Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 30, 2011 6:10 PM

Aug 2010
I think cousin-cousin relationship is wrong. But I don't mind the ending because I really disliked Kiri.
Mar 19, 2011 10:43 AM
Mar 2011
brinan, you said: "So what if she's his 1st cousin. It's not like it's abnormal in this world. Just look at some other animes. They married / have a relationship with robots, aliens, demons, dolls & other human-like creatures which are not human. Why is it that many people complain so much when it comes to cousin-cousin relationship? As far as the anime goes, there aren't any characters in the anime who are against Hiroki-Elis relationship because they're cousins."

So what if she's his 1st cousin??? What do you mean so what? Of course thats abnormal in this world. You don't find related lovers in every neighborhood. No matter where you go; be it America, Japan, France, or Germany - the majority of the population will always have issues with blood relationships (which is why i don't understand why none of the girls at the school or any of the teachers say something against it). And atleast in anime with aliens/robots (i say robots is pushing it but...)/demons/and other human like creatures, they aren't relatives! Their kids are going to be Messed UP. I mean, if Hiroki and Elis can live with that then its not SOOOO shocking, but this ending wasn't expected by me and for many others, i'm sure, and it should not have been finished like that.

It should not have ended like that because through just about every episode I think they made it clear and obvious Hiroki was infact in love with Kiri, not Elis. Elis even confesses to him and he turns replies by saying "To me you are a very important sister. So anything more than that, I...". Pretty obvious what he meant by that. He basically doesn't have any romantic feelings for her. SO what stumps me is that for 23 episodes most people see how Kiri and Hiroki will end up together becuase they are indeed in love, but then were at 24 and Elis and Hiroki are making out in white sheets. Some people might think that it was an interesting twist but I say that it's just an awful story conclusion.

It should've played out that after they hug at the airport, Elis would then leave for paris, france and Kiri and Hiroki would begin dating. And hopefully that would lead to them living the rest of their lives together. I mean, did the first scene of the anime have no relevance at all??? If Hiroki and Kiri weren't going to be anything more then friends then they didn't need to show how she got rejected in the first place. Why would they show so much chemestry throughout the whole series just so that out of nowhere Hiroki would have a 180 flip change of heart.

Also, why Kiri would even begin to think that she has lost to little Elis and that Hiroki actually loved Elis the entire time escapes my mind. It's never made close to clear, to anyone, especially Kiri, that Hiroki has mutal feelings for Elis. So why does she think that? From her perspective I think she would have seen the situation as the follwing:

Because Elis was able to move forwards, Hiroki was given courage enough to do so aswell. Which is why he was finaly able to draw again and paint that picture of the blue crimson angels. Then he would give it to Elis becuase the one thing, other than Hiroki himself, that she wanted was to see Hiroki draw again. Kiri would wait only a little longer for Hiroki one last time and then they would become lovers.

Another problem I had was with those persistant, bratty, and ignorant friends of Elis. Especially the pres. of the art club. They kept saying supposedly meaningful things to both Elis and Hiroki, without knowing the situation behind anything. It worked for Elis usually but for hiroki all those comments were rash and imprudent becuase he fealt nothing for Elis. One of the only times we see that he might have some incling of affection for her too is when they're sleeping beside each other and he blushes for a moment as he looks at her "oh so charming" sleeping face. But we see Hiroki blush for Kiri quite alot more than we do for Elis. And there are many scenes which contradict episode 24s ending. One of them being the flashback pool scene roughly 8 years ago. We see Hiroki stare up at Kiri (blushing as well) after she make a mature comment about how Elis learned how to swim by working hard and not with the help of Hiroki. Yes, Hiroki is seen constantly looking towards a future with Kiri.

So that is pretty much I feel the ending was completely random and out of nowhere and that ti ruined an almost nicely done rest of the series, minus some of the annoying girls who ouldn't mind their own business.

PS - Forgetting the fact that Hiroki and Elis are 1st cousins/blood relatives, say for a moment that the anime creators showed enough signs in the series that it made sense for hiroki to get hitched with Elis by episode 24. Has anyone else come to the conlcusion that this still makes Hiroki a sort of...pedofile? Elis is in her first year of high school (which is grade 10 in japan) meaning shes 15 turning 16. Hiroki missed a year of university making him 23 (or 24 depending on whether or not he attended university directly after high school). Hm, that's 'bout 7/8 years difference. SO in accordance to the final part of Canvas2: Rainbow Coloured Sketch we find out that throughout the entire season whenever we see hiroki daydreaming he is thinking about doing his cousin (incest) and that for 23 episodes hes been secretly hiding the fact that he is a lolicon.
Apr 14, 2011 12:22 AM
Apr 2011
Is this for real? I thought the show was pretty good up until the ridiculous ending, as stated by other people above me. They should of ended it by having Hiroki's desire to paint again and paint a picture for Ellis. They should of then parted ways, she would be happy because he finally started painting again and he would go back to Kiri, the end. If they decided to do an OVA with a proper ending I would probably give the show a 7 instead of a 5.
Apr 14, 2011 6:30 AM

Nov 2008
DID THIS GUY SERIOUSLY PICK A 15 YEAR OLD RELATIVE!!!!! this just failed on so many ways im a harem enthusiast and this is the first time ive been pissed off about an ending i would rather him end up alone someone go school days on his a**. Screw this anime...
Jun 16, 2011 6:48 AM

Jun 2009
Gahhh! >.< I wasted my time watching this anime for an ending like that! I hate it! It disgusts me to see them end up like that! Sickening! I like Kiri to end up with Hiroki because.. come on, hiroki has feelings for Kiri all throughout the episode series and what a drastic turn of events to fall in love with Elis just like that.. didn't he mistake it has brotherly love?! >.< Kiri is kinda cool at the first half of the series... but then she became an inconsiderate and insecure woman at the last 3 episodes.. Different from her usual self!

The first 23 episodes were pretty nice and was planning to change the score from 7 to 9, then that ending just blew away my expectations literally...down to 6/10... It was saved because of the paintings! XP
Jul 21, 2011 3:31 PM

May 2010
Hah hah, so all the people who actually liked this series hated the ending! And here I am, the guy who hated the series and then liked the ending (sort of). Seriously, after a completely and utterly predictable 23 episodes, a little surprise doesn't hurt!

He did show a few signs of liking Elis throughout the show actually, it's not completely out of nowhere like you guys seem to think. But it was still hinting more strongly towards Kiri, perhaps just to throw us off? Anyways, not like it matters, this was still a 4/10 in my book. For the most part completely average, and then subtract one point for obnoxious whiny characters with contrived emotional problems.
“Money can't buy dere”
Aug 20, 2011 7:47 PM
Feb 2011
I would have to say Kiri ending would have been better. Tho Elis ending isn't bad tho I say it coming from the start.
Dec 11, 2011 1:35 AM
Dec 2011
Yeah you know, i prefer Kiri much more than Elis. I think she's just an annoying brat that always cause his brother trouble, and just like everyone else says. Hiroki didn't express any love of that genre in the first 23 and a half episodes, and suddenly in the end it's like he got shot by Cupid's arrow or something. And if i'm not mistaken she's his 1st cousin, even in anime the Japanese should have a limit in love. Incest is something i don't and perhaps never will approve of. I know she's pretty cute and adorable and all those stuff that makes a guy head over heels in love with her but has he ever considered the fact that they are cousins? On top of all that, she's like sixteen or something, one more reason for me to detest the ending.
May 20, 2012 5:03 AM

Jun 2011
OMG What's with the ending scene where they both were naked covered by a blanket? Hiroki you can't do her when she was just.. 15.. maybe? Come on, try to be a little patient there! Though I like both Hiroki and Elis painting combine together, I hate the ending scene! 6/10 (Ending ruined it for me, even though I am Hiroki x Elis supporter, need at least another episode to elaborate more on the ending)
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 28, 2012 8:23 PM
Apr 2011
Terrible ending...don't mind the matching they did because towards the end of the show, Kiri started pissing me off a little bit..that was a sign that her and kiri was probably not gonna work out.

I still am not comfortable with the cousin pairing, but oh well what can you do, it's just a show.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

Jul 3, 2012 7:34 PM

Apr 2009
I just finish playing the Visual Novel, and planning to watch the anime. I'm not very surprised to see that Hiroki choose Elis in the end since she's the main heroine in the VN, but seriously I hope the anime would adapt the Kiri ending.

And now, I decide to drop this anime before I even started
Aug 26, 2012 1:03 PM
Aug 2012
Holy crap... I was about to stab the freaking wall.

Of course, I wanted an Hiroki x Elis ending, but for a while, it didn't look like it was going to be that way.

Then the credits rolled, and I was pissed. Thank goodness I read in this thread that there was more after the credits, because it gave me the ending I wanted.

I'm pleased. ^_^
Aug 29, 2012 1:07 AM

May 2012
Very satisfying ending, at first I wanted this to end with a Hiroki x Kiri ending but about half way through the series she just started to annoy the hell out of me for some reason so I'm glad they went with the Hiroki x Elis pairing.

But wow I didn't expect that last scene after the credits at all!!! I loved it so much that I raised the score of this show from a 7/10 to an 8/10. Other anime's need to learn from that ending... now that's how you freaking end a romance anime people, they both were able to finally do what they could not do before (paint red for Elis and start painting again for Hiroki), so they were able to fulfill each others dreams together and of course what a better way to show the audience that they are together than with scene with them naked on a bed under some sheets? Plus the kiss to seal everything was just the topping on the cake!

For some reason I didn't mind the incest in this one, and wait was she underage ? You know what I don't care, its an anime and they were both freaking happy in the end...I do however feel sorry for kiri since she got stood up so many times by Hiroki through the series but I still feel like Elis deserved him more in the end.
Aug 29, 2012 1:10 AM

Feb 2009
I don't mind incest. On the contrary. But damn this ending was absolutely crap. Loltweest at the last episode. Well done. And why was it necessary to kill off Tomoko? This doesn't even make sense...
Sep 2, 2012 7:18 PM

Nov 2009
is there more to this anime in the manga? the ending i watched in the anime is screaming 'this is not the real ending'
Sep 10, 2012 10:05 PM

Oct 2011
I thought I was watching an anime centered around Hiroki and Kiri. Then at the last episode, HirokixElis. Damn they set me up.
Oct 13, 2012 4:08 AM

Aug 2011
Alright time for my thoughts on the subject, having been confident in my prediction abilities i predicted from episode 1 that hiroki would end up with kiri, I read through all the visual novel routes and was pretty confident kiri would be the ending girl, the fact that the anime practically screamed romantic development between hiroki and kiri for 23 episodes only served to reinforce my prediction, and then.. Episode 24 came, out of nowhere it seems hiroki's emotions did a complete 180 and suddenly he falls for elis, I was shocked to say the least, for me it was completely unexpected, what should have happened is he gave the painting to her then seen her off to paris since she would have finally seen him draw, and then he would go back with kiri.

Also i don't know why they bothered to add in tomoko's line of "Good-bye hospital onii-chan" the reason why she says this is you learn alot about her and hiroko's background in the visual novel truth be told tomoko's route was probably my favorite one. It's a shame they didn't consider giving her more character development. (on a side note if i didn't watch the credits all the way through i would have freaked out thinking they killed her off. Glad that didn't happen.)

Last but not least, the supporting cast aside from tomoko (especially sumire and takeuchi near the ending) seemed to irritate the hell out of me, which is really odd considering all of their routes were fairly good in my opinion, Hagino was pretty hilarious in some parts though.

In terms of Visual Novels i was pretty excited to see this one get an anime adaptation, even a manga one (haven't read it yet but i might later) however with that ending, i wasn't able to enjoy this anime like i thought i was going to be able to. So overall i'll end up giving it a 6 or a 6.5 for that horrible twist of an ending.

this makes me feel like re-playing the visual novel.
ReverentStigmaOct 13, 2012 4:33 AM
"Even if the morrow is barren of promises... nothing shall forestall my return!"

Oct 21, 2012 1:09 PM

Mar 2010
YagokoroEirin said:
Elis Suck,Selfish Bitch.

This.
The most annoying and needless character in the show ends with the main character. W-T-F?
Dec 5, 2012 12:12 AM

Oct 2012
sighh incest... but then Kiri who..uhhhh idk this is confusing i don't even know which to pick lol i rather have them not be in a relationship. happy ending :P
Dec 21, 2012 10:41 PM
May 2011
honestly, the anime was pretty good. I'd give it a 7/10.
What REALLY bothered me about this anime though is that Kiri and Hiroki end up getting together for like 2 episodes and bam, in the last 2 minutes he gets a sudden change of heart. I guess it's understandable since he's been showing signs of affection for Elis pretty much since she returned from her Grandmother's place and her leaving triggered something that made him realize his true feelings for her.
Another thing I didn't like was the ending clip of them chilling post-sex (just my assumption based on what was given to us haha). That was pretty sudden considering he was the one who kept on saying that he thinks of her only as a sister. Cousins getting married or whatever in anime isn't all too rare so I didn't really care about that, but she was pretty much his younger sister. They should have at least made a whole other episode or two to show the development in their romantic relationship, but NOOOOO they went straight to boning.
*SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER* This was almost as bad as the Usagi Drop ending where Daikichi and Rin decide on getting married even though she was like his daughter and he raised her since she was six. You took care of her even when she was wetting her bed for Christ's sake, haha *SPOILER END*
All in all it was an entertaining episode even though the cliche ending was expected from like episode 22 haha. I'd say a 7/10, but I'ma give it a 7.5/10 only because I didn't like Kiri and wanted Elis to win haha. I'd give it an 8/10 if it was the Superintendent instead though because he did show some signs of interest in those 2 episodes where she was involved haha.
Overall, 7.5//10 Good Anime.
Dec 21, 2012 10:43 PM
May 2011
Radzeer said:
I don't mind incest. On the contrary. But damn this ending was absolutely crap. Loltweest at the last episode. Well done. And why was it necessary to kill off Tomoko? This doesn't even make sense...

Tomoko didn't die. In the end, it shows her opening her eyes which hints that her operation was a success
Jan 21, 2013 10:18 AM

Mar 2012
Wha That ending!!

Loved the "No more sensei" :D
Apr 9, 2013 11:56 AM

Dec 2007
Lol. I was about to yell when the credits hit. I hate open ended endings. At least they concluded it in the credits with some clips. The angel painting was good. I thought they were going to have Hiroki create a painting of Elis. I liked the ending. I knew it was going to end at the airport. I just thought that Elis would be leaving to Paris, and he'd be regretting his choice.
AnimatronixApr 9, 2013 12:08 PM
Apr 25, 2013 9:28 PM
Apr 2013
I'm pretty happt to have found this forum 'cause i honestly didn't want to go through the whole show just for Elis to win. I would have been happier if it wasn't anyone. Ah well. There's a pretty popular sub group in Japan that loves this sort of brother/sister thing. . .

And good to know about Usagi Drop. I honestly never would have expected that. Seriously?? And here it was, i thought it was going to be a nice family thing.....
May 29, 2013 7:42 AM
Dec 2010
This show made me realize how everyone even i changes overtime. 1st time I saw it was few years ago and i was quite happy with how it ended but now it feels wrong and bit irritating.
Sent with Mal Updater
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Jul 2, 2013 3:07 AM
Apr 2013
Wow this series was so good , i was going for a 8/10 , but now with that awesome ending its 9.5/10 ^^.I think this ending was the best choice cause if Elis were to leave to Paris her life would've been pretty terrible , think about it , all the time she relied on Hiroki with everything , she surely couldn't handle the situation . Also remember how traumatized she was after that car accident where she lost both her parents , if it wasn't for Hiroki she would probably never recover like how she did.Regarding his childhood friend , don't forget that she has always been loved by that guy (though i hate him for what he did ).And i'm so happy that Tomoko's surgery was a succes, cause she also contributed in the well-development of the series.Overall , everyone in the series ended up happy, so im glad.

I don't really understand why ppl say this was a bad ending , i already explained how i see the things. If he were to end up with Kiri , imagine how he could waste his talent , cause he would've continued teaching in that school , because he wouldn't draw even if he was told by Kiri.(Elis managed to make him draw again). bb
Jul 6, 2013 11:08 AM

Dec 2010
I'm not really OK with this whole cousin incest, but looking back it was pretty clear that Hiroki only had feelings for Elis. He felt nothing, NOTHING during his time with Kiri. The blush after they woke up was the only instance I remember where the guy gave any indication that he might feel something for her.

So yeah, Elis was definitely the right call, but I'm not comfortable with the fact that she is her cousin or that he's at least six years older than her.
Jul 24, 2013 4:19 AM

Jul 2013
So yeah, sorry for necro-ing this thread, but since the last few replies were also dated July 2013, I decided to register and add my opinion in as well.

Okay, so, first. Marrying your first cousin's legal and socially accepted in Japan.

Second..

That. Ending. Was. -.-''

The dude was like, meh to the blondie the whole time, then at the last, 3, 4 episodes? He was attracted to his childhood friend since, uh, way back. Suddenly his emotions are all over the place, then he got his eyes on blondie. Like a terribly placed deus-ex-machina. Crammed, even though it's a 24 ep series.

My 2 cents.
HappySchizo_Jul 24, 2013 4:31 AM
No.. Not yet.
Sep 10, 2013 11:56 PM

Feb 2013
I don't like how Hiroki suddenly decides to change girls in the last episode but I guess I saw it coming. The whole time they were hinting an Elis ending. I just wish he didn't lead on Kiri like that only to crush her hopes a second time. I'm glad that this series had a definite ending (chose a girl) at least.
~ El Psy Congroo~

Oct 27, 2013 8:55 PM

Oct 2012
I really don't get why they tried to make Tomoko-chan look like she died at the end ._.

Dec 13, 2013 9:20 PM
Jan 2011
Blooey said:
Alright, I just finished watching this series .................AND WOW...What the hell happened?

Seriously, I keep repeating the last few episodes in my head, and honestly.....it makes no sense....
The chemistry in this show does not add up in that last half of the 24th episode. Its like watching the chemistry in the Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince movie....And I'm not just complaining because I like Kiri's character, nor am I complaining about the incestuous ending....

What I am very upset about is that for 23 and a half episode, Hiroki's feelings/relationship towards Elis was nothing close to loving her in "that" way. Not a single moment did I recognize a sign that shows his feelings for her in "that" way. To me, he seemed like a brother and only a brother. BUT yet, somehow, after she confesses one more time, he decides he likes HER?!?!

It seems as though the writer/creator tried to be "bold" and have some amazing plot twist, but in the end, this ending seems so amateur-ish, to be honest. A real good ending would have had some development to it. Like a sort of progression towards the end, rather than just an unexplained ending.

Well, I'm just ranting to let off some steem, ignore me if you must.....

I think they were trying to go the whole cliche romcom "you don't know what you want until you lose it". At the risk of losing her he went after her.
Apr 18, 2014 4:10 AM

Sep 2013
I ended up playing the visual novel, I went for Ellis route first so I can save the others for later, Kiri and Tomoko's routes were far better.
Dec 8, 2014 1:07 PM

Jun 2014
75 % of the story was all about Elis, and I rooted for her. Marriage of cousins is common in Japan. Kiri is just too plain and looks average. But still it was unexpected that Hiroki chose her, it never hinted that he has a romantic feelings towards her. He only blushed in hospital bed scene and that's it.
blessofcurseDec 16, 2014 5:10 PM
Dec 19, 2014 7:53 PM

Aug 2014
well damn, I watched most of this series with 3/4th attention but still pretty decent. Seriously thought Tomoko died on the plane or something until I let the credits roll a bit.

Waited the entire series for that incestual moment and it delivered.

notbad.jpeg
Jan 28, 2015 1:07 AM

Aug 2013
YagokoroEirin said:
Elis Suck,Selfish Bitch.

<3 This
Aug 12, 2015 1:41 PM
Jul 2015
Izayoi23 said:
YagokoroEirin said:
Elis Suck,Selfish Bitch.

&lt;3 This

Nah, she is much much better than Kiri
Aug 12, 2015 2:08 PM

Aug 2015
I was really satisfied that Elis and his cousin got to hook up; she really loved him and at times it was painful to watch how sad she was when he had rejected her. One thing that could have made the ending a lot better, was to develop a little bit further between the part at the airport and the final scene in France.
Jan 24, 2016 6:08 PM
Jun 2014
blessofcurse said:
75 % of the story was all about Elis, and I rooted for her. Marriage of cousins is common in Japan. Kiri is just too plain and looks average. But still it was unexpected that Hiroki chose her, it never hinted that he has a romantic feelings towards her. He only blushed in hospital bed scene and that's it.

Nahh, he did blush a few more times than that. Anyway, it was clear that the story was going that way for a good while before the ending.
Apr 27, 2016 1:31 PM

Aug 2013
Satisfying ending. Really good series. Beautiful art and animation. Great soundtrack ND OP/ED songs. I really miss series like this nowadays.
8/10
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 18, 2017 11:32 AM

Jul 2014
lolwut that ending, and I also thought Tomoko chan died because of not taking her pills???

DID THEY F**K at the end???
Feb 16, 2017 8:38 PM
Oct 2015
Ughh, the progress of the anime stood well until Hiroki chose that damn cousin Elis (and the blanket scene?). Too bad they ended it that way. Oh well, definitely give this anime a 5/10 rather than 8, if it progressed through Kiri x Hiroki.
Oct 28, 2017 7:14 PM

Jul 2009
What a horrible ending jesus. Elis became straight insufferable towards the latter half. Is this based off a vn? Poor kiri jesus christ. Shit show all around
Dec 6, 2017 8:44 PM
Jan 2017
damn elis, i hate her
Jan 21, 2018 1:29 PM

Nov 2008
Felt bad for Kiri, because she had always loved Hiroki. But no objections with the ending.
Aug 18, 2018 3:21 PM

Oct 2017
Ah, the longevity of the Otaku world...

I am definitely surprised by so many of these angry, disappointed posts. You people all sound like my Grandparents or something.... Cousins!! Incest!! Disgraceful!! I have more to say to you in the paragraph after the next - you know you want to hear it, you backwards geriatrics! I'm just kidding. No real offense intended there. Sometimes ya can't help the way you feel, I know.

** SPOILERS for Canvas2 Visual Novel ** SPOICLERS SPOILERS ****
Lot of disappointed people at the end there. I just finished the VN and had watched some of the anime but had not completed them ... The VN - although a different medium, and like all of this stuff, is a matter of taste -- the Anime did have a pretty decent look to it.. However - even with so many "episodes", the VN is much longer than that, and really allows one to "get to know" each of the characters to a much greater extent. As far as Yanagi - the writer (I don't recall how many were involved - for so many routes, it seems likely there'd be a few but ... don't know for sure) anyway - the writer messed up with Yanagi and Hiroki, and even Kiri, when it comes to that. What he did - unforgivable - I don't care who you are, Mother Theresa would kick you in the face. And yeah - to feel SOOO BAAD... in one moment, and then turn to the girl you love and propose to her... well - that was the VN, so - apologies if that didn't happen in the anime. I almost dropped the VN because Yanagi gets Kiri if you don't go for her route... he needs a f***ing karma bomb to explode on his head, not to get the girl. Writers ROYALLY SCREWED THAT ASPECT OF WRITING... totally some B.S. altruistic fantasy garbage - "Hey kids -steal your best friend's best work and life-long dream, and pass it off as your own - it PAYS BIG-TIME!!! And Kiri - not just being disgusted by it, letting it slide and even going with him (in other routes) - made me REALLY want to punch that writer. Next time I'm in Japan... yep. Gotta find that person. Of course, if it's a girl, I'll have to settle for sternly scolding her. OK

Cousins marrying - you're insulting a LOT of people in this world with your stern judgments and aspersions cast. On the subject of children - I have a brother with a genetics degree, spoke about it at length, then went online and got a better understanding from some Scientific Pubs and such on genealogy. Even siblings can have a child and the likelihood of there being disabilities or ANY issues is SMALL... The ISSUE with incest is NOT about a single-pairing. It is about successive pairings over several generations - such as in Royal bloodlines of old... dynasties and such.. A single incidence does reduce some of the genetic protections that a random pairing benefits from - but statistically, the increase in likelihood of problems _with that one pairing having offspring_ is not great. Unless there was already a significant incidence of in-breeding in the sibling's lineage. Don't take my word for it - go read about it yourself. The myth surrounding incest is just that - myth. Evolution does a pretty good job of removing "those" feelings from typical sibling relationships - as most of us are aware. Just like you close-minded types, the idea of hooking up with one of my sisters is ... unthinkable. May as well put me with a 100 yr old woman or ... hell, a dude. Which is just to say - totally not happening. BUT... if two people - people I knew or did not know - somehow managed to actually fall in love - feel the way that I have (like for at least a few of my girlfriends - past or present) - well, I DO NOT ENVY THEM. It's a social stigma almost everywhere - now cousins, eh... not so much. there's still quite a bit of diversity with the other two parents, plus the fact that there is no SAME parent, which is quite different from a sibling genetically (i.e. no chance of matching on a DNA test, for sure, even if they are TWINS)... well - like I said - I wouldn't envy them. It's not always just about the sex (and I am sure it wasn't in Hiroki's case with Elis - their relationship - in the VN anyway - was pretty deep... but regardless - to have a romantic love "in your heart" - it's not easy to put aside, now is it? IRL I mean. Now - I understand folks getting all "Rush Limbaugh" (conservative) about siblings. But not cousins. Nope. As has already been said - it's legal and socially accepted in Japan (these originated in Japan - you probably got that from the names, right? Just messin' with you) So -- try to relax, you'll probably live longer ;-)

Admittedly, I probably lean toward Kiri a little bit, but Ellis is right up there too [from the VN though.. not this anime. Heck - surprisingly, in the VN I liked almost all of the heroines. There _were_ a lot of them - I think for my VN experience the most I've encountered, though I know there are VNs with even more. Anyway - it's really difficult to not pick Kiri, honestly At the same time, it is a little painful to reject Ellis as well. The VN does a far better than typical job of fleshing most of the characters out - and especially Ellis and Kiri. I do recommend the VN for people who liked this anime title. Unless you just hate the medium, it is a welcome surprise in it's characterizations - aside from the
- that was just awful all around...

Since I didn't see the whole series, I can't claim that I would have liked the ending - but... I know I wouldn't have been screaming at the TV like so many people on MAL seem to have been doing. Incidentally, 16 yr old girls (she was 16 at the end) can legally get married in Japan. BUT... there are issues, depending on the prefecture (~state) for >20 male and <20 female unless Parent's of girl agree (he's her guardian, and I guess it's ok with him, so... lol.. don't know, seriously, what happens). Perhaps it's a crime - one easily avoided for the powerful and rich, of course... guess it's good they wound up in France. For the other girls, if their parents get cool with it, it can be permitted. Well - make friends with the parents boys....
aprilia1kFeb 5, 2022 1:04 AM
Apr 18, 2019 6:51 PM

Mar 2016
I felt this ending was pretty obvious, and it was hard to obscure behind the traumas Hiroki and Elis (Eris = discord haha get it) were going on about for the longest time. In the end Hiroki and Elis are finally 'true to themselves' by going against everything their peers had been instructing them to do (Paris/becoming a teacher). There are a lot of anime stories like this where the catharsis comes from characters doing what is unexpected, risky or impulsive. So I'm not really surprised, and unlike what others say I thought it built up to it in typical dramatic fashion. The 'incest' doesn't bother me.

The character writing in this was actually pretty decent, and it really stood out to me in the last 4 episodes, especially when Kiri and Elis were talking right before the accident. Hiroki was always this two-faced kind of guy so I think Kiri is better off to be honest (and maybe that's sort of the point, two damaged people lick each others wounds in an unhealthy relationship). To want him to get with Kiri is a big time misunderstanding of the kind of story this is. Not a bad drama I guess but it's been a while since I've watched an anime like this.

And I can't believe Tomoko is fucking dead.
syncrogazerApr 18, 2019 7:02 PM
Sep 23, 2019 7:36 AM

Nov 2012
No matter how I look it was a forced and wrong ending, made me wonder "what am I doing in my life".
Nov 22, 2019 9:51 PM
Sep 2012
This ending made me both angry and happy. For 23 episodes, they've been pushing Hiroki X Kiri on us with no hope of an Elis ending. I don't hate Kiri even though I'm Team Elis but out of nowhere Elis wins. Has the author ever heard of foreshadowing? Also, as a member of Team Elis would it kill them to give us more than 10 seconds of Hiroki X Elis or even a little buildup to that sexy ending?
Feb 15, 2020 10:36 AM
Feb 2013
It's kind of funny. I have a really long PTW list, so I have no idea why I added most of them anymore, and I picked this one at random to watch. When I saw it was "2", I came here to make sure I could watch it without being lost (usually I'd avoid forums or wikis or anything -- I hate spoilers of any sort), and saw the thread about the ending being surprising. I do like anime that go unexpectedly, because then you're not just waiting for the inevitable ending that you already know to come around, so if this show really did have an unexpected ending that I heard about somewhere, it would be no wonder I threw it on my PTW list.

Of course, this ending wasn't in any way unpredictable. I did prefer Elis to Kiri, and I don't have enough qualms with incest to count it as a negative as long as it's good, but this wasn't that. It wasn't predictable because there was a bunch of development between Hiroki and Elis that broke down the familial barriers between them and brought them closer together (if anything, it was the opposite), it was predictable because there was nothing in particular standing between Hiroki and Kiri and nothing developed between them anyway (both in the present and in the past), which in animeland means: congratulations to the other main girl (especially since, 9/10 times it's the "mainer" of the main girls). An MC making lovey eyes at one character and then going the other way by the end to pretend that there was character development is so played out and obvious (even back in 2005, I'm sure) that I'm kind of surprised people were surprised or angry about him going with Elis in the end. (Granted, it was abrupt, even for a show that played the "he's always loved her and only just now realized it" card.)

Especially since Hiroki didn't seem to be particularly conscious of either Elis or Kiri throughout the series, given that he would drag Kiri to meaningful events for Elis despite her hating Kiri, and would regularly ignore Kiri or ditch their plans at the last minute. Two of my favorite moments in the series were: 1) when Elis confessed to him, he was like, "Huh, is this April Fool's?" which seems like a totally disrespectful way to imply, "I'm not going to take you seriously," and 2) when Kiri told him she was going out to eat with Shin, he was like, "What are you going to eat?" which is just him saying he doesn't give a crap. I thought both were really funny, but I also thought that they were informing us that he wasn't looking at either of them in a romantic way, since it's demonstrating that he had a pattern of flippant behavior to both of them, which makes it hard to believe that deep down he was in love with either of them. Honestly, coming into this series expecting the ending to be surprising had me thinking towards the end that he would go with Kana, since she was dropping a bunch of hints about how she doesn't know how a little sister vs childhood friend situation can be resolved outside of taking a third option and drops a bunch of hints about liking him, which the other side characters don't do. THAT would have been surprising (albeit no less abrupt than the ending we did get), but obviously it was not to be.
Jun 24, 2020 6:32 PM
Jun 2019
I must say this, the mangaka of this anime is a low tier mangaka. Bland characters, poor timing, cliche story. The mangaka built up a relationship for 23 episodes, and right in the end of the episode 24, he just destroys it. Like, 23 fucking episodes, and right at the 24 he destroys that relationship. Don't even get me starting with the technical aspect of this mangaka's writing cause it's just bad. The ending was one of the worst endings to an anime serie. I wouldn't recommend this anime to anyone.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Canvas 2 Episode 2 Discussion

patient_senses - Oct 25, 2008

6 by AdityaRizkiS »»
Nov 14, 2023 11:47 AM

» So who was surprised at the ending? (spoiler)

burnttoast - Oct 12, 2007

43 by snakezenn »»
Jan 21, 2022 12:13 PM

Poll: » Canvas 2 Episode 10 Discussion

Zerachroma - Apr 12, 2008

8 by Noana »»
May 19, 2020 4:20 PM

Poll: » Canvas 2 Episode 16 Discussion

patient_senses - Oct 26, 2008

8 by Noana »»
May 19, 2020 12:24 PM

Poll: » Canvas 2 Episode 20 Discussion

Zerachroma - Apr 19, 2008

5 by otakukid »»
Oct 9, 2019 11:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.