Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 23, 2016 1:21 AM
Jul 2014
Hm, the pace of this Anime is getting slower and slower?! I'm not so sure if I like it. I would like to know who Haibane really are and why they are locked up? I'm sure in part because they are special, different, I don't get then why all the (human) people, the whole town in fact are also behind walls? I guess on the other side of the wall we would find more humans - that are free?! Will we ever see Toga take place in Anime? Questions, questions, questions...
Jun 19, 2016 2:47 PM
Aug 2012
I likes the clock shop owner...he cares about haibane so dearly, that I totally forgot about that it's so cruel how society treats them as second-rate beings....
Jul 9, 2016 7:54 AM

Sep 2011
Wow. Kana is best girl. I am really starting to like this series.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Aug 25, 2016 11:26 AM

May 2010
Another beautiful episode. This show is just right for me, I'm loving the characters.
Feb 26, 2017 12:20 AM

Aug 2015
Kanna's faces keep cracking me up. She seems to always have one eyebrow raised and smirk.
Mar 26, 2017 9:09 PM

May 2014
I'm enjoying it so far, nice atmosphere, and that's it at this point.
Jun 8, 2017 7:49 AM

Feb 2016
GIANT WALL OF NOTES TO ADD TO THE COLLECTIVE OPINION OF MAL ON EPISODE 4 OF HAIBANE RENMEI

• The expressiveness in the animation of the exchange between Kanna and Rakka when Rakka wakes up was fun to watch. I’d say it’s about above average relative to other anime in the sense that it does the same thing other anime do but done with a bit more passion.
• I found the way Rakka’s wings popped out of her dress and the way she revved herself up into the mirror cute. I think the expressiveness off Haibane Renmei’s animation is one of its strong points. It’s “off-modelness” would be its downside.
• That was some mighty deep thinking Kanna, commenting on dependency and the ethics of it. Would it be right to force someone to experience sacrifice to achieve greater happiness even if you know they’re already happy the way they are albeit in a lesser sense than if they underwent that sacrifice?
• Kanna describes the crow’s stare as “wistful” however the way it was drawn makes it seem “wise” or “stern” instead.
• I think what Haibane Renmei is doing is slowly introducing us its main cast each episode before it gets anything done. If that is so, this episode must be Kanna’s episode.
• I think it’s working. I’m not having as hard of a time at remembering the characters’ names.
• Also, there’s a bit of world-building. We learn about a person from the past who attempted and almost finished an upgrade of the clocktower of Old Home.
• The Haibane eating breakfast had a lot of expressiveness to it as well.
• The town are “extremely protective” of the Haibane and they work so as “not to feel indebted” to the town? You guys aren’t allowed to have things that aren’t second-hand! What?
• I guess that’s just how Kana sees things. “It sounds very much like you”, Rakka says to Kana. Maybe this is the way the show endeavors to flesh out Kana.
• I’m not sure why Kana blushed when she said that the crows carried lost things, things left behind in their past lives. I assume she blushed because it contradicts the disdain she expressed towards crows earlier, but I don’t think a blush would be appropriate for such a reason.
• “We’re not supposed to meddle too much in Haibane’s lives”. This could be taken as “The Haibane are superior to us because of our religious beliefs, therefore we must keep a respectful distance from them” or “The Haibane are different from us or are dangerous (or fragile) according to our religious beliefs, therefore we must keep a distance from them”.
• Rakka even directly alludes to the fact that this episode was a Kana development episode by saying “You can’t judge a character by her looks” and clarifying that she wasn’t talking about Master.
• “Oops. Backfired.” Fucking hell, Reki.
• Overall, a nice episode. I wasn’t as bored as the previous episode, despite this episode also being just as slow-paced. Flew right past me. I guess it was because it gave me something to intrigue my mind such as Kana’s character. This was obviously a character deepening episode on Kana. We learn that other than her tomboyish hot-headedness, she also has a dislike of being patronized, has an almost scientific inquisitive attraction towards the clocktower of Old Home, believes that people shouldn’t depend on other people too much (as shown by her rant on feeding the crows), doesn’t want to hurt others’ feelings despite her hot-headedness (as seen when she was talking to Rakka about Reki and made a joke that made Rakka make a down face), and, although seeming to not be as bothered, still has the underlying desire to know the past she forgot that all other Haibane have. We also learn that Rakka sees herself as some sort of weight holding Reki down, as shown by her reaction to Kana’s joke. There’s also more elaboration on the crows and what they may symbolize. There’s also a fair bit of world-building such as the Haibane’s position in society, the person from the past who attempted to upgrade the Old Home’s clocktower, and the legend of the crow’s carrying lost things. I liked this episode. There was a bit of meat to chew into.
• Also, random note, all the following episodes seem to be 24 minutes long. The episodes so far have just been 22 minutes long.
• Blue flow never gets old.
"There’s no point in the world. But isn’t that wonderful? Because if there isn’t one, then you can decide what it is for yourself."
~ Filicia Heideman, Sora no Woto

"Senpai...please grow up."
~ Fumi Manjoume, Aoi Hana

"I wonder what tomorrow will bring."
~ Yunocchi, Hidamari Sketch: Sae and Hiro's Graduation Arc

Jun 23, 2017 2:24 PM

Sep 2015
I liked this episode a lot more than the previous. It's still very slice of life. But I found Rakka and Kana's interactions to be really fun and compelling. Kana was definitely a character that grabbed my interest early on. Just because of their inherent androgyny. And their focus episode did not disappoint. I also felt the animation was a little crisper and more stylized after falling off a little bit. But that might have been the torrent I got.

Not much else to say about this one. Kana biking was really funny. Her pep talk and observations about their strange world were interesting. The boss was really cool. I liked his spiel about being worried Kana would just fly away someday because of her wings. Rakka's becoming a little less of a weak and overly apologetic female protagonist. I liked her saying she was rooting for Kana and the crows. Felt really clever and funny for some reason. This show has a pervading sense of kindness and beauty so far. I can't help but feel like it's going to get a lot darker by the end though.
Sep 21, 2017 12:46 AM

Sep 2014
this anime reminds me a lot of so ra no wo to. Its so calm and random in what happens.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 7, 2018 4:28 AM

Feb 2018
Well, it was a little better than eps 2 and 3 but still not so interesting. Rakka is soooo moe, other than that, nothing much to mention.
Apr 23, 2019 3:14 PM
Aug 2018
"If by feeding them we create a place where they can survive without any struggle they'll only inhabit this town and will probably never fly free again."

"It might be happy for them, but I feel sorry for them."

The work we saw the Haibane doing so far was rather simple. So maybe this sentence that was aimed at the crows also applies to the Haibane.

The clocksmith was worried about Kana being replaced and her flying away. My intuition after watching anime tells me that this is foreshadowing.
tr25a3Apr 23, 2019 3:35 PM
May 12, 2019 12:33 PM

Jul 2016
What was the point?
May 12, 2019 12:33 PM

Jul 2016
Still nothing interesting or of value.
Jun 22, 2019 4:06 AM

Oct 2012
The master's face when he asked about whether Kana is going to disappear or not
It looks like not his first time seeing Haibane disappears :(

I feel like the crows will become a deeper meaning soon

Next ep should be the windmills or library
"Signature removed"
Nov 12, 2019 9:58 AM

Nov 2017
What is the point of this show, nothing ever happens? Is it because it's an OG sol anime?

Just girls being annoying and going around town. Luckily it's short and I like the green valleys.
Mar 22, 2020 11:19 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Another lovely episode with Rakka
Apr 6, 2020 8:06 PM

Mar 2016
The old man asking if kana was going to leave, raised a question in my head, why isn't there one single older haibane? Because I'm assuming they grow older. And again with those crows.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

May 7, 2020 6:18 PM
Feb 2016
This show is a real slow burner.We are through one third of the show and we have yet to learn anything about the wall,the weird crow looking dudes and the crow themselves. How long will it take for kana to realize that she saw the crows in her dream and there being a deeper meaning to their presence.

I'm getting tired of this slice of life format. For people who seems to be trapped in some kind of limbo or so they sure seem happy and there isn't much conflict which I do find a bit odd. Hoping that it starts picking up.
Jun 11, 2020 3:13 PM

Jun 2010
Jaguar-chan said:
The town are “extremely protective” of the Haibane and they work so as “not to feel indebted” to the town? You guys aren’t allowed to have things that aren’t second-hand! What?

It's not as if anything the Haibane have is worn-out or shabby. Given the cultural circumstances I'd even expect the "humans" to be more willing to part with things that are still in good shape exactly so the Haibane can use them.

See also that the Haibane seem to be doing really simple work yet it apparently serves to pay for whatever they need. There's obviously not a strict accounting as Rakka "bought" something before she'd done any work and no one warned her she'd incurred a debt she must repay. Makes me think the prohibition against the Haibane handling money is a way of hiding that they're getting more than they give, which is indeed a kind and protective attitude for the "humans" to have towards them.

Given what I've heard about the broad thematic nature of this show, I think the idea behind the second-hand objects rule is that it connects the Haibane to someone else; in a sense they have the original owners to thank for everything they use. It's a constant reminder that the world is full of people who are connected to each other.
Dec 22, 2020 5:13 PM
Oct 2019
Best episode yet, there's this sinister/dark feeling in every episode that makes me think the other Haibanes are hiding something, but there's also calm/relaxing moments. The Dialogue at the end with the Boss of Kana was very interesting as well as the importance of the Crows in the Series. Excited to continue watching this series!
Jan 17, 2021 1:58 PM

Mar 2018
I'm airing on the side of things that the pacing is slightly slower than I would like at this point but at the same time it makes sense to have it's pace considering how it's attempting to go about it's story. Hoping to see some development in the planted symbolisms and plot to this story.

Still enjoyable to an extent with it's relaxing and lightly comedic atmosphere.
Mar 31, 2021 12:58 AM
Jun 2017
Poor birds. Crows, ravens and corvids in general are very intelligent creatures that shouldn't be treated that bad.

A relaxing episode. Clocks are nice.

The pacing is slow, but this series is very relaxing... kind of. But something ought to happen at some point.
Jul 7, 2021 4:20 AM

Jul 2011
Finally an insteresting episode
Dec 11, 2021 10:13 AM

Nov 2018
Only four episodes in and I can already tell this is a masterful work of art. I'm really excited for what else there may come.
GRAYLIGHTNINGDec 11, 2021 12:08 PM
Mar 9, 2023 2:25 PM

Dec 2022
The haibane seem carefree enough, but they aren't naive by any means. Rakka's been informed on how the world operates throughout, and they all seem helpful.

Crows aren't very liked in this universe are they? Chased off with a broom just for loitering around, so sad.

Shaded Horizon

Apr 4, 2023 10:57 AM
Jul 2020
I thought the old man was bout to do smth sus ngl
Sep 11, 2023 7:07 AM

Sep 2017
So the discrimination theory was most probably false. I still can't help but feel something tragic will suddenly happen, must've watched too much Hell Girl.
خ
Mar 10, 12:50 PM
Aug 2021
if they have wings then they should fly along with the birds
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

jacobpaige - Apr 24, 2008

261 by rasterman7 »»
Mar 22, 8:47 PM

» This is so beautiful.

lFrogs - Nov 16, 2022

22 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:53 PM

Poll: » I don't get the ENDING of this show, and it didn't answer any of the obvious questions the series kept teasing.

Cestlavie_ - Nov 11, 2023

8 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:11 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

jacobpaige - Apr 22, 2008

126 by Yabuki_kyoma »»
Nov 10, 2023 7:19 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei - help please Is it better in Dub or Sub?

ignominy15 - Aug 11, 2015

18 by waalex11 »»
Sep 22, 2023 11:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.