Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 10, 2016 7:16 AM

Jul 2009
Tengai said:
CheekyKunt said:

Actually she is a girl

Yeah, now I know for sure.
By the way, nice profile!

I was also confused at first, didn't even know till late in the story
Nov 11, 2016 1:33 PM
May 2012
CheekyKunt said:
Tengai said:

Yeah, now I know for sure.
By the way, nice profile!

I was also confused at first, didn't even know till late in the story

It was confirmed the episode after this one.
You're welcome :)
Feb 27, 2017 11:05 AM

Aug 2014
So far I'm not enjoying the anime, it's an ok slice of life so far, i dont understand what's the main point of the show? Can someone explain?

Seems like another cute girls doing cute things.
Jun 9, 2017 7:39 AM

Feb 2016
WALL OF NITPICKY NOTES TO ADD TO THE COLLECTIVE OPINION OF THE HOLY AUTHORITY OF MAL SPECIFICALLY TOWARDS EPISODE FIVE OF HAIBANE RENMEI

• I think I should restate my thoughts on the OP. I like listening to it. I really like the piano bit at the end. However, now that I’m listening to it with full attention, I don’t think it would be easy to automatically associate this OP with the show.
• I can’t remember the angel’s name, but I’m assuming the episode’s going to be about her. She’s slow and careful.
• Rakka looks angelically (see what I did there) adorable with her unkempt magnetized hair. I think I know what desktop wallpapers to get next.
• The Angel of the Day’s name is Nemu. Nice name, I guess.
• Sumika gives Rakka the classic pregnant woman philosophy talk. Well, she didn’t really give her any talk. Sumika just asked Rakka something that alludes a lot to her pregnancy.
• There was a moment there (when Rakka places down a stack of books on a dusty table and dust flies everywhere) which could have been far more expressive (and adorable) if they didn’t draw Rakka in such an off-model way.
• The fact that even the humans don’t know what’s beyond the wall brings up a lot of questions. Sure, they may not have left the town ever, but surely they have passed down information from the founders of the town, right? The answer would be that something stopped the passing-down of information. It was probably the Haibane Renmei because they’ve been depicted as real sinister-like. However, I have the strange feeling that the show won’t actually answer the question. Far too many anime have done that.
• Of course, it also brings up the question as to why they’re stuck in the town in the first place. It could be an Attack on Titan situation, or it could be something to do with their religious beliefs.
• The applause after Nemu reads the story sounds really fake to me. It’s not that they don’t sound like actual claps. It just feels artificial. I can’t put my finger on it.
• Nemu seems to be a mature adult. I was actually surprised by this. I thought Nemu was going to be one of those sleeping dunderheads or something. I like her calm-and-collected adult maturity, though. It adds a touch of variety to the cast of fairly lively characters.
Suddenly… Haibane biker gang.
• So there really are male Haibane that aren’t the religious type.
• Well, I guess we got some Reki backstory. Nemu narrating this backstory adds to her believability as an adult.
• Now, we see Rakka reflecting on her life there so far. Again, it shows her skill in introspection and interpersonal observation. Also, it tells us that she’s happy however she has doubts on whether she deserves to be happy. I like the aesthetic of the wings in the dark.
• “The Beginning of the World” book they’ve been talking about was probably the Book of Genesis or something.
• Is Nemu attracted to Sumika? Those are the vibes I’m getting here. Probably not, but still.
• Although her enjoyment of making up the rest of “The Beginning of the World” does shed light on some sort of desire for fantasy and imagination within her, she probably enjoyed it so much because of her friendship (and attraction????) to Sumika and getting to hang out with her.
• “You won’t laugh?” It seems that Nemu, despite her maturity, still has a sense of insecurity.
• The way Rakka acted during her sort-of “confrontation” with Nemu seems to be very mature, being able to read through a layer or two of Nemu’s character, smiling (in a somewhat smirking way) playfully the whole time. Honestly, she really didn’t do anything special, however the whole thing gave that vibe to me.
• This show can get very off-model, but Rakka riding with Kana at 17:40 is just really ugly.
• “You take it easy, boy.” Kuu’s a GUUUUUYYY!??
OH MY FUCKING GOD IS THAT CGI!!!!!!?????? JESUS FUCKING CHRIST. IT’S UGLY!!!!! THE ROAD’S SO FLAT!!!
• The continued “Beginning of the World” depicts Haibane as lesser to humans. What’s interesting is that Nemu, a Haibane, wrote that herself. Interesting.
• However, one could say that the Haibane were depicted as superior to humans because they were more LIKE God.
• It was a nice legend, but I can’t tell what Rakka added as the ending. None of it sounds like something to really be laughed at. My guess is the part where Haibane escape from God’s head and inhabit their own world was Rakka’s addition but it’s hard to tell.
• It would’ve been nice to see Sumika’s reaction to the thing, but I guess they didn’t consider that part of the point or important enough to be kept in. Maybe it’s in the next episode.
• I guess the legend was supposed to say things about how the Haibane view their places and the humans’ places in society, separate from each other and one, in some sense, being superior over the other.
• Overall, a more eventful episode, more than just a characterization episode for the Angel of the Day. There was the fleshing out of Nemu’s character who, despite her adult maturity and calm collectedness, has a somewhat insecure side to her, especially towards Sumika who she may or may not be attracted towards. However, there was also Reki’s backstory with the cool biker gang kids (a classic) and a bit more exploration of the Haibane’s place in society relative to the humans’ and how the Haibane themselves view them. We also get to see a more mature Rakka, skilled in some way in understanding others and helping them out. Again, just like most of the previous episodes, it flew by quick to me.
Jaguar-chanJun 9, 2017 7:45 AM
"There’s no point in the world. But isn’t that wonderful? Because if there isn’t one, then you can decide what it is for yourself."
~ Filicia Heideman, Sora no Woto

"Senpai...please grow up."
~ Fumi Manjoume, Aoi Hana

"I wonder what tomorrow will bring."
~ Yunocchi, Hidamari Sketch: Sae and Hiro's Graduation Arc

Jun 24, 2017 1:49 PM

Sep 2015
This episode kind of slowed down again. But also really resonated with me. Nemu was more interesting than I gave her credit for. Her story with Rakku (both this episode and the literal narrative they wrote within it) struck a chord. When it was playing the instrumental of the ED while they were reading it out loud, I was once again struck by how masterfully this series handles atmosphere. I do kind of wonder if it's almost done being a slice of life though. Maybe one more episode about Kuu?

Reki continues to be the most interesting character in my eyes. Especially after we heard about her rebellious past. The confrontation with the guy on the bridge was kind of awkward and strange. But I wonder how much of the angry girl who ran away, is still inside the chain smoking bemused Mom. It hasn't been all that exciting for the past few episodes. But this series still has me firmly hooked.
Sep 21, 2017 1:15 AM

Sep 2014
so there are male haibane. Huh. And they live somehwere else (but the group looked mixed) I wonder when they will tell us about them again.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 8, 2017 1:23 PM

Jun 2013
Cute and interesting episode, even with the slight dip in visual quality. I wonder if this episode was outsourced.

Dr-Eyes said:
So far I'm not enjoying the anime, it's an ok slice of life so far, i dont understand what's the main point of the show? Can someone explain?

Seems like another cute girls doing cute things.

Implying that's not enough.

But even so, this episode provided several things to think about. The parallel between Rakka, the newborn, and Sumika's pregnancy. Why is the other Haibane nest coed, and why is Old Home all female (except for the young feathers)? And just what the heck is outside the walls, anyway? Why are the Toga keeping the townspeople and the Haibane in the dark (even the imported books contain no information about the outside world)?

And then there's the little story at the end, which tells us about how Nebu and Rakka look at their world.
Apr 8, 2018 7:34 AM

Sep 2017
Clocks, then books! This anime does a good job of picking jobs/objects for Rakka to explore, each allowing for some nice symbolism. It's crazy that they've got so many tomes in that library yet none of them contain anything about the outside world. Maybe this walled world of Old Home is bigger than we think (we did just find out about another whole side of it after all).

Also I second yatsuslave, I love how the ending Rakka came up with is mostly a tribute to Nemu, and I love that Nemu is worried it's disrespectful even though she made up the rest of the story. "You're jointly responsible" lmao, it's really nice how a story about God and creation can come into being just for the purpose of being a gift to a friend (a friend who is about to give birth, too).
May 12, 2018 11:03 AM

Mar 2017
I liked that story, it really seems like a "believable" creation myth. I love good worldbuilding like this. Even though not much really happens, which is something I usually can't stand in shows, I am getting more and more invested!
Oct 30, 2018 3:16 PM
Jul 2018
It's relaxing but so far this feels like Aria in a different setting. Whereas Aria never claimed to not be a utopia, this show is dropping hints of the flaws of the town, but not expanding on it. World building is incredibly important but we're now 5 episodes through a 13 episode series, and still in the slice-of-life stage.
Mar 7, 2019 8:37 AM

Sep 2017
Wow. Just wow.....

Utterly terrible, but wow....What do people see in this show?

Honestly, it's just awful.
Mar 7, 2019 8:39 AM

Sep 2017
First person to hate this episode (according to the poll). Woooooooo!
May 12, 2019 11:30 PM

Jul 2016
^ Lmao, what a legend
May 12, 2019 11:31 PM

Jul 2016
"Quit smoking you stupid girl"

lol
Jun 22, 2019 5:08 AM

Oct 2012
Seems like Kuu have a little bit secret about herself, I wonder what
The way she said "sayonara" is worrying me
Usually sayonara is for last goodbye

Awww that was actually a pretty nice ending
I'm not sure if Rakka is correct about Haibane, if it's true what about the communicator and Toga

It should be Kuu's episode next
"Signature removed"
Jul 14, 2019 5:18 PM

Jun 2016
Hm... I wonder if Rikka's (and maybe Nemu's) inclusion of the Haibane being God's mistake reflects how they see themselves in comparison to the humans.
Apr 6, 2020 8:48 PM

Mar 2016
The way Kuu said goodbye to the man of the store kinda get me the impression that she's going to dissappear.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Oct 12, 2020 3:44 PM
May 2020
What a beautiful episode. If this show keeps getting better each episode as it has been so far this could be a contender for my favorite of all time.
Jan 26, 2021 8:05 PM
Jan 2021
Personalmente ame este episodio, probablemente sea mi favorito en verdad me encanta la calidez y tranquilidad que transmite y no pude evitar soltar una lágrima con la historia final
Mar 31, 2021 1:34 AM
Jun 2017
What a comfy episode. I loved that story.
Anyway, I wonder what will happen with Reki and those other Haibanes... Also, that cat and Kuu. There are many things that are getting interesting.
Apr 3, 2021 2:44 AM

May 2020
So Reki used to be a bit of a bad girl.

Also why was here everyone surprised by the presence of male Haibane ? Some of the Young Feathers are clearly boys, although it is nice to know there are other nests of the Haibane. And yeah, Nemu was right, that dude was just a dick.

Although Kuu is definitely a girl right ? The owner referred to him as a boy but that just might be the translators fault. Maybe is allowed to stay because he looks the youngest out of the Older Feathers but that doesn't make much sense either. Which does beg the question of what happens to the males once they reach a certain age.
Nov 10, 2021 11:48 AM

Aug 2017
Nemu's flashback suggested that Haibane do age...or at least they can grow hair haha

As for Kuu, worrying signs. Maybe there's a parallel with a certain other ABe anime...
Feb 6, 2022 3:42 PM

Feb 2021
is this show made for kids? lmao
Mar 19, 2022 10:14 PM

Nov 2018
Each episode makes me love this show more and more. That was such a beautiful tale at the end composed mostly by MEmu and given the final touch by Talla, what a great tale they ended up composing.
May 12, 2022 4:43 AM

Sep 2020
19:57 gives fucking EOE flashbacks
Nov 14, 2022 12:38 PM

Dec 2018
beautiful story and i liked the pictures.
Mar 9, 2023 3:50 PM

Dec 2022
The storybook at the end of the episode was a great idea. The haibane are relegated to their own little limbo, but why not let them have it, and make something out of it?

More to Reki than she lets on, with her obvious past with this biker group and the haibane guy who snatches her cig. Never snatch someone's cig.

Shaded Horizon

Sep 11, 2023 3:30 PM

Sep 2017
I felt a bit -may god forgive me for uttering this word- bored while watching this episode. The job apprenticeship episodes are getting repetitive.
I did like the story narration at the end though.
خ
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

jacobpaige - Apr 24, 2008

261 by rasterman7 »»
Mar 22, 8:47 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Apr 23, 2008

77 by killugxn »»
Mar 10, 12:50 PM

» This is so beautiful.

lFrogs - Nov 16, 2022

22 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:53 PM

Poll: » I don't get the ENDING of this show, and it didn't answer any of the obvious questions the series kept teasing.

Cestlavie_ - Nov 11, 2023

8 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:11 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

jacobpaige - Apr 22, 2008

126 by Yabuki_kyoma »»
Nov 10, 2023 7:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.