Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 23, 2008 10:37 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
other than the idea that the haibane were a mistake slated for destruction, i rather liked that story.

but i don't think its right that reki and that guy can't enter each other's districts anymore. any society that's run like that is just screaming for a revolution
Jun 29, 2008 8:53 PM

Mar 2007
Of course, with angels, the God is not that far behind. Of course they put their own twist to a Monotheistic society. I'll buy that story, but i didn't understand if it was written up by that Haibane librarian or if it was already sitting in the library. Anyway its a 'believable' folktale as to why Haibane's are around.

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Jul 10, 2008 9:09 PM

Jun 2007
Well, this did make me like Nemu more~

:3
Apr 18, 2009 11:25 PM

Aug 2008
I'm not sure if this episode gave a hint about their existence. However, it looks like they are beings of God before human was brought into the world. However, the last part of the story when God slept and let the angels roamed free was totally ridiculous and funny. After all, they came up with the ending themselves based on the author's character.

Anyway, that was a good episode. I like this one better as compared to the previous one. Probably, I fancy more on reading books rather than fixing clocks and pocket watches.

Jun 24, 2009 2:33 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Interesting story, wonder if it has a meaning regarding the next episodes.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 18, 2009 10:26 PM

Jun 2009
I guess this is a good time to say that I think this is a remarkably well done show so far.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 23, 2010 11:43 PM
May 2008
Getting better, but I want more mystery.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Aug 10, 2010 11:05 AM

Mar 2009
The story in the end was too good (:
Loved that show so much=)
Sep 8, 2010 2:35 PM

Mar 2008
I quite liked that explanation/story of the winged being.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 24, 2010 2:28 PM

Jan 2010
it was probably the weakest episode so far...but i iked the story at the end :)

4/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Feb 5, 2011 7:28 AM

Jun 2009
Curiously, I consider this to be my favorite episode so far. Maybe I’m just fond of libraries and books in general, but I enjoyed the story about the beginning of the world.

I wonder if that’s the truth about the Haibane’s existence. I do think so, but I can’t be completely sure.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Feb 21, 2011 12:53 AM

Oct 2008
Hmm..
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Mar 24, 2011 6:24 PM

Dec 2010
This episode lost my attention here and there. I think I missed the dialogues, my fault, but I guess the story at the end is alright. There is still more mysterious, I'm predicting the series will end with the girl trying to leave town. Many of you are predicting predicting that too ^_^
May 10, 2011 9:26 PM

Oct 2009
So there are male Haibane, and others that aren't in the Old Home.

Their story was great. There's something a little sad about the fact that they have no idea about their creation, and all they can do is imagine.
May 11, 2011 6:10 AM

Jul 2009
Ousto said:

Their story was great. There's something a little sad about the fact that they have no idea about their creation, and all they can do is imagine.

Not much different than us. We know our biological origins, but that's about it.
Jun 8, 2011 5:17 AM

Nov 2007
I didn't care much for the story at the end itself, but it seems like it's going to tie in with the themes of this anime later on what with the "Beginning of the World" and also the Haibane flying at the beginning. Makes me think their wings will eventually mature again.

I found the existence of the other group of Haibane very interesting since at first I was confused as to why there weren't any guys at Old Home. They probably have the same rules as the Old Home Haibane, I guess. The rest of the episode with the relaxing library atmosphere was great too.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Feb 20, 2012 10:57 AM

Apr 2009
That story was interesting. I wonder how much of it, if anything, is actually true.

And forbidding entry to each other's disctrict is a very severe punishment for just one stupid mistake that I don't see hurting anyone. I wonder what's being protected by that, traditions or something else?
Feb 27, 2012 11:47 AM

Oct 2009
FFFUUUU! I was hoping I'd get to see some lesbian action between Nemu and Rakka, but no, I get some God-bullshit instead D'X 1st world problems.

May 13, 2012 6:53 AM

Jan 2012
very interesting story for the hibaine there, especially towards the end, and introducing some male characters as-well, this episode was quite heavy on the information side i think, but it was great to get some background info on how they were created.
Nov 3, 2012 10:07 AM

Sep 2012
Crikey, I was honestly wondering why we weren't seeing any male Haibane. I'm glad we finally got an explanation on that.
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
Nov 11, 2012 6:35 PM
Mar 2009
This was the episode that I liked so far
Nov 14, 2012 4:12 AM

Nov 2011
interesting episode, I think this story try to begin build the twist and mistery..
beautiful episode as like the others before ...

I wonder what is the mean of Kuu's action ?
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jan 6, 2013 1:19 PM

May 2012
Decent episode the ending was quite nice!
Feb 18, 2013 1:16 PM
Apr 2012
Strange that the Haibane were written as "mistakes." Why would they say that about themselves? Rather odd... likely important though.
Mar 12, 2013 11:28 AM

Jan 2013
Needs drama soon to keep it interesting.
Can the Haibane get pregnant?
It's seems they do age, maybe.
Apr 27, 2013 12:07 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
:O So...do the male haibane that are born are born somewhere else and the female haibane that are born are born in the Old Home? Mysterious, and indeed very interesting. I didn't really notice Nemu that much before this episode, so I liked it a lot, as we get to know more of the characters. Again, we're slowly learning, even though we don't know if the information from this episode is trustworthy.
May 28, 2013 9:40 PM

Aug 2007
I really love the folklore at the end of the episode.
It shows that the Haibane are not angels and that the god they choose to center their belief upon is fallible. You can relate more to a god who admits they make mistakes and give a second chance. It goes against most beliefs, especially Christianity. I enjoy that it challenges the idea without being overbearing.

Sep 2, 2013 3:37 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Well, at least I think they're not angels anymore and there are male haibane. The pacing is still very slow.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 17, 2014 4:44 AM

Apr 2013
Well, that was a nice little story at the end.
Apr 28, 2014 10:27 PM
Oct 2013
Hmmmm, I see some subtle metaphors or symbolisms, but maybe I'm thinking too much. Still looking forward to more truth to be told.
May 29, 2014 11:59 AM

Dec 2013
Apart from the first episode this anime is quite peaceful. No great conflicts, no existential crisis or big dramas. The only thing that seems to be moving the story forward is the discovery of the city and what lies beyond it, Rakka's longing for her parents and the place where she used to live.

Other than that , the ending song is great and deserves to be acknowledged. Also, that story about God and the Haibanes was cute.
"Me ni wa me wo, ha ni wa ha wo, aku ni wa aku wo."
Jun 4, 2014 1:34 AM

Jan 2010
Rewatching this episode, I'm again reminded of how this one of my favorite episodes in anime. Sumika, a pregnant woman, asking the newborn Rakka how it feels to be born. Sumika and Nemu, a human and an angel-like being, both pondering over how the world was created. Multiple books giving different info on the world's history, but being similar enough to string them together. The book of the world's creation being full of holes; does one try to recreate the author's original words, or do they reinterpret the book through their own eyes?

This story isn't supposed to be believable, for if it were, it would have been presented in a more grandiose manner than a child's crayon sketch. It's simply a little mythos that attempts to explain the world of Haibane Renmei. It doesn't tell the viewer that this is the factual reason for the world's creation. It tells the viewer one way the world could have come to be, inviting us to look upon the world with the same wide-eyed curiosity of a child.

Of course, this is how I see this episode, but regardless of the true intent it all, I appreciate the tactfulness displayed here, especially with regards to the material. This show easily could have been an anime about god and creation, but these subjects were carefully stepped around, only tangentially mentioned to give context and encourage discussion. It's not about what these symbols and ideas means in the eyes of the world, but it's about what they mean to us as individual viewers.
Jul 8, 2014 1:01 PM

Aug 2012
Waaaa, that was some cute story.
And apparently another haibane society exists that is mixed. It's getting more interesting.
Aug 17, 2014 5:38 AM

Feb 2010
Shocked said:

This story isn't supposed to be believable, for if it were, it would have been presented in a more grandiose manner than a child's crayon sketch. It's simply a little mythos that attempts to explain the world of Haibane Renmei. It doesn't tell the viewer that this is the factual reason for the world's creation. It tells the viewer one way the world could have come to be, inviting us to look upon the world with the same wide-eyed curiosity of a child.

In my opinion it was made for child/pregnant woman so, that's kind of books suppose to be easy to read, have some images etc. I don't think the author of Haibane Renmei wanted to tell us that it is serious or not.

VictimOfFate said:

And forbidding entry to each other's disctrict is a very severe punishment for just one stupid mistake that I don't see hurting anyone. I wonder what's being protected by that, traditions or something else?

We don't really know what Reki and this Haibane guy have done. I wanted Rekki to ask but I haven't heard such question.
Feb 8, 2015 6:41 PM

Aug 2014
It was interesting that only the first section of the book is legible. The Toga probably got rid of the rest to make sure the Haibane wouldn't figure out what is really going on. We got an interesting story of how the world was made at the end. I liked that they played an alternate version of the ending song during that part. The fact that the Haibane were put in the back of God's head, could mean that they were forgotten by people.
May 22, 2015 4:39 PM

Feb 2013
Another slow job-shadow episode... I hope that was foreshadowing, else this episode was pointless.
Jun 28, 2015 4:03 AM

Dec 2013
That was incredibly beautiful.
Jul 23, 2015 4:27 AM

Dec 2013
I don't know why they're so critical about their own kind. God's mistake. That's sad.
Oct 18, 2015 8:09 PM
Nov 2014
Painfully slow episode to watch, but I liked the story about God. This show is very good at creating atmosphere, as expected from aBe.
Dec 2, 2015 5:51 PM

Sep 2015
I don't know.. the more I hear about the town and its rules, the more off-putting I find it.

They can't even have books with any content about the outside? Male/Female seperated? They have to work to "not be in debt to the town"? They are not allowed to talk with the organisation?

Honestly, for me this all falls in a strong contrast to the tone of the show.

Maybe it's just my character, but the moment I heard "when you leave you can't come back", I would have been out the door. I would never be willing to settle in this kind of ruled society without getting all my questions answered beforehand.
Jan 11, 2016 2:54 PM

Dec 2015
MelloRed said:
Ousto said:

Not much different than us. We know our biological origins, but that's about it.

Now I know that Kuu is a boy for certain. And there are male Haibane! That's awesome.
And you're right MelloRed. We are basically as much in the dark as they are. Which is very interesting actually... maybe it's something that this anime was meant to point out? It's so amazing what an anime can get you to think about. Just makes you wonder...
I really like this one, it has got a lot of potential. I can't wait to find out what happens next. We're being given piece by piece each episode. While the episodes might seem a little slow, I think it just adds up to the whole atmosphere and makes it all greater.
''One is enough, find someone completely unique'' -Yato
''You can't feel lonely if there's no one else around'' -Yamaken
''Because it's broken, it will never recover'' -Nanami
Jan 14, 2016 1:36 AM

Oct 2013
powerful parallels to the real world.

I knew there were male haibane too!

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 14, 2016 1:38 AM

Jan 2014
Of course there are male Haibane. I am not sure why others thought there were not.
Quite an interesting development here and I loved this episode especially because I like libraries :)
Jan 23, 2016 11:35 AM
Jul 2014
Hm, for now I will not comment the 'story' about creation! So far I'm not sure if it was true or just a story...
Jan 26, 2016 1:50 PM

Dec 2015
FeSTiNaLeNTe said:
Of course there are male Haibane. I am not sure why others thought there were not.

If I remember correctly, it was mentioned somewhere around either the first or second episode. Or maybe Rakka was just thinking about it, and it kinda stuck to me. Either way it was mentioned somewhere in the beginning or the anime in some form. And I guess some of us just remembered that? At least I remember something like that.

But I might be slightly wrong. Tho I do think it was something like that. So that's probably why some of us thought that. I guess.
''One is enough, find someone completely unique'' -Yato
''You can't feel lonely if there's no one else around'' -Yamaken
''Because it's broken, it will never recover'' -Nanami
Jun 20, 2016 1:14 PM
Aug 2012
very interesting story about Haibane birth roots... but it's a little bit of a bitter story for me. No one wants to be considered as a mistake-like unwanted children
Nov 2, 2016 12:51 PM
Apr 2015
kuu was a boy? i thought all of them were female
Nov 10, 2016 5:31 AM
May 2012
Very nice episode. I really like the story.

sketchy12 said:

Same here.
Nov 10, 2016 5:36 AM

Jul 2009
sketchy12 said:

Tengai said:

sketchy12 said:

Same here.

Actually she is a girl
Nov 10, 2016 6:56 AM
May 2012
CheekyKunt said:
sketchy12 said:

Tengai said:

Same here.

Actually she is a girl

Yeah, now I know for sure.
By the way, nice profile!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

jacobpaige - Apr 24, 2008

261 by rasterman7 »»
Mar 22, 8:47 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Apr 23, 2008

77 by killugxn »»
Mar 10, 12:50 PM

» This is so beautiful.

lFrogs - Nov 16, 2022

22 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:53 PM

Poll: » I don't get the ENDING of this show, and it didn't answer any of the obvious questions the series kept teasing.

Cestlavie_ - Nov 11, 2023

8 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:11 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

jacobpaige - Apr 22, 2008

126 by Yabuki_kyoma »»
Nov 10, 2023 7:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.