Forum Settings
Forums

(Bug - Moderate) My Anime List Custom Tags Broken [Temp fix inside]

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 27, 2010 11:00 AM

Nov 2009
Having the same problem in Firefox 3.6.4 and IE 7 (all script and ad blocking are disabled). Please fix this bug - it is quite the handy feature when it works, and is one of the main reasons I liked this site, thanks in advance.
Jul 29, 2010 8:16 PM

Mar 2007
I'm having the exact same problem... any help with this is much appreciated
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Ranivus&tag=comedy

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Aug 1, 2010 10:00 PM

Mar 2007
Any updates about this issue?

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Aug 8, 2010 10:59 PM

Mar 2010
Please don't forget to fix it.

Aug 15, 2010 4:35 AM

Jan 2009
kwizatz said:
Please don't forget to fix it.
Aug 15, 2010 9:07 AM

Aug 2008
Yes, it's been what.. over two months now? Between tags not working and "show all" being completely disabled for larger lists, my list is now completely unusable. Why bring back show all (for only some), yet kill off one of the most useful filtering options on our list? I see no difference in site performance, other than usability being crippled.
Aug 22, 2010 2:13 AM

Oct 2009
My turn to re-up this post.
Aug 23, 2010 6:12 PM
Mar 2008
shinkeikaku said:
Between tags not working and "show all" being completely disabled for larger lists, my list is now completely unusable.

This.
Guess it's time to start using an Excel spreadsheet until the tag functionality returns.
Sep 16, 2010 1:45 PM

Apr 2009
Oh, comeon, Xinil, Kineta! Is it really so troublesome to inform us with a few words like 'we are aware about this issue and plan to fix it soon' or 'we intend to leave it how it is'? This feature is really missed, but well, not knowing what to expect is even worse.
Sep 16, 2010 6:00 PM

Oct 2008
... It's been 3 months... WTF?! I'm starting to wish there was an alternative site to this one. What's the point if they never fix the bugs? I mean, has ANYTHING been fixed with any issues since June?
Sep 16, 2010 6:57 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Well x4m, considering it's in the "Read this before posting" thread and I believe was in an announcement thread, yes we are aware of it :)

I understand that this is a really important feature for some people. Unfortunately, we've been having some other problems that have been taking priority over fixing this one. It is on the list and will be seen to as soon as possible. Please be patient for a while longer.

Also, please note: I do not develop the site nor fix bugs.
Oct 17, 2010 4:33 PM

Feb 2010
It's time for the Monthly push of this topic I think :)
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 17, 2010 7:55 PM
Oct 2009
Yup. Still dead as ever.
Dec 5, 2010 2:29 AM

Nov 2009
Kineta said:

If that is the case, is there open source code so that we can work towards a fix?
Dec 5, 2010 2:32 AM

Oct 2009
And a database dump too so we can debug easily :-°
Dec 5, 2010 10:23 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
siutou said:
If that is the case, is there open source code so that we can work towards a fix?
No.
Dec 6, 2010 12:45 AM

Nov 2009
Kineta said:
siutou said:
No.

I don't quite understand - could you please elaborate?
No, it's not open source?
No, you don't want free help debugging the issue?
No, <insert company name> would have to hire us in order to help / the stuff is proprietary?
Dec 19, 2010 11:35 PM
Aug 2010
I know you’re aware of the problem, but it’s been a long time : (
That would be great if you fixed it...

Dec 28, 2010 12:31 PM

Oct 2009
More than 6 months since this feature is broken. Maybe it's time to schedule the fix?
Dec 29, 2010 6:03 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
I haven't forgotten about this, trust me, shinkeikaku won't let me :P But you see the horrendous lag affecting the rest of the site? We're kind of trying to deal with that at the moment. For now, that's taking priority.

@siutou: No, the code is not open source. If you see the team page, you'll note that we have one coder.
Kineta said:
Jan 22, 2011 5:37 PM

Mar 2010
No it's my turn... PUSH

Please do something about that feature...

I've never noticed any huge laggs or slow loading so far, but tags not working is a big issue in my oppinion.
And as I as a programmer know, fixing this shouldn't be such a huge problem...
Jan 25, 2011 6:23 PM

Feb 2010
I'm all for repairing the tag function, but if you haven't noticed any lags than that's maybe because you only have 2 posts in the forum so far. They are there, they are huge and I can't complain if that takes priority. But the second priority should be the tags :P
Jan 26, 2011 9:05 AM

Jun 2008
A pretty annoying bug indeed. I love tags. Do something about it, onegai desu.

hugging six rabbits and having pink nightmares
Jan 31, 2011 12:53 AM

Nov 2009
@siutou: No, the code is not open source. If you see the team page, you'll note that we have one coder.
Kineta said:

Yes, I realize there is only one coder - which is why I am offering to help.... and I'm sure there is more than just one person on MAL who codes and could also help. But I guess we can't do much if the code is unavail...
Jun 10, 2011 2:41 PM

Jan 2011
I've waited some time hoping it will be fixed, but it seamed that the feature is not at a high priority.
So I decided to put together some JavaScript...

This is a userscript, which you can add to your browser to enable specific processing to MAL animelist and mangalist pages.
The script is cross-browser. I've personally tested it on Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome and Midori, both on Windows and Linux, and it worked excellent. IE doesn't have userscript support without installing some really buggy add-ons, so I do not consider it. Also, I don't have a Mac, so I was unable to check if it works on Safari, but version for Windows draws with itself the whole QuickTime framework with stuff, and I definitely don't want to deal with that sh*t. So if someone will check and report on Safari it would be appreciable.

Here is the script: http://pastebin.com/zBTGiuQd
outdated, please use the latest version here: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=33957

It does everything, except, of course, does not update the category stats beneath each table. Those will still be shown for all entries in the category. Though I don't really know how this was working in the original feature, since I joined when it was already broken.

Now if you don't know how to enable:

In Firefox:
1. Install «Greasemonkey» extension.
2. Create a new script using it.
3. Replace all of its content with this scripts content, and save.
4. Don't forget to turn on Greasemonkey.
p.s.: Or just click on the link in this post after installing GM.

In Opera:
1. Press Ctrl+F12.
2. Go to «Advanced» tab.
3. Go to Content --> JavaScript Options.
4. Chose «User Javascript folder».
5. Place the script into chosen folder.

In Google Chrome:
1. Open the script with Google Chrome.
2. Install it.

In Midori:
1. Go to Tools --> Userscripts.
2. Press «Add» in the side panel.
3. A window will appear telling you the location to place scripts.
4. Place the script in that folder.
5. Restart Midori.

The script will only work on MAL list pages, so it will not affect performance of other pages at all.

Please post if it works for you or not.

Version 1.2 Changes:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=231638&show=40#msg11016468

Mod Edit: Replaced dead link to the script with a working link (version 1.2).
Ash88Oct 20, 2012 3:22 AM
Jun 10, 2011 3:17 PM

Aug 2008
Works for me (Firefox, Opera). Oh how I missed my tags. Brilliant.
Jun 10, 2011 3:19 PM

Oct 2007
I love you <3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 10, 2011 3:27 PM

May 2008
Looks solid to me... is the conditional regex the only way to do it cross-browser -- I thought you can just specify the effected urls in the header. Anyhow, nice work.

In firefox, you just need to install GM and click your link.
sakaJun 10, 2011 3:30 PM

I am a banana.
Jun 10, 2011 3:32 PM

Jan 2011
saka said:
Looks solid to me... is the conditional regex the only way to do it cross-browser -- I thought you can just specify the affected urls in the header.
Yes, as far as I know the includes in the header only work in firefox and chrome.

saka said:
In firefox, you just need to install GM and click your link.
Oh... ok. So I will skip the repository part)
Jun 12, 2011 9:34 AM

Feb 2008
Hmm, the script doesn't work terribly well when your default status isn't "Show All" or when you only want to see tags in one category like "Completed". Is there any way to fix that? Maybe something that changes the links to include the statuses?
Jun 12, 2011 9:56 PM

Jan 2011
kuroshiroi said:
Hmm, the script doesn't work terribly well when your default status isn't "Show All" or when you only want to see tags in one category like "Completed". Is there any way to fix that? Maybe something that changes the links to include the statuses?
Well.. this is actually a MAL issue. It changes to default status when you click a tag.

But anyway.. I've updated the script to edit the tag links according to the current status and order. I've also noticed there is a parameter named «show», but i didn't manage to grasp that it does. So I just left it alone.

OK now, attention please...

The latest version of the script will be available by this address:
http://alexsh.fileave.com/devel/web/userscript/mal_tags/latest/mal_tags.user.js

All the old versions will be placed here:
http://alexsh.fileave.com/devel/web/userscript/mal_tags/old/
I've moved the first version there too.

outdated, please use the latest version here: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=33957

Please test the latest one and post.
Ash88Oct 20, 2012 3:22 AM
Jun 13, 2011 12:44 AM

Feb 2008
Nice! Works perfectly now (using the latest Opera), thanks :)
Jun 13, 2011 12:55 AM

Oct 2009
You know something's not being done right when you have users finding solutions for problems.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 13, 2011 1:32 AM

Jan 2011
One thing I forgot to tell...

If you're an Opera user, then I suggest you to rename the script to «mal_tags.js» (remove the «.user» part from file name). This way Opera will execute the script immediately and the malTags function will be launched on «DomContentLoaded» event instead of «load» event. So you won't have to wait until your heavy background image is loaded.

But this is only for Opera!
Other browsers only accept «.user.js» and also they can't execute userscript before «DomContentLoaded» with a guarantee.
Jul 9, 2011 2:21 PM

Jan 2011
Version 1.2 is up!
Link: http://alexsh.fileave.com/devel/web/userscript/mal_tags/latest/mal_tags.user.js

Changes from version 1.1:

- New:
  • An expandable list at the top of the page with all available different custom tags in the selected status.
    Tags are sorted alphabetically.
    List shows up only when at least one tag is available.
  • A link to reload the page without a tag, but preserving status and order.
    Link shows up only when the tag parameter is present.
  • You can style the above two novelties and each of their components individually by editing the following stylesheet and using it in your MAL custom list style: http://alexsh.fileave.com/devel/web/userscript/mal_tags/stylesheets/mal_tags_v1_2.css
- Improvements:
  • Now also works with older browser versions (Firefox 3.0+, Opera 9.52+, Chrome, Midori).
  • A lot of optimization.

Enjoy! ^_^
Ash88Oct 20, 2012 3:32 AM
Jul 9, 2011 3:21 PM

Feb 2008
¡Ay, caramba!

Very nice.
Jul 9, 2011 8:37 PM

Aug 2008
omnomnom I like the available custom tags. Forgot about some of those~
Oct 17, 2011 1:06 PM

Feb 2010
Great Thanks to Ash88!
Finally I can use my tags :) :)
Oct 17, 2011 2:04 PM

Aug 2009
Holy shit, I love you so much.
Dec 28, 2011 2:12 PM

Jun 2011
Sorry for digging the thread up, but... Could someone please reupload the script for fixin' tags? I lost mine in a cleanup and it would appear that the link posted above is down permanently :(
Jan 1, 2012 2:35 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Kurisu666 said:
Sorry for digging the thread up, but... Could someone please reupload the script for fixin' tags? I lost mine in a cleanup and it would appear that the link posted above is down permanently :(

The mirror is still working :)

ftp://84.245.201.6/devel/web/userscript/mal_tags/latest/mal_tags.user.js
LunaJan 1, 2012 2:38 AM
Jan 19, 2012 4:26 PM
Dec 2011
Digging this thread up. It seems the issue still hasn't been fixed yet and all previous links are dead D:

Can someone repost?
Jan 19, 2012 10:39 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Oh, now even the mirror is down...

Good that I made a copy here :)
May 1, 2012 11:57 PM

Dec 2008
Hi helpful person!

For me it works for Opera, but not for firefox. D:
I have the script ready, but when I try to browse it with Greasemonkey it can only open executable files and I'm unable to select it... Am I doing anything wrong? Thanks a lot :3
May 13, 2012 11:36 PM

Jan 2009
Ash88 said:

Please test the latest one and post.

Works perfectly with Opera (11.64)

Thanks a bunch Ash,was looking for a script like that for a while. And of course, to Luna for providing the link.
You two are awesome
Manga Sorted By Theme                         Anime Sorted By Theme
Oct 18, 2012 6:25 AM

Jan 2011
Hi guys. I'm back.

Firs of all, thanks for replacing the dead links. The service where I was hosting the project seems to be down for some time already. The mirror I gave, however, was working, but not 24/7, since it was on my work machine.

Anyway, I'm here to tell that I have wrote another new version of the script and placed the project to userscripts.org.

The link to the project now is:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/150384

And it will have update notifications from now on (on browsers which support this).

Changes from version 1.2:

* New:
  • Now this script also fixes the character issue in tags on anime/manga lists.
    Bug described here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=305051
    This includes:
    * Pre-encoding tags before saving, so that the website page would accept all characters, and would not break the html layout.
    * Encoding the tags in href attributes (also in status and table header links).
* Improvements:
  • Added include rules, for script to not be executed at all in Firefox and Chrome if not on an animelist/mangalist page.
    The check at the beginning still preserved for script to work in some other browsers.
  • Added grant rule for compatibility with recent Greasemonkey releases.
  • The script now replaces the updated tag href attributes right after the save. They are usable without a page reload.
    (This DOES NOT include dynamically updating Available Custom Tags block, for now at least. ^_- )
  • More optimization.

I've also created a club for this whole thing: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=33957 :) Just join, and you will always have access to the script from your profile page in few clicks.

Enjoy!
Nov 2, 2012 4:07 PM

Apr 2011
Ash88 said:
Hi guys. I'm back.

Firs of all, thanks for replacing the dead links. The service where I was hosting the project seems to be down for some time already. The mirror I gave, however, was working, but not 24/7, since it was on my work machine.

Anyway, I'm here to tell that I have wrote another new version of the script and placed the project to userscripts.org.

The link to the project now is:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/150384

And it will have update notifications from now on (on browsers which support this).

Changes from version 1.2:

* New:
  • Now this script also fixes the character issue in tags on anime/manga lists.
    Bug described here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=305051
    This includes:
    * Pre-encoding tags before saving, so that the website page would accept all characters, and would not break the html layout.
    * Encoding the tags in href attributes (also in status and table header links).
* Improvements:
  • Added include rules, for script to not be executed at all in Firefox and Chrome if not on an animelist/mangalist page.
    The check at the beginning still preserved for script to work in some other browsers.
  • Added grant rule for compatibility with recent Greasemonkey releases.
  • The script now replaces the updated tag href attributes right after the save. They are usable without a page reload.
    (This DOES NOT include dynamically updating Available Custom Tags block, for now at least. ^_- )
  • More optimization.

I've also created a club for this whole thing: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=33957 :) Just join, and you will always have access to the script from your profile page in few clicks.

Enjoy!

Super! Now I can discard the script I published on userscripts.org. lol
Nov 2, 2012 10:00 PM

Jan 2011
zanetu said:
Super! Now I can discard the script I published on userscripts.org. lol
Sorry, I didn't know someone else was working on this. The search on userscripts.org did not give any results for me.
Dec 2, 2012 11:58 PM
Dec 2012
Sorry for digging up this thread, but I just downloaded the script... and have no idea how it works, or how to view the tags. Can someone please help me?
Dec 3, 2012 12:09 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Have you installed it already? If not, you can find instructions here.

The script only works on lists that have tags enabled and specified. Then you can click one tag in the list and will get all entries that have this tag. So it filters the list by tags. There's also an "Available Custom Tags" at the top, when you click this it will show you all available tags in this list.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Backup

Vapor_AU - 3 hours ago

1 by pichipichiHiro »»
3 hours ago

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3368 by L2Dragon »»
5 hours ago

» ishinashi has 300 alt accounts and counting ( 1 2 3 )

deg - Jun 16, 2023

125 by traed »»
6 hours ago

» MAL Export

Devileeee - Sep 25, 2023

3 by zororo12 »»
Yesterday, 3:52 AM

» Problem with API OAuth2 Authentication Login

bidgetfoss_4000 - Yesterday

0 by bidgetfoss_4000 »»
Yesterday, 3:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.