Forum Settings
Forums

Anime/Manga Stats Bug (Ghost Entries)

New
Jun 12, 2010 12:20 PM
Feb 2009
Few days ago Evangelion Re-take (20202) appeared in database so I set it as completed and less than an hour latter it was deleted from database. However, manga stats on my profile page still count them as completed. Even though I have 299 completed manga on my manga list, manga status on my profile says I have completed 300 manga.

I know it's nothing important but it's starting to annoy me a bit. And I am pretty sure it's because I set Re-take thing as completed because when I go to Edit Manga List, the first entry is Re-take but I can't edit or remove it at all.

For the most recent fix, please go to this post.
_Ghost_Oct 15, 2015 3:06 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 12, 2010 12:37 PM

Feb 2008
To remove ghost entries or (?) entries and thus fix your stats:
You will have to do a little "hacking" to fix this and you'll need Opera, since it allows you to edit the page source on the fly. Firebug works too, I hear. Do not refresh or close any tabs while doing this.

0. Download Opera/Firebug, install it and sign into MAL. You need to edit two things in anime cases and 1 in manga cases.

1. Go to your manga/anime edit list and note the ID of the missing relevant entry by hovering over the (?) at the top of the list, the ID is the number at the end of the link. As an example, let's say the ID is 10000.

2. Go to "edit" on an existing entry (let's say its ID is 200) and right click > Source.

3. Locate lines that look something like this (1 line for manga, 2 lines for anime):
Manga: <input type="hidden" name="manga_id" id="mangaid" value="200">

Anime: <input type="hidden" name="anime_db_series_id" value="200">
<input type="hidden" name="series_title" id="animeid" value="200"/>

If you're having trouble finding it, just search for <h1>Edit Manga List</h1> or <h1>Edit Anime</h1> first and those lines should be just below it.

4. Replace 200 with 10000, and hit Apply Changes. Do no refresh anything and do not close anything yet. Finally, switch to the edit tab again.

5. Hit Delete on the edit tab and if you've done it correctly, the (?) should now be gone.

6. ???

7. Profit.
Possible problems: Not using Opera or Firebug or not hitting Apply Changes. It is also possible that there have been some changes in the underlying code structure or it might even be possible that ghost entries can not be deleted anymore. If you feel you've tried everything, let me know and I'll see if I can figure it out again :)
kuroshiroiMar 28, 2011 3:08 AM
Jun 12, 2010 2:17 PM
Feb 2009
Thank you very much, it's fixed now.
Aug 1, 2010 7:42 AM

Jul 2009
I tried to do what Kuroshiroi explained but it didn't work. ç__ç What can I do?
Sep 7, 2010 7:36 AM

Jan 2009
doesn't work for me. deletes existing entry anyway.
Sorry for grammar mistakes(if any), english is not my native language. Feel free to correct me if you see some.
Sep 7, 2010 12:20 PM

Feb 2008
Did you use Opera and did you hit Apply Changes on the View Source page?
Sep 7, 2010 4:53 PM

Jan 2009
Yup.
Downloaded opera, logged in, opened edit page of existing valid entry, opened source code, replaced the anime_db_series_id value number onto the "ghost" one, hit "apply changes" and then "delete", and it deleted the entry I was editing. Tried twice. Tried even to insert the id on the edit page of the "ghost" entries. That way it didn't delete anything, though.
Sorry for grammar mistakes(if any), english is not my native language. Feel free to correct me if you see some.
Sep 8, 2010 8:13 AM

Feb 2008
Looks like Xinil has made some changes in the recent past. You'll need to edit the Edit link ID as well.

So make note of this type of link on the Edit page: http://myanimelist.net/editlist.php?type=anime&id=24722473 and find this part in the view source: <input type="hidden" name="series_id" value="24722415"> and replace accordingly.

Bummer... I'll edit my post above too.
Sep 8, 2010 8:39 AM

Jan 2009
Tried twice...Still deletes a valid entry ._.
Maybe I'm doing smth wrong, though. Anyway, thank you.
I think I'm just gonna get used to these 2 extra entries in my list=).
Sep 14, 2010 7:17 PM

Mar 2008
I tried several times and those steps also resulted in me deleting a valid entry.
Sep 27, 2010 10:49 AM

Jul 2009
Could an administrator fix it for us using the admin control panel, since we can't do it by ourselves?
HoroTheWiseWolfSep 27, 2010 3:20 PM
Oct 19, 2010 4:43 AM

Jan 2009
Actually this thing
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=105222&show=0#msg8089378
just worked with me today.
Oct 20, 2010 10:55 AM

Mar 2008
ariapokoteng said:
Actually this thing
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=105222&show=0#msg8089378
just worked with me today.

Lucky. I can't get either of them to work for me, and instead I keep deleting relevant entries.
Oct 21, 2010 3:48 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
I did what you first suggested and it worked just fine for me . I had 6 invalid entries on my manga list and took them all out . Only the 2nd time I deleted an existing manga but I think that was cause I didn't reopen the source page cause the rest of times it worked perfectly . Thank you very much for the help ^-^

EDIT: I tried deleting the one ghost entry in my animelist but it keeps deleting the existing one . Did everything you said but nothing :c
MaffyOct 21, 2010 4:34 AM
Oct 21, 2010 5:17 AM

Feb 2008
Bah, another change it seems. I'll update the instructions then...
Oct 21, 2010 6:29 AM
Oct 2010
I've tried doing what was suggested in the first post and I've gotten my manga stats to show but my anime stats do not . Maybe I'm not doing it correctly or something since I'm not too good with this type of thing. Wasn't sure if this was the right forum to post for an answer.

Edit: Just saw the announcement that the stats should be updating again and so I'm not sure if my issue applies anymore.
YukianesaOct 21, 2010 6:38 AM
Oct 21, 2010 8:06 AM
Aug 2009
I have a ghost entry in my anime list but I can't deleting with that instructions
Oct 21, 2010 8:57 AM

Mar 2008
It's still not working for me ;~;
Oct 21, 2010 10:21 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
Yeah , didn't work again :c I tried the same id numbers and the same edit numbers and even swapped places just in case but it still deleted the existing one :c
Oct 21, 2010 11:47 AM

Feb 2008
It works for me on two existing entries, you only need to note the ID and not the edit number in order for this to work. You do need to make two changes, both of which are noted in my instructions.

If this still doesn't work, and you've confirmed that you did hit "apply changes", then try it for two random existing entries. If you can remove one, using the other's edit screen, then it might simply not be possible to remove ghost entries. I find that unlikely but it's possible.

tl;dr: Try adding two random anime entries to your lists and removing one using the other's edit screen.
Oct 21, 2010 12:40 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
Added a random and tried deleting through another anime's edit screen but still it keeps deleting itself . And I don't think I'm doing anything wrong , I'm typing the id number in both lines and ofc hitting "Apply Changes" .

Oh well , it proly doesn't work for everyone I guess :/ At least it fixed the 6 ghost entries in mangalist and that's something ! Thanx anyway <3
Oct 22, 2010 8:45 PM

Mar 2008
Maffy said:
Added a random and tried deleting through another anime's edit screen but still it keeps deleting itself . And I don't think I'm doing anything wrong , I'm typing the id number in both lines and ofc hitting "Apply Changes" .

The same thing keeps happening to me. It still keeps deleting itself. I guess at this point we'll just have to deal with the stupid ghost entries, since it appears that nothing else can be done about them. :|
Oct 23, 2010 4:44 AM

Feb 2008
I've edited my instructions to make them a bit clearer. I've also confirmed this still works for ghost entries, so try again. I'm using Opera 10.63 if that matters.

Also, since this wasn't very clear before: Do not refresh or close tabs while doing this.
Oct 23, 2010 8:56 AM

Nov 2007
Hmmm.... I tried as you instructed, but nothing happened (probably because MAL is lagging again...).

It really deleted other existed entry like others said.

And because MAL is lagging, I cannot add that entry that got deleted now.
tsubasaloverOct 23, 2010 10:16 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 23, 2010 7:36 PM

Mar 2008
kuroshiroi said:
I've edited my instructions to make them a bit clearer. I've also confirmed this still works for ghost entries, so try again. I'm using Opera 10.63 if that matters.

Also, since this wasn't very clear before: Do not refresh or close tabs while doing this.

Are you sure this works for ghost anime entries, and not just manga ones? Getting tired of accidentally deleting good series from my list ;~;
Oct 24, 2010 3:41 AM

Feb 2008
@ueda: Yes, I tried it for a ghost anime entry by adding one to my list (more hacking, don't ask). Just add two random entries to your list to try this out (i.e. try to do this on normal, not ghost, entries first), no need to use your good entries, I never do.

For the sake of clarity: Add two random entries, remove one using the other's edit screen and if that works, use the remaining random entry to remove the ghost entry. There is absolutely no reason that I could find for why removing ghost entries wouldn't work.

I also asked another moderator to try this and it worked for him so I can only imagine you're doing something wrong or there is some kind of hidden reason in the code. He pointed out some unclear parts to me though, which is why I edited the instructions.
Oct 24, 2010 4:16 AM

Nov 2007
I tried again since MAL is working normally, and it still deletes the random entry I added, but not the ghost entry even if I tried following your instruction (I tried several time).

I also just added an anime to the list and the stat doesn't add it.
tsubasaloverOct 24, 2010 4:20 AM
Oct 24, 2010 4:30 AM

Feb 2008
Stats are down again...

Let's try something else then, no other entries then since I realised the edit button actually works for (anime) ghost entries. Yeah, I know, should have figured this out a long time ago :)

1. Hit edit on a ghost entry.

2. Find the two lines, as before, and add the relevant ID number to them, since they're missing completely. I'll add some code to illustrate which two lines you should be editing; it's the ---------- fields.

3. Apply changes.

4. Switch to the edit tab again. Do not close anything and do not hit refresh.

5. Hit delete.

Let me know what happens?
Oct 24, 2010 5:07 AM

Nov 2007
I did the change in the source and pressed "Apply changes", but it still says "You did not select an anime title from the Anime Database." when deleting.
Oct 24, 2010 5:34 AM

Feb 2008
The way I see it, there are only two explanations, you guys are making some kind of mistake or there is some difference in the way your ghost entries are being handled by MAL. We can figure out which one it is by one of you allowing an administrator into your account to see if they can remove the ghost entries.

This would involve changing your password to a new (random) one and giving them that password, they would then try to remove ghost entries, and then tell you (and me) the results, at which point you'd log back in and change your password back.

Administrators can already change your password, so there is no new chance of abuse there. I'm not an administrator but I will try to find a willing one, so if anybody here is willing to try this, let us know.
Oct 24, 2010 3:28 PM

Mar 2008
kuroshiroi said:
Stats are down again...

Let's try something else then, no other entries then since I realised the edit button actually works for (anime) ghost entries. Yeah, I know, should have figured this out a long time ago :)

2. Find the two lines, as before, and add the relevant ID number to them, since they're missing completely. I'll add some code to illustrate which two lines you should be editing; it's the ---------- fields.

3. Apply changes.

5. Hit delete.

That worked for me. Thanks so much!
Oct 25, 2010 9:48 AM

Feb 2008
I'm so confused all of a sudden, lol. Good that it worked for you, seems like it was user error...
Oct 26, 2010 1:04 AM

Nov 2007
Then it must be something I did wrong... I'm not good at this kind of stuff and I probably did something wrong without knowing which one because what I can only do is to try to follow the instruction.
Oct 30, 2010 5:54 AM

Oct 2010
Well, I'm a bit confused, since I'm new here, but could that problem be connected with the problem I have, and that is: My anime stats won't update for some reason, even tough I added about a dozen of animes every value is set to 0.

0.o
Nov 26, 2010 9:07 AM
Aug 2009
I tried with the both method, but don't work
Dec 3, 2010 5:16 AM
Oct 2010
Everything worked... I followed the last instructions about changing 2 lines + in the line
<strong></strong> (<a href="http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?id=">Info</a>;;) <input type="hidden" name="series_title" id="animeid" value="----------------------------------------------"/>
typed random letters between the tags <strong></strong>.

Usually there stands the title of the anime from your list. Type RANDOM letters instead. DO NOT leave the title of the existent anime from your list (I suppose, that is why it is being deleted).
Dec 16, 2010 1:47 PM

Jul 2009
Arrvilja... YOU'RE GREAT!!!!!! It worked, finally!!! Thank you, thank you sooo much!!!! *_________*
Feb 11, 2011 9:54 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
kuroshiroi said:
Stats are down again...

3. Apply changes.

5. Hit delete.

That worked for me too !! Ty a lot :D Finally got rid of that anime entry !
Mar 17, 2011 9:20 AM
Mar 2011
I could not understand how to fix this bag when reading forum. My Anime Stats are not displayed at my profile... How to fix it? o_o
I am blond! :D
Mar 27, 2011 10:44 PM

Oct 2010
Ok i'm trying to get rid of the ghost anime entry on mine, and i'm using Opera 11.1, so the instructions are not helping, since when it says to right click view. there is no view option. can I have some help ?

Tumblr |  Anime List | 🌷🌼

Mar 27, 2011 11:26 PM

May 2008
I'll try to find an easier way to fix this problem... might have to wait until tomorrow though since it's late for me. Try kuro's fix again, or hang on while longer while I work some magic.
sakaMar 28, 2011 2:23 AM

I am a banana.
Mar 28, 2011 3:09 AM

Feb 2008
IcelandDesuYo said:
Ok i'm trying to get rid of the ghost anime entry on mine, and i'm using Opera 11.1, so the instructions are not helping, since when it says to right click view. there is no view option. can I have some help ?
It's Source, not View Source ^^

Sorry, Opera must've changed that recently and I never noticed. But I still suggest waiting for saka to finish. If I know him right, he'll make it completely solid and very easy. Don't let me down!
Mar 28, 2011 3:33 AM

May 2008
Okay, new plan! This only works for anime for now.

Open up the Edit Anime page:
http://myanimelist.net/editlist.php?type=anime

...and then paste this into your browser address bar (then press enter key):
javascript:var untitled = $('td.borderClass > strong:empty:first'); if(untitled && untitled.length > 0) { var match = untitled.next('a').attr('href').match(/^\/anime\/([0-9]+)$/); var ghostID = match[1]; var seriesID = untitled.parent().prev('td').children('a').attr('href').match(/^\?type=anime\&id=([0-9]+)$/)[1]; if( confirm('Are you sure you want to delete the the series with id ' + ghostID + '?') ) { $.post('http://myanimelist.net/editlist.php?type=anime&id=' + seriesID, { series_id: seriesID, series_title: ghostID, anime_db_series_id: ghostID, submitIt: 3 }, function(data) { alert("Entry removed. Sorry for the trouble."); location.reload(true); }); } } else alert('Could not find any ghost entries.');

I am a banana.
Mar 28, 2011 4:07 AM

Feb 2008
Solid. I tried to break it, didn't manage to, even with multiple ghost entries.
Mar 28, 2011 2:02 PM

Oct 2010
Thank you saka, it worked perfectly. now i'm just waiting for the stats to update =)

Mar 28, 2011 2:04 PM

Feb 2008
Protip: Stats won't update unless you move something from one section to another, i.e. it's triggered by that and not updated periodically. So move something from watching to on-hold and then back and they should update within a minute.
Mar 28, 2011 2:09 PM

Oct 2010
It updated just fine, thank you so much everyone :)

Nov 3, 2011 9:15 AM

May 2010
I have small problem with part of my anime list. Two anime which I have on my list was apparently deleted from DB and now I have two empty entries. On my profile I see in Anime Stats Plan to Watch 58 entries but when I open my anime list I see 56 entries in tabele.

Thanks for any help :)

in this episode, you will die horribly... *laughs just as shion*
lightness vs. darkness
Nani mo kamo wo hoshigatteita Mayoeru mono no chikai
Mada miru sekai o tsukuridasu koto Kuchi hateteiku
Nov 4, 2011 11:41 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Try this solution (second post) :)
(not sure if it's still working)
Nov 5, 2011 11:44 AM

May 2008
go here and see if you have an entry that is just a question mark (?):
http://myanimelist.net/editlist.php?type=anime

If you do, then go here and click the "copy to clipboard" link at the top to get my fix script:
http://pastebin.com/mRrWK62p
...then head back to the same tab you have page with the question mark entry (or entries), paste the script into the address bar, and press enter.

If you do it correctly, it should remove each of the entries and then refresh the page.... if you have trouble then ask. If you're using Chrome, newer versions will remove the "javascript:" from the beginning when you try to paste it into the address bar, so you may have to add it back in at the front to have it actually run. I tested in current versions of Firefox, Chrome, and IE.... and it seemed to work well enough.

-----------------------------------------

For some reason, the code no longer works in Firefox 11 or 12. It does still work in Chrome, although you have to be careful to add the 'javascript:' back in at the front since Chrome removes it (for security reasons) when you paste.
LunaNov 27, 2012 9:38 AM

I am a banana.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» ishinashi has 300 alt accounts and counting ( 1 2 3 )

deg - Jun 16, 2023

127 by Spunkert »»
53 minutes ago

» Backup

Vapor_AU - 11 hours ago

1 by pichipichiHiro »»
11 hours ago

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3368 by L2Dragon »»
Yesterday, 6:35 PM

» MAL Export

Devileeee - Sep 25, 2023

3 by zororo12 »»
Apr 23, 3:52 AM

» Problem with API OAuth2 Authentication Login

bidgetfoss_4000 - Apr 23

0 by bidgetfoss_4000 »»
Apr 23, 3:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.