. I was wondering how episode nine seemed to summarize everything but were as if episode six to eight diverted - most of the episode seemed to focus onto the first five episodes.
physics223Jun 18, 2010 6:50 AM
Jun 18, 2010 7:23 AM
Jan 2009
It's epic.
Jun 18, 2010 7:39 AM
Dec 2009
physics223 said:

Everything happens in a single timeline only that Watashi's role and the others' change too! That's great. I was wondering how episode nine seemed to summarize everything but were as if episode six to eight diverted - most of the episode seemed to focus onto the first five episodes.

Episodes 6-8 (let's call it the "Lear Arc", shall we?) did take place in all the other timelines, it's just that we hadn't seen most of the events before, I think.

Without Watashi there, for example, there would be no pen-pal Keiko to begin with, nor would Akashi get saved by a mochiguman at a show in high school.
Hanuki would be in the english conversation circle (we know she is because in episode 5 (proxy-proxy) Higuchi says that she speaks english well), and still be hounded by her dentist and be upset about Higuchi not paying attention to her.

The day of the Proxy-proxy war finale happens, Higuchi tells Hanuki he's going to leave and she then walks off the bridge with Jougasaki asking to go out for drinks. Remember, without Watashi's existence she would have asked Jougasaki out first because she had no other friend... It's only in the Lear arc that Watashi gets asked first (and turns her down).
I suspect that it's in fact Ozu who is employed as Jougasaki's bodyguard for Kaori in the main trunk timeline, which would explain how easily Jougasaki trusted him and also why Jougasaki feels so betrayed at the end.
It was probably also Ozu who ends up taking Hanuki home after going out drinking with Jougasaki and gets attacked by her.
This was shown back in episode 1, if you recall. I'm not exactly sure the timeline works out perfectly... It could be some other time that Hanuki got smashed and Ozu had to help her home.

P.S. Any other significance you can think of why Ozu doesn't drink alcohol? It's been mentioned a number of times that Ozu never drinks.
Jun 18, 2010 7:44 AM

May 2008
Another fabulous episode, I loved how things started to come along and the real story is progressing well. I can't wait for the next~~
Jun 18, 2010 7:53 AM
May 2010
Quarkboy said:
physics223 said:

Episodes 6-8 (let's call it the "Lear Arc", shall we?) did take place in all the other timelines, it's just that we hadn't seen most of the events before, I think.

Without Watashi there, for example, there would be no pen-pal Keiko to begin with, nor would Akashi get saved by a mochiguman at a show in high school.
Hanuki would be in the english conversation circle (we know she is because in episode 5 (proxy-proxy) Higuchi says that she speaks english well), and still be hounded by her dentist and be upset about Higuchi not paying attention to her.

The day of the Proxy-proxy war finale happens, Higuchi tells Hanuki he's going to leave and she then walks off the bridge with Jougasaki asking to go out for drinks. Remember, without Watashi's existence she would have asked Jougasaki out first because she had no other friend... It's only in the Lear arc that Watashi gets asked first (and turns her down).
I suspect that it's in fact Ozu who is employed as Jougasaki's bodyguard for Kaori in the main trunk timeline, which would explain how easily Jougasaki trusted him and also why Jougasaki feels so betrayed at the end.
It was probably also Ozu who ends up taking Hanuki home after going out drinking with Jougasaki and gets attacked by her.
This was shown back in episode 1, if you recall. I'm not exactly sure the timeline works out perfectly... It could be some other time that Hanuki got smashed and Ozu had to help her home.

P.S. Any other significance you can think of why Ozu doesn't drink alcohol? It's been mentioned a number of times that Ozu never drinks.

I'm convinced. I hope you don't take offense if I use your hypothesis and try to defend it.

There's also the significance of your use of Lear because his second movie was about a man having problems with three women. Foreshadowing?

And his first was a battle of wills between two men, and these two were Watashi and ...

oh my god, I have to write on this tomorrow.
Jun 18, 2010 7:56 AM
Dec 2009
physics223 said:

I'm convinced. I hope you don't take offense if I use your hypothesis and try to defend it.

There's also the significance of your use of Lear because his second movie was about a man having problems with three women. Foreshadowing?

And his first was a battle of wills between two men, and these two were Watashi and ...

oh my god, I have to write on this tomorrow.

You didn't notice that his indie films were all foreshadowing? Tsk Tsk. Would should be getting to the final one next episode.
Jun 18, 2010 8:02 AM
May 2010
I noticed that the third was foreshadowing because of episode five, but I just realized that the second one was, too, especially after the three episode arc. I also thought about one path, just that I couldn't really place the sixth to eighth episodes until you've made things clearer. So thanks for that. That was actually what I said in the bottom of the post - the initial hypothesis doesn't seem to hold since the sixth to eighth episode didn't really allude much to the previous episodes, so I was thinking that one to five was the true path and six to eight were just deviations.

Yours is much clearer, however. I'll try to build that up tomorrow. Thank you.
Jun 18, 2010 8:38 AM
Jun 2008
I have a feeling that Ozu is Watashi's target of "Rosy life" and also part of Watashi's conscious .I don't think Ozu the name itself even exist in reality.Well people who is lonely like Watashi will .........mayb not ^^
Well anyway,
Feel as if this episode is like a flashback of all the episode I have seen.Very nice ^^
It seem Watashi has a past memory in all the circle.Well ,every new episode is a new life,kinda envy Watashi .
Watashi is asking for too much for his life >.<
There is no rewind.....does that means the story start now?Damn sad ,Watashi has given up!!!!
Jun 18, 2010 10:15 AM

Nov 2008
MorningGlory said:
I have a feeling that Ozu is Watashi's target of "Rosy life" and also part of Watashi's conscious .I don't think Ozu the name itself even exist in reality.Well people who is lonely like Watashi will .........mayb not ^^

In episode seven, we see Ozu's human face in a scene that Watashi isn't involved in, so no, Ozu is human and he exists outside of Watashi's subconscious.

This episode seems to make the argument that the "rosy life" is different for different people depending on what you do with your situation--throughout the entire series, Watashi blames other people, circumstances, etc., for not being able to achieve his "rosy life" and doesn't realize that his attitude is the problem. Meanwhile, Ozu has gained everything that Watashi wants by enjoying what life has given him.
Jun 18, 2010 12:13 PM
Mar 2008
That was incredible.
I think I'm going to have to watch it again before I can sort out all my thoughts on it, haha.

On a basic level, though, I was really pleased with the character development in this one- Aijima /intentionally/ playing the idiot for Jougasaki, Ozu being a lovesick fool at heart, and the master being given a more serious treatment.
Jun 18, 2010 1:16 PM
Jul 2018
No rewind -- and I dont think we're getting any more. With two episodes left, I think this is the first episode of the last arc. He'll fix things up in the next two episodes.
Jun 18, 2010 3:10 PM

Nov 2009
What would fixing things exactly be though? Does that signify that he will obtain a rose-colored campus life? However that would contradict with the line of events, unless he takes the place of someone like Ozu? I think the only thing he can fix is giving the mugimachi(horrible spelling i am aware ^.^) doll back for once.

The shows i love intertwine the stories craftily like this. They are not just complete flashbacks. While it is confusing it makes it so much more interesting to watch.
Jun 18, 2010 3:31 PM

Dec 2007
This episode seemed to be speed out fast for me. It didn't feel like 20 minutes have passed.

I'm really liking this show, even though it's confusing, but a fun watch.
Jun 18, 2010 4:45 PM
Dec 2009
I think there will be one more rewind before the end, though perhaps not the same way.

Here's a prediction for episode 10 (note, I have not seen or read the script yet for it):

The only way to escape the maze of tatami rooms will be for him to turn out the light. Which will, of course, require "grabbing the opportunity dangling in front of him"
Jun 18, 2010 4:50 PM
Dec 2007
"Of course I did not say that. I instead chose a strategic withdrawal."

Made me burst out laughing.

Coming back to the subject, this episode had som many interesting developments and was so fantastic from an artistic point of view that it was close to pure genius. In fact, the whole second part of the episode where the narrator's pondering his existence and the sense of his campus life after his last meeting with Higushi was simply breathtaking in terms of writing and direction.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 18, 2010 8:12 PM
May 2010
Hello, guys! I attempted to illustrate Quarkboy's wonderful interpretation into the timeline of the episodes and compared as well as contrasted it to my own (arrived at in the previous episode). Please read my comparative and comprehensive (his) interpretations of The Tatami Galaxy's timeline!
Jun 18, 2010 9:30 PM

Dec 2008
My goodness. This show is intelligent, breath-taking, and something I'm going to have to watch at least three times to really get.

Most of the main developments in this episode have already been pointed out and analyzed (over-analyzed, sweet Jesus, the precision!), but the thing that stuck out to me was the development between Akashi and Watashi. It's been (oh, so heavily) hinted that they need to get together in some way in every episode, but we've never gotten a clear confirmation of Watashi's feelings for Akashi before. They've always been a few points up from indifference.

Watashi has also never been so clearly rejected/reprimanded/disapproved of/BITCH SLAPPED by Akashi before either.

After, when he said, "But why does my heart ache?" (not verbatim, it's not like I took notes), I thought, "Ah, the cat's outta the bag. Hot damn." That was where I wanted the development, and that was where I got it. This was a great episode.
Jun 18, 2010 10:42 PM
May 2010
DrRoboto said:
My goodness. This show is intelligent, breath-taking, and something I'm going to have to watch at least three times to really get.

Most of the main developments in this episode have already been pointed out and analyzed (over-analyzed, sweet Jesus, the precision!), but the thing that stuck out to me was the development between Akashi and Watashi. It's been (oh, so heavily) hinted that they need to get together in some way in every episode, but we've never gotten a clear confirmation of Watashi's feelings for Akashi before. They've always been a few points up from indifference.

Watashi has also never been so clearly rejected/reprimanded/disapproved of/BITCH SLAPPED by Akashi before either.

After, when he said, "But why does my heart ache?" (not verbatim, it's not like I took notes), I thought, "Ah, the cat's outta the bag. Hot damn." That was where I wanted the development, and that was where I got it. This was a great episode.

Do you remember what Watashi asked of Ozu in his incomplete, final film in the second episode?

He asks him (her): 'Omae wa itsumo watashi ni tsukimatotte kureru ne [said in such a somber and serious tone] (Why do you always haunt me so?)'

Ozu (the girl) replies: 'It's how I show my love.'

I think it applies all too well with Akashi and Watashi. Akashi's slap haunts him despite his wealth and 'popularity.'
Jun 19, 2010 12:24 AM
Jun 2008
lostinabook said:

In episode seven, we see Ozu's human face in a scene that Watashi isn't involved in, so no, Ozu is human and he exists outside of Watashi's subconscious.

Ya that is what i think also,that is why i am a bit hesitate to say such.During episode 7,Watashi has made decision to love and his mind must has been disrupted .
But i always has the question in my mind " Who is Ozu,?? "If he exist in reality ,why he always appear near Watashi every episode? ...maybe its just pure coincidence....won't hurt if I take a guess LOL
Jun 19, 2010 6:28 AM
May 2010
Ozu and Watashi are tied by the black string of fate. It was just cut by Ozu this episode, freeing himself and Watashi from mutual destruction. Now Watashi has to work for his love, and he has to realize that life is what one makes it.
Jun 19, 2010 10:22 AM

Dec 2008
physics223 said:
DrRoboto said:

Do you remember what Watashi asked of Ozu in his incomplete, final film in the second episode?

He asks him (her): 'Omae wa itsumo watashi ni tsukimatotte kureru ne [said in such a somber and serious tone] (Why do you always haunt me so?)'

Ozu (the girl) replies: 'It's how I show my love.'

I think it applies all too well with Akashi and Watashi. Akashi's slap haunts him despite his wealth and 'popularity.'

Didn't he say that in the end of the first episode also, right before he was shoved into the river? I seem to remember something along those lines.

It's so true with Akashi and Watashi, though. I can't wait to see it when he finally gets slapped in the face with the truth (he already was a little bit though, I suppose).
Jun 19, 2010 11:02 AM

Mar 2010
Tatami galaxy is a very unique to my taste of anime, but it does offer a different experience-cant wait to see what happens

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jun 19, 2010 11:49 AM

Aug 2009
Waaaah, it's ending in two episodes!

Though the way it's been planned out, I think we'll be in for a satisfying conclusion.
Jun 19, 2010 4:25 PM

Jul 2009
This episode was great. I can't wait to see the rest, though I would rather it not end.