Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
xxxHOLiC Omnibus
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 18, 2008 9:24 PM
Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow the spider woman was very cool. I agree with her philosophy, we can't just destroy things someone else has worked hard on. I also liked the kyuubi B-)

Good episode ^^ I might pick up the manga if there are more arcs like this.
Apr 19, 2008 1:48 AM

Mar 2008
was awesome.
glad to see it's actually following the manga strictly xD
loved the part where he(watanuki) fought the spider spirit, and won zashiki warashi back, and also the scene where he wakes up with his head on her lap, and she apoligizes.
the scene where yuuko was talking to herself, when watanuki feel asleep was quite nice too
(why does it seem like i love the ones where his head's on someone's lap? >.>)

oh...and loves for kudakitsune <3
Apr 20, 2008 4:46 AM

Nov 2007
Beautiful episode. Really. I love how well they animated and portrayed this arc, which is definitely one of the better ones of the story.

Also, Maro and Moro with Yamato and Tachikoma models ftw. :D
Apr 20, 2008 5:01 AM

Feb 2008
another great epi
kei is one major win this season

watanuki is the cutest thing ever ((:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2008 7:24 AM
Feb 2008
Aw...the ending to this ep was the cutest thing ever. =3 I adore this arc in the manga, and the anime does it well. <3
Apr 20, 2008 7:30 AM

Sep 2007
OK, WTF are they doing? The preview for Ep. 4 showed Watanuki with his blue again..
Apr 20, 2008 7:37 AM

Aug 2007
I really liked this episode, and this arc.
Apr 20, 2008 7:53 AM

Jul 2007
Chicken008 said:
OK, WTF are they doing? The preview for Ep. 4 showed Watanuki with his blue again..

What?! His right eye's gonna turn blue again? Well, that's kinda lame... But easily explainable, I guess. I just wish he'd stay heterochromic. Now it's like this arc never happened...

But anyway, nice ep and ending to the arc.
Apr 20, 2008 7:55 AM

Aug 2007
Chicken008 said:

I was wondering about that too. I hope they've changed it back to normal before it's aired.
Apr 20, 2008 8:07 AM
Nov 2007
Awesome episode but..was i the only one to notice this GITS tribute at min 15:57 ?

heh~

Apr 20, 2008 8:19 AM

Nov 2007
Luck said:
Awesome episode but..was i the only one to notice this GITS tribute at min 15:57 ?

heh~
Asako said:
Beautiful episode. Really. I love how well they animated and portrayed this arc, which is definitely one of the better ones of the story.

Apr 20, 2008 8:37 AM
Nov 2007
Asako said:
Luck said:

heh~
Asako said:

Dam. sry. That's what i get for not reading throughly apparently
LuckApr 20, 2008 9:40 AM

Apr 20, 2008 11:13 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Great wrap up for this arc. They stuck pretty close to the manga, which was awesome. I miss all the curly smoke, but I supposed you can't really animate that well... and the scene with Watanuki and Zashiki-Warashi was done very well.

Chicken008 said:
They coloured his eye here for effect. In reality, his eye colour would not have changed. He did not lose his eye but his sight. Doumeki gave him half of his sight, so it doesn't really change the colour of the eye. In all the colour pages CLAMP have done since this arc, his eye has remained blue. This was a stylistic touch by the animators.

Yumekai next episode! Wow, they're just bustling right along, jumping over the little arcs and into the next big one.
Apr 20, 2008 11:30 AM

Feb 2008
Wow, an amazing episode.
I love the philosophies of xxxHolic in general and I found myself nodding at Spider Woman's speech and Yuuko's.

I'm loving this season so much. Let's hope it stays that way.

Edit: Watanuki was adorable in this episode <3
Apr 20, 2008 12:48 PM

Dec 2007
all i have to say about the series is in one word, "WOW" it is trully beatiful and verry good
those girls @ CLAMP really know how to make anime
banzai for them

Sumeragi Kururu - Pledge Queen of Tool Toul To

Apr 20, 2008 1:11 PM

Jan 2008
Only the third episode and we have a great episode! The ending was so happy and nice :)
Apr 20, 2008 2:21 PM

Oct 2007
Another wonderful episode! It was wonderful to see Watanuki saving the Zashiki-warashi from the clutches of Jurou-Gumo finally animated – actually, I was glad to see the whole arc being animated, it is after all, my current favourite arc in ×××HOLiC.

I was quite surprised on how my extraneous clips there were – extraneous meaning not found in the magna. I was quite surprised, a pleasant one that is, to see Ame-warashi visiting Yuukio's shop, because she was worried about her friend, the Zashiki-warashi. Although this and other (minor) scenes weren't found in the manga, it followed the spirit of it and in my humble opinion, enhanced the series as a whole. =)

I can't wait until the next episode! It looks like we're going to be meeting the Dream Buyer next, which I was rather surprised at, because I was expecting to meet Raijuu next and since he was apart of the introductory song I thought he would make an appearance in the anime. However, I reckon meeting Raijuu could be postponed to a future filler episode. In any case, I can't wait for the next episode!

Kineta said:
Chicken008 said:
They coloured his eye here for effect. In reality, his eye colour would not have changed. He did not lose his eye but his sight. Doumeki gave him half of his sight, so it doesn't really change the colour of the eye. In all the colour pages CLAMP have done since this arc, his eye has remained blue. This was a stylistic touch by the animators.
Well, I wouldn't say all their art work – the first couple of pages in the eleventh volume of the manga have Watanuki with heterochromatic eyes, but you're right most of CLAMP's artwork after this particular arc has both his eyes blue. =)
Apr 20, 2008 2:22 PM

Oct 2007
Wow, I loved this episode! One of my favorites (out of first and second season so far) ^_^

Pipe fox<3
Watanuki without his glasses<33
Great episode as a whole<333

I swear I'll never get tired of seeing Watanuki flail around! XD
Apr 20, 2008 2:42 PM

Mar 2008
This episode was absolutely breathtaking.

My favorite scene was at the end with Yuuko and Watanuki. Everything she says is brilliant..
nis-chanApr 20, 2008 2:49 PM
Apr 20, 2008 3:23 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Taylor_Tertius said:
Well, I wouldn't say all their art work – the first couple of pages in the eleventh volume of the manga have Watanuki with heterochromatic eyes, but you're right most of CLAMP's artwork after this particular arc has both his eyes blue. =)
Now that's curious. This arc ended at Chapter 92 ... the next colour pages were the beginning of tank 9 (Chapter 97) and his eyes were blue. The beginning of the next tank (10 - Chapter 109) his eyes are blue again. Next (Chp 121), like you said, his right eye is hazel. Tank 12, you can't tell, and Tank 13 they're heterochromatic again.... I wonder if they forgot for a while, or if they only draw them that way when something significant just happened? Now I'm confused xD Haha. Oh wells.

So basically, the eye colour is messed up -- but don't sweat it, because I can promise you they don't forget about Watanuki having half of Doumeki's sight.
Apr 20, 2008 3:34 PM

Feb 2008
very nice very nice. the GITS ref was cool too. although i think that was a long way to go to teach him a lesson. but i guess it was necessary.

herheart can grant 100 years? thats kind of short for a spirit though. it would be more interesting if it were like 400 years. she seems far more valuable than that. maybe that was just one aspect.
Apr 20, 2008 10:31 PM

Sep 2007
My favorite episode out of either season. Watanuki seriously impressed me this time. Going in to that spider's lair, using the glass to keep himself awake and as a weapon, accepting Doumeki's eye...

I want more of this Watanuki and MUCH less of spaz-mode Watanuki.
Apr 21, 2008 12:02 AM

May 2007
This is one of the things I love most about Holic. It's a nice philosophy anime. You can be nice and worry about others but also value yourself. Others would get hurt if one they treasured treat his/her own life like a trash. In other words, committing suicide is a no-no lol.

Perhaps they're not gonna stress the half-half vision of Watanuki and Doumeki share in the future like in the manga. Coloring it brown and blue would be weird in the anime.
Apr 21, 2008 12:44 AM

Sep 2007
This episode was so... epic, even though I found the smoke animation at the beginning a little, well not very well done.

Best Holic arc imo.
Apr 21, 2008 8:48 PM

Jun 2007
Awesome episode is awesome. :D

Watanuki was impressive and, best of all, he grew. Doumeki giving up half his sight has always been one of my favorite aspects of the Spider Grudge Arc, and it was just as good here as in the manga.

Kei is kicking some serious ass, I must say.
Apr 22, 2008 1:40 AM

Mar 2008
This episode was just great! and kind of touching.

I just love the Zashiki-warashi(vestal sprite), glad shes back <3

That thing about not doing things for others because the other person will feel bad is kind of a paradox though I mean they might feel bad that your not helping them to make themsleves feel good and that kind of kills the point lol

If this season continues in this direction I might raise my score to a 9 maybe even a 10? O,O who's the one jerk who voted disliked? >_< I will kill them lol just kidding ..................................or am I? muahahaha
traedApr 22, 2008 1:43 AM
Apr 22, 2008 1:52 AM
Apr 2008
I haven't seen any anime that had this much improvement in less than another season's time. This series may very well turn into one of CLAMP's masterpieces as far as animation goes if they continue improving the series like this.
Apr 22, 2008 11:16 PM

Mar 2008
^ well it was a year between the seasons though so the animators might have had practice, and as for story well thats from the manga and I dont know if their was a time gap for that or not
Apr 23, 2008 3:04 AM
Apr 2008
Really good. BGM here is another topic - the last background theme in this episode is truly awesome.
Season 2 gives me a lot of hopes\)
Apr 24, 2008 3:08 AM

Mar 2008
This was the greatest episode ever. @.@ **faints from too much adoration* I actually watch it twice. And I'll watch it again if the next one don't apear soon. >.<
Watanuki was simply adorable. And.....He seemd more mature O.o That's a first.
Apr 24, 2008 3:16 AM

Nov 2007
Shuhiyo said:
Really good. BGM here is another topic - the last background theme in this episode is truly awesome.
Season 2 gives me a lot of hopes)

It's not new. It's "Enishi" from the first OST. I don't think there has been any new music so far, though I may rewatch it all and listen more carefully soon.
Apr 25, 2008 2:40 PM

Jun 2007
Loved this episode! They said such true things! :D
Pipefox!!!!! <3 and Watanuki without glasses :D

Apr 27, 2008 11:53 AM

Nov 2007
I cried so hard, haha. Beautiful episode. I really enjoyed it. I hope this sets the standard for the rest of the season. ^^
May 3, 2008 6:11 AM
Dec 2007
Thus ends this wonderful story arc ! I loved it, that's so much better than filler episodes...

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 3, 2008 11:51 PM

Feb 2007
AH! It took me about a week after I downloaded the episode before I got the time to watch it, but damn, it was worth the wait. Terrific ending to the arc. Great philosophy and touching moments. Hopefully I can watch Ep 4 sometime in the next couple of days.
Jun 22, 2008 8:57 AM

Feb 2008
great episode, never thought watanuki can be this kakkoi when he rescued the zashiki warashi

Sep 5, 2008 4:50 PM

Jun 2008
That was seriously... one of the BEST opening arcs I have ever seen. o_o
Just plain awesome. =P

So I guess Watanuki's just gonna have multi-colored eyes for the rest of the series? That's kind of sweet... in a way.

Much love to this season!!! Even though I've only seen 3 episodes so far. ^__^

Sig WILL change soon~
Nov 3, 2008 8:30 AM
Sep 2008
Lol, Tachikomas and warships XD
Great arc, but I hope they will still include the arc with Himawari and the fall from the window, but looking at the (great) OP it will be in =3
Dec 3, 2008 4:01 AM

Jan 2008
Freaking brilliant episode.

/ Tachikoma!! lol
Apr 22, 2009 10:25 AM

Mar 2009
Amazing episode; amazing arc!
I'm loving Kei so far!!

But I would have liked to see Watanuki than Doumeki for half his sight...seems like the kind of thing that is owed an "arigato" LOL
May 8, 2009 7:00 AM
May 2008
Awesome episode and great arc... one of the longest for the both seasons of the anime. Yuuko... she so wise... mmmhmmm.
Dead Account
Please Delete
May 19, 2009 9:39 PM

Apr 2009
Cool, also it reminded me of Trigun when Watanuki used pain to not faint.
May 31, 2009 5:03 AM

Aug 2007
What a beautiful episode! I also liked when they gave the pipe fox a blanket when he fell asleep! so cute.
Aug 30, 2009 4:56 PM
Jun 2009
the guys on surfborads finally nice to watanuki =D
though this episode is totally different from the normal xxxholic
eye eating, glass cutting...it feels like the tsubasa chronicle OVA's all over again...
Nov 2, 2009 7:34 AM
Jul 2008
What an incredibly good episode. I wish they there were many more anime just as original, enjoyable and meaningful as this one is.
Do not fear darkness. A path of shadows can only end into the light.
Apr 24, 2010 8:57 PM

Aug 2008
loved this ep how watanuki and zashiki warashi act!
May 8, 2010 6:50 AM

Apr 2009
Wow what a great episode! I'm not usually enthralled by what Yuuko says but her statements on the last scene in this episode jolted me! Absolutely love it!

The pipe fox was cool! And the Tachikoma and Yamato model....hehehe
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
May 29, 2010 12:55 PM

Nov 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed this arc to begin the season. There's definitely been a step-up in the animation from last season, and it's demonstrated well with the action here in episode 3.

The best episodes and arcs in xxxHolic have a lesson to them, and this one did. Watanuki is learning that self-sacrifice can be selfish, insulting, or burdensome. He needs to consider the feelings of others more.

Really good stuff here. Like when Watanuki had to cut himself with the glass so the adrenaline would keep him conscious.
Jul 2, 2010 8:34 PM

May 2010
Yeah, I might need to read the manga too. Awesome arc, I loved the spider woman.

10/10
Jul 23, 2010 2:26 AM

Jul 2010
i think this episode brougth us a new aspect of watanuki who was able to overcome all the adversities that were given to him in order to save Zashiki-warashi and which he acomplish but it almost cost him his life and his whole bosy lol
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » xxxHOLiC - Kei Episode 9 Discussion

darkside099 - Jun 2, 2008

40 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Oct 5, 2023 2:29 AM

Poll: » xxxHOLiC - Kei Episode 8 Discussion

Jacut - May 28, 2008

37 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Oct 5, 2023 2:23 AM

Poll: » xxxHOLiC - Kei Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Pokedude97 - Jul 19, 2008

60 by WatchSymphogear »»
Apr 11, 2023 6:53 PM

» Where can I find the original 4:3 version?

Leblunk - Dec 1, 2022

2 by Leblunk »»
Feb 16, 2023 3:20 PM

» English Dub?

PrimalWrath - Jul 14, 2010

9 by MeMeBakugo »»
Nov 9, 2022 1:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.